ADVERTISEMENT

As usual Brey has ND falling apart in second half/

I'm usually very high on ND bball but that was bad, it almost feels like no matter the sport notre dame cannot win a big game. Same exact scenario with Nova. Very frustrating

Problem this year is the lack of a dominant "BIG" player. Geben is improving, but still isn't dominating.

To really succeed, ND needs all of the other starters Beachem, Vasturia, Colson and Farrell to be "on" ... can't beat top notch competeition if one of them has an off night.

Reactions: RowTheBoatND
Lost two competetive games to the #1 and #15 teams in not really neutral sites ... both games were 1 possession in final minute(S) ... chill out it's going to be ok ... lots of hoops left this season to determine what this team will be come March

All things considered, Brey does a very good job. Look college b-ball, and with it's HS recruiting, is really corrupt. With all the middle men, the payoffs and the BS with the inner cities, Brey has always carried himself and the school with dignity. Is it hard to win a NC ? Dam right. I would say next to impossible. But Brey has them competitive and in the hunt almost every year. To compete with the Kentucky's and Louisville's and NC and Dukes, there needs to be a lot of looking the other way to not only accept, but to tolerate the environment that surrounds all the best recruits. Brey's done, for the most part, a great job given the limitations he works with. I embrace the limitations, and understand the difficulty to compete. But each year, Brey and ND basketball usually does. A snifter clink to him and the staff.

Last edited:
All things considered, Brey does a very good job. Look college b-ball, and with it's HS recruiting, is really corrupt. With all the middle men, the payoffs and the BS with the inner cities, Brey has always carried himself and the school with dignity. Is it hard to win a NC ? Dam right. I would say next to impossible. But Brey has them competitive and in the hunt almost every year. To compete with the Kentucky's and Louisville's and SC and Dukes, there needs to be a lot of looking the other way to not only accept, but to tolerate the environment that surrounds all the best recruits. Brey's done, for the most part, a great job given the limitations he works with. I embrace the limitations, and understand the difficulty to compete. But each year, Brey and ND basketball usually does. A snifter clink to him and the staff.
Totally agree. ND is lucky to have Brey. He does more with less, unlike Kelly who does much much less with much much more. NCAAM is really a sewer

All things considered, Brey does a very good job. Look college b-ball, and with it's HS recruiting, is really corrupt. With all the middle men, the payoffs and the BS with the inner cities, Brey has always carried himself and the school with dignity. Is it hard to win a NC ? Dam right. I would say next to impossible. But Brey has them competitive and in the hunt almost every year. To compete with the Kentucky's and Louisville's and SC and Dukes, there needs to be a lot of looking the other way to not only accept, but to tolerate the environment that surrounds all the best recruits. Brey's done, for the most part, a great job given the limitations he works with. I embrace the limitations, and understand the difficulty to compete. But each year, Brey and ND basketball usually does. A snifter clink to him and the staff.
Great post.

I know our irish lost people but can we please get along with each other with it being the holiday season

The second half meltdown against two top teams that we had on the ropes in consecutive games killed me.

We could be and even should be 11-0 right now but I honestly do not think we are that good. Maybe the way I should look at it is we played better than our personnel in those games.

As Brey said, we have to have our big 4 producing to win these types of games. I will add to that "until Gibbs and Rex" are ready to replace them for extended minutes when one of them disappears like Beachem against Nova and SV against Purdue.

Brey also said that we stopped moving on offense in the second half against both Nova and Purdue. Too much standing around. Gibbs and Rex are the solutions there as well I think to keep the starters fresh and let them watch the game from the bench a bit when they are off kilter.

Gebens is becoming a valuable contributor. Farrell has exceeded all my expectations. Ryan is really showing the effects of being out so long. If Gebens continues to grow and Ryan gets back into the flow, we could have a team that makes some noise in the ACC.

It is going to be a long season but if you told me we would be 9-2 at this point I would have said nice job.

Perhaps instead of "blaming" someone for losing we should give credit for someone who won! Purdue did a great job in the 2nd half. By going smaller and more athletic they were able to match up with ND's line-up. They also did a better job of banging ND's cutters and disrupt the flow ND had going in the first half. And the refs let alot of this go. By sitting Haas they eliminated the one mismatch ND had on every possession. If you noticed ND's one big guy, Geben?, didn't do anything in the 2nd half. In the first half he lived off Haas giving help and Farrell dishing the ball...that was taken away in the 2nd half....Give Painter credit...they have very good players as does 'Nova. It wasn't like ND lost to 2 lousy squads...but be advised..Purdue showed people how to play against ND.

Don't know how much this affected the game, but ND just came out of FINALS ... my understanding is that teams can't practice during finals week, so at most they had only one day of practice before playing Purdue.

The girls played on Sunday, and the announcers mentioned they hadn't practiced for a week due to finals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT