ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Re-Alignment: How it should be done.

Catholicfan95

ND Expert
Jun 3, 2013
Moving forward things are going to change in college football. The playoff will expand, Tv Deals will increase and inevitably the conferences will Re-Align. Here is my take and my ideas on what I think should happen and what makes the most sense.

ACC

Atlantic Division

· Boston College

· Clemson

· Florida State

· Louisville

· North Carolina State

· Notre Dame *

· Syracuse

· Wake Forrest

Coastal Division

· Duke

· Georgia Tech

· Miami

· North Carolina

· Pitt

· West Virginia *

· Virginia

· Maryland*

The additions of West Virginia and Notre Dame make the most sense to me. West Virginia fits in perfectly regionally with several ties to teams from the old Big East days as well as regional rivals that date back 50 plus years. While Notre Dame may not be a regional fit they are the perfect fit for this market. The ACC is rich in several sports which Notre Dame is currently involved with and it would make sense for them to go ahead and become a full participant with the addition of football. Notre Dame would also fit in academically with several of these schools. Lets be honest, is Maryland at all a good fit in the Big 10? Of course they are not. Bring them back, it is the right thing to do.

Big 10

East Division

· Indiana

· Michigan

· Michigan State

· Ohio State

· Penn State

· Rutgers

· Cincinnati*

West Division

· Illinois

· Iowa

· Iowa State*

· Minnesota

· Purdue

· Wisconsin

· Missouri*

The additions of Iowa State, Missouri and Cincinnati to me are all great fits. Losing schools like Maryland and Nebraska these 3 schools seem to make the most sense. They are a solid regional fit as well as competitive in most major sports.

Big 12

West

· Colorado *

· Nebraska *

· Utah*

· Arizona *

· Stanford *

· USC*

· Oregon*

· UCLA*

West

· Texas

· Texas Tech

· TCU

· Baylor

· Oklahoma

· Oklahoma State

· Kansas State

· Kansas

Look I know what you are thinking, not gunna happen ever no chance. Listen, it is a solid list and I think it may happen. You bring back elements of the old Big 8 with new elements of the Pac-12, I think it would be one of the best conferences in football.

SEC

East

· Florida

· Georgia

· Kentucky

· South Carolina

· Tennessee

· Vanderbilt

· Memphis*

West

· Alabama

· Texas A&M

· Arkansas

· Auburn

· LSU

· Mississippi

· Mississippi State

There isn’t too much to add to the SEC. Memphis makes the most since to me.

Pac-12

North

· Arizona State

· Washington

· Washington State

· Boise State*

· Oregon State

· Nevada *

· Wyoming *

South

· California

· Hawaii *

· UNLV *

· San Diego State*

· Fresno State*

· San Jose State*

One of the power 5’s had to get torn apart and my choice was to do it to the Pac -12. It would be similar to the American.

American

Whatever #1

· UCF

· USF

· UConn

· East Carolina

· Houston

· Temple

Whatever #2

· SMU

· Tulsa

· Tulane

· Navy

· Army

· Air Force

Doesn’t matter break it up how you want to.

Moving forward things are going to change in college football. The playoff will expand, Tv Deals will increase and inevitably the conferences will Re-Align. Here is my take and my ideas on what I think should happen and what makes the most sense.

ACC

Atlantic Division

· Boston College

· Clemson

· Florida State

· Louisville

· North Carolina State

· Notre Dame *

· Syracuse

· Wake Forrest

Coastal Division

· Duke

· Georgia Tech

· Miami

· North Carolina

· Pitt

· West Virginia *

· Virginia

· Maryland*

The additions of West Virginia and Notre Dame make the most sense to me. West Virginia fits in perfectly regionally with several ties to teams from the old Big East days as well as regional rivals that date back 50 plus years. While Notre Dame may not be a regional fit they are the perfect fit for this market. The ACC is rich in several sports which Notre Dame is currently involved with and it would make sense for them to go ahead and become a full participant with the addition of football. Notre Dame would also fit in academically with several of these schools. Lets be honest, is Maryland at all a good fit in the Big 10? Of course they are not. Bring them back, it is the right thing to do.

Big 10

East Division

· Indiana

· Michigan

· Michigan State

· Ohio State

· Penn State

· Rutgers

· Cincinnati*

West Division

· Illinois

· Iowa

· Iowa State*

· Minnesota

· Purdue

· Wisconsin

· Missouri*

The additions of Iowa State, Missouri and Cincinnati to me are all great fits. Losing schools like Maryland and Nebraska these 3 schools seem to make the most sense. They are a solid regional fit as well as competitive in most major sports.

Big 12

West

· Colorado *

· Nebraska *

· Utah*

· Arizona *

· Stanford *

· USC*

· Oregon*

· UCLA*

West

· Texas

· Texas Tech

· TCU

· Baylor

· Oklahoma

· Oklahoma State

· Kansas State

· Kansas

Look I know what you are thinking, not gunna happen ever no chance. Listen, it is a solid list and I think it may happen. You bring back elements of the old Big 8 with new elements of the Pac-12, I think it would be one of the best conferences in football.

SEC

East

· Florida

· Georgia

· Kentucky

· South Carolina

· Tennessee

· Vanderbilt

· Memphis*

West

· Alabama

· Texas A&M

· Arkansas

· Auburn

· LSU

· Mississippi

· Mississippi State

There isn’t too much to add to the SEC. Memphis makes the most since to me.

Pac-12

North

· Arizona State

· Washington

· Washington State

· Boise State*

· Oregon State

· Nevada *

· Wyoming *

South

· California

· Hawaii *

· UNLV *

· San Diego State*

· Fresno State*

· San Jose State*

One of the power 5’s had to get torn apart and my choice was to do it to the Pac -12. It would be similar to the American.

American

Whatever #1

· UCF

· USF

· UConn

· East Carolina

· Houston

· Temple

Whatever #2

· SMU

· Tulsa

· Tulane

· Navy

· Army

· Air Force

Doesn’t matter break it up how you want to.

"Lets be honest, is Maryland at all a good fit in the Big 10? Of course they are not. Bring them back, it is the right thing to do."

I believe Maryland left the ACC because of the deal that ND got from the conference. That said, they (and Rutgers) add ZERO value to the B1G, other than TV rights and access to the east coast markets.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
"Lets be honest, is Maryland at all a good fit in the Big 10? Of course they are not. Bring them back, it is the right thing to do."

I believe Maryland left the ACC because of the deal that ND got from the conference. That said, they (and Rutgers) add ZERO value to the B1G, other than TV rights and access to the east coast markets.
Agreed. It has not hurt them in basketball as much as I thought it would, but they would be better off in the ACC.

Reactions: Kelso86
Not sure that most Universities in the Big 10 even wanted Maryland and Rutgers in the league.

Agreed. It has not hurt them in basketball as much as I thought it would, but they would be better off in the ACC.
It gives the Big10 schools automatic exposure in Jersey and Maryland for recruiting. It's not the recruiting that helps Maryland abd Rutgers but it helps all the others going there.

If realignment happens and these ass hats keep promoting the Power 5, power 5, power 5...
UCF will be checking in with someone and deservedly so.

If realignment happens and these ass hats keep promoting the Power 5, power 5, power 5...
UCF will be checking in with someone and deservedly so.
Came close to adding them to the ACC, but chose WVU instead. Also thought about sticking them in the SEC East.

1. Maryland will never be allowed back in the ACC.
2. West Virginia is a horrid cultural and academic fit for the ACC.

It wont happen, but Penn State would be the best fit for the ACC.

FYI Maryland left the ACC not because of the deal with Notre Dame, but because they badly mis spent their funds in athletics dept for years and were pressed by boosters (under armor) to make a move. They looked at the Big10 as a more lucrative option in the near term.

Moreover...the ACC is rich with sports ND is involved with?
Huh?
Everyone plays football
Everyone plays men's basketball
Eceriome plays women's basketball

As far as ND is concerned if they were to rank order of importance in sports...
Football far and away 1
Womens Basketball 2(a)
Men's Ice Hockey a very close 2(b) which actually competes in the Big 10

Men's basketball...
the ACC has killed Men's basketball. Think of their record once all the Big East kids had graduated and it's been a 101 percent ACC roster. They've been fighting for the door mat trophy yearly.

After that who cares.

Women's lacrosse? All respect to them but they have 6 fans in the stands.

Baseball? 44 fans in the stands with much of their schedule being the MAC.

What I think will happen is this....

ND is the only school that could take an American conference and turn the whole Power 5 nonsense upside down and make that become a Power 6.

Think about a few things...
unless ND joins the Big 10 none of them are ideal geographically.
Maybe the Big12 or some of it...but definitely not all of it.
Sec? No
ACC? No

ND could essentially make the rules of said conference as they'd control everything behind the scenes. They really do have that influence.
They could reward some of the schools with football games and essentially do whatever they want with football scheduling which means everything to them.

If the American conference stayed pat with participants it would give ND exposure in the northeast, to texas. From the midwest to Florida. They could use three games in conference every year rotating plus keeping the Navy game which is already a reocurring theme.
That gives them 8 weeks to go wherever and play whomever they want.
That's as independent as kind of half assed being conference affiliated as it gets.

Other than that they'd just go back to being independent across the board.
One could argue why not.
WBB will be fine.
Hockey is in the big 10 regardless.
Football..they WANT independence
MBB will be better off than being trampled yearly in the ACC.

Maryland didn't oppose the deal when it was negotiated. Their plot to switch conferences was underway at the same time and would have happened anyway.

Moreover...the ACC is rich with sports ND is involved with?
Huh?
Everyone plays football
Everyone plays men's basketball
Eceriome plays women's basketball

As far as ND is concerned if they were to rank order of importance in sports...
Football far and away 1
Womens Basketball 2(a)
Men's Ice Hockey a very close 2(b) which actually competes in the Big 10

Men's basketball...
the ACC has killed Men's basketball. Think of their record once all the Big East kids had graduated and it's been a 101 percent ACC roster. They've been fighting for the door mat trophy yearly.

After that who cares.

Women's lacrosse? All respect to them but they have 6 fans in the stands.

Baseball? 44 fans in the stands with much of their schedule being the MAC.

What I think will happen is this....

ND is the only school that could take an American conference and turn the whole Power 5 nonsense upside down and make that become a Power 6.

Think about a few things...
unless ND joins the Big 10 none of them are ideal geographically.
Maybe the Big12 or some of it...but definitely not all of it.
Sec? No
ACC? No

ND could essentially make the rules of said conference as they'd control everything behind the scenes. They really do have that influence.
They could reward some of the schools with football games and essentially do whatever they want with football scheduling which means everything to them.

If the American conference stayed pat with participants it would give ND exposure in the northeast, to texas. From the midwest to Florida. They could use three games in conference every year rotating plus keeping the Navy game which is already a reocurring theme.
That gives them 8 weeks to go wherever and play whomever they want.
That's as independent as kind of half assed being conference affiliated as it gets.

Other than that they'd just go back to being independent across the board.
One could argue why not.
WBB will be fine.
Hockey is in the big 10 regardless.
Football..they WANT independence
MBB will be better off than being trampled yearly in the ACC.

You might not care, but other people do care what sports are already affiliated with the ACC as a factor to joining the conference. Your ranking of what sports are important I am sure reflect your thoughts and not the thoughts of the ND administration (Tankfully). I respect your opinion but to say that the best fit for ND is the American is absurd to me. You preach about how "bad" the schedule is now but you think the American is a good fit? That is wildly inconsistent, which is the only thing consistent about what you say or argue for, it has almost zero merit because you change your standards based on which argument you engage in.

1. Maryland will never be allowed back in the ACC.
2. West Virginia is a horrid cultural and academic fit for the ACC.

It wont happen, but Penn State would be the best fit for the ACC.

FYI Maryland left the ACC not because of the deal with Notre Dame, but because they badly mis spent their funds in athletics dept for years and were pressed by boosters (under armor) to make a move. They looked at the Big10 as a more lucrative option in the near term.
So WVU is a horrid cultural and academic fit for the ACC based off of what? I am assuming safely you are basing that opinion off of stereotypes. Louisville is a better fit than WVU? Its a geographical fit and WVU has history with more than 60% of the current ACC.

So WVU is a horrid cultural and academic fit for the ACC based off of what? I am assuming safely you are basing that opinion off of stereotypes. Louisville is a better fit than WVU? Its a geographical fit and WVU has history with more than 60% of the current ACC.

There is a lot of bad blood between elements of WVU and the ACC from the CR soap opera. Although it's possible ESPN will settle it all with a big check.

Regardless it is absurd for ND to join any division that looks like the Big East circa 2006. If we wanted that we could have just walked right in.

Maryland didn't oppose the deal when it was negotiated. Their plot to switch conferences was underway at the same time and would have happened anyway.

THANKS! Thought I read that somewhere back then, could have been something that was said in the haste of getting out as well....

Reactions: tbonesays
listen to a podcast a few weeks ago with a conference commissioner and this very subject came up. he said there have been no formal discussions on super conferences for some time now. no one can say what the future holds but i can see the status quo for at least the next 5 years.

survivors to the right...everyone else stay where you are

listen to a podcast a few weeks ago with a conference commissioner and this very subject came up. he said there have been no formal discussions on super conferences for some time now. no one can say what the future holds but i can see the status quo for at least the next 5 years.
Just an interesting topic. I think that one of the power 5's will go down and I do think that ND will join a conference fully in football. Now, if the playoff expands before conference shift, we will stay independent ish with the ACC.

Uhm, have you seen the payout projections for the Big Ten? That "zero value" is something like 30 million per school per year.

Uhm, have you seen the payout projections for the Big Ten? That "zero value" is something like 30 million per school per year.

"Uhm, have you seen the payout projections for the Big Ten? That "zero value" is something like 30 million per school per year."

Like I said -- outside of the media market, basically, from an athletic point of view, Maryland and Rutgers add zero value for the conference (now, MD is doing rather well this year in BB).

Big Ten School X
Baseline figure: $55 million in FY19 payouts (from USA Today review of Big Ten financial data).
Annual distributions:
FY20: $57.8 million
FY21: $60.7 million
FY22: $63.7 million
FY23: $66.9 million
FY24: $80.7 million (new Tier 1 deal)
Five-year total: $329.8 per school

SEC School Y
Baseline figure: $44.6 million in FY19 payouts (reported by the SEC).
Annual distributions:
FY20: $46.8 million
FY21: $49.1 million
FY22: $70.9 million (new ESPN deal)
FY23: $74.4 million
FY24: $78.1 million
Five-year total: $319.3 million per school

Pac-12 School Z
Baseline figure: $33 million in FY19 payouts (estimate from published data).
Annual distributions:
FY20: $34.6 million
FY21: $36.3 million
FY22: $38.1 million
FY23: $40.0 million
FY24: $42.0 million
Five-year total: $191 million per school

Can't find the Big-12 numbers

@Kelso86

Just an interesting topic. I think that one of the power 5's will go down and I do think that ND will join a conference fully in football. Now, if the playoff expands before conference shift, we will stay independent ish with the ACC.

The conf contracts expire in 2024, its not that far away. As for the P4 cfb could live without the rump Big12.

I do not understand your issue with the Big12.

I don't have an 'issue' with them, I'm just pointing out they don't need to be those ten in one conference. Lately Oklahoma has been to the Big12 what Miami was to the Big East.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT