ADVERTISEMENT

Zaire Questions from a Texas Fan

Austin Ex

Go Irish
Dec 6, 2004
Hey guys, I posted a few times at the beginning of last season and had some great exchanges about our upcoming game. So thanks very much for the hospitality. Now I have a new reason to pay you a return visit, and that is the possible transfer of Malik Zaire to Texas. So I wanted to bounce a few thoughts and questions off the board.

My personal opinion is that Zaire would not beat out Buechele in Fall camp. He's certainly an electrifying runner. But I haven't seen enough out of him in the passing game to think he'd be able to take advantage of our team's strength this year, which is a deep and talented receiving corp. Of course Tom Herman may feel differently, but what do you think of Zaire as a passer and effective distributor of the ball?

Also, the comments on social media his Dad put out last year are troubling. Do you think there'd be any issues like that, or in the locker room, if Zaire ended up as the backup?

Thanks for any insight

Hey guys, I posted a few times at the beginning of last season and had some great exchanges about our upcoming game. So thanks very much for the hospitality. Now I have a new reason to pay you a return visit, and that is the possible transfer of Malik Zaire to Texas. So I wanted to bounce a few thoughts and questions off the board.

My personal opinion is that Zaire would not beat out Buechele in Fall camp. He's certainly an electrifying runner. But I haven't seen enough out of him in the passing game to think he'd be able to take advantage of our team's strength this year, which is a deep and talented receiving corp. Of course Tom Herman may feel differently, but what do you think of Zaire as a passer and effective distributor of the ball?

Also, the comments on social media his Dad put out last year are troubling. Do you think there'd be any issues like that, or in the locker room, if Zaire ended up as the backup?

Thanks for any insight

Firstly. I do recall your visit prior to the UT game last season. Thanks for your fair and objective insights prior to that game.
As for MZ and Sr., both good characters. I had an exchange with Sr. just following MZ's committment and while initially contentious , it became an informative and cordial exchange of idea and opinion.
MZ can pass well enough, and he can run the football well enough, what he excels at is leadership.

But, with a young and upcoming QB, I am not a fan of bringing in a 5th Yr Sr. who envisions being a starter.

Firstly. I do recall your visit prior to the UT game last season. Thanks for your fair and objective insights prior to that game.
As for MZ and Sr., both good characters. I had an exchange with Sr. just following MZ's committment and while initially contentious , it became an informative and cordial exchange of idea and opinion.
MZ can pass well enough, and he can run the football well enough, what he excels at is leadership.

But, with a young and upcoming QB, I am not a fan of bringing in a 5th Yr Sr. who envisions being a starter.
Thanks a lot for the feedback. That's really good to know about them being good people. We have very little QB depth right now, with Buechele and a true freshman as the only two scholarship QBs we have. So it would be nice to have more competition, and the depth to allow a red shirt for the freshman Ehlinger.

Zaire would be best suited going to a MAC school. He can't afford to sit the bench and that's exactly what would take place if he went to Wisconsin, Florida or Texas.

A lot like Wimbush, he just needs to plaaaaaayyyyyy and get reps out there. WMU would be a great spot.

As a Texas fan, you're probably already aware of his best body of work with the passing game (Texas - 2015).

While Perse (above) is almost always wrong about everything, he's right about Zaire's leadership. Kid's a class act. He'll bring positive energy and competitiveness wherever he lands. But he won't show up conceding that he'll be a back up.

As a Texas fan, you're probably already aware of his best body of work with the passing game (Texas - 2015).

While Perse (above) is almost always wrong about everything, he's right about Zaire's leadership. Kid's a class act. He'll bring positive energy and competitiveness wherever he lands. But he won't show up conceding that he'll be a back up.

He will be a leader if he is the starter...if he is a backup, he will be a distraction and unhappy. Better off going somewhere that he can almost definitely start.

Name 1 time you were right and I was incorrect?

What we know is you guys that worship Kelly are always best at boasting in the 'off season'.

When it comes to ND football, I been pretty flawless in evaluations. that is why you make stuff up. Your just pissed off, Over a history of being wrong.

Reactions: TOMMY_23
Hey Austin, I remember your visiting here last year, and enjoyed the civil back and forth. Zaire is a class act and showed tremendous leadership the three games he started. The LSU Bowl game followed by the Texas game showed his passing ability. Yes, he can distribute the ball, but his ability to extend plays contributes to this. Frankly, none of us knows if he has regained his quickness and speed from the injury, and that goes directly to his ability to extend plays and to be a threat to run; which are critical to his success. Frankly, he needs to start and I see no circumstance where he accepts doing hand signals on the sidelines for 12 games.

What we know is you guys that worship Kelly are always best at boasting in the 'off season'.

When it comes to ND football, I been pretty flawless in evaluations.

Edited to avoid feeding the hijacking of the thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelso86
I think Zaire showed tremendous potential against Texas 2015 and came back to earth a bit against Virginia. Obviously was injured for the season and never regained the starting job. I think he could start at a lot of places.

Is Buechele just a freshman? I would think UT would want him to grow into the roll as starting QB.

He pouted most of last season. It was a hard pill to swallow for him but wouldn't call him a leader.

When it comes to ND football, I been pretty flawless in evaluations. that is why you make stuff up. Your just pissed off, Over a history of being wrong.
"Flawless" ? Not that's funny. Not sure if you even know if a football is stuffed or inflated.

I vaguely recall that game, yes. :) But I can't bring myself to watch it again.

I like these comments about his character.

echo might be lhe most incorrect poster on this forum.
And

still waiting...for that list from JD

enjoy this off...

Perse,

As this thread was started by a "rival" poster that came here in class asking a legit question, I'm intentionally ignoring your invitation to address your ego by further pissing on his thread. Truth is the questions asked merit on topic posts, even if people disagree with us about Zaire's leadership qualities.

I realize I riled you up because I poked fun at you. IMO, it seems like you're overreacting a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Austin Ex
To hijack the thread just a bit, it would be great if ND and Texas played more often. You guys have very cool fans. You went out of your way to make visitors feel welcome.

The OP and I had great conversations last season. While it may have been uneventful to him, I found it memorable for it's insights. It was a predictor of the season.

Zaire would be the best QB on the roster today if he was here .... I don't know what the deal is with his dad today .... what I do know is that I would be pissed if I was his dad .... if you watched the behind the scenes show following ND football when he was the starter ... that game he was hurt .... the cameras were right there after the game when he suffered his season ending injury ... and BK is right there talking to his parents telling them ..... no worries .... the QB job is Zaire's when he comes back .... and then all it took was one spring game ... which all the Clowns around here keep saying is just one practice .... to say Kizer is the starter ... goodbye Zaire .... BK BS

Whoever gets Zaire will have a better QB then ND .... and will be lucky to have him .... calling him a natural leader is well ..... accurate

Zaire would be the best QB on the roster today if he was here .... I don't know what the deal is with his dad today .... what I do know is that I would be pissed if I was his dad .... if you watched the behind the scenes show following ND football when he was the starter ... that game he was hurt .... the cameras were right there after the game when he suffered his season ending injury ... and BK is right there talking to his parents telling them ..... no worries .... the QB job is Zaire's when he comes back .... and then all it took was one spring game ... which all the Clowns around here keep saying is just one practice .... to say Kizer is the starter ... goodbye Zaire .... BK BS

Whoever gets Zaire will have a better QB then ND .... and will be lucky to have him .... calling him a natural leader is well ..... accurate
Wrong again clueless one. Wimbush has more talent than Zaire.
Leaders don't pout on the sidelines.

Hey Austin, I remember your visiting here last year, and enjoyed the civil back and forth. Zaire is a class act and showed tremendous leadership the three games he started. The LSU Bowl game followed by the Texas game showed his passing ability. Yes, he can distribute the ball, but his ability to extend plays contributes to this. Frankly, none of us knows if he has regained his quickness and speed from the injury, and that goes directly to his ability to extend plays and to be a threat to run; which are critical to his success. Frankly, he needs to start and I see no circumstance where he accepts doing hand signals on the sidelines for 12 games.
Thanks Telx1, and it looks like the predominant sentiment here is that he needs to start. I'm taking that to mean he wouldn't accept a backup role sitting down. No pun intended.

Is Buechele just a freshman? I would think UT would want him to grow into the roll as starting QB.
A red shirt for Buechele wouldn't be the end of the world. One thing is that he's not a big kid and could use another year in the weight program. Regardless, I don't see him losing out to any transfer. I think he's got IT.

Edit: And he's a sophomore

Last edited:
Austin
Strong did clean house and started to get Texas recruiting on track. Herman is recruiting very well so far.
How patient will UT fans be? Is Herman in a win NOW situation?

What is your assessment of the team in '17?

Austin
Strong did clean house and started to get Texas recruiting on track. Herman is recruiting very well so far.
How patient will UT fans be? Is Herman in a win NOW situation?

What is your assessment of the team in '17?
Texas fans will be impatient, but that's because they know what Herman can do. Also, Coach Herman hasn't shied away from high expectations. I think this is a similar situation to Stoops taking over a very talented Oklahoma team left by John Blake in 2000 and winning a national championship. While I don't think we'll win a NC next year, I think we can win the conference.

I've never seen a coach like Tom Herman, up close and coaching the team i root for. Every detail is covered in recruiting, practice, throughout the facility, daily hydration checks, cutting edge and youthful social media strategy, his relationship with the press, and so on and so forth. Nothing but excellence is accepted and everything fits into his overall master plan for the program. And we already know he's an Xs and Os whiz. As you can tell I'm really excited, as are the rest of our fans. Even 7 years of false off-season hope and dashed expectations haven't prevented the kool aid from flowing this time around.

To summarize, Herman is the right coach at the right time for Texas. Strong loaded this team with talent, and Herman's process will have them believing they are champions.

Last edited:
Well,
Texas fans will be impatient, but that's because they know what Herman can do. Also, Coach Herman hasn't shied away from high expectations. I think this is a similar situation to Stoops taking over a very talented Oklahoma team left by John Blake in 2000 and winning a national championship. While I don't think we'll win a NC next year, I think we can win the conference.

I've never seen a coach like Tom Herman, up close and coaching the team i root for. Every detail is covered in recruiting, practice, throughout the facility, daily hydration checks, cutting edge and youthful social media strategy, his relationship with the press, and so on and so forth. Nothing but excellence is accepted and everything fits into his overall master plan for the program. And we already know he's an Xs and Os whiz. As you can tell I'm really excited, as are the rest of our fans. Even 7 years of false off-season hope and dashed expectations haven't prevented the kool aid from flowing this time around.

To summarize, Herman is the right coach at the right time for Texas. Strong loaded this team with talent, and Herman's process will have them believing they are champions.
Well, big ND fan, but there are a few other teams in the country that I like to follow and that college football benefits from when they have winning programs, and Texas is one of these. Nothing is as exciting to me as ND and USC when both are top ten programs, but Oklahoma and Texas is right up there, and hope this year marks the return of Texas to a top ten perch, along with a conference championship. My impression of Buechele is that he throws a great long ball, but needs to improve his accuracy with short and mid range passes; and I fully expect he has been working hard on this. He does have the IT factor and the players respond to him, and I just don't see where Texas makes any sense for Zaire. Good luck on a great season, and nothing would be more exciting than to see ND and Texas get together in a major Bowl, unless it was a playoff bowl game. Either would be special and great for college football. Hook em!

the mean girls have their best times in the off season.
They hate being proven wrong all the time.

They rarely talk football, know nothing about national recruiting, they seem to live in a box, being oblivious to anything outside there own opinions.

A sad lot they are.

They rarely talk football, know nothing about national recruiting, they seem to live in a box, being oblivious to anything outside there own opinions.

A sad lot they are.
They have set aside this special time to humiliate themselves in public.

A sad lot they are.
You should start your own message board and take some of your other hater friends with you. Then you & your friends can be happy being miserable.

Reactions: Pennick44

A sad lot they are.
Let's talk football ye of the 27k uninformed posts. Would love to take you to the woodshed yet again.

better yet: you stop addressing me or posting personal attacks and I will likewise ignore you.

Are you aware I never address you except in reply? You instigateand incite all exchanges. If you disagree with a post then address the post with content so it can be sgreed with or disagreed with in an appropriate way.
echo is a hip shooter; nothing more. just don't give him place.

You don't just respond nastily to most posts you do it as a habit/style. It is always some personal attack or character comment included in rep,y to a poster when they post something you are not 'fond' of.

We can both agree we don't think the other is 'expert'; and having your endorsement is nothing I seek nor value. You likewise I am sure. So ignore me and I can ignore you!

Reactions: Buguit
better yet: you stop addressing me or posting personal attacks and I will likewise ignore you.

Are you aware I never address you except in reply? You instigateand incite all exchanges. If you disagree with a post then address the post with content so it can be sgreed with or disagreed with in an appropriate way.
echo is a hip shooter; nothing more. just don't give him place.

You don't just respond nastily to most posts you do it as a habit/style. It is always some personal attack or character comment included in rep,y to a poster when they post something you are not 'fond' of.

We can both agree we don't think the other is 'expert'; and having your endorsement is nothing I seek nor value. You likewise I am sure. So ignore me and I can ignore you!
Based solely on my football experiences both as a player at the highest level of division 1 and a long time tenure of coaching at the high school level of division 1 in Ohio I am confident that your football knowledge is limited at best . I have come to this opinion after reading your many posts.

we share the same opinion as to the others expertise. I give a R-A about your resume.
What I read here is your knowledge is 'meh' at best.
Why continue ? Like I said your style is narcissistic.

Reactions: Buguit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT