ADVERTISEMENT

Elko recruiting North Carolina hard.

It's a shame that that ND is really only looking to take one more linebacker this year because I want Dallas Gant, Terrance Taylor, Cameron McGrone, Ovie Oghoufo, Bo Bauer, Dax Hollifield, Payton Wilson, Terada Mitchell, Palaie Gaoteote, Alston Orji, etc, etc.... This a completely monstrous year for linebackes around the country.

Eklo's staff had some good success with defensive recruits in Georgia last year too - 5 signed LOI on signing day, plus they lost a (good) GA safety commit after Elko took the ND job. So Elko may have some 2018 GA talent scoped out well too.

Last edited:
It's a shame that that ND is really only looking to take one more linebacker this year because I want Dallas Gant, Terrance Taylor, Cameron McGrone, Ovie Oghoufo, Bo Bauer, Dax Hollifield, Payton Wilson, Terada Mitchell, Palaie Gaoteote, Alston Orji, etc, etc.... This a completely monstrous year for linebackes around the country.
Palaie is a BEAST. Legit 5 star. We have a good shot with him he starts at LB as a freshman at ND

Why is ND looking to only take one more LB?

Why is ND looking to only take one more LB?

What Pennine said, coupled with the fact that this year is a numbers game. Right now ND can take about 18 recruits, not counting the 3-4 scholarships that will almost certainly come available through transfers, discipline issues, medical am etc, etc.

ND needs at the minimum....

1 QB
1 RB (would like 2)
3 WR
1 TE
3 OL (would like 4)
1 WDE (would like 2)
1 SDE
1 DT (would like 2)
1 NG
1 Rover (would like 2)
1 Mike
1 Buck
2 CB (would like 2)
1 FS
1 SS

As it stands, that's 20. An ideal number would be 26 to fill not only their needs, but their wants as well. Unfortunately, 26 is not going to be an option, and with the number of linebackers already on ND's roster, taking 4 is likely not an option this cycle, unless they feel that Stepp is the only running back they want, or they pass on a TE or 3rd OL. In this cycle ND cannot afford to miss out on any of their needs among defensive prospects.

At the end of the day, the number I'm predicting that ND takes is 21-22. I think they'll fill their needs with 20 recruits and have that last 1-2 spots available in a best player available scenario down the stretch towards signing day. That's assuming nothing program changing happens, such as Brian Kelly leaving the program or getting dismissed, which would obviously throw a huge wrench in things.

I think if both Hollifield and Wilson commit, ND would not turn them down. That said, I agree with IIO in the ND should go for 4 (I believe schollies may be limited in numbers as well in 2018). Plus, saw something about 4 star Alan Tisdale...not sure how he fits on the big board. But it appears that Elko is being aggressive.

Last edited:
Elko is stepping into a good situation, he's young and ambitious and his background for his job is perfect. We should expect good things.

Reactions: Kelso86
Kelly's main team function is to stand up at post game pressers and do double talk, trash players, sneer at reporters, and then ultimstely fire the past season's staff for failing! And to work on 'reinventing' himself once again!

The OC: on his own
The DC: on his own
ST's : little expectations any longer
Recruiting: everyone else (Kelly is a neg factor the actual recruiters need to overcome)

All this and -$4,000,000!

Or maybe -- since you have dislike for Kelly, you simply don't have to watch the games in the fall!

wow kelso maybe we have another bad season or great season and kelly is canned or bolts. in either case we get a new coach. btw i hope the team does well you have anti kelly derangement syndrome

Or we can stay and demand excellence and that "Play like Champion" returns to ND!
The shortest route to that goal is to rid ND of BK.

Kelly himself has displayed utter distain for ND!

(yes, Elko is at this time, so far, doing a great job on the recruiting trail but ultimately, he has to explain away BK's presence)

wow kelso maybe we have another bad season or great season and kelly is canned or bolts. in either case we get a new coach. btw i hope the team does well you have anti kelly derangement syndrome

I am not the one posting "maybe he bolts" -- you have done that on numerous occasions

bv
I am not the one posting "maybe he bolts" -- you have done that on numerous occasions

to be exact i used that term twice. Did I support kelly in 2017 yes. It all changed for me after the NCST game. Then I realized this guy is not a good coach or he is lazy. Although I was starting to think that way before. We have no choice but to hope he redeems himself. Overall, even if we get in the playoffs and somehow win it all I hope he moves on

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT