ADVERTISEMENT

Zaire at Oregon, 'excellent passer'

IrishBlooded

All Star
Oct 2, 2009
LINK

Notre Dame quarterback Malik Zaire is back at the Elite 11 camp, this time as a counselor.

The former four-star prospect was slinging the ball around during camp Monday, and former Super Bowl champion quarterback Trent Dilfer--the head coach at the camp--has noticed a vast improvement since Zaire attended the camp as a high schooler.

"He’s so much more advanced as a passer," Dilfer told Scout.com. "Not that he wasn’t before, but I remember getting him from high school, and everybody was saying he’s just a runner who can throw a little bit. And anyone who’s still saying that, I think it’s crazy. I think Malik has the curse like a lot of college quarterbacks these days that they’re so dynamic as runners that they get devalued as passers. But I think Malik is an exceptional passer."

The next step for the Irish's starting quarterback is to learn to read defenses and look for his second and third option on a play. The only way to improve in that area is through tossing the ball as much as possible and gaining experience.

"He needs passing reps," Dilfer added. "He needs to be forced into taking progressions. Where that translates into Brian Kelly and coach (Mike) Sanford’s offense is third down and red zone. I think where you really need to watch his growth this year, simply because he doesn’t enough of it, is third down, third and medium plus, goal to go situations because they are going to take him away as a runner, and he’s going to have take one, two, three and he’s going to have to work through progressions. I have all the confidence in the world he can do it, but I’m sure there will be a learning curve associated with it."

He was also named to the Maxwell Watch List for this year for best QB in the land. (Although that is of course part of the preseason hype)

I actually like seeing that legal hit on Michigan's qb as it reminds me of the awesome hit frank stams put on Rodney pete back in the 88 game vs usc

Reactions: end_23
Still don't understand how that is illegal when the hit on Trumbetti in the first quarter that put him out was not.....The QB turned into the returners side of the field to make a play on the runner....It was an incorrect call. I know you cannot target the QB, but he was on the runners side and made a turn towards the play. Plus, its Michigan so I could watch that all day, 24x7.....would be better if there were more of them in my book. Did he play the chicken dance in his head after that?

Would you prefer the Tuitt targeting call at the PITT game?

I mean, the zebras never get a call wrong, right?

Reactions: end_23
your right ftnfan62 about it not being an illegal hit on the Michigan qb. when a qb is running toward the player that picked off his pass then he can be hit because he's trying to help on stopping the def back

The only reason it was called back was because they were big ten refs. They wanted to stick it to ND one last time. We all know it was 38-0.

To me it was a mercy call. They knew Michigan was out of the game. And were trying to keep the ND players from getting out of hand and making even worse plays.

At the end of the day. It is still a great hit.

LINK

Notre Dame quarterback Malik Zaire is back at the Elite 11 camp, this time as a counselor.

The former four-star prospect was slinging the ball around during camp Monday, and former Super Bowl champion quarterback Trent Dilfer--the head coach at the camp--has noticed a vast improvement since Zaire attended the camp as a high schooler.

"He’s so much more advanced as a passer," Dilfer told Scout.com. "Not that he wasn’t before, but I remember getting him from high school, and everybody was saying he’s just a runner who can throw a little bit. And anyone who’s still saying that, I think it’s crazy. I think Malik has the curse like a lot of college quarterbacks these days that they’re so dynamic as runners that they get devalued as passers. But I think Malik is an exceptional passer."

The next step for the Irish's starting quarterback is to learn to read defenses and look for his second and third option on a play. The only way to improve in that area is through tossing the ball as much as possible and gaining experience.

"He needs passing reps," Dilfer added. "He needs to be forced into taking progressions. Where that translates into Brian Kelly and coach (Mike) Sanford’s offense is third down and red zone. I think where you really need to watch his growth this year, simply because he doesn’t enough of it, is third down, third and medium plus, goal to go situations because they are going to take him away as a runner, and he’s going to have take one, two, three and he’s going to have to work through progressions. I have all the confidence in the world he can do it, but I’m sure there will be a learning curve associated with it."

He definitely throws a nice ball. Good zip on it. Bonus points for being a lefty.

Reactions: IrishBlooded
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT