ADVERTISEMENT

Book for Heisman?!

NotreDame du Lac

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 29, 2015
Anyone know why a guy with 73% completion rating, 300+ yards per game passing, few turnovers, legs that run all over opposing defenses, sack avoidance that turns into touchdowns, an 11-0 record, and a team that is headed for a national championship isn’t being mentioned as a heisman candidate? I get that there are other good players, but he has the stats of Colt McCoy’s best season. Who is as deserving besides maybe Tua?

Last edited:
Anyone know why a guy with 73% completion rating, 300+ yards per game passing, few turnovers, legs that run all over opposing defenses, sack avoidance that turns into touchdowns, an 11-0 record, and a team that is headed for a national championship isn’t being mentioned as a heisman candidate? I get that there are other good players, but he has the stats of Colt McCoy’s best season. Who is as deserving besides maybe Tua?

I was always a big Wimbush fan and didn't believe Book would be a good QB. I thought of him as a Tommy Rees type player But I was WRONG ! Ian Book has a great arm and can run well. But I especially like his "coolness"-- He looks like Joe Namath and plays like Joe Montana. The next game and the playoffs will be his time to Shine. He could become a ND legend. Ian Book could be the front runner for the Heisman for 2019 .
**** I was so wrong about Ian !! I still love Wimbush and think he can help the team but Book is our QB until he graduates ! Phil J. can wait a couple of years.

I've been posting on this board for over 10 years with a lot of people here .. when have i ever been mistaken for some homer who goes on and on about a player's greatness? I'm just shocked that after these past 7 games there's not more hype/more appreciation for this player.

The ND media and ND fans still talk about Ian Book like he's merely a good player/complimentary piece. The defense has been dominant all season, but until Ian Book took over, and ND started averaging 40+ ppg, the outlook of BKs career, and NDs 2018 season was completely different. Book literally has the entire offense on his back (with a group of WR that had very little experience/prospect pedigree/or success prior to him starting), and he's just pulling/carrying this group with everything he has.

The offense is night and day difference with Book at the helm. He has such quick read/reaction/release/pocket presence that i don't think anybody at the college level is going to be able to consistently stop him. And as great as Ian Book has been, he still hasn't really had a game where he was firing on all cylinders for all 4 quarters. I think he's just scratching the surface on his potential.

ND went from ranked 80+ on offense to ~15 since he took over, and the team overall rank went from 20th to 6th.

A QB makes all the difference in the world (good ones are EXTREMELY difficult to find/develop) and Ian Book is easily in the discussion after Tua with the best QBs/best players in the country.

Everybody just assumes Book is returning next year .. we should all be preying to god that he doesn't pull a Troy Niklas and bounce to the NFL after a major breakout season.

Brian Kelly/ND is doing EVERYTHING they possibly can to keep the hype down on Ian Book. Just wait until this kid goes bananas johnny manziel style vs a defense full of future day 1 draft picks in the college football playoff.

Last edited:
I've been posting on this board for over 10 years with a lot of people here .. when have i ever been mistaken for some homer who goes on and on about a player's greatness? I'm just shocked that after these past 7 games there's not more hype/more appreciation for this player.

The ND media and ND fans still talk about Ian Book like he's merely a good player/complimentary piece. The defense has been dominant all season, but until Ian Book took over, and ND started averaging 40+ ppg, the outlook of BKs career, and NDs 2018 season was completely different. Book literally has the entire offense on his back (with a group of WR that had very little experience/prospect pedigree/or success prior to him starting), and he's just pulling/carrying this group with everything he has.

The offense is night and day difference with Book at the helm. He has such quick read/reaction/release/pocket presence that i don't think anybody at the college level is going to be able to consistently stop him. And as great as Ian Book has been, he still hasn't really had a game where he was firing on all cylinders for all 4 quarters.

ND went from ranked 80+ on offense to ~15 since he took over, and the team overall rank went from 20th to 6th.

A QB makes all the difference in the world (good ones are EXTREMELY difficult to find/develop) and Ian Book is easily in the discussion after Tua with the best QBs/best players in the country.

Everybody just assumes Book is returning next year .. we should all be preying to god that he doesn't pull a Troy Niklas and bounce to the NFL after a major breakout season.

Brian Kelly/ND is doing EVERYTHING they possibly can to keep the hype down on Ian Book. Just wait until this kid goes bananas johnny manziel style vs a defense full of future day 1 draft picks in the playoff.
Praying
God

If he does well Saturday and is afforded the opportunity to shine in the playoffs, so be it. ND will live on. I hope that he does that well. I also hope that he does well, but continues his education. When draft boards aren't singing your praises, your education is the best thing

Ian Book doesn't have an 11-0 record, he has a 7-0 record. That alone is enough reason why he isn't a candidate.

I imagine going into next year he will be looked at as a serious contender. And I love how you say "maybe" Tua. As if anyone else even has a realistic option to win it this year.

I don’t care if he is or is not considered Heisman worthy today. There is simply NO other college QB I would prefer to have at the helm of my team right now. You can have Tua, Grier, Lawrence, Murray, Herbert.

I’ll take Book.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
I think Tua is overrated. Not as smart as Book.
I agree. He also hasn’t played anyone and has the best receivers, rb’s, and OL line in the country making things very easy on him. Tua would suck if he played for Wake Forest. Book would still be good.

I like Book. I'm the one that told everyone he's going to be the QB this year.

Is he deserving of the Heisman? Maybe. Will he get mentioned? No. Possibly as an honorable mention...but really not.

Why?

Had he started the year as the starter then he'd be talked about with the others.

He sort of got a late start in this Heisman thing.

The other reason is.... Highlights....to which he has none. His highlights are a bit on the low side which is what will keep Tua from winning as well.

Murray from OU will win this Heisman and it's not going to be close.

He's a highlight machine every Saturday aided by the no defense Big 12

Uncle Rico is pretty deserving but won't get it because of the lack of exposure west coast ignorance.

If you arent playing for USC, the west coast teams just don't have a chance getting the Heisman. Too many voters still go to bed too early.

Stanford has had a couple of truly deserving running backs over the past decade. Didn't win.

Murray from OU wins it. He's got the most highlights.

I like Book. I'm the one that told everyone he's going to be the QB this year.

Is he deserving of the Heisman? Maybe. Will he get mentioned? No. Possibly as an honorable mention...but really not.

Why?

Had he started the year as the starter then he'd be talked about with the others.

He sort of got a late start in this Heisman thing.

The other reason is.... Highlights....to which he has none. His highlights are a bit on the low side which is what will keep Tua from winning as well.

Murray from OU will win this Heisman and it's not going to be close.

He's a highlight machine every Saturday aided by the no defense Big 12

Uncle Rico is pretty deserving but won't get it because of the lack of exposure west coast ignorance.

If you arent playing for USC, the west coast teams just don't have a chance getting the Heisman. Too many voters still go to bed too early.

Stanford has had a couple of truly deserving running backs over the past decade. Didn't win.

Murray from OU wins it. He's got the most highlights.

LOL what? Book is a total playmaker/walking highlight reel.

He's been making opposing defensive linemen/linebackers look silly all year with his escapes, and then resetting plays and finding guys open down field. These are what good highlight reels at QB are made of. Also he throws a perfect back shoulder deep pass and he makes those 15-20 yard 'drop in the bucket' (between the safety, over the CB head) throws look easy. He threads the needle with the football better than anybody in the country. All these throws will show well in a highlight video.

I'm surprised someone from Book's camp hasn't already paid someone to chop up his video and publish it on youtube already.

Last edited:
LOL what? Book is a total playmaker/walking highlight reel.

He's been making opposing defensive linemen/linebackers look silly all year with his escapes, and then resetting plays and finding guys open down field. These are what good highlight reels at QB are made of. Also he throws a perfect back shoulder deep pass and he makes those 15-20 yard 'drop in the bucket' (between the safety, over the CB head) throws look easy. He threads the needle with the football better than anybody in the country.

His highlight video when someone finally uploads one on youtube is going to be loaded and really show off his playmaking ability. I'm surprised someone from Book's camp hasn't already paid someone to chop up his video and publish it on youtube already.
If his playmaking was that electric he'd be all over ESPN.

As I pointed out the Heisman isn't about deserving anymore. It's about highlights.

You really think he has the highlights to match Murray from OU?

I like Book. He is a good QB and only getting better.

Does he make fans Ooohhhh and aaaahhhh??

No. That's no disrespect to him. Nobody this year wows the viewer like Murray. That's just a fact.

This isn't about the better QB...the better potential pro...etc
It's one question, the Heisman. Which again is a popularity contest...

Nothing more.

The Heisman is a bit of a joke to begin with. It’s a marketing game in many instances and dominating ol/dL basically stand no chance. Just because he plays for ND he’ll be hyped to the heavens and stand a decent chance. We’ve had guys win the award that didn’t lead the TEAM in scoring, rushing, receiving or passing, hornung won on a 2-8 team and over Jim brown. Angelo played half a season and won and John huarte??? So I agree he will be in the mix for sure. If he played for any other team he wouldn’t be in the discussion. In my mind he needs a couple wins over top ten teams and he could achieve that in the playoffs. As of right now aside from the advantages for playing at ND, I don’t see it. But again after watching Ndamukong Suh, warren Sapp, Orlando pace and others get completely screwed, the award means nothing. How many Heisman flops in NFL? List is endless

The Heisman is a bit of a joke to begin with. It’s a marketing game in many instances and dominating ol/dL basically stand no chance. Just because he plays for ND he’ll be hyped to the heavens and stand a decent chance. We’ve had guys win the award that didn’t lead the TEAM in scoring, rushing, receiving or passing, hornung won on a 2-8 team and over Jim brown. Angelo played half a season and won and John huarte??? So I agree he will be in the mix for sure. If he played for any other team he wouldn’t be in the discussion. In my mind he needs a couple wins over top ten teams and he could achieve that in the playoffs. As of right now aside from the advantages for playing at ND, I don’t see it. But again after watching Ndamukong Suh, warren Sapp, Orlando pace and others get completely screwed, the award means nothing. How many Heisman flops in NFL? List is endless
He won over LSU. Not sure what else he has to do? What has Tua done that Books hasn’t!? Beaten LSU? No.

I like how the ACC does a better job promoting its stars than ND does :D

Checkout these highlight videos of Ian Book (only ones i can find highlighting him specifically):

Last edited:
Reactions: SIhoosier26
On the last video (vs stanford) checkout that play at the 35 second mark .. these are the types of plays that are so under appreciated about his game that he's made all year that don't show up on the box score/stat page. He's a really underrated athlete.

The offensive line/pass protect was terrible vs stanford but Book's athleticism/pocket presence made it null. This gives me a lot of confidence vs super talented teams that have good pass rush/defensive line that Book will be able to make plays/counter it with his pocket presence/agility and reaction.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT