ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone know why Denbrock chose

Dec 29, 2005
to leave LSU for ND? I’m just curious as he was a finalist for the Broyles award (top assistant), had a great season as the LSU OC, and directed a Heisman Trophy winner.

I read that he had just turned down the OC position at Texas A&M, apparently Elko wanted him @ College Station but he declined because LSU just gave him an “enhanced contract”, whatever that means. Then to turn around and accept NDs offer for the same position seems odd to me.

What is his main motivation? Love of ND? More money? Conflict with Kelly?

Money seems unlikely as the SEC powers are known to throw money at assistant coaches. Conflict or friction between him and Kelly seems unlikely because he has worked with home for several years and just accepted an “enhance contract” with LSU. So, I’m assuming it was probably both money and the lure of ND?

Thoughts on this?

I think he liked the whole environment at South Bend and he wasn't crazy about living in the South.

As long as ND was going to come across with security and a hefty contract why not ?

Reactions: BGI User 756
I read that LSU “offered” a 3 year extension, but he never signed the deal. It didn’t state the terms of the deal.

I think this was an easy decision for him. Denbrock is a Midwest guy. South Bend is 80 miles from his hometown. He loved his time at ND and gets what makes ND special. LSU is a very different place…great fans…great football tradition…but culturally a very different place to live and work. He turned down an OC position at A&M, agreed to the construct of a 3 yr extension and $300K raise at LSU that required Board review and approval before he could sign it, but then jumped at the ND opportunity when Freeman came calling. I think the Allure of returning to the Midwest and his roots was very strong, and I think the allure of coming home to ND and being part of what Freeman is developing was simply overwhelming compared to staying with Kelly in a place where he was not part of the cultural fabric.

to leave LSU for ND? I’m just curious as he was a finalist for the Broyles award (top assistant), had a great season as the LSU OC, and directed a Heisman Trophy winner.

I read that he had just turned down the OC position at Texas A&M, apparently Elko wanted him @ College Station but he declined because LSU just gave him an “enhanced contract”, whatever that means. Then to turn around and accept NDs offer for the same position seems odd to me.

Money seems unlikely as the SEC powers are known to throw money at assistant coaches. Conflict or friction between him and Kelly seems unlikely because he has worked with home for several years and just accepted an “enhance contract” with LSU. So, I’m assuming it was probably both money and the lure of ND?

Thoughts on this?
I am sure we will hear from him soon and the only part he will not say publically is that he couldn’t stand living in that cesspool any longer - kidding. Or that while he is always friends with BK, he can’t stand the guy’s ego, his throwing blame on anyone but himself, and his constant attempts to dance n speak Cajun - also kidding

I read a recent Bryan Driskell article that *speculates* ND is making Mike Denbrock the highest paid coordinator in the sport with a 4/$9M deal.

When it makes dollars, it makes sense.

I think this was an easy decision for him. Denbrock is a Midwest guy. South Bend is 80 miles from his hometown. He loved his time at ND and gets what makes ND special. LSU is a very different place…great fans…great football tradition…but culturally a very different place to live and work. He turned down an OC position at A&M, agreed to the construct of a 3 yr extension and $300K raise at LSU that required Board review and approval before he could sign it, but then jumped at the ND opportunity when Freeman came calling. I think the Allure of returning to the Midwest and his roots was very strong, and I think the allure of coming home to ND and being part of what Freeman is developing was simply overwhelming compared to staying with Kelly in a place where he was not part of the cultural fabric.
All true TelX but don’t sugar coat it 😜 you know Denbrock is over the moon with this move and he knows only one fan base has a “flyover squadron” for game day support

Last edited:
All true TelX but don’t sugar coat it 😜 you know Denvrock is over the moon with this move and he knows only one fan base has a “flyover squadron” for game day support
Exposed! Thought it best to ignore the impact of the flyover squadron on his decision; but yes, probably the deciding factor. Miss our wingman Bodi. Last he communicated to me directly, he was upset with how some posters were treating him. He could dish but was more fragile on the receiving end than one would suspect.

Exposed! Thought it best to ignore the impact of the flyover squadron on his decision; but yes, probably the deciding factor. Miss our wingman Bodi. Last he communicated to me directly, he was upset with how some posters were treating him. He could dish but was more fragile on the receiving end than one would suspect.
Interesting. I still find it difficult to understand how or why someone falls off the radar like that. I mean, other than a health issue

Well if you have a way to reach him such as email please try again I certainly would if I knew how. I’ve learned some tough lessons the past few years about the importance of reaching out to friends when they are going thru tough times

Does Coach Denbrock have enough to become a head coach in the near future if he wanted it.

Thoughts on this?
Because maybe, just maybe ND coaching positions are elite positions on par if not better than LSU, Alabama, OSU, UGA, etc.

His family is What is his main motivation? Love of ND? More money? Conflict with Kelly?

Thoughts on this?
His family is two hours away.

Money is better.

He's a Midwest guy.

He likes ND, Freeman, Gino, and new wr coach

He will get autonomy under freeman he wouldn't have under Kelly.

I read a recent Bryan Driskell article that *speculates* ND is making Mike Denbrock the highest paid coordinator in the sport with a 4/$9M deal.

When it makes dollars, it makes sense.
Can’t be. This Chass guy said ND doesn’t ante up the $$$. Must be fake news

Reactions: NDinNJ

Thoughts on this?
Yes As it turns out

Interesting. I still find it difficult to understand how or why someone falls off the radar like that. I mean, other than a health issue

Well if you have a way to reach him such as email please try again I certainly would if I knew how. I’ve learned some tough lessons the past few years about the importance of reaching out to friends when they are going thru tough times
My only way of communicating directly with Bodi was via private messaging here on this site. I posted another message, but he needs to come to this site to see it. His last message was about a nephew playing for Kansas St going up against Alabama in last year’s bowl game. The day before he wrote that he was finally getting some time off work and had lots to discuss about ND football. Given these were his last posts a year ago, I do worry about his or his wife’s well being.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT