ADVERTISEMENT

Al Golden blitz schemes

Quest4Twelve

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Aug 31, 2009
I hope someone who knows the x’s & O’s better than me can explain Golden’s packages. The most common blitzes we see are the linebackers shooting the A & B gaps and usually getting picked up. Every so often you see the safety come down and blitz with the same results. I really hope they’ve been working on some of these games that Freeman liked from NC State for this week.

I hope someone who knows the x’s & O’s better than me can explain Golden’s packages. The most common blitzes we see are the linebackers shooting the A & B gaps and usually getting picked up. Every so often you see the safety come down and blitz with the same results. I really hope they’ve been working on some of these games that Freeman liked from NC State for this week.
My belief is those were used against athletic QBs to keep them in the pocket and stop the run with 6. CMU was the only team to really take advantage of it while we were playing a ton of players and popping a few good runs. It forces teams to have to throw against us with a shrinking pocket, against 5 DBs, most of which are very good. Typically that type of QB doesn't want to hang in the pocket all game.

Most blitzes designed to get to the qb are disguise to overload to a side, this also leaves you vulnerable to RB run or QB scramble on the other side. I don't think we wanted to let that happen vs running QBs our first 4 games.

I hope to see more blitzes and pass rush aimed at getting to the QB this week, vs contain and collapse pocket. It's a balance to keep McCord off balance.

I don’t want to see a single blitz where we get great penetration and then whiff on making the tackle. It was a thing of beauty to see Harper blitz against Central Michigan and launch his body into the chest of their QB, and I hope we see more of this against Ohio St.
I also hope we see Sneed rushing off the edge a lot more as his speed and quickness can Present problems, but he Needs to finish a hell of a lot better than he did last week.
But the extent to which we blitz will be largely dictated by how effective our front six is in stopping the run, and how good our DBs are in coming up quickly to provide run support. Our tackling has not been great all year, and it was less than good last week, and the middle of our defense has not kept blockers from getting to the second level, etc…. We desperately need Mills and Cross to have BIG games this weekend, and we could really benefit from Gabriel getting a dozen really effective snaps along with Onye; and we desperately need to show major improvement in tackling at every position. Otherwise Ohio St will run the ball all day long and getting to the QB will be the least of our problems.

Great job by bertrand. He got triple teamed off the head fake.

Hopefully Al will have some good stuff dialed up Saturday.

I’m far from an expert, but here’s my two cents.

ND was running those double inside blitzes in 2021 under Freeman. That’s a Freeman thing as is everything you see on defense IMO. Its his show.

Blitzes are often times going to get picked up unless you’re playing Cover 0 where you’re rushing more than they have to block. The offense’s objective is to block everyone or get the ball out (obviously). Do you remember that long crossing pattern that was completed by CMU? That was an 8 man pass protection against 6 blitzers. Not much of a chance and it took a great throw right past the defender to make it happen. I suppose you want someone to win 1 on 1 but 8 against 6 is good for the offense.

Sometimes the results don’t matter as much as the process. Its about being sound. If you get pressure, but leave a rush lane for the QB to escape, is that good defense? Check the play at 9:21 of the 1st quarter against NC State. ND gets a free rusher but they leave a huge lane for the QB to escape when they’re playing man coverage. They’re lucky Armstrong didn’t run it. It should have been a first down.

Obviously you want to make plays, but you’re also at the mercy of the offense’s execution. Hinish had a QB pressure. That was a blown assignment by the CMU player. That big hit Harper had that caused a fumble? The WR was stalk blocking while the QB was waiting to throw a pass. He probably should have just chucked it over his head. Two mess ups by CMU result in a big hit and near turnover.

None of what I’m saying is to imply that I’m happy with the blitzing situation or the defense.

ND was running those double inside blitzes in 2021 under Freeman. That’s a Freeman thing as is everything you see on defense IMO. Its his show.

Blitzes are often times going to get picked up unless you’re playing Cover 0 where you’re rushing more than they have to block. The offense’s objective is to block everyone or get the ball out (obviously). Do you remember that long crossing pattern that was completed by CMU? That was an 8 man pass protection against 6 blitzers. Not much of a chance and it took a great throw right past the defender to make it happen. I suppose you want someone to win 1 on 1 but 8 against 6 is good for the offense.

Sometimes the results don’t matter as much as the process. Its about being sound. If you get pressure, but leave a rush lane for the QB to escape, is that good defense? Check the play at 9:21 of the 1st quarter against NC State. ND gets a free rusher but they leave a huge lane for the QB to escape when they’re playing man coverage. They’re lucky Armstrong didn’t run it. It should have been a first down.

Obviously you want to make plays, but you’re also at the mercy of the offense’s execution. Hinish had a QB pressure. That was a blown assignment by the CMU player. That big hit Harper had that caused a fumble? The WR was stalk blocking while the QB was waiting to throw a pass. He probably should have just chucked it over his head. Two mess ups by CMU result in a big hit and near turnover.

None of what I’m saying is to imply that I’m happy with the blitzing situation or the defense.
In your opinion this Saturday on 3rd and 5+ do you want to see Golden bring pressure or play coverage with Marist and Jean-Baptiste coming off the edges?

I would agree. Sometimes you are simply trying to get a QB to stay out of chunk plays by forcing the check down. Teams like CMU dont have the skill players to just beat you over and over so ND played pretty generic D.

Its frustration for us, but the stats played out. What, 80 yards after the first half?

Against OSU, like NCS, those teams can sub players with little drop off like ND. This means you play more man, you take chance, you get a bit more exotic in your blitz. The OSU QB will not have the full play book. Will not have seen some of what we can bring. Will not have been against the same speed/talent, Sam certainly has.

I doubt you will the same coverages and straight up telegraphed blitzes. This will be more like NCS on both sides. Receivers will be covered, they will get hit, there will be blood. QB's will be forced to checks, they will be hit, they will take throw aways. You are going to have to beat someone 1:1.

In your opinion this Saturday on 3rd and 5+ do you want to see Golden bring pressure or play coverage with Marist and Jean-Baptiste coming off the edges?

Its a tough question. There will be plenty of third downs to do different things.

If there was just one third down in the game, I’d say bring pressure because of ND’s good corners and Harper. Play man.

ND held their own last year against these guys as NCdomer1 has stated.

I just want to see less blitzing and play more straight up. We can still do plenty of stunts and things with the DL. I just don’t want too see constant blitzing.

Execution needs to improve big time though. Look at 4:20 in the third against CMU. Henderson gives up contain on blitz. He does it again at 2:52 on the sprint out. Doesn’t seem like he would have covered the back if he had released into a pass route either, which means that this was probably a busted assignment in addition to poor technique.

The safeties don’t look like they’re playing well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT