ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Kelly and Multiple QBs

Chitownrealist

Shakes Down The Thunder
Dec 27, 2006
As some of you may have noticed over the years Brian Kelly rarely goes through a season without relying heavily on two QBs. Whether it is something to do with his system, luck, injury bugs or by design, he has pretty actively used multiple starters.

Grutza, Dustin
Davila, Nick

2007 (mostly Mauk)
Mauk, Ben
Grutza, Dustin
Pike, Tony

2008 (3 diff QBs with multiple starts)
PIKE, Tony
ANDERSON, Chazz
GRUTZA, Dustin
Collaros, Zach
HUBER, Kevin

2009 (9 starts for Pike and 4 for Collaros)
Pike, Tony
Collaros, Zach
ANDERSON, Chazz
Kay, Brendon

2010 (9 starts for Crist 4 for Rees)
Crist, Dayne
Rees, Tommy

2011 (12 starts Rees, 1 for Crist)
Crist, Dayne
Rees, Tommy

The rest should be pretty fresh in everyone's mind. QB comps are tough. Highly competitive alphas trying to become THE alpha. I think Kelly is making the right move. Good arguments can be made for both and if they are both performing well in fall practice - let's see what happens when the lights come on. Additionally, the odds say they will both be called into action by necessity regardless of what choice is made at the start of the season.

As some of you may have noticed over the years Brian Kelly rarely goes through a season without relying heavily on two QBs. Whether it is something to do with his system, luck, injury bugs or by design, he has pretty actively used multiple starters.

Grutza, Dustin
Davila, Nick

2007 (mostly Mauk)
Mauk, Ben
Grutza, Dustin
Pike, Tony

PIKE, Tony
ANDERSON, Chazz
GRUTZA, Dustin
Collaros, Zach
HUBER, Kevin

Pike, Tony
Collaros, Zach
ANDERSON, Chazz
Kay, Brendon

Crist, Dayne
Rees, Tommy

Crist, Dayne
Rees, Tommy

The rest should be pretty fresh in everyone's mind. QB comps are tough. Highly competitive alphas trying to become THE alpha. I think Kelly is making the right move. Good arguments can be made for both and if they are both performing well in fall practice - let's see what happens when the lights come on. Additionally, the odds say they will both be called into action by necessity regardless of what choice is made at the start of the season.
yep. if both players have absolutely earned the right to play why shouldn't they ?

Grutza, Dustin
Davila, Nick

2007 (mostly Mauk)
Mauk, Ben
Grutza, Dustin
Pike, Tony

PIKE, Tony
ANDERSON, Chazz
GRUTZA, Dustin
Collaros, Zach
HUBER, Kevin

Pike, Tony
Collaros, Zach
ANDERSON, Chazz
Kay, Brendon

Crist, Dayne
Rees, Tommy

Crist, Dayne
Rees, Tommy

First off, kelly was not Cinci's HC coach in 2006.

Kevin Huber was a punter.

It's pretty disingenuous to not include their year to year stats. For instance, in 2008 Collaros threw 4 passes....other than that your post sucks.

It's pretty disingenuous to not include their year to year stats. For instance, in 2008 Collaros threw 4 passes....other than that your post sucks.

This is awesome...4 statements destroying the post and then hits him with "other than that your post sucks".

Other than that, how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?

:)

this is not a forum that like 'facts'; wanna be popular? shake those pom pom

or do like some: straddle the fence while pitting sides against each other!

Brian Kelly did coach Cinci in 2006 - go eff yourself.

Is it disingenuous to include Collaros and Huber in 08 when the Bearcat media guide lists them as well? Did u miss the more significant point that he had 3 starting QBs that year with at least 2 starts? Go find someone else to bully, or respond to the point. I've encountered soiled diapers more pleasant than you.

Reactions: HRC08 and Pennick44

Brian Kelly's history of coaching

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/brian-kelly-2.html

2006: very clear he was the coach of Cincinnati

Kevin Huber was a punter ; not sure if he ever played QB. cvgr you need to repeat charm school. obviously you never passed those courses

Is it disingenuous to include Collaros and Huber in 08 when the Bearcat media guide lists them as well? Did u miss the more significant point that he had 3 starting QBs that year with at least 2 starts? Go find someone else to bully, or respond to the point. I've encountered soiled diapers more pleasant than you.

Really, would you care to explain this??

2006 Cincinnati Bearcats Stats

Record: 8-5, .615 W-L% (38th of 119)
Conference: Big East ▪ Conference Record: 4-3 (Schedule and Results)
Coach: Mark Dantonio (7-5), Brian Kelly (1-0)

The media guide is showing a passing statistic. Huber is a punter not a QB.

Again, there is a reason that you are excluding season stats. You just aren't very bright.
Interestingly, this post sucked worse than your first one. Well done!!

PS Would you care to share the QB stats from porky's 1 game in 2006?

Last edited:
but, the point the poster is correct about is that Kelly teams have historically gone through QB's

this is not a forum that like 'facts'; wanna be popular? shake those pom pom

or do like some: straddle the fence while pitting sides against each other!
what language is this? Has SuperIrish returned disguised as Perse? that would explain a lot that is my theory and I am going with it

what language is this? Has SuperIrish returned disguised as Perse? that would explain a lot that is my theory and I am going with it
"s"
goes with like; if you have any other problems gettin it; be sure to ask.

yep! this season is gettin off on a great note! it is gonna be a hoot!
a feeding frenzie: ND forum fans devouring each other, in true Christian fashion!
And be sure to go to church on Sundays guys!

Last edited:
I think some negative nancies are reading too much into the qb deal. Brian Kelly said both would play vs Texas. He also said that the two qbs were two of the five best playmakers on the team. People are reading this as Kelly can't decide about the qbs. I'm thinking this also has a lot to do with the young wrs and how they will react on the road. If they go all deer in headlights we will need the option play zaire provides. kizer can be at his best but if the young bucks dont get separation on one on one coverage or get a case of the drops then Texas will be able to pin their ears back and attack kizer. They can't do that with Zaire. the Texas oc wants 85 snaps for his offense and if its hot, nd will need the running game to keep the defense fresh...again that points to Zaire. I do
truly believe kizer will be the guy after week one, but Zaire is the better play on the road at Texas with all the youth at wr.

Reactions: echowaker
Butterball did not coach a single game during the season. He coached the International bowl beating Western Michigan when D'antonio left.....

Let's just stick with recent history then troll. The last time Kelly ran a two qb system Notre Dame went 12-0 and to the title game.

Seems he can make it work.

Let's just stick with recent history then troll. The last time Kelly ran a two qb system Notre Dame went 12-0 and to the title game.

Seems he can make it work.

It'd be nice if you knew what you were talking about, but just keep making stuff up.
There was no dual quarterback system in Cinci. Pike got hurt.
Let me share some stats with you from the 2009 Cinci season.
Here's the passing attempts game by game.

Game 1 Pike 34 passes Collaros 2
Game 2 Pike 23 Collaros 9
Game 3 Pike 49
Game 4 Pike 26
Game 5 Pike 42
Game 6 Pike 25 Collaros 7
Game 7 Collaros 17
Game 8 Collaros 28
Game 9 Collaros 37
Game 10 Pike 4 Collaros 24
Game 11 Pike 46
Game 12 Pike 44
Game 13 Pike 45

Last edited:

he tries to bully but he has nothing other than insults. his ignorance is off the charts.

Reactions: Pennick44
didn't we all assume that both QB's were going to play this year? isn't the UT game part of the season?
so where is the surprise?

It'd be nice if you knew what you were talking about, but just keep making stuff up.
There was no dual quarterback system in Cinci. Pike got hurt.
Let me share some stats with you from the 2009 Cinci season.
Here's the passing attempts game by game.

Game 1 Pike 34 passes Collaros 2
Game 2 Pike 23 Collaros 9
Game 3 Pike 49
Game 4 Pike 26
Game 5 Pike 42
Game 6 Pike 25 Collaros 7
Game 7 Collaros 17
Game 8 Collaros 28
Game 9 Collaros 37
Game 10 Pike 4 Collaros 24
Game 11 Pike 46
Game 12 Pike 44
Game 13 Pike 45

I used to post here a lot. Now I just read with rare postings. I see why cvgr is often the target of hostility. If I were a mod I would ban the IP address associated with that guy as he pushes good people away. Just a thought mods. He obviously has a problem with reading comprehension also as the entire point of the post (as was stated in the opening paragraph - Kelly is accustomed to using two QBs, or more, whether as a result of design, injury or otherwise. cvgr is so ready to attack people he loses track of his point. Suck on that butterball.

Reactions: echowaker
Perhaps you can explain the dual qb system porky ran at Cincinnati in 2009.

Kelly did not design a duel QB system at UC. Pike got injured.
Zach played and did pretty well.

If healthy, Pike played.

Kelly had made similar QB moves in previous stops. QB's rarely make it thru a full season w/o getting banged up at some point.

2 capable QB's is a minimum. There are few Bobby Laynes out there anymore.

Reactions: cgvr
I used to post here a lot. Now I just read with rare postings. I see why cvgr is often the target of hostility. If I were a mod I would ban the IP address associated with that guy as he pushes good people away. Just a thought mods. He obviously has a problem with reading comprehension also as the entire point of the post (as was stated in the opening paragraph - Kelly is accustomed to using two QBs, or more, whether as a result of design, injury or otherwise. cvgr is so ready to attack people he loses track of his point. Suck on that butterball.

Yep, kelly used a 2 quarterback system last year. Who knew?

Talent, lack of talent, injuries, etc... usually dictate whether a coach utilizes multiple QBs. Most coaches adhere to the belief that a team needs the consistency of one leader. I don't think Kelly is any different in this regard. That said, ND is blessed with two very talented proven (some will argue this) QBs with similar, yet different skills. Personally, I hope Kelly is able to effectively use both throughout the season, and keep both positively engaged, but I expect one will emerge as the team's offensive leader, and the other will be a very disappointed young man. Of course, injuries sometimes prove to be the great opportunity equalizer.

Reactions: Nocalirish
Talent, lack of talent, injuries, etc... usually dictate whether a coach utilizes multiple QBs. Most coaches adhere to the belief that a team needs the consistency of one leader. I don't think Kelly is any different in this regard. That said, ND is blessed with two very talented proven (some will argue this) QBs with similar, yet different skills. Personally, I hope Kelly is able to effectively use both throughout the season, and keep both positively engaged, but I expect one will emerge as the team's offensive leader, and the other will be a very disappointed young man. Of course, injuries sometimes prove to be the great opportunity equalizer.

It looks like a week to week decision,

Q. Eventually, would you like there to be separation, or does it not bother you to play two?
COACH KELLY: It doesn't bother me playing two going into the Texas game, and we'll see what happens the next week against Nevada. I'm focused strictly on Texas and we are best prepared to beat Texas by playing both DeShone and Malik.

It looks like a week to week decision,

Q. Eventually, would you like there to be separation, or does it not bother you to play two?
COACH KELLY: It doesn't bother me playing two going into the Texas game, and we'll see what happens the next week against Nevada. I'm focused strictly on Texas and we are best prepared to beat Texas by playing both DeShone and Malik.
excellent answer by a fine coach. can't make any decisions on week 2 until week 1 plays out.

i'm not familiar with it. why ask me ?

Well, mirer pontificated that:

"The last time Kelly ran a two qb system Notre Dame went 12-0 and to the title game."

I was hoping you could shed some light on how he did this at Cinci and why...

"The last time Kelly ran a two qb system Notre Dame went 12-0 and to the title game."

well that is true about 2012. i'm not up on the personnel decisions at cinci when kelly was there even though its almost my backyard.

seriously. this troll has not less than four threads going on this qb decision for one game. Don't feed the moron.

probably on Blue and Gold payroll to stir shit up on free board.

I'm out. This guy is a moron fake fan that literally ran off the majority of decent posters doesn't get moderated for his nonsensical rantings about a top 5 coach at one of the toughest jobs in the country and takes over ever thread just because he thinks anyone cares about his opinion. Definition of troll. Later.

Reactions: Bodizephax
So, in other words you were wrong and buttercup did not run a multi qb system in 2009.... thanks for the laughs.....

for the record 2012 had clear starter and a clear backup.
you don't refute one premise with an incorrect premise.
2012 was not a duel starter QB setup.

and it seems pretty clear the guy does not like respect nor anthing positive about Kelly.
that's his perogative. Stop trying to change his opinion; you are talking to a rock.
I agree his use of descriptive adjective would be cause for moderator action if there was one, but then think of the vicious name calling and vulgarities by many of the posters. There is a whole element that cannot post anything not amounting to personal attacks. So wecome to the cesspool of ND fandom.

If this board was my intro to ND, I would probably be hoping USC beat the snot out of ND as their rewards. But my assumption is that these characters are atypical of the 'real' ND fans.

Last edited:
for the record 2012 had clear starter and a clear backup.
you don't refute one premise with an incorrect premise.
2012 was not a duel starter QB setup.

and it seems pretty clear the guy does not like respect nor anthing pisitive about Kelly.
that's his perogative. Stop trying to change his opinion; you are talking to a rock.
I agree his use of descriptive adjective would be cause for moderator action if there was one, but then think of the vicious name calling and vulgarities by many of the posters. There is a whole element that cannot post anything not amounting to personal attacks. So wecome to the cesspool of ND fandom.

If this board was my intro to ND, I would probably be hoping USC beat the snot out of ND as their rewards. But my assumption is that these characters are atypical of the 'real' ND fans.

You have a lot of balls my friend -- your are the most divisive poster on this board a legit delusional narcissistic hand job ...and BTW you have never been to South Bend --only real fans travel to S Bend - You are an internet twerp .

If this board was my intro to ND, I would probably be hoping USC beat the snot out of ND as their rewards. But my assumption is that these characters are atypical of the 'real' ND fans.[/QUOTE]

Of course you want USC to beat the snot out of ND. You are a USC fan.

Reactions: john0gaunt
Pers and CGVR are good guys. They make me laugh and aren't pon pon wavers. They are a nice balance to the ND is gonna win every game and make the playoffs every year crowd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT