ADVERTISEMENT

2015 Depth Chart Prediction

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
Figured I'd take a swing at the depth chart and what it will look like... I'll start with the offense.

QB: Malik Zaire (JR): 6'0, 222lbs
2. Brandon Wimbush (FR): 6'1, 215lbs

RB: Tarean Folston (JR): 5'10, 214lbs
2. C.J. Procise (SR): 6'1, 220lbs

WR: Will Fuller (JR): 6'0, 184lbs
2. Torii Hunter (JR) 6'0, 195lbs

WR: Chris Brown (SR): 6'2, 195lbs
2. Corey Robinson (JR): 6'5, 215lbs

Slot: Amir Carlisle (SR): 5'10, 195lbs ORTorii Hunter (JR): 6'0, 195lbs

TE: Durham Smythe (JR): 6'5, 245lbs
2. Tyler Luatua (SOPH): 6'3, 255lbs or Aliz'e Jones (FR): 6'5, 240lbs

LT: Ronnie Stanley (SR): 6'6, 315lbs
2. Alex Bars (SOPH): 6'6, 320lbs

LG: Quenton Nelson (SOPH): 6'5, 325lbs

C: Nick Martin (SR): 6'5, 301lbs
2. Sam Mustipher (SOPH) 6'2, 305lbs

RG: Steve Elmer (JR): 6'6, 315lbs
2. John Montelus (JR): 6'4, 320lbs

RT: Mike McGlinchey (JR): 6'8, 310lbs

Notes

- While I think Deshone Kizer is a great kid to have in the system, it's my belief that Brandon Wimbush is the future (after Zaire). They would like to redshirt Wimbush and create separation, so what this comes down to is why a quarterback not name Zaire happens to be coming into the game. If it's for mop up duty, or because Zaire gets banged up a bit, it will be Kizer in the short term. If it's a serious injury to Zaire that could see him miss significant time, it'll Wimbush.

- Torii Hunter will play a lot this year. He'll battle Amir Carlisle for the starting job in the slot, but he'll also give Will Fuller a blow several times every game and get split out wide. Notre Dame will play a core nucleus of 5 wide receivers, with Corey Holmes being next up after Justin Brent's move to running back.

- The #2 tight end spot will be a product of formation. If we're in a single tight end set and Smythe comes out, Aliz'e Jones will be the next man in. When we go to 2 TE sets and are looking to bring in a blocking TE it will be Tyler Luatua.

- Alex Bars will essentially be the "next man in" at both tackle spots and left guard. He's inevitably going to kick out to tackle to replace Ronnie Stanley anyways (once Ronnie heads to the NFL) and Hiestand will begin that transition now. He's the #6 OL, Montellus is #7 if there is an injury to a guard and Bivin is #7 if there is an injury to a tackle. Mustipher is #7 if there is an injury to Martin at Center.

Accurate . I do think that Brent may begin the cross training process at RB/ slot.. But I do think that Brent can be a physical WR. Procise IMO should be the starting slot. If he is the most explosive weapon on Offense as Denbrock has mentioned then he should stay at the slot. BK said today that Folston is one of the best backs in the country. When I coached HS football it was important to me to put the best "11" always on the field together . These are IMO the top 5 offensive weapons ND can put on the field at the same time.
WR Fuller and Brent
Slot Procise
TE Smythe
QB MZ and RB Folston

Their is depth at WR in Brown , Robinson, and others. ND needs for Dex Williams to step up at RB.

Defense

SDE: Isaac Rochell (JR): 6'4, 287lbs
2. Sheldon Day (SR): 6'2, 285lbs

DT: Sheldon Day (SR): 6'2, 285lbs
2. Jay Hayes (JR): 6'3, 285lbs or Jacob Matuska (JR): 6'5, 295lbs

NG: Jarron Jones (SR): 6'6, 315lbs
2. Jerry Tillery (FR): 6'7, 305lbs or Jacob Matuska (JR) 6'5, 295lbs

WDE: Romeo Okwara (SR): 6'4, 270lbs
2. Andrew Trumbetti (SOPH): 6'4, 260lbs

SAM: Jaylon Smith (JR): 6'2, 240lbs
2. James Onwualu (JR): 6'1, 232lbs

MIKE: Jarrett Grace (SR): 6'3, 255lbs
2. Joe Schmidt (SR): 6'1, 235lbs

WILL: Joe Schmidt (SR): 6'1, 235lbs
2. Jaylon Smith (JR): 6'2, 240lbs

Nickel: Matthias Farley (SR): 5'11, 210lbs or Nick Watkins (SOPH): 6'0, 200lbs

CB: Kei Russell (SR): 5'11, 196lbs
2. Nick Watkins (SOPH): 6'0, 200lbs

FS: Max Redfield (JR): 6'1, 205lbs
2. Avery Sebastien (SR): 5'10, 200lbs

SS: Elijah Shumate (SR): 6'0, 224lbs
Matthias Farley (SR): 5'11, 210lbs

CB: Cole Luke (JR): 5'11, 193lbs
2. Devin Butler (JR): 6'1, 200lbs

Notes

- There is good depth along the DL, especially on the interior. You'll notice Daniel Cage didn't even make my depth chart. ND will rotate a lot on the inside, which will allow them to slide Sheldon Day outside to come off the same edge as Jaylon Smith at times. They'll invert Day and Rochell at times as well. Rochell is more than capable of playing inside. Jacob Matuska is the one guy that gets little fan fare, that will play a lot more meaningful minutes than one may think. He's basically Kona Schwenke in that he's a hard-nosed, ox of a kid that can play either interior position. Reminds you of those kids from Stanford.

- I truly believe you'll see Jaylon play a lot of SAM backer this year and rush the passer a whole lot. I have beyond high expectations for Smith this year. Jones when he was at Georgia type expectations. He'll almost always be the best athlete on the field and ND needs to exploit that. ND has 4 linebackers they love, for 3 positions. They'll rotate around a lot as long as Grace is healthy. The #5 linebacker is also going to be a damn good one in Nyles Morgan and he'd be the 3rd guy in at Mike or Will, with Greer Martini at #6 and the 3rd guys in at Sam. I think you'll also see Te'von Coney play as the #7 backer, with his position yet to be determined. Expect Barajas and Bilal to redshirt... Damn linerbacker is loaded. Even in 2016 the Irish will return Onwualu, Morgan, Martini, Coney, Barajas and Bilal.

- Nickel is an either/or situation depending on whether we need a "big nickel" or a "small nickel". It'll be Farley if we need a big nickel and my guess is Watkins if we need a small nickel, depending on the offense that needs to be defended on a given play. My next "big nickel" in is Drue Tranquill and watch for Shawn Crawford, the talented freshman to get into the mix as the #2 small nickel. With Luke and Russell both likely off to the NFL next year, Watkins and Butler are going to need some backups, which mean they need to burn the redshirt on at least one freshman and get him some experience.

- In the secondary, the starters are pretty clear cut, but I think you'll see Watkins gets plenty of reps as well as Avery Sebastien, the Cal transfer, who could be the #3 safety regardless of who comes out, but will have to battle Farley and Tranquill for that spot.

- I think you'll find that in a year that the defense has a chance to be damn good, ND won't try to plug too many young players into the rotation, instead they'll use their experience and flexibility, especially in the front 7, to keep their best players on the field and hopefully have a chance to develop depth late in games with a couple comfortable leads.

Defense

SDE: Isaac Rochell (JR): 6'4, 287lbs
2. Sheldon Day (SR): 6'2, 285lbs

DT: Sheldon Day (SR): 6'2, 285lbs
2. Jay Hayes (JR): 6'3, 285lbs or Jacob Matuska (JR): 6'5, 295lbs

NG: Jarron Jones (SR): 6'6, 315lbs
2. Jerry Tillery (FR): 6'7, 305lbs or Jacob Matuska (JR) 6'5, 295lbs

WDE: Romeo Okwara (SR): 6'4, 270lbs
2. Andrew Trumbetti (SOPH): 6'4, 260lbs

SAM: Jaylon Smith (JR): 6'2, 240lbs
2. James Onwualu (JR): 6'1, 232lbs

MIKE: Jarrett Grace (SR): 6'3, 255lbs
2. Joe Schmidt (SR): 6'1, 235lbs

WILL: Joe Schmidt (SR): 6'1, 235lbs
2. Jaylon Smith (JR): 6'2, 240lbs

Nickel: Matthias Farley (SR): 5'11, 210lbs or Nick Watkins (SOPH): 6'0, 200lbs

CB: Kei Russell (SR): 5'11, 196lbs
2. Nick Watkins (SOPH): 6'0, 200lbs

FS: Max Redfield (JR): 6'1, 205lbs
2. Avery Sebastien (SR): 5'10, 200lbs

SS: Elijah Shumate (SR): 6'0, 224lbs
Matthias Farley (SR): 5'11, 210lbs

CB: Cole Luke (JR): 5'11, 193lbs
2. Devin Butler (JR): 6'1, 200lbs

Notes

- There is good depth along the DL, especially on the interior. You'll notice Daniel Cage didn't even make my depth chart. ND will rotate a lot on the inside, which will allow them to slide Sheldon Day outside to come off the same edge as Jaylon Smith at times. They'll invert Day and Rochell at times as well. Rochell is more than capable of playing inside. Jacob Matuska is the one guy that gets little fan fare, that will play a lot more meaningful minutes than one may think. He's basically Kona Schwenke in that he's a hard-nosed, ox of a kid that can play either interior position. Reminds you of those kids from Stanford.

- I truly believe you'll see Jaylon play a lot of SAM backer this year and rush the passer a whole lot. I have beyond high expectations for Smith this year. Jones when he was at Georgia type expectations. He'll almost always be the best athlete on the field and ND needs to exploit that. ND has 4 linebackers they love, for 3 positions. They'll rotate around a lot as long as Grace is healthy. The #5 linebacker is also going to be a damn good one in Nyles Morgan and he'd be the 3rd guy in at Mike or Will, with Greer Martini at #6 and the 3rd guys in at Sam. I think you'll also see Te'von Coney play as the #7 backer, with his position yet to be determined. Expect Barajas and Bilal to redshirt... Damn linerbacker is loaded. Even in 2016 the Irish will return Onwualu, Morgan, Martini, Coney, Barajas and Bilal.

- Nickel is an either/or situation depending on whether we need a "big nickel" or a "small nickel". It'll be Farley if we need a big nickel and my guess is Watkins if we need a small nickel, depending on the offense that needs to be defended on a given play. My next "big nickel" in is Drue Tranquill and watch for Shawn Crawford, the talented freshman to get into the mix as the #2 small nickel. With Luke and Russell both likely off to the NFL next year, Watkins and Butler are going to need some backups, which mean they need to burn the redshirt on at least one freshman and get him some experience.

- In the secondary, the starters are pretty clear cut, but I think you'll see Watkins gets plenty of reps as well as Avery Sebastien, the Cal transfer, who could be the #3 safety regardless of who comes out, but will have to battle Farley and Tranquill for that spot.

- I think you'll find that in a year that the defense has a chance to be damn good, ND won't try to plug too many young players into the rotation, instead they'll use their experience and flexibility, especially in the front 7, to keep their best players on the field and hopefully have a chance to develop depth late in games with a couple comfortable leads.

Mike will be Morgan not Grace. Grace will spell and be situation

One of the reasons that I tend disagree is that Brian Kelly clearly stated in his press conference yesterday that he intends on having Nyles Morgan is on his running / coverage special teams. I highly doubt he'd make that statement if be intended on starting the kid at MIKE. That would be a lot on a young kid's plate and a significant fatigue and injury risks.

We're going to see multitude of linebacker looks in this NFL style defensive scheme... You'll see a lot of...

SAM: Jaylon Smith
MIKE: Jarrett Grace or Nyles Morgan
WILL: Joe Schmidt

SAM: James Onwualu
MIKE: Joe Schmidt
WILL: Jaylon Smith

MIKE: Joe Schmidt
WILL: Jaylon Smith
Nickel: Matthias Farley or Nick Watkins

Reactions: Bodizephax
I don't know how high he will be on the depth chart but Doug Randolph is finally healed and looked good in the spring playing against our starting Oline according to a knowledgable poster from another site. He will be playing defensive end. According to the poster Randolph had a undiagnosed torn labrum when he first came to ND and that stunted his development. He is now healed and has put on good weight and looks beastly.

It is nice to see you posting IIO. You make for good reading. Thanks.

I have been hearing a lot about Jerry Tillery standing out among all the dlineman. Could this be true ? It would be nice to see an impact true frosh dlineman. Last time we had that was Aaron Lynch. I know Tillery and Lynch are completely different but it would be awesome if Tillery could get to the QB on occasion.

Figured I'd take a swing at the depth chart and what it will look like... I'll start with the offense.

Notes

- While I think Deshone Kizer is a great kid to have in the system, it's my belief that Brandon Wimbush is the future (after Zaire). They would like to redshirt Wimbush and create separation, so what this comes down to is why a quarterback not name Zaire happens to be coming into the game. If it's for mop up duty, or because Zaire gets banged up a bit, it will be Kizer in the short term. If it's a serious injury to Zaire that could see him miss significant time, it'll Wimbush.

- Torii Hunter will play a lot this year. He'll battle Amir Carlisle for the starting job in the slot, but he'll also give Will Fuller a blow several times every game and get split out wide. Notre Dame will play a core nucleus of 5 wide receivers, with Corey Holmes being next up after Justin Brent's move to running back.

- The #2 tight end spot will be a product of formation. If we're in a single tight end set and Smythe comes out, Aliz'e Jones will be the next man in. When we go to 2 TE sets and are looking to bring in a blocking TE it will be Tyler Luatua.

- Alex Bars will essentially be the "next man in" at both tackle spots and left guard. He's inevitably going to kick out to tackle to replace Ronnie Stanley anyways (once Ronnie heads to the NFL) and Hiestand will begin that transition now. He's the #6 OL, Montellus is #7 if there is an injury to a guard and Bivin is #7 if there is an injury to a tackle. Mustipher is #7 if there is an injury to Martin at Center.

Kizer will be ahead of Wimbush to start the season; he had a tough spring, but he has the poise and leadership characteristics to go with athleticism.
@ TE:Jones will be the starter at some point. With MZ the threat downfield will be more effective as DB and LB'rs have to respect his ability to run and extend plays so there will be less need to always rely on the blocking TE. AJ will prove to be the superior receiver in the group.

Notes

IIO, What do you think about a formation with Fuller and Brown outside, Robinson in the slot, and then either Smythe or Alize at TE, with the potential to Flex out? I think that would cause some very tough matchups for opposing defenses and would have a great blend of size/speed. Running a zone read look out of that, hitting a quick screen to Fuller or Brown, faking a screen and hitting Jones/Smythe up the seam, play action deep to Brown/Fuller. I would love the versatility of that look.

@IrishInOntario

Was talking to a couple of guys yesterday. When you mention nickel and having to rotate out with it. What do you think is the possibility on the 'small nickel' of having either freshman Crawford or Coleman in those positions this year?

Why isn't anyone mentioning Nic Weishar? I remember he was a top prospect a few years back.

re NW: Jones is a better receiving threat already.

I have to change my thinking on Wimbush; I was high on this kid but figured Kizer gets the edge a/c program knowledge, but now it ain't just Kizer that should be watching out; MZ should not take things for granted. Wim is ubber talented. And he is a quick study!
The deep ball may be back at ND.

IIO.....always great to read your posts! Agree with all......but as we all know injuries etc will force others to be NEXT MAN IN! IMO the 2015 Irish will follow the success of #1--Malik; and #2--a resurgent defense.

There is simply too much talent & leadership on our defense to only be average. And unlike 2014 depth is there too.

Reactions: Bodizephax
the defense needs 4 or 5 stops per game/ on (10 possessions) to give ND a win opportunity. A Stop is either a take away or forced punt or t/o on downs. That may not seem like much but this defense has a lot to prove. I think the offense can overcome that kind of game.

IIO -

The defense last yr was a team strength before the injuries . Look at the rushing stats against ND before Schmidt went down -ie held Stanford to 47 yds rushing . There are 10 guys on this defense that will play on Sundays . This is a very good maybe great defense now . Listening to Kelly talk he knows he has all the pieces now it's just a matter of executing as a team to match execution to talent level which is pretty high.

Some players on D have been injury prone. Kelly and Van Gorder need to rest some of the stars against weak teams like UMass, Wake Forest and Temple. There is no need to blow these teams out. Just get up by 3 touchdowns and put the 2nd team in. Navy unfortunately always accounts for 1 or 2 serious injuries. I would make sure I rotate players on D to keep everyone fresh and alert especially with USC coming to town a week later.

The Oline and Dline are the keys to this team. It starts up front. With MZ the running game will be a focal point and the WR's pose a great threat to keep teams from loading the box. This offense should run much better which leads to more ball control and time of possession. That's a major factor on the road.
The DL needs to stay health and win the battle up front every week. Day , Jones and Rochelle and very good. IT can be a strong unit. Have stop the run . late in the season the run Defense was a disaster. Cannot happen again. I see improvement up front ON PAPER now it has to transfer to the field. Thats' coaching.

The defense last yr was a team strength before the injuries . Look at the rushing stats against ND before Schmidt went down

I would also argue look at the average opponent leading up to the BYE. Stanford had no rushing game last year, and neither did Purdue. The biggest runners vs ND last year were teams with mobile QB's. Syracuse, UNC, and FSU. Rice tried but they were hurt more by having no line, and ND having the whole off season to prepare for them than anything.
Rice, Michigan, Purdue, Syracuse, Stanford, UNC, Florida St.
Rushing wise the stats were:
Rice 40 attempts 140 yards 3.5 average
Michigan 35 attempts 100 yards 2.9 average
Purude 26 attempts 56 yards 2.2 average (really helped the rank for the Irish here)
Syracuse 41 attempts for 161 yards 3.9 average
Stanford 32 attempts for 47 yards 1.5 yards average (also really helped the Irish here)
UNC 42 attempts for 190 yards 4.5 yards average
FSU 35 attempts for 157 yards 4.5 average

Navy 39 attempts 218 yards 5.6 average

Ironically, Navy had more passing yards and almost as many attempts as rushing vs the Irish.
18-25 315 yards and 1 INT. Which is a bit different for them.

I would also argue look at the average opponent leading up to the BYE. Stanford had no rushing game last year, and neither did Purdue. The biggest runners vs ND last year were teams with mobile QB's. Syracuse, UNC, and FSU. Rice tried but they were hurt more by having no line, and ND having the whole off season to prepare for them than anything.
Rice, Michigan, Purdue, Syracuse, Stanford, UNC, Florida St.
Rushing wise the stats were:
Rice 40 attempts 140 yards 3.5 average
Michigan 35 attempts 100 yards 2.9 average
Purude 26 attempts 56 yards 2.2 average (really helped the rank for the Irish here)
Syracuse 41 attempts for 161 yards 3.9 average
Stanford 32 attempts for 47 yards 1.5 yards average (also really helped the Irish here)
UNC 42 attempts for 190 yards 4.5 yards average
FSU 35 attempts for 157 yards 4.5 average

Navy 39 attempts 218 yards 5.6 average

Ironically, Navy had more passing yards and almost as many attempts as rushing vs the Irish.
18-25 315 yards and 1 INT. Which is a bit different for them.
I am confused a little. FSU really struggled to get a yard against the ND run defense. Some of the stats you posted are for ND run game and others are for the opponents. Can you clear that up a little?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT