ADVERTISEMENT

Freddy Canteen thoughts?

hoopsstar12

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 16, 2008
I know nothing about our new grad transfer from Michigan. Any one folllow his career? Word is that he is fast. Will he have any impact next year?

Has two years of eligibility left, grad transfers are low risk high reward, ND always comes in below schollarship numbers anyway.

I know nothing about our new grad transfer from Michigan. Any one folllow his career? Word is that he is fast. Will he have any impact next year?

Played his frosh year under Hoke. Saw very limited action in Harbaughs first year (1 reception) and saw none in year 2. Been injury prone. Switched him to DB but couldn't crack lineup there either. Not offered post grad spot at UM. I doubt he makes any meaningful contribution at ND though he has the frame and was highly touted out of H.S.

He is from my area went to a high school where it's only football pretty much no school work. I guess in college injuries got him

only makes sense if they are considering a shift to DB (2 yrs of elig. left)
3 catches: 18 yds as a 5th year guy?

only makes sense if they are considering a shift to DB (2 yrs of elig. left)
3 catches: 18 yds as a 5th year guy?

Before he was injured, he had been working with defensive backs at Michigan. In 2015, 247 reported it as a permanent switch to corner. So he already has a start on the transition.Shoulder injuries take a long time to heal properly, if they ever do.

And he's got speed. That's never a bad thing. Even as a receiver, it wouldn't seem a bad move to me. He was a 2014 recruit, and the WR's we had in our '14 Class have transferred.

Last edited:
Seems low risk move older guy college experience can contribute on special teams worst case and may be in the rotation or step in if there is injury

Reactions: IRISHJD98
Excerpt from a 2015 Detroit newspaper article:

Canteen moves again: Sophomore Freddy Canteen is on the move again.

After spending last season as a slot receiver, he split time between cornerback and receiver in this fall's training camp before settling at receiver.

He caught only one pass and now is back at corner, where Zordich thinks he has potential.

"He's been with us the last couple weeks," Zordich said. "I'd like to see him stay. He's got some great ability there. I think he can be a really good corner. It'd be fun."

As Stribling and Jeremy Clark battle for time at cornerback opposite All-America candidate Jourdan Lewis, Brandon Watson joins Canteen in the mix pushing those two.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/c...michigan-wolverines-defensive-backs/75193112/

Played his frosh year under Hoke. Saw very limited action in Harbaughs first year (1 reception) and saw none in year 2. Been injury prone. Switched him to DB but couldn't crack lineup there either. Not offered post grad spot at UM. I doubt he makes any meaningful contribution at ND though he has the frame and was highly touted out of H.S.

That 2015 Michigan team had Peppers, Jourdan Lewis and Channing Stribling for defensive backs.

Everything about Michigan sucks. But no reason to hang your head if you couldn't "crack" that group in fall camp while splitting time with receivers.

Baffles me. He seems like a great athlete but what position and has never really played.

Maybe a practice player at CB.

He graduated in 3 years so he is a good student.

If he brings his playbook he could help for 2018. He ran a 4.4 in highschool maybe he is the next Fuller.

obviously a good student and good athlete out of high school. I do not know how much he contributes but having some senior leadership is always a good thing

Reactions: Bodizephax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT