ADVERTISEMENT

Drew Pyne 4 turnovers vs Fresno St

edub72

All Star
Jan 17, 2018
Drew Pyne had 2 lost fumbles and 2 int vs Fresno St tonight. Unfortunately he was horrendous and looked completely lost. Hope he can recover and play better in the future if given the opportunity

Drew Pyne had 2 lost fumbles and 2 int vs Fresno St tonight. Unfortunately he was horrendous and looked completely lost. Hope he can recover and play better in the future if given the opportunity

That’s a tough night. Wish him well though

Reactions: HarlemIrish
What does it say about the job Coach Rees did making this guy look adequate for 8 games last season?

Reactions: notredame79
What does it say about the job Coach Rees did making this guy look adequate for 8 games last season?

That ND had a decent running game and didn’t need to rely on Pyne to carry the team offensively. See Clemson game

Coach Rees should be thanking Harry Heistand for his Alabama “promotion.” With more talent, he’s now doing even less. I’m not rooting against the guy, but the early results aren’t promising

Last edited:
It says something about what the quarterback room culture was at ND...as does Buchner's situation at Bama. This dimension of ND football has changed, and had to change. I think there is an absolute commitment to recruit and develop quarterbacks at a level not seen at ND in years.

PJ at Pitt had 3 ints, TB benched at Bama, Pyne bad game....not saying anything about these young men and I hope that they do well. BUT it looks like prior talent evaluation at ND for the QB was not to good.

Atrocious is the word I use for QB talent evaluation at ND. Our best QBs barely could throw the ball 50yards. They definitely couldn’t throw one on target! Atrocious

Who was responsible for QB recruiting/development? Oh… Tommy Rees was!

Last edited:
It must have been from all of the QB development Pyne got at ND. If it was not for an all American TE half of his passing yards get erased

As frusturating as it was losing to Marshall and Stanford. Freeman really did do a great job last year given it was his first year and having really limited options at QB. He got the boys up to beat clemson with drew Pyne

Don't forget. . He completed just 5-of-13 passes while throwing two picks, and also losing two fumbles.

Don't forget. . He completed just 5-of-13 passes while throwing two picks, and also losing two fumbles.
Drew Pyne was 164-254, 64.6%, 2021 yards, 22-6 TD's to Interceptions in 2022 for Notre Dame. That's all I really care to judge him on.

And for 2022, thank you Drew. I have zero problems with the guy. Dude played his ass off for Notre Dame.

Drew Pyne was 164-254, 64.6%, 2021 yards, 22-6 TD's to Interceptions in 2022 for Notre Dame. That's all I really care to judge him on.

And for 2022, thank you Drew. I have zero problems with the guy. Dude played his ass off for Notre Dame.
No one gives a **** what you care about TBH. The bottom line. Kid played hard last year. Obviously Freeman is a better coach than everyone thought due to the fact he got that guy to be competitive. These facts illustrate ND was a decent QB away from a 11-1 season. And Rees is better than people give him credit for.

Another fact- a competitive QB beats Marshall and Stanford for sure. Ian Book, Jack Coan for example. Hartman is a huge upgrade from them and they were a huge upgrade from Buchner or Pyne. TBH. Angeli this year is probably better than those two last year.

Reactions: rivals50
No one gives a **** what you care about TBH. The bottom line. Kid played hard last year. Obviously Freeman is a better coach than everyone thought due to the fact he got that guy to be competitive. These facts illustrate ND was a decent QB away from a 11-1 season. And Rees is better than people give him credit for.
I was wrong about Rees

I thought he was average/okay as an OC

He's worse than I thought.

I was wrong about Rees

Well someone had to get those two dumpster fire QBs to perform well enough to win 9 games. He seems to be in another bad QB situation. Partially him but not all him.

Well someone had to get those two dumpster fire QBs to perform well enough to win 9 games. He seems to be in another bad QB situation. Partially him but not all him.
He recruited every QB that was on our roster. And he added 1 to his Alabama roster. Thats on him

2022 Units ranked imo

1. Special Teams
2. Defense
3. Offense

So was it him?

You saw Pyne play right? Last week... Drew Pyne was 164-254, 64.6%, 2021 yards, 22-6 TD's to Interceptions in 2022 for Notre Dame. That has to be coached by someone.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
I was wrong about Rees

What you think doesn't matter. You aren't writing the checks for the 6-million in salary for the next 3 seasons.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelso86
Very little of him, based on the situation. Yes, he brought in Buchner, but don't forget, 'Bama was also on Hartman and others in the portal and Saban couldn't bring them to Tuscaloosa...and Rees is using Bill O'Brien's offense and he had to learn it and teach it to the QB's...so he's working Saban's offense and we know he needed Lane to come in and design something for him before the last round of successes. Rees took on a no-win situation (no QB's, no WR's....)

You saw Pyne play right? Last week... Drew Pyne was 164-254, 64.6%, 2021 yards, 22-6 TD's to Interceptions in 2022 for Notre Dame. That has to be coached by someone.
A lot of good players at ND surrounding him. The prof is in the pudding with Rees.

He's been average to play as an OC/QB coach and it's getting ugly in Bama

Seat is getting warm

PJ at Pitt had 3 ints, TB benched at Bama, Pyne bad game....not saying anything about these young men and I hope that they do well. BUT it looks like prior talent evaluation at ND for the QB was not to good.
Or the good ones didn't want to play for Kelly so we got the scraps.

He is not and never was a qb that we should have ever recruited. Good kid. Hopefully he get better and we seem to fin as lely be on the right track getting quality qb recruits. Kelly was the most over rated lazy coach since willingham when it came to recruiting.

Reactions: futuredomer
He is not and never was a qb that we should have ever recruited. Good kid. Hopefully he get better and we seem to fin as lely be on the right track getting quality qb recruits. Kelly was the most over rated lazy coach since willingham when it came to recruiting.
If Brian Kelly was an "...overrated lazy coach..." and Ty Willingham like as a recruiter...as you stated, finishing 44-6 and two CFB playoff appearances in the last 5 seasons is one hell of an on field coaching achievement by Kelly's "lazy" coaching staff.

Last edited:
Reactions: DieHard_Irish
If Brian Kelly was an "...overrated lazy coach..." and Ty Willingham like as a recruiter...as you stated, finishing 44-6 and two CFB playoff appearances in the last 5 seasons is one hell of an on field coaching achievement by Kelly's "lazy" coaching staff.
His record does not excuse what is widely known and becoming more glaring with freeman’s recruiting success - Kelly could not recruit as good as freeman especially the qb position

Terrible qb recruiting was the reason his teams never broke thru to top levels Some great teams and all of them missing a great qb

His record does not excuse what is widely known and becoming more glaring with freeman’s recruiting success - Kelly could not recruit as good as freeman especially the qb position

Terrible qb recruiting was the reason his teams never broke thru to top levels Some great teams and all of them missing a great qb
Just an impression I have had about Kelly's QB recruiting and coaching. The quarterback is the "control room" on the field....the play starts with and is navigated by him. Kelly never relinquished that "control"...and micro managed the quarterbacks as a matter of habit and choice. That is why they regressed; and why the level of talent hit a ceiling with recruiting. It will be interesting to see where LSU's quarterbacks go throughout the season.

Reactions: theskibro

It didn't matter who was playing QB in 2020 against Alabama. You could have lined up the college version of Patrick Mahomes and the result is no different.

It didn't matter who was playing QB in 2020 against Alabama. You could have lined up the college version of Patrick Mahomes and the result is no different.
We would have been competitive

And in 2018 if you switch QBs, we have a chance to win

Reactions: theskibro
Just an impression I have had about Kelly's QB recruiting and coaching. The quarterback is the "control room" on the field....the play starts with and is navigated by him. Kelly never relinquished that "control"...and micro managed the quarterbacks as a matter of habit and choice. That is why they regressed; and why the level of talent hit a ceiling with recruiting. It will be interesting to see where LSU's quarterbacks go throughout the season.
This.

Kelly put his quarterbacks under so much pressure not to make a mistake that they often folded.

As to Pyne, I wish he had stuck around and finished his career at ND as a backup. It's nice -- and increasingly rare -- to have a guy who can come in and provide at least a measure of competence in case your starter goes down with an injury. I certainly don't get that feeling with Angeli yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT