ADVERTISEMENT

Don't agree with the Vann move

Dropkickirish

Shakes Down The Thunder
Dec 5, 2016
I'm gonna trust Elko aND his decision for scheme, but DE is a position of need at ND all the time.. the more bodies the better and the kid is highly touted. Doesn't make much sense when the teams biggest defensive issue is creating pressure on the QB. I'm assuming he has some guys he believes will be Irish in mind to cut things off with Vann so early in the process. I also respect the decision to do it early however and not turning him down come November like some other schools would do. Randy Edsall went back to Uconn and immediately pull a scholarship away from a kid who was committed for months right before signing day. That's just wrong

Didn't OSU and Mich pass on him too?

I think Elko doesn't like his size. I'm willing to let Elko recruit who he wants for his defense. He runs a style of defense and he should fit the players where he wants them.

Since the coaches are not permitted to speak publicly about recruits, it really is hard to determine what is going on --

I heard also that OSU and Michigan have initially passed on him too.

Could this come back to bite ND -- sure -- happened before. A "smallish" LB out of Cincinnati OH went to BC because some coach deemed him too small -- all he did was become a pain in the ass to ND (and all he wanted was a chance to come to ND) -- Luke Keuchly

Since the coaches are not permitted to speak publicly about recruits, it really is hard to determine what is going on --

+1 to this idea. Could be grades, test scores, position need, Vann's position on the evaluation board (maybe we will get several guys Elko likes better), etc.

For every Luke Kuechly there's 100+ guys who we'll never know about.

Reactions: Kelso86
I'm gonna trust Elko aND his decision for scheme, but DE is a position of need at ND all the time.. the more bodies the better and the kid is highly touted. Doesn't make much sense when the teams biggest defensive issue is creating pressure on the QB. I'm assuming he has some guys he believes will be Irish in mind to cut things off with Vann so early in the process. I also respect the decision to do it early however and not turning him down come November like some other schools would do. Randy Edsall went back to Uconn and immediately pull a scholarship away from a kid who was committed for months right before signing day. That's just wrong
If they don't fill their quota of DLs there is reason to bitch. This staff is a determined bunch. I get the feeling that Elko knows what he wants and plans on getting those players. Let's let it play out.

It is a tough call.

He really is 6'1.5" 255. He doesn't have rush end speed, SDE height and length, nor 3T size. If he added 3T size (30 lbs) I doubt that he would have the short area quickness needed. I read that he has 5.3 speed. That isn't even good SDE speed.

If we did not have 18 DLmen, I bet he would be a take. He might have value as a situational pass rusher at SDE or 3T because he has a knack of getting into the backfield. The other commits really like him. He would be another project like Ade, Wardlow, Mokwuah, Tiassum and Bonner. None are really stepping forward. Can we afford another?

There are people that know the real reason why we backed off. None of those people are on this message board. The reasoning could be stupid or it could be serious. We don't know. So there's no reason to doubt coaches or anybody else involved.

There could be serious character concerns with the kid, there could be potential allegations or pending criminal charges. Who the hell knows?? Trust the coaches.
Move on.

If they don't fill their quota of DLs there is reason to bitch. This staff is a determined bunch. I get the feeling that Elko knows what he wants and plans on getting those players. Let's let it play out.

"This staff is a determined bunch. I get the feeling that Elko knows what he wants and plans on getting those players. Let's let it play out"

Letting the recruiting season play out without bitching -- sounds like too much common sense for this board! :)

ND is sitting at good numbers on the DL. That said, there's not a lot of production. I am hoping the hire of Elko is the difference ND needs. He is taking over (likely) the most talented bunch of players he has ever coached.

Reactions: Bodizephax
ND is sitting at good numbers on the DL. That said, there's not a lot of production. I am hoping the hire of Elko is the difference ND needs. He is taking over (likely) the most talented bunch of players he has ever coached.
Hard to know exactly what talent is on the line after that BVG "head up the arse" defensive debacle!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT