ADVERTISEMENT

College football's top 12 stadiums based on fan atmosphere

Ive been to 3 on that list. Texas A&M was real loud but respectful to opposing team. Tenn. was great & very hospitable. Penn St was loud, cold & obnoxious. The troubles that have come their way couldn't of happen to a nicer group.

Ive been to 3 on that list. Texas A&M was real loud but respectful to opposing team. Tenn. was great & very hospitable. Penn St was loud, cold & obnoxious. The troubles that have come their way couldn't of happen to a nicer group.
After playing and then coaching I feel that the opponent brings out the best (or worst if you will) of fans.
PSU after joining the Big10 utterly despises OSU and Michigan. They've always hated ND no matter if up or down and they used to hate... I mean truly despise.. Pitt back in the 70's and 80's

It would be interesting to see just how kind fans are at certain places during certain weeks and a few I never been involved with...

Auburn/Alabama comes to mind.
OSU/Michigan
Michigan/MSU
FSU/Miami of the 80's/90's

There's a few I bet bring the absolute best or rather worst out of a fan base

Reactions: HarlemIrish
Been to all the Big Ten stadiums listed and I like Camp Randall the best. But I wouldn't go after 11/1----just too cold. Ohio State would be my runnerup.

Been to Clemson----tremendous venue with great people.

Unfortunately the piece doesn't explain what is meant by "fan atmosphere." I am taking that to mean loud, boisterous and intimidating for the visiting team. If so, how does Nebraska make that list? They have been irrelevant for decades now. ND has always treated visitors from the opposing team with hospitality and respect, which is why I suppose it is nowhere on the list. I guess I am too old to enjoy drunken students and fans yelling out F-bombs and hurling glasses of beer at the opposing fans. If that is "fan atmosphere," count me out.

Unfortunately the piece doesn't explain what is meant by "fan atmosphere." I am taking that to mean loud, boisterous and intimidating for the visiting team. If so, how does Nebraska make that list? They have been irrelevant for decades now. ND has always treated visitors from the opposing team with hospitality and respect, which is why I suppose it is nowhere on the list. I guess I am too old to enjoy drunken students and fans yelling out F-bombs and hurling glasses of beer at the opposing fans. If that is "fan atmosphere," count me out.
Our crowd isn't crazy or loud enough. Too many ushers making people sit and not enough younger people to stay energized the whole game. It's very disappointing

Our crowd isn't crazy or loud enough. Too many ushers making people sit and not enough younger people to stay energized the whole game. It's very disappointing

I think it can be fairly stated that ND's crowds are generally more subdued than other places, but I attribute that largely to the fact that ND crowds mostly don't get seriously liquored up like the crowds in many other stadiums. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing depends on your perspective, I suppose.

I am not a season ticket holder but try to attend a game or two every year. When the opponent is a good one, I think ND crowds can be appropriately noisy. Hard to stay energized, however, with the likes of Central Michigan or some of the other teams we have scheduled of late. Also, the open bowl design of ND Stadium simply doesn't lend itself to becoming crazy noisy like many of the other stadiums on the list. The student section generally seems pretty energized to me, but with ND's relatively small student body, there is only so much the students that faithfully attend games can do. When I attended ND I estimate that 90% of the student body attended games. As ND's student body has become smarter and more diverse, I wonder if that is the case anymore. I don't have the impression that football is as important as it once was. Hope we don't go the way of Stanford, where probably less than half the students attend football game, and many (if not most) alumni are simply indifferent to the football team. Of course, it is easier to be a rabid fan when the team is annually competing for championships. Sadly, that isn't the case anymore.

As for the usher thing, I know that is a frequent criticism but I wonder how much truth there is to it. I personally have never witnessed an usher telling anyone to sit down, nor have I witnessed anyone else doing so, and I have attended probably close to 75 games at ND.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
I think it can be fairly stated that ND's crowds are generally more subdued than other places, but I attribute that largely to the fact that ND crowds mostly don't get seriously liquored up like the crowds in many other stadiums. Whether that is a good thing or a bad thing depends on your perspective, I suppose.

I am not a season ticket holder but try to attend a game or two every year. When the opponent is a good one, I think ND crowds can be appropriately noisy. Hard to stay energized, however, with the likes of Central Michigan or some of the other teams we have scheduled of late. Also, the open bowl design of ND Stadium simply doesn't lend itself to becoming crazy noisy like many of the other stadiums on the list. The student section generally seems pretty energized to me, but with ND's relatively small student body, there is only so much the students that faithfully attend games can do. When I attended ND I estimate that 90% of the student body attended games. As ND's student body has become smarter and more diverse, I wonder if that is the case anymore. I don't have the impression that football is as important as it once was. Hope we don't go the way of Stanford, where probably less than half the students attend football game, and many (if not most) alumni are simply indifferent to the football team. Of course, it is easier to be a rabid fan when the team is annually competing for championships. Sadly, that isn't the case anymore.

As for the usher thing, I know that is a frequent criticism but I wonder how much truth there is to it. I personally have never witnessed an usher telling anyone to sit down, nor have I witnessed anyone else doing so, and I have attended probably close to 75 games at ND.
I have witnessed it multiple times. I've also been told by other fans to sit down

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT