ADVERTISEMENT

Don't Blame The Players

Toby Smart

All Star
Aug 28, 2002
IMO, it's not their doing that is the problem and I came to that realization last night listening to BK's post game pity party. Plug in any player you want on the defensive side of the ball and you will see the same results. BK takes the blame with collateral blame going to his assistants. .......the guys HE hired. He stated last night that he and the staff has to step up the level of their coaching and develop these kids. Why now? What the hell have they been doing last Spring and Fall camp? He actually was upset at a reporter for asking a question that he didn't like. No, no no no. Don't get angry with the media. You and the staff YOU hired are responsible for Texas and MSU and only you and your staff can fix it. Any average Irish fan has zero faith that the defense can make a key stop or play in crunch time. There will be a slip, missed tackle, blown coverage or some other thing going on that will turn success into a missed opportunity. They need to do their job and make the kids THEY recruited great. I'm not calling for anyone to get fired but I am calling for better results out of everyone on that staff. And, while BK is at it, he needs to ask Harry why his OL is under performing. Both DL and OL were shoved and abused by MSU all night long.

After watching the Kelly's post game conference, it appears he agrees with you 100%. He was no nonsense, it's on me. He mentioned on many occasions that it starts with him and he along with his staff haven't done a good job and must do better. It almost sounds as if the asst. coaches may have been pointing the finger at the players. Kelly was quick to say, don't blame the players, these are our guys, we recruited them, it's all on us. Why say that if that type of conversation hadn't taken place between Kelly and at least one or some of the asst. coaches? We are about to find out how much character our coaches and players have. How you react to losing and tough times reveals your character.

I guess I'm just stubborn. Luke has to make that pick in ththe end zone.

The player has to be aware and not get hit by a punt. That's a huge mo swing after the defense holds.

Another game in reach but lost. A ton of frosh played.

I'd like to see Drue to the oustside backer in a 4-3 and both frosh safeties.

No quit in them like FSU. I can't quit on this team. I'm going 10-2. :)

I guess my point is BK said they have to do a better job coaching the players they recruited and I am wondering out loud what they have been doing all this time? Is he implying they haven't been coaching hard and to the best of their abilities and only now they will start? And, and......if the players are not making these mistakes in practice it is up to the staff to find out why the positives are not translating to the game. It is the duty and responsibility of BK and his staff. The problem is this just didn't start with Texas or MSU. How can you put a defense on the field that doesn't know how to tackle, cover, or contain? Blown assignments aare a regular occurrence it would appear. Like BK said, these are the players we got and it is their responsibility to make them better. So, do it already. Taking an arrow for the team like BK has done sounds noble but it should not be note worthy or satisfying and doesn't make things all better. Production and results, just like the real world in any working environment.

I guess I'm just stubborn. Luke has to make that pick in ththe end zone.

The player has to be aware and not get hit by a punt. That's a huge mo swing after the defense holds.

Another game in reach but lost. A ton of frosh played.

I'd like to see Drue to the oustside backer in a 4-3 and both frosh safeties.

No quit in them like FSU. I can't quit on this team. I'm going 10-2. :)
I admire your loyalty. But I think at this time it's counter productive and self defeating. Your blind loyalty and acceptance of 20 yrs of disappointment on the field helps self perpetuate this mediocrity. It's what they count on and exploit as long as the dinero keeps flowing. They didn't lose the game bc they got a bad bounce off a special teams players foot. They can't TACKLE or COVER. They can't run off their left side and pick up a couple yards when they need to. They get pushed around on both lines of scrimmage. The D players don't know what the hell they're supposed to do. They're perpetually confused. Plays don't get sent in on time so players can line up. HC consistently blows close games at end of games with his in game decisions ( well documented ).his teams play soft uninspired football and come out consistently flat in nearly every big game. Resulting in playing from behind and scrambling to get back in the game. That should be enough in yr 7 to change leadership of the program.

I'm guessing he is saying "all you coaches are on notice for pink slips" or he is trying to keep his players up and take the blame instead of having them feel like they don't have talent.

I'd guess he is just being a stand up guy. I'd guess the coordinators have some long days ahead.

I am guessing by the tone of BKs voice last night in his post game is that he is serious. 10-2. As a fan and supporter, I will not abandon our kids. They deserve better and I will support them till the end 100%.

Maybe, or I could be actually grounded in reality. That a team that just last year decemated by injuries was one face mask call from the playoffs.

Your probably right. Kelly and everyone just woke up stupid this year not knowing what to do. I guess Iowa did too and so did FSU.

It's not really loyalty. Its more based on reality. I guess Clemson surviving Troy or Iowa losing to FSC is because those coaches are aweful.

Be different if we had a senior laden team or when we did have talent we were getting blown out. None of us are happy but Houston has beat one really bad OK team and we want to declare that's the second coming.

Each of us want to win NC's. the last time ND had a coach that won more than one was almost 60 years ago.

Last edited:
Reggie Brooks and Lee Becton both are not leaning on the youth and injury crutch. On the ND football post game show, Jack Nolan tried desperately to compare ND's youth with that of Bama and Reggie would have none of it. The problem is now, and it seems like for a while now, is tackling, blown assignments, confusion and, containment. A texter asked Reggie why the defense doesn't strip the ball and he responded by saying they need to learn how to tackle first. Some of these players missing plays and assignments are not rookies. What Clemson, FSU, or Houston does has nothing to do with ND and the problems our Irish are facing. Their deal is their deal and we have our own.The topic is ND and the lack of development by the staff. The reality is another 2-3 losses unless this staff gets it's act together. No firings. Just figure out why the lads are not responding to the simplest of instruction.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT