ADVERTISEMENT

Do you consider ND's schedule tough?

Original_Irish

Posts Like A Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Because I don't at all. I see Stanford, USC, and Michigan state all having at least 3 losses. Stanford and USC have just brutal schedules and all three schools are having new quarterbacks.

Now I think that this schedule has a depth of quality opponents but none that are teams that should have more talent than ND. Maybe USC but they could be pretty beaten up by the time that game comes around.

Really weak ACC schedule this year. It's always going to be that way when we aren't playing Clemson or FSU. But Miami could give some problems. Kaya is going to be the best qb we see this year. Really bummed that we aren't playing Michigan this year.

Obviously the season hasn't started and I know schedules are unpredictable. So don't give me that answer. So as of now, do you consider this schedule tough?

Reactions: Bodizephax
You never truly know how tough/weak your schedule is until the end of the season. I think it's a solid schedule, but you're right that there likely aren't any elite teams. This concerns me, because I really don't think it should shock people if ND goes undeafeated or 11-1, but I suspect they won't be prepared should they make it to the playoffs, as they haven't played anyone of elite status.

Reactions: echowaker
No clue. Who would have thought Temple & Navy would both be undefeated & ranked when ND played them?

Reactions: Kelso86
You never truly know how tough/weak your schedule is until the end of the season. I think it's a solid schedule, but you're right that there likely aren't any elite teams. This concerns me, because I really don't think it should shock people if ND goes undeafeated or 11-1, but I suspect they won't be prepared should they make it to the playoffs, as they haven't played anyone of elite status.
Completely agree. I think it will depend on how ND plays in these games. If we squeeze through this schedule like we did in 2012, then I will be very worried about playing against elite teams in the playoff. But if we "look the part" while winning games then I will be very excited.

I do fully expect this team to be able to win 11 games this year.

Because I don't at all. I see Stanford, USC, and Michigan state all having at least 3 losses. Stanford and USC have just brutal schedules and all three schools are having new quarterbacks.

Now I think that this schedule has a depth of quality opponents but none that are teams that should have more talent than ND. Maybe USC but they could be pretty beaten up by the time that game comes around.

Really weak ACC schedule this year. It's always going to be that way when we aren't playing Clemson or FSU. But Miami could give some problems. Kaya is going to be the best qb we see this year. Really bummed that we aren't playing Michigan this year.

Obviously the season hasn't started and I know schedules are unpredictable. So don't give me that answer. So as of now, do you consider this schedule tough?

the '16 schedule is not as formidable as most years. 17/18 look more difficult

Stanford; Michigan State; SC; VT; Miami; Texas. These are all teams with a football history; many have a contentious history vs. ND. I wouldn't be shocked at a ND loss to any of these teams. Of course, if they lost to more than one of them, that would be a problem.

If you dont consider this a tough schedule who are you
comparing it to? UOJ, Miami, Stanford and Mich St are as good as anyones top 4 opponents in the nation.

Reactions: Irish Grandeur
only Mia has an experienced QB. Stanford and SC will be big talented teams, but SU has a new QB and SC is pretty much unknown. SC is just getting the roster rebuilt after the suspension and has a 1st year HC. SC will be the fastest and most talented team ND will face and therefore is dangerous. JMO they are a year away from being the USC we think of when we think USC.

comparing it to? UOJ, Miami, Stanford and Mich St are as good as anyones top 4 opponents in the nation.
Stanford: ND, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington
USC: ND, Alabama, Stanford, UCLA
Michigan State: ND, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin

So our 3 best opponents all have tougher top end opponents than ND does. And I don't think any of them are good enough to go through their schedules without at least 3 losses.

^ good point! ND has to go 11 "W" to think playoff
probably no major bowl with 3 losses; no major bowl means no possibility of a W of the significance

I have no idea what that has to do with anything? At all.
That those ranked teams weren't very good and that beating them doesn't prove anything.

That's what I'm saying. ND could have a very good record this year and you would still not know if they were any good.

That those ranked teams weren't very good and that beating them doesn't prove anything.

That's what I'm saying. ND could have a very good record this year and you would still not know if they were any good.

I think they were top 25 teams. They were a lot better than Texas or GT, who everybody was more worried about than them. That is my point, we don't know yet which teams will be good.
And playing the #1 team on the road to a 2 point game didn't prepare them for OSU either. So there is nobody who could have.

No clue. Who would have thought Temple & Navy would both be undefeated & ranked when ND played them?

Yeah, who could imagine that Navy could beat Colgate, East Carolina, Ct and Air Force?
Also, Navy was not ranked in the AP/Coaches, but keep up the good work.

PS After Temple got by psu (7-6) and cinci (7-6) in weeks 1 and 2 they then faced a murderers row of Umass, NC charlotte, Tulane, Central Florida, and East Carolina before almost handing porky his lunch....

They were real impressive at # 22....

I think they were top 25 teams. They were a lot better than Texas or GT, who everybody was more worried about than them. That is my point, we don't know yet which teams will be good.
And playing the #1 team on the road to a 2 point game didn't prepare them for OSU either. So there is nobody who could have.
Well I can't really argue with you if you actually thought those two teams were good. In my opinion they weren't.

And Clemson and Stanford were great barometers. They showed us that ND was close, but had room to grow still.

Reactions: Houston Wildcat
Yeah, who could imagine that Navy could beat Colgate, East Carolina, Ct and Air Force?
Also, Navy was not ranked in the AP/Coaches, but keep up the good work.

PS After Temple got by psu (7-6) and cinci (7-6) in weeks 1 and 2 they then faced a murderers row of Umass, NC charlotte, Tulane, Central Florida, and East Carolina before almost handing porky his lunch....

They were real impressive at # 22....

Lol
I love the fact that Brian Kelly owns you & every single thought in your mind.

And you will pass someday without anything or anybody except the hatred of Notre Dame Head Coach Brian Kelly.

But NOTRE DAME HEAD COACH BRIAN KELLY will be the wealthy, famous, happy, father, husband...... & coach of Notre Dame.

Keep up the good work...errrr, stalking Brian Kelly.

Haha

Reactions: Pennick44
Well I can't really argue with you if you actually thought those two teams were good. In my opinion they weren't.

And Clemson and Stanford were great barometers. They showed us that ND was close, but had room to grow still.

My point was we don't know who is good. Both those teams were better than GT & Texas.
So this year MSU could end up beating UM, OSU, us & being #1. We don't know?

Reactions: vmpaul34
My point was we don't know who is good. Both those teams were better than GT & Texas.
Tell me again how Navy was ranked....and how wonderful temple was....
Mr Potato Head owns a foul mouth, low IQ, and an average to below average HC acumen...
PS hatred of Notre Dame....just more stupidity from you.

Reactions: end_23
Seriously, did you read my first post?

I know schedules are unpredictable. But as of right now, it's soft.

OP,

Have you seen the scUM schedule? They play the most embarrassingly easy non-conference schedule and the Big10-14 is weak as usual.

Texas, Stanford, MSU, USC, NC State, and even Duke will all be damn tough. But if Kelly got out of his own way for once and ND went 11-1 or 12-0 we'll here calls for ND being left out of the F4 because of no 13th game b.s..

I think schedule will be weaker than most years. Stanford will have to rebuild their offensive line and start a new QB. Michigan State starts a new quarterback. I think Michigan State's run and luck will come to an end this year and I am not sold on Stanford this year. USC is up and down and starting a new quarterback. Miami scares me more than previous years. Texas will be good late in the year, but I don't see them doing much the first game of the season with Swoopes or a true Freshman starting at quarterback and possible Freshman starting on their O'line.

Stanford: ND, USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington
USC: ND, Alabama, Stanford, UCLA
Michigan State: ND, Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin

So our 3 best opponents all have tougher top end opponents than ND does. And I don't think any of them are good enough to go through their schedules without at least 3 losses.
I'm not sure what the lost to Oh St has to do with how good the ND schedule was? It was a month off, ND has numerous starters out (Tillery, Max, Russell, Jaylon, Zaire, Folson, Tranquil, J Jones) to name a few. Just because the most talented team in the nation beat ND by 16 has little to do with our strength of schedule.

I don't buy they prepare a team, ND lost by two on the road to a team that played in the NC and was toe to toe with Bama. ND barely beats UVA and BC but goes on the road against two top 10 teams and arguably should have won both. The answer is yes, the schedule is tough enough to get in the playoff with 1 or 0 losses; 2 wont cut it.

And yes BK is living rent free in CGVR's dome piece. Cant imagine being so negatively infatuated with another man consistently on a daily basis, name calling, pics, the whole deal.

Reactions: echowaker

Sorry man, but that's absolute bullsh&t...... Just stop.
No, they are simply not.
While ND has some challenging games on their schedule, absolutely anything less than 10-2 regular season is a clusterfuvk and massive underachievement..... Injuries and suspensions be damned.
For the first time in a long while, the Irish have more talent than any of their opponents with the exception of USC ( very talented, but still lacking elite depth due to scholarship restrictions) and possibly Stanford.
No more being the bridesmaid, this is a year ND should make the playoffs ( although I still don't think the Irish can beat Bama or OSU). Go Irish!!

Reactions: Bodizephax
OP,

Have you seen the scUM schedule? They play the most embarrassingly easy non-conference schedule and the Big10-14 is weak as usual.

Texas, Stanford, MSU, USC, NC State, and even Duke will all be damn tough. But if Kelly got out of his own way for once and ND went 11-1 or 12-0 we'll here calls for ND being left out of the F4 because of no 13th game b.s..

Decent points, but even we are not discussing UM, we are discussing ND.
Big 10 schedules are normally a joke (even though the Buckeyes finally sacked up
and play OU in Norman this year), so it's really not a a valid or accurate comparison.
ND's schedule (through no fault of Notre Dame), is relatively easy (in comparison to not only
ND's competition, but to the Irish's schedule in past and future years). Deal with it, and better yet,
pray ND takes advantage of it.

I think Navy , Miami , USC , Stanford , MSU all are clubs with a legit shot at 9 plus wins.

VTech , Texas and Duke IMO could all win 8.

Do with that what you want.

I think Navy , Miami , USC , Stanford , MSU all are clubs with a legit shot at 9 plus wins.

VTech , Texas and Duke IMO could all win 8.

Do with that what you want.

but if you are correct and just half achieve that upside that does not help ND much.

IMO the better team you have the weaker the schedule is. Early in the season ND will ne breaking in a lot of new starters. Every time you win a game you take one step forward. When you lose you take 2 steps backwards . ND went to FSU 2 years ago win NC aspirations that loss destroyed them and they couldn't recover ( injuries too) . The 2016 game at Texas is going to dictate if they are a final 4 team. Yes it's early but Texas will be a much improved team . An ND victory there is a must.

IMO the better team you have the weaker the schedule is. Early in the season ND will ne breaking in a lot of new starters. Every time you win a game you take one step forward. When you lose you take 2 steps backwards . ND went to FSU 2 years ago win NC aspirations that loss destroyed them and they couldn't recover ( injuries too) . The 2016 game at Texas is going to dictate if they are a final 4 team. Yes it's early but Texas will be a much improved team . An ND victory there is a must.

You mention ND breaking in a lot of new starters and 'steps forward' then you make case for UT being a much improved team? in game 1 ? UT is in a massive rebuilding program: both staff and players. I agree UT has some impressive talent but they will be a team that gets better as the season progresses.

ND has to be dominant vs UT. This is a mature program vs a rebuilding program. What would a loss speak of?

JMO, ND wins in workman like fashion, as it should. Not a blowout but very methodical.

I see an easy schedule with a lot of home and neutral site games and teams like Army and Nevada. I think Notre Dame turned a corner last year and will make a legit Championship run this year. Lots of talent and depth on the Irish squad.

You mention ND breaking in a lot of new starters and 'steps forward' then you make case for UT being a much improved team? in game 1 ? UT is in a massive rebuilding program: both staff and players. I agree UT has some impressive talent but they will be a team that gets better as the season progresses.

ND has to be dominant vs UT. This is a mature program vs a rebuilding program. What would a loss speak of?

JMO, ND wins in workman like fashion, as it should. Not a blowout but very methodical.
yes pers I agree with what you say about ND methodically beating Texas but what said about new starters is very very true . Especially game one. You get a lot better and more cohesive as a unit as the season progresses. There is no Will Fuller to throw to? With ND methodically win the ground game? will BK stick to the ground game ? A lot of questions for week one. The step forward means that with a win you get a little better each week. As for Texas being much improved . You very well know that this Texas team last year beat OU and Baylor . They can be baddd and can be very good . Who is going to show up on their turf. This can be a battle and the longer texas stays in the game the tougher it will be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT