ADVERTISEMENT

Efficiency Breakdown: Notre Dame 71, Louisville 59

Jordan Wells

I've posted how many times?
Feb 11, 2015
Pace: 63. A bit slower than national average. People kept calling this game fast-paced, I dunno, maybe for the first half? But the numbers say a couple possessions under national average.

Efficiency:

Notre Dame--113

Louisville--94

It's usually hard to get any win on the road, winning by double-digits is even tougher. Kudos to ND for a quality all-around performance tonight. Another fantastic game from Bonzie Colson, which somehow overshadowed Demetrius Jackson's 21 points, five rebounds, four steals and three assists.

Offense--Entering this game, UL was ranked 6th nationally in defensive efficiency. They've only allowed higher than a 110 rating twice this year, giving up a 111 to both NC State and Syracuse. Notre Dame put up a 113--IN the YUM! Center. What an effort.

Just how hard is it to score 1.13 points per possession against UL at home? The last team to do that was the 2010-11' Kentucky team.

Colson went off for 17 points on 7-for-7 shooting, in addition to nine rebounds. Already mentioned Jackson's big night. Vasturia with a cool 10 points and zero turnovers helping with the press.

Defense--Notre Dame got burned yet again by a quality big man, but seemed to do well on almost everyone else. Harrell earned 23 points on 8-for-12 shooting, picked 12 rebounds (five offensive). But UL's guards for the most part struggled--Rozier 4-for-15, Snider 2-for-6, Blackshear 4-for-10.

Identity Stats:

1) Effective Field Goal Percentage[/I]: 59.3 percent. This is actually about an average night for ND, but their eFG% on the season is No. 2 in the country, so always have to remember context. Adding this vs. UL, on the road, and this is great. ND obliterated them from 2's, shooting 18-for-27 (67 percent), but were actually dragged down a little by 3's (5-for-16, 31 percent.)

2) Turnover Rate[/I]: 11 TO's in 63 possessions, an 18 percent turnover rate--About one every five to six possessions. ND's season average is 14 percent (about one every seven possessions,) so this is a bit of a subpar night. But UL ranks 27th in the country forcing a 22 percent rate on average, so, you'll take this.

3) Free throw differential[/I]: Fantastic job here. 25 FTA's to 43 FGA's is a 58 percent free throw rate, and ND hit 20 of those to shoot 80 percent at the line. Wonder if this could become a trend, because ND got to the line a ton against Syracuse too. This is their second-best effort of the season getting to the line, the last SU game the only one better.

UL got 18 FTA's to 52 FGA's, a 35 percent free throw rate. Massive differential here.

Summary: 71 points won't blow the minds of the casual ND fan--but considering the number of possessions we learned about here, and the team they faced, that's an amazing offensive effort. Combine that with holding UL under a point per possession, and this is the kind of night you can have when the offense is clicking, AND you get a pretty good defensive effort.

Play like you did tonight, and ND is gonna be a reallllllly tough out in March.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News