ADVERTISEMENT

Down to #18 Ap poll

Who cares. Obviously our program has serious problems; we simply aren't that good. Ranking mean nothing at this point

Who cares. Obviously our program has serious problems; we simply aren't that good. Ranking mean nothing at this point

ND is not a great team. I doubt ND runs the rest of the table, but you never know. Even then, I doubt a playoff is possible, as so much will depend on other factors.

But I agree ranking is something Freeman should aspire to. For us fans, like many are saying, we know where ND is...and it's not the elite level we'd love to see.

Personally I came into this season knowing we won’t win a natty this year.
My expectations for a successful season was making the playoffs and getting a win in the first round. Anything more than that is a bonus. Jmo.

Reactions: PraiseTheeNotreDame
It remains to be seen how a loss like this will affect recruiting. I know its just one game...but when your team is barely recognizable in a game....it raises questions. Its a seismic event in college football circles. Its eerily similiar to Michigan's loss to Appalachian State. Michigan was ranked #5 at the time; dropped out of the Top 25 after the loss and finished the season 8-4. They went on to beat Florida in the Capital One Bowl....but Natty was long gone after that loss.

It remains to be seen how a loss like this will affect recruiting. I know its just one game...but when your team is barely recognizable in a game....it raises questions. Its a seismic event in college football circles. Its eerily similiar to Michigan's loss to Appalachian State. Michigan was ranked #5 at the time; dropped out of the Top 25 after the loss and finished the season 8-4. They went on to beat Florida in the Capital One Bowl....but Natty was long gone after that loss.
To hell with all this pandering to recruits, I'm tired of it. It seems to me any recruit/competitive athelete worth his/her salt would want to go to a program that is on the rise but not quite there yet, they'd be the kids who'd make the difference. The other prima donna types, I could live without. Chasing down 17 year olds is getting ridiculous. With quality coaching there is no reason you can't be a championship team with 4* rated players. If your program is getting those kids and not challenging for a championship, then that's on the coaching

To hell with all this pandering to recruits, I'm tired of it. It seems to me any recruit/competitive athelete worth his/her salt would want to go to a program that is on the rise but not quite there yet, they'd be the kids who'd make the difference. The other prima donna types, I could live without. Chasing down 17 year olds is getting ridiculous. With quality coaching there is no reason you can't be a championship team with 4* rated players. If your program is getting those kids and not challenging for a championship, then that's on the coaching
NIU just kicked arse with a bunch of 2 star recruits!

It helps perception and the overall state of the program. I’m happy ND is still ranked and relatively highly considering the loss.
I think the better thing for ND is that now NIU is ranked. That's the feather in our cap. I don't have any idea how good they are or we are. But apparently these hacks, these sports scribes think enough of ND that when somebody beats us that they deserve to be ranked.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
It's not similar to the loss to App St. Only the FG part at the end, was kind of superficially similar. But Michigan had an easy FG to win, while we had a 62-yard desperation attempt that was going to miss anyway, and it was blocked because of how low trajectory he had to kick it. No one was expecting ND to make it.

In addition to the fact that NIU is a decent MAC program and are not that much worse than ND. MAC teams beat P5 programs all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT