ADVERTISEMENT

Great....so everyone wants a new coach..umm here's the problem

irishcatman

Posts Like A Champion
Dec 5, 2004
Who exactly would we get??? Now l'm sure there are coaches that would jump at the chance...BUT....are they Championship caliber coaches??? l mean let's face it...there's really no more Urban Meyers or Nick Sabans out there...so that means we would be stuck with another 8-4 or 7-5 type mediocrity...

2 coaches l like
Tom Herman..(and l've liked him even before he was a hot commodity at UH)..Herman desperately wants to get into a POWER 5 Conference, and has proven he can make it work with pretty much any athletes
The other is that coach at ....wait for it......NDSU..yeah l know it's FCS, but hear me out..for those of you that watch the FCS Playoffs every year you see a team in The Bison that have consistently played at a high caliber REGARDLESS of player losses..5 time NC..that doesn't happen by accident..oh and BTW l still think BK can win it all here, he just needs to can BVG and start all over with the defense

Who exactly would we get??? Now l'm sure there are coaches that would jump at the chance...BUT....are they Championship caliber coaches??? l mean let's face it...there's really no more Urban Meyers or Nick Sabans out there...so that means we would be stuck with another 8-4 or 7-5 type mediocrity...

2 coaches l like
Tom Herman..(and l've liked him even before he was a hot commodity at UH)..Herman desperately wants to get into a POWER 5 Conference, and has proven he can make it work with pretty much any athletes
The other is that coach at ....wait for it......NDSU..yeah l know it's FCS, but hear me out..for those of you that watch the FCS Playoffs every year you see a team in The Bison that have consistently played at a high caliber REGARDLESS of player losses..5 time NC..that doesn't happen by accident..oh and BTW l still think BK can win it all here, he just needs to can BVG and start all over with the defense

Petersen - Wa. - Herman (sp) Houston - I'd put out strong feelers to those 2 and try to get 1 of them.

The problem is there will be several other high profile jobs open after the season, in prime recruiting states, that offer a little less resistance to fielding a championship team than at Notre Dame. USC, LSU and ND all call where does the smart coach go????

I would be SHOCKED if BK is not here next year. The defensive coaches not so much.

It is a good thing App State or NDSU are not on the schedule this year........yikes!?

GET BETTER NOW!!!

2 coaches l like
You see defense as the only problem?? Special teams are terrible. Offensive structure is terrible. A time out blown yesterday at a a key point when ND had 12 men on the field. No rushing attack; and on and on. And you think we just need to replace the defensive coordinator.

I have no idea who is out there ? Here is a question for all ND fans. Did anyone really know a lot about Ara
before ND hired him?
I am also an old Yankee fan, and I remember when the Yankees hired Casey Stengle ( hope I spelled it correctly ), everyone though that i was a joke ?
so one never knows? what we do know is that Kelly was a very good coach at Cinn. He is also not the right guy for ND. Seven years is enough or should be enough !

I don't think it matters if the Irish switch coaches. Any coach who takes the job will encounter the same issues. Let's be honest, the Duke freshman QB is pretty dam good. The best player on the field was the kid who ran the kick back for a TD. I know people follow the recruiting stars. I follow what I see. I see the simple fact that outside of maybe 3 or 4 players, the talent on this team isn't that good. It's sub par. That's one of the reasons why they are losing. Players make plays. There were a few ,mostly on offense. That's it. Kelly is not a very good coach and the administration won't allow the players needed to win, to get in the university. So they could hire Bill Bellicheck, it wouldn't matter. Until they commit to having a truly great football program, mediocre to bad football teams will remain the norm.

The other is that coach at ....wait for it......NDSU..yeah l know it's FCS, but hear me out..for those of you that watch the FCS Playoffs every year you see a team in The Bison that have consistently played at a high caliber REGARDLESS of player losses..5 time NC..that doesn't happen by accident..

That's actually a pretty good "outside the box" hire. Certainly worth considering...

The problem is there will be several other high profile jobs open after the season, in prime recruiting states, that offer a little less resistance to fielding a championship team than at Notre Dame. USC, LSU and ND all call where does the smart coach go????
High profiles not necessary but compident with the understanding of what Notre Dame is, and what will work here

I have no idea who is out there ? Here is a question for all ND fans. Did anyone really know a lot about Ara
before ND hired him?
I am also an old Yankee fan, and I remember when the Yankees hired Casey Stengle ( hope I spelled it correctly ), everyone though that i was a joke ?
so one never knows? what we do know is that Kelly was a very good coach at Cinn. He is also not the right guy for ND. Seven years is enough or should be enough !
Exactly. This argument to keep Kelly "because there is nobody else" is pointless. First, nobody on this board has the resources ND has to conduct a real coaching search. Second, the Kelly apologist dismiss any suggestion with the tired old, "he won't come"

The worst thing about the "Keep Kelly because there is nobody better" defense is it epitomizes the play-not-to-lose" mentality of the coach and this program. Please, let's not risk being great because we may fail, better to remain mediocre.

before ND hired him?

Let's go Mets

1 major bowl win at Notre Dame in seven years is not too much to want

Reactions: Java65
Kelly will be the coach next year if he wants to be. However, if I overlooked anything other than winning, assuming Saban and Meyer are out, I would hire Petrino. He won big at Louisville, big at AR, Made W. KY respectable and now is kicking bu$$ at Louisville again. Not going to happen, but if we're dreaming, this guy is a winner when it comes to football. Probably not a good fit for ND for other reasons.

Let's go Mets

1 major bowl win at Notre Dame in seven years is not too much to want

METS ? I have to admit that they are better than my Yankees !
At one time it was said " Never bet against Joe Louis, The Yankees, and Notre Dame" Of course Joe Louis
died and from the results of the the way they have been playing The Yankees and ND don't have much of a pulse !
Semper Fi !

The guy to never bet against was Muhammed Ali. That's unless he was fighting Joe Frazier. Then it was a toss up. The good news is that the Irish have the talent to compete and beat every team left on their schedule. The questionis will the Irish play up to their talent level?

I don't think it matters if the Irish switch coaches. Any coach who takes the job will encounter the same issues. Let's be honest, the Duke freshman QB is pretty dam good. The best player on the field was the kid who ran the kick back for a TD. I know people follow the recruiting stars. I follow what I see. I see the simple fact that outside of maybe 3 or 4 players, the talent on this team isn't that good. It's sub par. That's one of the reasons why they are losing. Players make plays. There were a few ,mostly on offense. That's it. Kelly is not a very good coach and the administration won't allow the players needed to win, to get in the university. So they could hire Bill Bellicheck, it wouldn't matter. Until they commit to having a truly great football program, mediocre to bad football teams will remain the norm.
I agree with the talent assessment (Bad recruiting) but don't agree Duke had better personnel (Bad coaching). I do agree that if we want to compete with the big boys, then admissions will have to change. With that being said, if we change admission standards, then there will be a lot of players ineligible due to grades. I would rather see them disband the program before admitting a bunch of thugs to compete and I don't think it is necessary. Stanford and other programs have proven this.

Give me a break. How many players are in the NFL right now that played at ND over the last 10 years? It's a big number. We may not be able to go after everybody we want, but that doesn't preclude us from getting enough talent to compete for a title. Stanford's admissions department is stricter than ours, and they have a top 10 program.

Give me a break. How many players are in the NFL right now that played at ND over the last 10 years? It's a big number. We may not be able to go after everybody we want, but that doesn't preclude us from getting enough talent to compete for a title. Stanford's admissions department is stricter than ours, and they have a top 10 program.

ND hasn't had title talent since Holtz was the coach. That's a fact. The year they played Bama was a fluke. Every bounce, call and in between went their way. Then they play Bama and get crushed. That game was over in 5 minutes. As far as the NFL there are lots of teams who put talent in the NFL. Big deal. I know what I see. The players are good not great. If they had great players teams like Duke wouldn't stand a chance. Watch Navy and Army beat the so called NFLers this year. If they just want a competitive team, great! They got one. But stop the BS that the goal is national championship. It's a lie and the administration knows it. If they want championships then they need better players. Plain and simple. Once better players are allowed to get in, better coaches will follow. Otherwise join the Ivy League where you can maybe win a conference.

I agree with the talent assessment (Bad recruiting) but don't agree Duke had better personnel (Bad coaching). I do agree that if we want to compete with the big boys, then admissions will have to change. With that being said, if we change admission standards, then there will be a lot of players ineligible due to grades. I would rather see them disband the program before admitting a bunch of thugs to compete and I don't think it is necessary. Stanford and other programs have proven this.

I'm not saying to admit a bad or players or thugs. I am saying that there are some elite players that don't get a look at all due to grades. But maybe on an individual basis let a few in every year. Holtz was given a lot of leeway and look at the results. Then the sudden no! We aren't a football factory and clamped down. It's been that way ever since.

I'm not saying to admit a bad or players or thugs. I am saying that there are some elite players that don't get a look at all due to grades. But maybe on an individual basis let a few in every year. Holtz was given a lot of leeway and look at the results. Then the sudden no! We aren't a football factory and clamped down. It's been that way ever since.
I don't think the Administration will budge on this. This is why UM did not take the job. He specifically requested this and was told no.

Reactions: tkirish

2 coaches l like

who? you mean who can go 1-6?
who? you mean who can say one thing and do another?
who? who throws his QB and rest of the team under the bus?

You're correct we have our guy!

METS ? I have to admit that they are better than my Yankees !
At one time it was said " Never bet against Joe Louis, The Yankees, and Notre Dame" Of course Joe Louis
died and from the results of the the way they have been playing The Yankees and ND don't have much of a pulse !
Semper Fi !

Well said the Giants never fall and don't get back up

Bob Diaco. Young, energetic, handsome, well spoken, excellent recruiter, understands ND. His defense carried ND to the NC game in 2012. Go get him ND. Tell him his Mother needs him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT