ADVERTISEMENT

BVG - Needs to communicate in laymens terms & teach his D the same way

IrishBlessings

ND Expert
Jun 25, 2013
I read BVG's quotes and comments about his D the other day and had to read them 2 more times to decipher what the hell he was trying to say. Still not sure if I completely understood what the hell he was saying.

I have a job where I have to communicate and sell things to CFO's and Presidents of company's. Almost all of these people are highly educated and for me to be successful for them and their company's I need to keep the things I work w/ them on extremely straight forward and to the point. Always in laymen's terms. If they want me to go deeper then I do.

I found that when I started a meeting or did a meeting that was very "deep" or way too complicated that I would lose them and these are very smart people. I quickly learned to always keep it simple and easy to understand.

BVG is way too complicated - the way he answered those reporters questions about his D and the ND D the last few years is very telling. BVG needs to be on very short leash. If there is not considerable improvement this season (regardless of injuries, etc) he needs to be gone and gone quickly.

I hope and pray that BK realizes this as well and talks to BVG about talking to him about doing a better job of "teaching in laymen's terms" to his players and keeping his D scheme much simpler. The ND athletes for the most part are very smart - but playing defense is about playing fast and aggressive and instinctive. IF a player is thinking too much - that is the worst thing you can do as a player.

We have had way too many very good athletes now for our D to be so gosh darn bad the last couple of years. And this season we are well stocked w/ some very good athletes on D.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
I see it just the opposite. The guy can't string together a cohesive sentence. I didn't understand what he was saying because of his butchering the English language and rambling on about.. God knows what, not because it was too technical.

Reactions: IrishBlooded
I see it just the opposite. The guy can't string together a cohesive sentence. I didn't understand what he was saying because of his butchering the English language and rambling on about.. God knows what, not because it was too technical.

Agree Java - but whatever he is doing has not worked so far - whether it is not being able to convey his message in a way that is easy to follow or he is also trying to teach a D that is much too complicated for smart kids to even follow or grasp. My take - it is a combination of both.

Reactions: Java65
I read BVG's quotes and comments about his D the other day and had to read them 2 more times to decipher what the hell he was trying to say. Still not sure if I completely understood what the hell he was saying.

I have a job where I have to communicate and sell things to CFO's and Presidents of company's. Almost all of these people are highly educated and for me to be successful for them and their company's I need to keep the things I work w/ them on extremely straight forward and to the point. Always in laymen's terms. If they want me to go deeper then I do.

I found that when I started a meeting or did a meeting that was very "deep" or way too complicated that I would lose them and these are very smart people. I quickly learned to always keep it simple and easy to understand.

BVG is way too complicated - the way he answered those reporters questions about his D and the ND D the last few years is very telling. BVG needs to be on very short leash. If there is not considerable improvement this season (regardless of injuries, etc) he needs to be gone and gone quickly.

I hope and pray that BK realizes this as well and talks to BVG about talking to him about doing a better job of "teaching in laymen's terms" to his players and keeping his D scheme much simpler. The ND athletes for the most part are very smart - but playing defense is about playing fast and aggressive and instinctive. IF a player is thinking too much - that is the worst thing you can do as a player.

We have had way too many very good athletes now for our D to be so gosh darn bad the last couple of years. And this season we are well stocked w/ some very good athletes on D.
It was very easy to understand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodizephax
If was very easy to understand.

Pennick - you have any eligibility left and are you a gamer ? The ND D could use your help.

It'd be nice to have players on D who understood quickly (not take 2 years like for Greer Martini to understand) the BVG D scheme and what the hell he is trying to teach.

I don't know if BVG is good at teaching or not. I think we can all agree this is the year for him to prove he can be that man

Pennick - you have any eligibility left and are you a gamer ? The ND D could use your help.

It'd be nice to have players on D who understood quickly (not take 2 years like for Greer Martini to understand) the BVG D scheme and what the hell he is trying to teach.
You should have added what Redfield said last year regarding he had an easier time learning Mandarin. The fact is Redfield was too busy with off field activities to put his athletic abilities to good use.
I never put much stock in what any athlete has say. The vast majority think they should be starters and overestimate their abilities.

Last edited:

Have you ever heard Bill Belichick at a press conference? He is only the best coach to ever walk the planet. His job is to give the press nothing of substance at each and every meeting.

Have you ever heard Bill Belichick at a press conference? He is only the best coach to ever walk the planet. His job is to give the press nothing of substance at each and every meeting.
Yeah, comparing bvg's idiotic blathering/musings to Belichick makes sense.... bvg is a certified dunce. They should make him pee in a cup for this latest effort. PS at least he and Mr Potato Head figured out a way to get junior on the field.....

PS "While VanGorder brought with him schemes and personnel groupings honed in the NFL, he hasn’t been able to get his team to fully comprehend the advanced calculus his schematics require. Even if VanGorder is the teacher that Kelly described, time constraints at the college level—not to mention the academic workloads Notre Dame student-athletes carry—have likely made it impossible for a complete understanding of what’s being asked. Twenty hours a week doesn’t give you the time to teach a system that requires NFL professionals to commit their livelihood to owning a system."

Last edited:
Yeah, comparing bvg's idiotic blathering/musings to Belichick makes sense.... bvg is a certified dunce. They should make him pee in a cup for this latest effort. PS at least he and Mr Potato Head figured out a way to get junior on the field.....

PS "While VanGorder brought with him schemes and personnel groupings honed in the NFL, he hasn’t been able to get his team to fully comprehend the advanced calculus his schematics require. Even if VanGorder is the teacher that Kelly described, time constraints at the college level—not to mention the academic workloads Notre Dame student-athletes carry—have likely made it impossible for a complete understanding of what’s being asked. Twenty hours a week doesn’t give you the time to teach a system that requires NFL professionals to commit their livelihood to owning a system."
It would not make sense to you. He is teaching smart athletes not pathetic jock sniffers.

Reactions: echowaker
It would not make sense to you. He is teaching smart athletes not pathetic jock sniffers.
You are unhinged. This coaching regime has been consistently rocked by scandal after scandal..... Shall we discuss some of the academic ones? Shall we discuss why a walk on with less athleticism was the on field player tasked with deciphering the mess? Our HC stinks as does our DC.....

You are unhinged. This coaching regime has been consistently rocked by scandal after scandal..... Shall we discuss some of the academic ones? Shall we discuss why a walk on with less athleticism was the on field player tasked with deciphering the mess? Our HC stinks as does our DC.....
Yeah that is why they just signed him to a 6 year deal for big $$$$. He is one of the best and ND is lucky to have him!!

Yeah that is why they just signed him to a 6 year deal for big $$$$. He is one of the best and ND is lucky to have him!!
Almost 3 decades of coaching and his biggest bowl win is Pinstripe? Music City? Papa John's?
The administration has made one poor decision after another....
Mr Potato Head may be running the most corrupt/scandal ridden program in ND history. He stinks.....

This was Swarbrick's hire and he nailed it. They are lucky to have him!
Kelly isn't responsible for your misery. Take Echo's advice and seek help.

This was Swarbrick's hire and he nailed it. They are lucky to have him!
Kelly isn't responsible for your misery. Take Echo's advice and seek help.
They? What do you mean by that? Swarbrick's finest moment involved Manti and the catfishing. Other than that for the most part he has been a twit.

not to upset the apple cart here. The D was not great but it was average. The offense had a lot to do with the the team falling short last year.

BVG is going to coach a top ten defense this year ! It takes three years to decipher his complicated but effective Rex Ryan type defense ! It is now year three ! I expect the Irish defense to resemble the 85 Bears ! Mark my words !! I will bump this thread after every GREAT defensive performance by the Irish this year to make you Naysayers look like Idiots !! You're Welcome !!

They? What do you mean by that? Swarbrick's finest moment involved Manti and the catfishing. Other than that for the most part he has been a twit.
You should have listened to the Dean when he told you "fat, drunk and stupid are no way to go through life, son."
Swarbrick is an excellent AD.
Get some help.

I found Martini's comments enlightening. Been a critic of BVG and his complicated system, but reading guys like Martini expressing a good understanding of the defense and enthusiasm for the schemes gives me a fresh sense of optimism. I don't share Bodi's top ten expectation, but I think they surprise to the upside and a top 20 is within reach if we stay healthy.

I found Martini's comments enlightening. Been a critic of BVG and his complicated system, but reading guys like Martini expressing a good understanding of the defense and enthusiasm for the schemes gives me a fresh sense of optimism. I don't share Bodi's top ten expectation, but I think they surprise to the upside and a top 20 is within reach if we stay healthy.

I do get excited this time of year ! If not for the injuries last year we would have won it all ! I am going for my record in the Deadlift tonight and I am pumped ! I want to sack the Texas QB and smash his shoulder into the ground ! But I am too fricking old at 54 ! So I am sending powerfull COSMIC vibes to Andrew Trumbetti and Nyles Morgan and root them on to go Lawrence Taylor on the young freshman QB from Texas ! We are going to beat Texas 24 to 13 !!

Damn Bodi, I've been predicting a 17 point win for ND, and here you come along all pumped and predicting a NC, but only an 11 point win. Making me look like a wild eyed crazy.

You should have listened to the Dean when he told you "fat, drunk and stupid are no way to go through life, son."
Swarbrick is an excellent AD.
Get some help.

Actually, Roemer told me to keep my sense of humor on numerous occasions....
Swarbrick is an underachieving turncoat. He is also a dimwit.

The fact that you don't like him is a feather in his cap.

Agree Java - but whatever he is doing has not worked so far - whether it is not being able to convey his message in a way that is easy to follow or he is also trying to teach a D that is much too complicated for smart kids to even follow or grasp. My take - it is a combination of both.

Guys I hear you but the fact remains when the defense was healthy ND was effective .

I am no VanGorder apologist but the team was ravaged by injuries the last two yrs . The state of our defense by the end of the 2014 season was laughable playing a fr Dt and FR MLB vs USC by seasons end .

If he were not competent Kelly would know that and deal with it . IMO ND will do very well in run defense this season and depending on Studstill ,Crawford and Tranquill the pass defense might be ok

When healthy VanGorders defense pitched shutouts vs texas and Mich and held Clemson to 10 pts after the first two possessions . Last yr ND's scheme shut down Stanford's vaunted rushing attack .

Also for the first time since he has been here ND has recruited some potential pass rushers at DE

This is a message board , we see only surface issues . Kelly played LB in college and has been hiring assistants forever . If Van Gorders message was not resonating with the players Kelly would fire him .

Almost 3 decades of coaching and his biggest bowl win is Pinstripe? Music City? Papa John's?
The administration has made one poor decision after another....
Mr Potato Head may be running the most corrupt/scandal ridden program in ND history. He stinks.....
dead horse alert ! no new material ? you're slipping.

wow ! you really are pathetic. jack is one of the MOST respected AD's in America. the fact that YOU think otherwise only endorses the fact that he is. misery is truly your best friend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT