ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops: Full Rundown from today's practice

MMcCormick

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2004
Rex Pflueger: Got my first live look at Rex. He's smaller than I thought. A good inch shorter than Vasturia. I'd say he's 6'5 and pretty thin. He's got a funny shot that is concerning. His release point is way too low for a college player. It's an awkward shot put style shot from almost the side of his head. Just looking at that shot it's hard for me to imagine he'll be a great shooter. The good news is other than the funky release he's a player. What I liked best is he's always in motion. Has great movement for a freshman. He's a very good passer, good ball handler and most importantly he's a very aggressive explove rebounder. He's got some Pat Connaugton toughness to his game where he's not afraid to go get a rebound. He's the most college ready of the freshman due to his motor and athleticism. He's built like a 2 but I think he'll actually be a better rebounder than any of our 3's and make get a look there. He also was able to stay in front of Jackson when he covered him. Gonna be a good one. The difference beween him and other players on the team is confidence. He's got that Vasturia confidence that will allow him to play early.

Matt Ryan: Much bigger than I imagined he'd be. His height is as advertised. He's about 6 7.5 but he's built. He's got to be pushing 225. He's built like Tim Abromatis. He's almost big enough to play some 4. He's wide shouldered and has a pretty good wing span. Physically he looks like a junior or senior. Athletically he's a little better than I thought. He moved well and dunked during some layup drills. I never saw him dunk in a game last year in any highlight. His shot is as advertised. An absolute work of art. He's got the already be the best shooter on the team. He's comfortable out to 25 feet, and during warmups put on a show. During the scrimmage he missed all of his threes but several were in and out. He's a hell of passer for a big guy. Brey's going to have a field day with this kid. I don't think he'll make the impact of Pflueger just because he does not look quite as fearless as Pflueger. But the kid is going to be a really good player.

Elijah Burns: A project, but going to be a good player. Little dissapointed in his size. He's a 6'8 guy not the 6'9 he's been listed at. He's also not a particulary wide or long kid. He's very thick, but does not have that Bonzi Colson basketball length. I suspect a redshirt this year. He's good good athletic ability, but nothing eye opening. Average speed up the court. Average jumper. Good strength. Handles the ball pretty well.

Steve Vasturia: Only guy not to dunk in a dunk drill. Has no vertical and makes you wonder if he can dunk. Still has a kink in his shot, and missed about half his threes in warmups. Did not look to be near the shooter that Ryan or Beachem is. Then the game started.... Was the best player on the court. Hit three or four threes in a 30 minute scrimmage. Drove the lane, played defense. He's a ridiculously confident player. He just seems to understand the game better than anybody else and always knows which way to cut. I suspect he'll have a big year

Beachem: Athletically he's an NBA player. Beachem has a ton of talent, but still needs to assert himself like the "aggressive guys" on the team. That crew includes Jackson, Vasturia, Colson, Plueger and to my suprise Matt Farrel. Those are the fighters on the team. I think he's going to have a big year, but he's got to mix it up.

Colson: Colson is like Vasturia. There is nothing in his warmup that suggests he can play. And then the game starts. He just knows how to play post basketball. At his height it should not be possible. He's no more than 6'5 but player 6'8. Looks a little more confident in his outside shot, and I suspect we'll see more range.

Geben: More athletic than I thought. He's got the ability, but he's at the other end of the spectrum from Vasturia. He completely lacks confidence. Missed three bunnies in a row on one play. He's lost weight, seemed to be moving and jumping better but once the scrimmage started it wasn't good.

Matt Farrel: He certainly belongs on sholarship. He's an inch shorter than Jackson, and an inch taller than Inglesby. But he's got pretty good hops, pretty good speed and he's an aggressive kid. Really aggressive. I think he play some this year.

Burgett: He's got the athletic ability to help. He's a good 6'8.5. But that shot kills him. It's a terrible release and it's never gotten better. I don't see him being able to hit the shot. He also is built like a freshman. He doesn't look like he's every lifted a weight in his life. Ryan looks like a tight end compared to him.

Torres: The one other guy who impressed me was Torres. He's going to play some for Notre Dame and was really underrated coming out of high school. I thought he was generously listed at 6'7 and was really a 6'5 or 6'6 at best kid. He's not. He's a legit 6'7 is very strong and is our most athletic big man. Next to Jackson he's the best athlete on the team. I think he'll contribute even more this year.

Got some videos I'll try and post tommorow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.