ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Wimbush

jpstax

ND Expert
Nov 28, 2006
I just finished watching his HS videos at Rivals: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/8475/videos

So if he's presumably the "next man in" in Kelly's offense, I wonder if he'll be more like another Tony Rice or Everett Golson? Anyone think that's the way either the OC and/or QB coach will teach him?

Last edited:
I just finished watching his HS videos at Rivals: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/8475/videos

So if he's presumably the "next man in" in Kelly's offense, I wonder if he'll be more like another Tony Rice or Everett Golson? Anyone think that's the way either the OC and/or QB coach will teach him?

I don't think he'll ever be as good as Kaiser. He was highly rated coming out of high school but recruiting is a crap shoot and mostly like predicting the weather. Most "recruiting analysts" are about as smart as their job title suggests.

BW isn't nearly as ready to play as Zaire and we will suffer losses as a result. People get excited whenever there's a new player. There excitement is ungrounded. They make silly statements like he's the best recruit ever, bla bla. It's not a good thing. I don't know why Zaire left, but I cannot believe it had anything to do with fearing competition. I'm just guessing there's more to the story, but he's too classy to call anyone out. Zaire was good and I wish he would've stayed. That said, BW has potential so you never know. He could be an absolute bust, great, mediocre.

He'll be Brandon Wimbush and that's all we should expect. From what I've seen he is a much more advanced passer than Tony Rice ever was, yet he also seems to be a dynamic runner. The problem for our offense is that we will not have any depth at QB except for Book.
This is why I think Kelly will adopt more of a power running game next year with less planned runs by the QB.
If Briles from Baylor is getting a serious look that would be a good thing. Baylor runs a spread but features power running and has consistently put up high rushing yards.

I don't think he'll ever be as good as Kaiser. He was highly rated coming out of high school but recruiting is a crap shoot and mostly like predicting the weather. Most "recruiting analysts" are about as smart as their job title suggests.

BW isn't nearly as ready to play as Zaire and we will suffer losses as a result. People get excited whenever there's a new player. There excitement is ungrounded. They make silly statements like he's the best recruit ever, bla bla. It's not a good thing. I don't know why Zaire left, but I cannot believe it had anything to do with fearing competition. I'm just guessing there's more to the story, but he's too classy to call anyone out. Zaire was good and I wish he would've stayed. That said, BW has potential so you never know. He could be an absolute bust, great, mediocre.

Who the hell is Kaiser? You're quite the fan.

For those who have attended ND practices, they have been saying all along that the sky is the limit for BW. He has the arm. He has the speed. He is a tremendous athlete. He knows the offense. The staff has not been easy on him during practice sessions. He was not a zone read QB out of HS as I understand it but more of a pure passer. Expect BW to run out of trouble for long gainers. As far as pre-called plays for BW to run the ball? Rookies with no game experience are all behind BW. If he gets injured then that's what we are faced with. So, do you limit his carries or do you run the offense? The OL has to help out in 2017 and so does the WRs. BW will have Alize Jones back and that will mean a lot in passing production. As long as BW stays healthy, the offense will be fine.

Reactions: Bodizephax
If Briles from Baylor is getting a serious look that would be a good thing. Baylor runs a spread but features power running and has consistently put up high rushing yards.

Is this the same Briles you're referring to? http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ibility-mishandled-sexual-assault-allegations

Doesn't the story paint him as another Paterno? If so, why would ND want to have anything to do with him?[/QUOTE]
Kendall Briles the OC. I'm sure the "scandal" would be a central topic of any conversation he might have with Kelly.

I really do think Zaire left do to wimbush being competition for the spot, BW would have beaten him out. I think he will be a special college qb, just as DK may be a special NFL qb. I thought all along MZ was the better option for college gameplan, just how it goes. BW will be special, I'd put 50k on it

For those who have attended ND practices, they have been saying all along that the sky is the limit for BW. He has the arm. He has the speed. He is a tremendous athlete. He knows the offense. The staff has not been easy on him during practice sessions. He was not a zone read QB out of HS as I understand it but more of a pure passer. Expect BW to run out of trouble for long gainers. As far as pre-called plays for BW to run the ball? Rookies with no game experience are all behind BW. If he gets injured then that's what we are faced with. So, do you limit his carries or do you run the offense? The OL has to help out in 2017 and so does the WRs. BW will have Alize Jones back and that will mean a lot in passing production. As long as BW stays healthy, the offense will be fine.
Zaire attended those practices. I think that's why he chose to take his talents elsewhere.

Wimbush has a higher ceiling than either Kizer or Zaire.
BW has more upside than the possible #1 draft pick? Based on what? He's never done a thing. That's no knock on BW. I hope he excels, but Kizer has more upside than Jimmy Clausen and surely BW was not as good as Clausen coming out of high school. Losing Zaire was not a good thing. Clearly, losing Kizer was a bad thing. Making groundless claims that a 4 star prospect has a higher ceiling than the best QB in the draft is typical ranting that will lead to disappointment. remember how well 5* DC turned out? Everyone said he'd be better than JC. Some people just want to see a change. It's in their human nature, but it's not always a good thing.

This team just let two of the best quarterbacks in college football walk out the door early and nobody seems upset or concerned. Sad.

I'd be willing to bet that Kizer will go late in the first round if not the second. He's not going to be the number one draft pick based upon his inconsistent performance this year.

BW has more upside than the possible #1 draft pick? Based on what? He's never done a thing. That's no knock on BW. I hope he excels, but Kizer has more upside than Jimmy Clausen and surely BW was not as good as Clausen coming out of high school. Losing Zaire was not a good thing. Clearly, losing Kizer was a bad thing. Making groundless claims that a 4 star prospect has a higher ceiling than the best QB in the draft is typical ranting that will lead to disappointment. remember how well 5* DC turned out? Everyone said he'd be better than JC. Some people just want to see a change. It's in their human nature, but it's not always a good thing.

This team just let two of the best quarterbacks in college football walk out the door early and nobody seems upset or concerned. Sad.
Depth is a huge problem at Qb. Wimbush has talent but no game experience so we don't know what we have. Behind Wimbush we have even less talent or experience. Losing Zaire and Kizer was huge so I agree with you.

Here we go again. Another JV team hits the field. We have lost what, 5 senior starters already? 2 starting QB's.

That said, BW is one heck of a talent and I'm rooting for him. He's a big kid so hopefully he can stay healthy. Even as fast as he is, he should not be running the ball. Need to keep him healthy, but I know Kelly will run him.

As far as I'm concerned, Kelly should have started BW last year. He's always had the highest ceiling and it appears his other 2 QB's were planning on leaving anyway.

I think he could be the best running ND quarterback we've seen in decades. The guy can move.

I'm not worried abput Wimbush as long as Kelly keeps his passing reads to half field looks for the most part. Primary receiver, secondary receiver, tuck it and run. That should be his progression. He is the prototype read option QB in the college game, who can burn you with his feet if nothing is open. I don't want to see him hanging around in the pocket all damn game long.

Give him this offense, play up tempo and let him just attack.

QB: Brandon Wimbush
RB: Josh Adams / Dexter Wiliams
WR: EQ St. Brown
WR: Kevin Stepherson
TE: Durham Smythe
TE / Slot: Aliz'e Jones
LT: Mike McGlinchey
LG: Quenton Nelson
C: Sam Mustipher
RG: Alex Bars
RT: Tommy Kraemer

The offensive system should resemble what Sam Bradford ran at Oklahoma. Up tempo. Easy reads. Straight ahead run game. Big and physical... Really hope the new strength coach helps pack some size and strength on the OL, Josh Adams and the TE's. Run the ball North and get vertocal with your big, fast receiving threats. Sanders and Finke can help you diversify your looks against man teams, by running crossers in the slot.

Can't understand the argument for Zaire staying. BW by all accounts is a major dual threat talent. He should have been red shirted his freshman year and worked into the lineup for game experience this past year. Still, this is his year to show what he can do, and pining for Zaire and his two plus games worth of experience at the expense of this kid makes no sense to me. I love Malik and his in game attitude, but I felt his discontent permeated the sidelines, and there is no way he would have a positive impact competing with and likely sitting behind Wimbush. Everyone, including Zaire, is better off with him moving on. The guy who needs a lot of attention is Ian Brook, whom I saw play a few times his senior season and who has a lot of Jake Browning type skills. He needs to be ready if BW gets hurt.

Kaiser: we need an ND QB to excel on Sundays. When was the last one? Quinn, Clausen, Mirer were all busts. Jeez have to go back to who Beurlein? Kaiser just didn't have the horses around him this year but he looked good when he was throwing to Fuller, Brown, etc, and being protected by Stanley, Elmer, Martin in 2015... (*I'd like to see my Giants get him. How many years does Eli have left? Let Kaiser back him up for a couple of years and then take over! NFL doesn't seem to do that any more. It is either a home run or the door.)

Wimbush: Everything we've heard is that he is the guy. If Kelly and the coaches didn't feel that way Malik would be coming back. But it was clear Malik's time at ND had passed and we're now in the Wimbush era.... If as IIO predicts Nelson and MCGlinchey stay and Alize comes back we are going to have a solid offense with all kinds of weapons. (I don't want to see him running all over the place like Golson!)

I'm not worried abput Wimbush as long as Kelly keeps his passing reads to half field looks for the most part. Primary receiver, secondary receiver, tuck it and run. That should be his progression. He is the prototype read option QB in the college game, who can burn you with his feet if nothing is open. I don't want to see him hanging around in the pocket all damn game long.

Give him this offense, play up tempo and let him just attack.

QB: Brandon Wimbush
RB: Josh Adams / Dexter Wiliams
WR: EQ St. Brown
WR: Kevin Stepherson
TE: Durham Smythe
TE / Slot: Aliz'e Jones
LT: Mike McGlinchey
LG: Quenton Nelson
C: Sam Mustipher
RG: Alex Bars
RT: Tommy Kraemer

The offensive system should resemble what Sam Bradford ran at Oklahoma. Up tempo. Easy reads. Straight ahead run game. Big and physical... Really hope the new strength coach helps pack some size and strength on the OL, Josh Adams and the TE's. Run the ball North and get vertocal with your big, fast receiving threats. Sanders and Finke can help you diversify your looks against man teams, by running crossers in the slot.

Spot on hopefully we find a replacement for Durhman tho 13 catches when you play pretty much every game this season is really disappointing. He's an upperclassmen to boot. I also vividly remember a lot of big drops this season. Hopefully Cole and Brock are ready to go from day one but I know that is wishful thinking with freshman.

I am looking forward to him playing. I think he is more talented physically than Kizer or Malik. I just do not know about his decision making. I will guess that they will limit the playbook a bit and focus on him as a game manager who lets others make plays. That was what they did with EG his first year.

I hope he is good at the read option. With his running ability, he could be very effectiive there. Good speed. 225 pound guy built like a fullback. Strong arm. Hopefully, he can read the defense.

He has a lot of returning talent that he can work with on offense.

Kizer will not be the #1 pick; his team was 4-8.
I've seen Wimbush play live, in college, against college level defenses.
I won my Fantasy league two yrs in a row - I think I know talent when I see it.

Can't understand the argument for Zaire staying. BW by all accounts is a major dual threat talent. He should have been red shirted his freshman year and worked into the lineup for game experience this past year. Still, this is his year to show what he can do, and pining for Zaire and his two plus games worth of experience at the expense of this kid makes no sense to me. I love Malik and his in game attitude, but I felt his discontent permeated the sidelines, and there is no way he would have a positive impact competing with and likely sitting behind Wimbush. Everyone, including Zaire, is better off with him moving on. The guy who needs a lot of attention is Ian Brook, whom I saw play a few times his senior season and who has a lot of Jake Browning type skills. He needs to be ready if BW gets hurt.

"He should have been red shirted his freshman year and worked into the lineup for game experience this past year. "

That was the plan -- except that Zaire's injury moved up that timeline. I agree about MZ -- would like to have had him back, but it is Brandon's time now. He will have a solid 3 years.

"I don't think he'll ever be as good as Kaiser."

Is he related to Kaiser Kahn???

None of the above...

Kelly in 7 years has shown in ever single QB case how to regress a player.

It doesn't matter the qb coach, the "OC" ..which both are by title only because Kelly ultimately leans in on both so ****ing bad they basically are rendered ineffective.

It doesn't matter who is going what with Wimbush as long as Kelly is anywhere remotely close to him it won't matter.

Everything starts going well then Kelly confuses the **** out of them...then blasts them for messing up...when in fact he's the one constantly putting them in a terrible situation to succeed. Empty sets inside the five, 37 drop backs during a hurricane...I mean I could go on forever...

Wimbush might have amazing talent but it will never blossom as long as Kelly continues to be perfect...perfect at ruining and regressing promising athletes.

Reactions: Java65
"He should have been red shirted his freshman year and worked into the lineup for game experience this past year. "

That was the plan -- except that Zaire's injury moved up that timeline. I agree about MZ -- would like to have had him back, but it is Brandon's time now. He will have a solid 3 years.
Kelso, he attempted a grand total of five passes and ran seven times in the two games he played in as a freshman, U Mass and Pitt. U Mass was played first and it was a blow out win. My point being we had other QBs on the roster, admittedly none of note, but certainly capable of filling in during the U Mass game. They sure as hell shouldn't have burned his red shirt for the U Mass game. The Pitt game later in the season was much closer and maybe it was unavoidable given those circumstances, but the matter should have been decided from a cost benefit perspective during the Pitt game, not the U Mass game. Regardless, he has two years in the system and I hope we get two full years of quality QB play and on field leadership from Wimbush. If he stars he'll move on to the NFL, if he falters, than he'll be replaced. Either way, I don't expect we'll see three years from Wimbush.

Reactions: Kelso86
Kelso, he attempted a grand total of five passes and ran seven times in the two games he played in as a freshman, U Mass and Pitt. U Mass was played first and it was a blow out win. My point being we had other QBs on the roster, admittedly none of note, but certainly capable of filling in during the U Mass game. They sure as hell shouldn't have burned his red shirt for the U Mass game. The Pitt game later in the season was much closer and maybe it was unavoidable given those circumstances, but the matter should have been decided from a cost benefit perspective during the Pitt game, not the U Mass game. Regardless, he has two years in the system and I hope we get two full years of quality QB play and on field leadership from Wimbush. If he stars he'll move on to the NFL, if he falters, than he'll be replaced. Either way, I don't expect we'll see three years from Wimbush.

Yea -- but also remember, if Kizer had gotten hurt, then ND would have been in deep doo doo then. Getting him snaps in those games was probably just about getting him acclimated to the big stage (in the event he was needed). Yea, in hindsight, a 4th string or lower QB would have sufficed, but can see Kelly's logic then. Either way, he has 3 years left -- hopefully we get them all!

Reactions: sluggo69
Yea -- but also remember, if Kizer had gotten hurt, then ND would have been in deep doo doo then. Getting him snaps in those games was probably just about getting him acclimated to the big stage (in the event he was needed). Yea, in hindsight, a 4th string or lower QB would have sufficed, but can see Kelly's logic then. Either way, he has 3 years left -- hopefully we get them all!
You're right of course. I think I'm whining over the fact that this led to him red shirting his sophomore year, and that is when I think he should have been given significant game experience in prep for this upcoming season. A difficult balancing act for Kelly for sure.

Cowherd show was just discussing how BK is the least quarterback friendly coach in the game. Kizer got worse and so did Golson. Just a matter of time before Wimbush cracks from the screaming and loses all his confidence.

Reactions: 88ND and Kelso86
Cowherd show was just discussing how BK is the least quarterback friendly coach in the game. Kizer got worse and so did Golson. Just a matter of time before Wimbush cracks from the screaming and loses all his confidence.
Yep...that's because Cowherd uses my material.

Good article on Wimbush. A smart kid (Mendoza College of Biz in accounting), a natural leader, with a rocket arm. Would've like Kizer back for another year but I'm ready for Wimbush.

From his coach, Hansen -- Wimbush led his team to a state championship and was ranked 5th in the country. (Having Minkah Fitzpatrick as your teammate helps!)

“Notre Dame couldn’t be in better hands,” Hansen said. “He’s a leader, a fierce competitor. He’s been a dual-threat his entire life but honestly, he’s a pass-first guy who can escape and create plays, make something from nothing. He’s got a cannon for an arm. I’ve seen him throw the ball 70 yards. He has all the tools and all the skills.

“But I’m gonna tell you, he has the personality traits and the mental makeup to match all of that.”

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...y-line-notre-dames-next-quarterback/95467316/

Well hell then -- we may as well run the wildcat all year and let Wimbush and all the other QB's transfer out!

There is probably a reason you are not a coach!

A smart kid (Mendoza College of Biz in accounting), a natural leader, with a rocket arm.

Would have had no problem getting 4 wins this year and gaining much needed and incredibly valuable experience for next year. No way to quantify the value of one year's experience being the starting QB for ND.

think we are driven by that 4 and 8 record. I know I am............jimmer

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT