ADVERTISEMENT

Buchner supporters. You just got educated

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
Well now that Tyler is at Bama what’s your excuse for criticizing Freeman for taking a transfer? Goolsby says it upsets the ND locker room. Guess Saban is not too concerned about hurting the feelings of his QBs. Or his locker room. Guess Saban is trying to let competition be the determining factor in who deserves to play. Guess Tyler felt more comfortable trying to win a job against the bama QBs than vs Hartman.

So aS I said, it’s the way it should be. Everyone doing what’s best for them. Shut up Goolsby. Good luck Tyler. Hope you kill it. And if you do the rest of you rear view drivers need to be happy for him and realize everybody is doing the right thing here. It’s football. It’s life.

Last edited:
Well now that Tyler is at Bama what’s your excuse for criticizing Freeman for taking a transfer? Guess Saban is not too concerned about hurting the feelings of his QBs. Guess Saban is trying to let competition be the determining factor in who deserves to play. Guess Tyler felt more comfortable trying to win a job against the ban QBs than vs Hartman.

So S I said, it’s the way it should be. Everyone doing what’s best for them. Shut up Goolsby. Good luck Tyler. Hope you kill it. And if you do the rest of you rear view drivers need to be happy for him and realize everybody is doing the right thing here. It’s football. It’s life.
Odd narrative.

Ski is essentially saying that Freeman did the right thing to bring in Hartman, Hartman did the right thing selecting ND, Saban did the right thing bringing in Rees, Rees did the right thing to recruit Buchner and Buchner did the right thing selecting to transfer. This is college football today. Not odd, reality.

I don’t see Buchner running away from competition to join a team without having participated in their spring training being able to kill it on the field next fall.

Wow! Quite telling Bama didn’t pursue Hartman but pursued Buchner
Becky
I think it speaks more to Saban supporting his coach. It’s an experiment that remains to be seen. But Saban supports Rees. And a new start for Tyler can help

Ski is essentially saying that Freeman did the right thing to bring in Hartman, Hartman did the right thing selecting ND, Saban did the right thing bringing in Rees, Rees did the right thing to recruit Buchner and Buchner did the right thing selecting to transfer. This is college football today. Not odd, reality.
well said.

Tyler Buchner is a former elite recruit, pretty much on the same level as every other QB on Bama's roster, and probably has more game experience than any of them. And he was originally recruited be and played two seasons already for TR. And all that happened here at ND is he got beaten out by a great QB in SH. If SH had transferred to Bama he would have just as easily beat out of any of their QBs I would say. He wasn't 'exposed'....

So if Bama's QBs are as questionable thus far, trying to fill BY's shoes, as they're reported to have been, I figure TB has a great shot to win the job. And more power to him for trying.

Plus if he is on the fast track to graduate the way so many ND players seem to be, then in the event he gets buried on Bama's depth chart he can play his final two seasons somewhere else, like a San Diego St. or something like that....

It's a win win for TB and I'm stoked as F about it. This is an awesome development. I'd rather he had stayed, but if he had to transfer then please let it be Bama and that's who it is.....

Well now that Tyler is at Bama what’s your excuse for criticizing Freeman for taking a transfer? Goolsby says it upsets the ND locker room. Guess Saban is not too concerned about hurting the feelings of his QBs. Or his locker room. Guess Saban is trying to let competition be the determining factor in who deserves to play. Guess Tyler felt more comfortable trying to win a job against the bama QBs than vs Hartman.

So aS I said, it’s the way it should be. Everyone doing what’s best for them. Shut up Goolsby. Good luck Tyler. Hope you kill it. And if you do the rest of you rear view drivers need to be happy for him and realize everybody is doing the right thing here. It’s football. It’s life.
The issue is that the moment they took Buchner his ceiling was very high. What he needed was reps. Nd should have committed to him and that style of play as a freshmen and built the QB room with back up dual threat guys. If there were injuries the backups should have been of a similar mold. Instead they chose to bring in a transfer passing QB, Coan, and have him sit as a gadget. His backups were passers, which makes injuries harder to overcome. That didn't help him reach his potential. The fact that ND then doubled down and did it again is a flaw where instead of building an identity around a dual threat QB, ND is simply flip flopping what they want at the expense of their players development to chase a single season of success.

Now that's in the past. Moving on we have new issues.

If you think Minchey is going to start for 4 years and then carr takes over, you are dreaming.

If you think carr sits for 3 years. You are dreaming.

If you think Minchey sits behind Carr you are dreaming.

Don't give me Angeli crap either. He's not an upgrade over Pyne and isn't viable outside of second string and mop up.

If ND hits the portal for another rental... Someone is transferring immediately. It's quite a pickle.

Someone is going to leave at some point. I think that's a reality. ND needs to pick their guy, and let him freaking play and take lumps and LOSSES. Minchey or Carr.

Also, if freeman wants to commit to a pro style passer, then he should stick to that in his recruiting profile. Kelly and Rees royally screwed up with Phil and Tyler, gave them no support, promises of playing that never delivered and a systematic failure to build around their skills...even when the team needed it. That's in the past now. ND needs to decide on their identity and build their room around it. With the wrs in the room now this seems more feasible than when del Alexander couldn't get guys to play until their senior year.

Saban recruited him out of high school
The talent behind Tyler at Alabama can run a similar offense without drastic changes like Buchner to Pyne.

Start with Tyler who knows the offense, let's the others learn as backups. If Tyler struggles or is injured by game 5-6 make a switch.

It's a really smart move by bama.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Tyler Buchner is a former elite recruit, pretty much on the same level as every other QB on Bama's roster, and probably has more game experience than any of them. And he was originally recruited be and played two seasons already for TR. And all that happened here at ND is he got beaten out by a great QB in SH. If SH had transferred to Bama he would have just as easily beat out of any of their QBs I would say. He wasn't 'exposed'....

So if Bama's QBs are as questionable thus far, trying to fill BY's shoes, as they're reported to have been, I figure TB has a great shot to win the job. And more power to him for trying.

Plus if he is on the fast track to graduate the way so many ND players seem to be, then in the event he gets buried on Bama's depth chart he can play his final two seasons somewhere else, like a San Diego St. or something like that....

It's a win win for TB and I'm stoked as F about it. This is an awesome development. I'd rather he had stayed, but if he had to transfer then please let it be Bama and that's who it is.....
I agree

The issue is that the moment they took Buchner his ceiling was very high. What he needed was reps. Nd should have committed to him and that style of play as a freshmen and built the QB room with back up dual threat guys. If there were injuries the backups should have been of a similar mold. Instead they chose to bring in a transfer passing QB, Coan, and have him sit as a gadget. His backups were passers, which makes injuries harder to overcome. That didn't help him reach his potential. The fact that ND then doubled down and did it again is a flaw where instead of building an identity around a dual threat QB, ND is simply flip flopping what they want at the expense of their players development to chase a single season of success.

If you think Minchey is going to start for 4 years and then carr takes over, you are dreaming.

Don't give me Angeli crap either. He's not an upgrade over Pyne and isn't viable outside of second string and mop up.

If ND hits the portal for another rental... Someone is transferring immediately. It's quite a pickle.

Someone is going to leave at some point. I think that's a reality. ND needs to pick their guy, and let him freaking play and take lumps and LOSSES. Minchey or Carr.

Also, if freeman wants to commit to a pro style passer, then he should stick to that in his recruiting profile. Kelly and Rees royally screwed up with Phil and Tyler, gave them no support, promises of playing that never delivered and a systematic failure to build around their skills...even when the team needed it. That's in the past now. ND needs to decide on their identity and build their room around it. With the wrs in the room now this seems more feasible than when del Alexander couldn't get guys to play until their senior year.
Good points. Agree with everything except one premise - great teams need 2 solid QBs. And in some instances that is what happens. Case in point is Alabama and Clemson. There have been seasons where Bama actually changed QBs multiple times during same season. I think Jalen hurts n someone else comes to mind. Same with Clemson. Sometimes it’s not clear cut who is better. Kids need to realize that you can’t always be the starter. You have to compete. And it’s not going to hurt your chances to make it to nfl. Many nfl QBs made it and were not the starter for like 3 years etc. So the carousel needs to slow down

Bama's last 4 starting quarterbacks are in the NFL. The quarterback competition at Bama is on an entirely different level than Notre Dame. Saban loses kids who want to play, and they clearly aren't the best player for his team. But the best quarterback is on the field at Bama. If that is Buchner...then I will have second thoughts about how this was handled. Nick Saban plays for titles...and his quarterbacks either play at that level or they sit....and that includes Buchner..

great post!

There is one possible explanation here worth considering. Some buzz around Bama is that one of their quarterbacks is about to hit the portal...and that didn't happen after Buchner arrived. If the coaching staff has the idea that one of their 4 quarterbacks in gonna bail (with or without their help)....then that would explain Buchner's visit and commit. Will be interesting to see if that portal move happens.

Reactions: theskibro

Yeah if he doesn't start at Alabama he can just move on and if he doesn't start at the next program...he could transfer again. Great lesson to be learned. When in doubt, bail and quit. Brilliant advice! God forbid he competes 😛

Reactions: PHJIndy

As always it is someone else's fault TB is not good enough

Reactions: Pennick4
I’m curious. Did Goolsby say it upset the locker room when Coan was picked up ?

Yeah if he doesn't start at Alabama he can just move on and if he doesn't start at the next program...he could transfer again. Great lesson to be learned. When in doubt, bail and quit. Brilliant advice! God forbid he competes 😛
Joe Burrow, Justin Fields, Caleb Williams, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts.

Each one transferred.

Joe Burrow, Justin Fields, Caleb Williams, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, Jalen Hurts.

Each one transferred.
So what? means nothing as regards their motivations for doing so.

By the way they have prospered more or less in the NFL but a lot of people that never transferred have as well.
Now I can understand someone wanting out of a bad situation but I have no sympathy for those that quit when the competition is too hard. TB has had his chance to show something at ND and has not. Saban recruited him and Rees is there and that is probably why Saban signed off. HE does not have a great QB situation at the moment and that might be why he is willing to take more chances than usual.

And that players from the past and or not currently on staff at a school, wouldn’t understand the paradigm shift vis a vis transfers coming in. Todays players take it as common place where as Goolsby’s era was unfamiliar with it and assume that it would upset the locker room.

And that players from the past and or not currently on staff at a school, wouldn’t understand the paradigm shift vis a vis transfers coming in. Todays players take it as common place where as Goolsby’s era was unfamiliar with it and assume that it would upset the locker room.
👍

Reactions: HRC08
I’m curious. Did Goolsby say it upset the locker room when Coan was picked up ?
I don't think Goolsby explicitly voiced that sentiment, and he did RESPECT Coan. But he never seemed that thrilled with the idea of a transfer QB over a homegrown ND guy.

Goolsby -- and I don't mean to fault him -- is a HOMER. And as an ex-captain, he has good reason to be. Yet, I don't think he's allowing for the way the PERSONNEL COMPONENT to the game has completely CHANGED.

I don't think Goolsby explicitly voiced that sentiment, and he did RESPECT Coan. But he never seemed that thrilled with the idea of a transfer QB over a homegrown ND guy.

Goolsby -- and I don't mean to fault him -- is a HOMER. And as an ex-captain, he has good reason to be. Yet, I don't think he's allowing for the way the PERSONNEL COMPONENT to the game has completely CHANGED.
I think that you’re correct, but I think that his sentiment and the resistance to accepting how dramatically the landscape has changed is pervasive in the older generations.

Resisting change is a common trait.

I don’t know many football fans that embraced the introduction of the transfer portal, so I understand his position.

Last edited:
He competed and lost the job so took his talents to the premier program in the country with his QB coach who recruited him.

Reactions: tbonesays
I think that you’re correct, but I think that his sentiment and the resistance to accepting how dramatically the landscape has changed is pervasive in the older generations.

Resisting change is a common trait.

I don’t know many football fans that embraced the introduction of the transfer portal, so I understand his position.
Absolutely. And it does undermine what it meant to root for a given team that had a somewhat stable talent pool for at least 3 or 4 years.

Yet, for some programs, it's a case of the rich getting only richer. For instance, for USC and Colorado fans, I doubt there are many complaints, at least SO FAR.

I don't mind it myself as I've always been more a mercenary than a team-sensitive individual. I wore a lot of hats and jerseys in my life, and my feeling was that my loyalty belonged to whomever I was aligned with at a given moment. Just because I'd chosen to leave someone's payroll did not make me DISLOYAL.

I was happy to have Jack Coan and loved how he threw the ball, and I'm equally happy having Hartman and what he can do. But I completely understand how for many this is totally UNAPPEALING.

I don’t know anything other than what’s reported. It simply seems to me that MF felt the QB position needs to get better. I am sure players were mad he brought Hartman in the fold. But his job as HC is to win. I’m sure Hartman established himself as number one after the spring game. I like Buchner and wish he stayed. But as was already stated , the landscape has changed. It kind of sucks from a fan’s perspective. It use be that you watch the players grow and develop from freshmen to seniors. Now ? You really don’t know who will be on the roster from year to year. I hate to make any analogy but it’s like theses schools are hiring “ mercenaries “. Guns for hire so to speak. I know it’s good for the players. However, I don’t like it. But it is the way right now and just have to go with it.

Reactions: 4-4-3
Teams are going to be on the "cutting edge" of the double-edged sword...the portal. Suppose ND did not take a quarterback from the portal...and the likely scenario happens: Buchner gets hurt in game 3 or 4....if not sooner. Or, he doesn't get hurt...but struggles with inconsistency and the losses start accumulating. How would the season play out? And, ultimately.....what would the arm chair coaches then say about Freeman ignoring an upgrade at quarterback before the season started when options were available?

We have seen what Buchner brings to the field when he isn't sidelined. It isn't enough. The coaches understood that; and made the bold but clear decision that was in the best interest of the team...whether or not the players liked it. Lets remember....there are alot of fans who did not like Freeman's selection and expressed dislike that players appeared to have more input in the hire than should have been the case. I don't know if that is true or not....could have been. But their job is not to coach or decide the roster. Quarterback has been the Achilles Heel at Notre Dame for far too long. It won't get fixed inside the comfort zone or status quo. At least something beyond cosmetics is being done about it.

Reactions: 4-4-3
I don’t know anything other than what’s reported. It simply seems to me that MF felt the QB position needs to get better. I am sure players were mad he brought Hartman in the fold. But his job as HC is to win. I’m sure Hartman established himself as number one after the spring game. I like Buchner and wish he stayed. But as was already stated , the landscape has changed. It kind of sucks from a fan’s perspective. It use be that you watch the players grow and develop from freshmen to seniors. Now ? You really don’t know who will be on the roster from year to year. I hate to make any analogy but it’s like theses schools are hiring “ mercenaries “. Guns for hire so to speak. I know it’s good for the players. However, I don’t like it. But it is the way right now and just have to go with it.
It is WHAT IT IS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT