ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Captains

Really cool to see that some of the best veteran football players on the team are also some of the most well liked and respected guys on the team as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishMike409
Definitely Evans. He could be a 2nd or 3rd rounder.

Add in Mitchell, Oben

Maybe Botelho
Yeah Evans is drafted no doubt if he’s healthy but I said maybe because I’m not 100% sold he’ll be 100% this year

Feel bad critiquing players two posts in a row but I don't see the love affair with Evans. Unless I missed something I have not seem him flash in a way similar to Mayer, Tremble, Eifert, etc. He actually seems a little stiff. Eli Raridon looks to be an elite pass catcher and much more fluid. I have not been watching the in-line blocking of Evans so perhaps that's where he is most capable and Raridon is weakest.

Feel bad critiquing players two posts in a row but I don't see the love affair with Evans. Unless I missed something I have not seem him flash in a way similar to Mayer, Tremble, Eifert, etc. He actually seems a little stiff. Eli Raridon looks to be an elite pass catcher and much more fluid. I have not been watching the in-line blocking of Evans so perhaps that's where he is most capable and Raridon is weakest.
Evans is the real deal. 6'5" 250lbs and to be able run like him and be so fluid, crazy impressive. Great receiver out of the TE position

Evans is the real deal. 6'5" 250lbs and to be able run like him and be so fluid, crazy impressive. Great receiver out of the TE position
Thank You for not saying “…elite…” which is your typical description of many Notre Dame football players.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelso86
Evans has shown himself to be a reliable, good pass catcher. I’m not sure how he stacks up as a route runner, and I’m not keen on him as a run blocker though I have to believe he’s better than Raridon.

I don’t think we’ve seen enough of Raridon to consider him an elite pass catcher (not that you were necessarily claiming he was), and I thought he struggled blocking last year.

I think there’s a very good chance that Flanagan will surpass Raridon by the time Raridon leaves. But Raridon was only a sophomore last year and coming off of injuries so maybe he’ll be the #1 in 2025.

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
He decided not to come back for his 5th season

Both of those guys are only juniors. So they would be passing up on their 4th season
My bad. I thought Banks just had that one season starting, then left.

He was really good at Guard, and some posters here (myself included) wanted him back to play one of the Tackle spots.

I think the 49ers took him w their 2nd round pick, and unless I'm mistaken, it's worked out well for him.

I mistakenly thought he left early.....

He was really good at Guard, and some posters here (myself included) wanted him back to play one of the Tackle spots.

I think the 49ers took him w their 2nd round pick, and unless I'm mistaken, it's worked out well for him.

2nd round pick is correct. He had a very underwhelming rookie year but has been a solid player since. Will be a free agent next year. I expect he will get paid well.

I follow the 49ers. Aaron Banks is a solid pro.

Tremble over Evans!?

Evans has shown himself to be a reliable, good pass catcher. I’m not sure how he stacks up as a route runner, and I’m not keen on him as a run blocker though I have to believe he’s better than Raridon.

I don’t think we’ve seen enough of Raridon to consider him an elite pass catcher (not that you were necessarily claiming he was), and I thought he struggled blocking last year.

I think there’s a very good chance that Flanagan will surpass Raridon by the time Raridon leaves. But Raridon was only a sophomore last year and coming off of injuries so maybe he’ll be the #1 in 2025.
I am pretty high on Evans. He sort of came out of nowhere last year and showed some impressive pass catching skills before his injury, though I haven't really studied his run blocking. I hope he picks up where he left off last year.

You may be right about Flanigan. ON3 has Flanigan listed at the #3 position on its "Future Freaks" list. BTW, Deuce Knight checks in at #1 on the Future Freaks list and OT Will Black is at #9; how crazy is it that ND has 3 players on the list, assuming we can hold onto Deuce?

Flanigan ran track and field in HS, with an 11.44 100m and is the state champion in the shot put, with a put of 61'7". Aside from track and field, Flanigan was an all-state hockey player (how would you like to see a guy his size coming at you in the corner?) and also played basketball. His athleticism sort of jumps off the charts, and at 6'5.5" and 245 lbs. he has ideal size for the TE position. He could be the next great ND TE.

I agree with all of this. To me it's if Raridon returns to himself pre injuries or not. He was not his dynamic self last year, after 2 major surgeries. He's had significant time to prepare. I think we either see a big leap forward this year with Raridon, or he becomes a contributor and "what if" type player instead of the game change and high draft pick I thought he could be.

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
Seems to be a trend for the incoming transfer QB to be named a captain. I'm OK with that.

Pete Sampson recently did a story on Riley Leonard that was published in The Athletic. Aside from Riley's impressive athletic skills, what really stood out to me in the story was Riley's leadership qualities. He seems to be one of those guys that is just a natural leader. You hope your QB has that trait, but not every QB does. Many of Riley's former teammates at Duke had nothing but high praise for him, as did some of his new ND teammates. Obviously we all hope Riley backs that up with his play on the field, but he seems to be one of those guys you want to go into battle with.

Reactions: NDSMC78
Evans just gets open,catches the ball and pretty tough to bring down. Not a beauty contest.

I am pretty high on Evans. He sort of came out of nowhere last year and showed some impressive pass catching skills before his injury, though I haven't really studied his run blocking. I hope he picks up where he left off last year.

You may be right about Flanigan. ON3 has Flanigan listed at the #3 position on its "Future Freaks" list. BTW, Deuce Knight checks in at #1 on the Future Freaks list and OT Will Black is at #9; how crazy is it that ND has 3 players on the list, assuming we can hold onto Deuce?

Flanigan ran track and field in HS, with an 11.44 100m and is the state champion in the shot put, with a put of 61'7". Aside from track and field, Flanigan was an all-state hockey player (how would you like to see a guy his size coming at you in the corner?) and also played basketball. His athleticism sort of jumps off the charts, and at 6'5.5" and 245 lbs. he has ideal size for the TE position. He could be the next great ND TE.
In case we weren’t on the same page, I was referring to Cooper Flanagan, the current sophomore on the team. I can’t speak too much to Evans’ technique and fundamentals of blocking on the line of scrimmage, but I’ve seen a few “what the hell was that” things in the blocking game. To be fair, that’s something that probably happens to every player at some time, but it can cost the team games.

I’ve seen that enough times to be suspicious of him as blocker. The TE’s as a whole struck me as being less than good blockers during the 2023 season. I’m not sure what exactly the issue was but am interested to see how it plays out with a new position coach/OC…and I’m far from a Parker hater.

That’s good to know regarding the younger Flanigan. I’d tend to think that multi-sport athletes can potentially have a leg up on guys that only played football. Not a rule, but I think it might help a little.

Pete Sampson recently did a story on Riley Leonard that was published in The Athletic. Aside from Riley's impressive athletic skills, what really stood out to me in the story was Riley's leadership qualities. He seems to be one of those guys that is just a natural leader. You hope your QB has that trait, but not every QB does. Many of Riley's former teammates at Duke had nothing but high praise for him, as did some of his new ND teammates. Obviously we all hope Riley backs that up with his play on the field, but he seems to be one of those guys you want to go into battle with.
IMO, Sam Hartman was a natural leader. Same with Ian Book.

IMO, Sam Hartman was a natural leader. Same with Ian Book.
I dont think Sam was a natural leader at all. Not really his personality

Book moreso but Riley Leonard for sure.

Brady Quinn was the best leader of any QB we've had in the last 25 years

Agree.

I think Sam Hartman could have led the team to the CFP given a competent OC and some WRs, but he did not seem like a leader.

I know it was reported but I was at 4 games last year and he was ALWAYS off to the side by himself, even in warmups and timeouts.

Sam Hartman was named a captain by Marcus Freeman, which is based largely off a vote by the team. I thought Sam Hartman was a solid natural leader.

And obviously so did his teammates and coaches.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
Sam Hartman was named a captain by Marcus Freeman, which is based largely off a vote by the team. I thought Sam Hartman was a solid natural leader.

And obviously so did his teammates and coaches.
When you bring over a 7 figure QB in his 6th year, he's going to be a Captain almost every time

I'm just basing it off what I seen on the field, on the sidelines and his personality

If he actually was a leader, it definitely didn't feel or seem natural to me

Reactions: sjb75
When you bring over a 7 figure QB in his 6th year, he's going to be a Captain almost every time

I'm just basing it off what I seen on the field, on the sidelines and his personality

If he actually was a leader, it definitely didn't feel or seem natural to me
Fair enough. Well, there is also something to be said for different forms, different types of leadership. I was a big fan of his overall style of play.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT