ADVERTISEMENT

Book Needs to Start Fast!

NotreDame du Lac

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 29, 2015
One thing he struggled with this year was slow starts. We can’t afford a USC first quarter meltdown and expect a comeback. Get the kid warmed up or something sooner. I hope coaching staff has been preaching to get in your groove early and not let off the gas. To beat Clemson, this team has to play lights out for 4 quarters on offense, defense, and special teams. I also hope the corners play aggressive. The USC game plan of letting them throw all over us without adjusting until half was garbage.

Last edited:
One thing he struggled with this year was slow starts. We can’t afford a USC first quarter meltdown and expect a comeback. Get the kid warmed up or something sooner. I hope coaching staff has been preaching to get in your groove early and not let off the gas. To beat Clemson, this team has to play lights out for 4 quarters on offense, defense, and special teams. I also hope the corners play aggressive. The USC game plan of letting them throw all over us without adjusting until half was garbage.
Hold the phone there....

A lot of the Book slow start is the early offensive game plan. The adjustments are beautiful but the starting game sucks too often.
Scouting? Maybe.

What is annoying using the USC game as an example. Everyone outside the ND sideline and coaches press box could see USC was selling out every play on defense. Long took entirely way too long to adjust with the misdirects, screens, seam routes from the slot. He's got to be on point immediately from possession #1.

Defensively we must make adjustments after first series or after a few first downs. Not after two quarters.

We'll never get away with that against Clemson.

Hold the phone there....

A lot of the Book slow start is the early offensive game plan. The adjustments are beautiful but the starting game sucks too often.
Scouting? Maybe.

What is annoying using the USC game as an example. Everyone outside the ND sideline and coaches press box could see USC was selling out every play on defense. Long took entirely way too long to adjust with the misdirects, screens, seam routes from the slot. He's got to be on point immediately from possession #1.

Defensively we must make adjustments after first series or after a few first downs. Not after two quarters.

If I remember correctly, Ian turned the ball over at the start of that game. Maybe I’m remembering a different game? Either way, he and the coaches have to get it going from the start. BW for all his faults, was good on the first drive. That helped us against Michigan. Urgency is key. We have to play out of our minds like the world is on the line and like we are behind by 10 the entire game. That’s how you beat Clemson. Oh, and blitz the hell out of Lawrence. Hit him on first, second, and third down the whole game. That kid should be shitting his pants every play. I want to see aggression from the corners. A couple interference calls are okay. Hit people. I want to see a scrappy OL show up with something to prove. Have confidence. Get cocky. Let’s kick some ass. Book should be able to pick at Clemson’s secondary. Annoy them. Wear them down. Convert. Get the right mindset! It’s 80% mental.

Last edited:
Hold the phone there....

Scouting? Maybe.

Lol. You are basically saying take a month of prep and throw it out the window because a team givea a look you werent expecting. Thats not winning many football games. You have to probe to try different things and then adjust at half. In game abandonment of your game plan due to an early unfamiliar look is how you lose. Both the game and your team.

ND is about execution. Execute execute execute.

Lol. You are basically saying take a month of prep and throw it out the window because a team givea a look you werent expecting. Thats not winning many football games. You have to probe to try different things and then adjust at half. In game abandonment of your game plan due to an early unfamiliar look is how you lose. Both the game and your team.

Yes. Execute. Book can annoy the piss out of that d if the game plan is good. We have to adjust if not. And blast the frosh. Make him wish he was playing Oklahoma.

WTF are you talking about.

I clearly said that if we see what the other team is doing...have lunch and the cigarette break until we change our gameplan it will be too late.

We can't do that against Clemson.

This isn't the USC Trojans. It will be 28-0 if Long and Lea wait too long

Bubble screens and passes to backs out of the back field will open up the run game and long passes. ND must run the ball to shorten the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT