ADVERTISEMENT

I don't believe we need a new head coach just a great defensive coordinator

ndnd

Posts Like A Champion
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2003
Ara had Johnny Ray and Kelly needs one fast - Kelly is a great offensive guy needs a smart defensive coordinator and special teams coordinator to help him

Agree NDND. No reason they cannot get the best D-Staff in the business....Mid-year is tough and there are contracts but no reason the off season will not see a big time hire....Nothing against Greg but they are probably going to look for a name with an excellent resume.

Ara had Johnny Ray and Kelly needs one fast - Kelly is a great offensive guy needs a smart defensive coordinator and special teams coordinator to help him
The DC doesn't make Kelly wet his pants during trying moments of big games. Or he doesn't make BK be unprepared and call timeout right before punting.

Kelly is trash. No man's land , no identity.

Hopefully he hires a rising star like Sanford and not one of his old friends...

I want to believe this so bad. But your staff is a reflection of you as a head coach. If Kelly hires someone this bad, how can we trust he'll make the right hires and delegate responsibility in the most efficient way?

I want to believe this so bad. But your staff is a reflection of you as a head coach. If Kelly hires someone this bad, how can we trust he'll make the right hires and delegate responsibility in the most efficient way?
Add in fact he was OK wearing egg on his face to defend his hire and ATROCIOUS job of his BFF

**** Brian Kelly❕

If Les miles got axed...

Then I ask...
WTF ARE WE DOING?????????????

You don't have faith that BK will hire a qualified DC yet he hired Bob Eliott, Mike Denbrock, Mike Sanford, Autry Denson, and Harry Hiestand and you all like them. I think what some are really looking for is a flashy sexy name and perhaps not a lesser known qualified DC.

/i posted this on another thread but it is more appropriate for this one.

some general thoughts on this subject. First of all I want Coach Kelly to succeed, Yes I do not want him fired. If he picks the proper D-Coordinator AKA some one on the level of Diaco then with Kelly's offense and a solid D we will be a top 10 team year in year out and in the conversation 3-4 years and possibly 1 good run at a NC in a 4 year period. That said, as we all know when a coach is forced to fire a high profile coordinator and things do not go well the next step is a new regime the BOT and AD will be on the prowl. So I wish Coach Kelly the best here otherwise the next step is the unenjoyment line. For those folks who think like cvgr etc and want a new Head Coach the transitions are not always pleasant and should think about we may be better off with kelly if he does the right thing

/i posted this on another thread but it is more appropriate for this one.

some general thoughts on this subject. First of all I want Coach Kelly to succeed, Yes I do not want him fired. If he picks the proper D-Coordinator AKA some one on the level of Diaco then with Kelly's offense and a solid D we will be a top 10 team year in year out and in the conversation 3-4 years and possibly 1 good run at a NC in a 4 year period. That said, as we all know when a coach is forced to fire a high profile coordinator and things do not go well the next step is a new regime the BOT and AD will be on the prowl. So I wish Coach Kelly the best here otherwise the next step is the unenjoyment line. For those folks who think like cvgr etc and want a new Head Coach the transitions are not always pleasant and should think about we may be better off with kelly if he does the right thing

Zona, your off on this one - BK definitely needs to be replaced. How many in game coaching blunders do you think are alright to have in a season ? BK makes on average some serious in game coaching blunders at least 2 games per season. i.e. a timeout at the end of a game right before a "punt" ? poor offensive scheme - poor red zone offense - poor special teams for most of the years - poor player development - poor interaction w/ his players - throwing his players under the bus - the in game gaffes alone make him not qualified to be the head coach at ND. The first one was against Tulsa w/ that play call he made in his first season. And he has made numerous other gaffes - As noted in another thread - the good coaches do not make this many coaching gaffes - ND needs a new coach plain and simple. People keep saying - who we gonna get ? ND needs to quit "settling" - ND is settling w/ BK. a good coach will come to the forefront. BK has shown like CW that you can still recruit to ND - someone very good will want this job - JS needs to find that new coach.

Zona, your off on this one - BK definitely needs to be replaced. How many in game coaching blunders do you think are alright to have in a season ? BK makes on average some serious in game coaching blunders at least 2 games per season. i.e. a timeout at the end of a game right before a "punt" ? poor offensive scheme - poor red zone offense - poor special teams for most of the years - poor player development - poor interaction w/ his players - throwing his players under the bus - the in game gaffes alone make him not qualified to be the head coach at ND. The first one was against Tulsa w/ that play call he made in his first season. And he has made numerous other gaffes - As noted in another thread - the good coaches do not make this many coaching gaffes - ND needs a new coach plain and simple. People keep saying - who we gonna get ? ND needs to quit "settling" - ND is settling w/ BK. a good coach will come to the forefront. BK has shown like CW that you can still recruit to ND - someone very good will want this job - JS needs to find that new coach.

Blessings : I understand the thought process and your belief. Coaches in general are an odd lot of people. Gaffs come with the territory. i can forget and forgive. Every board criticizes their coaches even the Bama site. This is always based play calling and or a coordinator they have. I won't fault a coach for play calling because on the average they will call the best overall scheme. So, a bad call here and here generally does not lose games. I guarantee bad play does or turnovers. There are several things you need for a good team. Solid overall coaching, Good QB, Solid O-line, a couple of go to guys, good special teams play and a defense that will make stops for you. We may agree to disagree on the Coaching I think kelly is a good coach and overall decent coaching (not where it should be this year) Good Special teams, An offense and QB with some go to players. An O-line that is not playing where it should be but is solid. And of course there is the D. Not much I can say about that its plane flat out awful. Where I think Kelly is flawed is he actually will say what he feels at times even though he has that politician way about him. That is where the Gaff's come. I really do not want a robot as a coach. Where I think his biggest flaw with Kelly is he let his friendship get in the way of making a decision to fire BVG last year. That may be his undoing. He has a chance to get everything back in order if he does he will retire with Notre Dame if not we may have a new regime in place. The problem with a new regime it could be some poor pic overall like a Willingham or faust etc. So be careful what you wish for. I wish Kelly success. And if he fails i hope the admin works with the next coach better

You don't have faith that BK will hire a qualified DC yet he hired Bob Eliott, Mike Denbrock, Mike Sanford, Autry Denson, and Harry Hiestand and you all like them. I think what some are really looking for is a flashy sexy name and perhaps not a lesser known qualified DC.
I'm looking for someone that will teach ND how to impose it's will and not run around the May pole....

Again guys, this is year 7 not 1, 2 or 3. Let's say he hires a new DC then give him a couple years to implement his defense that puts Kelly into year 9. Exactly how long do you think Kelly is going to last at ND? Lou, Ara and Leahy only lasted 11 years.

The time is well past for turning the program around by ND standards Kelly has been here an extremely long time

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT