ADVERTISEMENT

Zaire and contribution

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
Don't laugh at this...or at the least think about this.

Zaire needs to be utilized. He's too talented for sideline time. It just can't be at QB.

I would move him to safety. He can use his offensive knowledge keying in certain things as a qb would but in reverse...

He's not afraid of contact. Not afraid of that head ache or getting his nose dirty. He's athletic.

If he put his heart into it I can see him becoming a very hard hitting safety offering tremendous run support....which happens to be a huge weak area for our defense.

Before you all go and say that will never happen because he wouldn't want to...that's not the point. The transition can happen and given his talent and hard head..it should happen.

If not there a slot receiver would be second choice. Either way he's too good to do nothing. He's not NFL QB material but could he play on Sunday at another position..?? Maybe.

Reactions: Jtrader
I don't know Zaire can play another position, but if he can sucessfull help us at another position, I would like to see the move.
Kizer should start and play the whole game. In games , if we ever have one, where we lead and have thewin locked up, then I would like to see a younger qb get some reps.

I think Zaire stays if he knows that Kizer is going to go to the NFL after this season. That is a strong possibility because this is year 3 for him. Where would Zaire go now ? He is not leaving these teammates and next year the offense will be loaded with skill and experience. No reason for Malik to leave, pout, etc. Why change his position? he should still get a few series this week ( hoping Blowout) and during the season he very well knows that he is one play away from going back in. He didnt stink out the joint but the offense is better with Kizer who is 8-4 as a starter BTW. Not his fault though.

I think Zaire stays if he knows that Kizer is going to go to the NFL after this season. That is a strong possibility because this is year 3 for him. Where would Zaire go now ? He is not leaving these teammates and next year the offense will be loaded with skill and experience. No reason for Malik to leave, pout, etc. Why change his position? he should still get a few series this week ( hoping Blowout) and during the season he very well knows that he is one play away from going back in. He didnt stink out the joint but the offense is better with Kizer who is 8-4 as a starter BTW. Not his fault though.

You know, with Kelly blowouts rarely happen. Why? Because of a porous defense. He'll put up 50+ points on Nevada but probably give up close to 40 too.

Reactions: 88ND
Our offense is just miles better with Kizer. And Wimbush apparently might be better than all of them.

It's a waste having him on the sidelines. We need miraculous help in the secondary or a better coach. Odds are stuck with the paycheck stealing BVG...so let's get him playing center field for us playing like a crazed dog supporting the run too.

Zaire needs to be utilized. He's too talented for sideline time. It just can't be at QB.

I would move him to safety. He can use his offensive knowledge keying in certain things as a qb would but in reverse...

He's not afraid of contact. Not afraid of that head ache or getting his nose dirty. He's athletic.

If he put his heart into it I can see him becoming a very hard hitting safety offering tremendous run support....which happens to be a huge weak area for our defense.

Before you all go and say that will never happen because he wouldn't want to...that's not the point. The transition can happen and given his talent and hard head..it should happen.

If not there a slot receiver would be second choice. Either way he's too good to do nothing. He's not NFL QB material but could he play on Sunday at another position..?? Maybe.

Agree. John Lynch at Stanford was recruited there as a QB. When he did not get the starting job he asked to be moved to Free safety.

Malik Zaire would make a great free safety IMO.

John Lynch went on to be a pro bowler at FS.

We would just need Malik to be a good college free safety.

Not sure that MZ has the skills and mindset to convert to safety at this point in his career and this point in the season. That said, I do think MZ will be a problem just sitting on the bench. He wants to start and believes he should start, and my sense is the only way to get his head into the game and becoming an enthusiastic leader is for him to be on the field in some meaningful capacity.

Agree. John Lynch at Stanford was recruited there as a QB. When he did not get the starting job he asked to be moved to Free safety.

Yes ... and so was ND safety under Ara, Tom Schoen.

Wimbush is the QB of the future

I too would like to see Winbush get playing time this year !

There is a role for MZ in this offense , and, an important role. It's up to our offensive minds on the staff to figure it it out and implement it. That should have been already done this past summer. Whether MZ wants to be a contributing "role" guy remains to be seen. He may want to be "the guy" or nothing. BK has to treat this delicately. MZ is a Domer and needs to be treated with respect.

Zaire at safety would be cool. It's too late for this season though. The most likely scenario that happens, is that he'll be #2 remaining of this year. Graduate, assuming he's on pace. And play his last year of eligibility somewhere else without having to take a year off. I think Utah or Arizona could be a good fit for him. He's probably more talented than all of their QBs. Gets to showcase his skills at a high level of college football and state his case to be an NFL QB.

I think MZ is still a better natural runner than DK. Up to the O staff to get him in better plays........run/pass option should be his best.

BEAT the doggies!!!

Malik WILL NOT change positions! He is a QB and that is his supreme conviction. He just has the mmisfortune to be playing behind a much better QB.
On many teams he starts.

I felt after last season that MZ should be moved to RB this year. He could still get the ball in his hands and throw it on occasion.

the career is not over for MZ at ND. He has 2 years eligibility. Kizer had the advantage from playing for 11 games . That experience was crucial to his performace Saturday night. IF Kizer played every series ND wins the game. IMO he is going to be a high draft pick next year. MZ knows it and will compete with Wimbush in the Spring. If he leaves he is crazy. The talent around him is going to be as good as any team in the country. St> Brown, McKinley etc these are bigtime players .

Instead of MZ at FS / SS why not Claypool. He is 6-5 225 and can run like a gazelle and jump to the moon. We already have a ton of receiver's and lose none after this year. He is 3rd string . IK he is talented on offense but this is a defense that is poorly coached and limited at safety. Tranquill the " leader " of the D was benched at halftime and Avery is just not very good. These coaches cannot see that ??? This is poor evaluation of talent . They have to become more creative with their personnel. They seem to emphasize the offense way more then the defense when it comes to the WR vs DB positions.

Yes ... and so was ND safety under Ara, Tom Schoen.

A lot of "quarterbacks" recruited by both Ara and Devine were moved to other positions. I think they recruited them because usually the best athlete on the high school team is the quarterback and they are typically fairly bright.

I think Joe Restick was a qb as was Ted Burgmeier. Randy Harrison may have been one too.

A lot of "quarterbacks" recruited by both Ara and Devine were moved to other positions. I think they recruited them because usually the best athlete on the high school team is the quarterback and they are typically fairly bright.

I think Joe Restick was a qb as was Ted Burgmeier. Randy Harrison may have been one too.

And Coley O'Brien ... was a QB until his senior season when he was switched to RB. Which brings up the question, since MZ is apparently a better runner ... why not move him to RB where he can run and occasionally throw a pass from the RB position ... create extra problems for the opponent's defense.

Reactions: Irish Grandeur
If DK is named the starter, MZ needs to still be engaged. He is only one play away and he needs to understand that. RB? Can he catch the ball? Can he block? Never going to happen. It's QB or bust. BK needs to handle this matter way better than the way he handled Dayne.

well, QB it is! If you follow this board, and pay attention to the who's who, you would have gotten hints that that is IT.

You need 2 QBs. More than likely, Kizer gets hurt at some point this year. If that happens, we plug in Zaire and move along. Great luxury to have. Unreal insurance policy.

Why mess w him and move him to a position that he has NEVER played??

Malik WILL NOT change positions! He is a QB and that is his supreme conviction. He just has the mmisfortune to be playing behind a much better QB.
On many teams he starts.
So I specifically ask you don't say no because he WON'T want to. That isn't the point. I'd be willing to bet he'd play safety or slot receiver if it meant playing full time.

I can hardly remember my comments let alone comments by other people. All I'm saying is we still need a quality back up QB. And, not every player has the capability to switch positions. There is alot more to RB than scoring on a 98 yard home run ball.

You need 2 QBs. More than likely, Kizer gets hurt at some point this year. If that happens, we plug in Zaire and move along. Great luxury to have. Unreal insurance policy.

Why mess w him and move him to a position that he has NEVER played??
Because should the need arise wimbush is there.
We don't ****ing play or not play people based on "what if " injuries.
Malik is very talented and truth be told our defensive back area is piss poor. I think his qb knowledge could give him some nice things to key on and he seems to enjoy contact.
When Kizer is done or that pesky what if injury happens wimbush is in. Period. Malik becoming a mop up only QB is more embarrassing than switching positions to possibly giving contributions every play on defense.

Zaire at safety would be cool. It's too late for this season though. The most likely scenario that happens, is that he'll be #2 remaining of this year. Graduate, assuming he's on pace. And play his last year of eligibility somewhere else without having to take a year off. I think Utah or Arizona could be a good fit for him. He's probably more talented than all of their QBs. Gets to showcase his skills at a high level of college football and state his case to be an NFL QB.
I disagree with that simply because of this...

#1.. he has a leg up reading the safeties and what they are doing...so he knows or has an idea what they are supposed to do.

#2 ..our defense is rather piss poor. I'm willing to let him train on the job a few games to get him up to speed. They don't support the run now and pass coverage is a joke...so exactly how would his inexperience hurt? He actually knows wtf the safeties should be doing as a QB reading their actions.

#3 there isn't one godforsaken leader on the defense. Not one. No electricity, no energy. They all look like they are in church.
If he could even infuse some life into them that would be a huge bonus. I believe the other 10 guys would respond well with him leading the DB's.

Reactions: IrishBlessings

Scott Frost played safety at Stanford don't forget.
It's a very viable option if Malik would buy in.

Of course it will never happen because BVG is too stupid. We can't even get our beloved players to make a text book tackle let alone expect our coaches to tinker until results are great.

And Coley O'Brien ... was a QB until his senior season when he was switched to RB. Which brings up the question, since MZ is apparently a better runner ... why not move him to RB where he can run and occasionally throw a pass from the RB position ... create extra problems for the opponent's defense.

Saw an interesting segment on Coley O'Brien while idling away hours on You Tube (good way to waste away your life, if you are so inclined!) He said that when it came time to pick a starter between and Hanratty and him, Ara ticked off everything from arm strength to running ability and said they were tied. He claimed Hanratty was chosen because he was a couple of inches taller! Nowadays, if you pick a starter, you can almost count on the guy who finished second transferring out.

He also mentioned that his diabetes was triggered when the team flew down to Oklahoma and the plane was hit by a wind gust while taking off and almost crashed. He said doctors told him the sudden fear triggered the disease.

I don't know Zaire can play another position, but if he can sucessfull help us at another position, I would like to see the move.
Kizer should start and play the whole game. In games , if we ever have one, where we lead and have thewin locked up, then I would like to see a younger qb get some reps.
Zaire and contribution Isn't that what they call an Oxymoron?

I disagree with that simply because of this...

#1.. he has a leg up reading the safeties and what they are doing...so he knows or has an idea what they are supposed to do.

#2 ..our defense is rather piss poor. I'm willing to let him train on the job a few games to get him up to speed. They don't support the run now and pass coverage is a joke...so exactly how would his inexperience hurt? He actually knows wtf the safeties should be doing as a QB reading their actions.

#3 there isn't one godforsaken leader on the defense. Not one. No electricity, no energy. They all look like they are in church.
If he could even infuse some life into them that would be a huge bonus. I believe the other 10 guys would respond well with him leading the DB's.
I don't buy into having played QB, as a leg up for Zaire. You could use that argument with a safety converting to QB. A well coached football player knows what his opponent is trying to do.

I don't deny that the defense is piss poor. But do we really want to take our #2 QB, who is one play away from starting on a defense that is said to be more difficult to learn than Mandrian and takes 3 years to learn?

As for leadership, I don't see how placing Zaire on defense would help with that. He wasn't elected as a captain. And from his sideline demeanor on Sunday, I didn't see leadership or even much support. I saw a guy who was livid that he was not playing, but biting his tongue, which is understandable.

Now I don't mean to say that Zaire couldn't be a good safety. But I can't possibly see a scenario where it's wise to convert him to safety now and expect success.

I was talking about the staff Zaire is just a vessel for the foul stench of coaching smoothee that is Kelly

20 When evening came, Jesus was reclining at the table with the Twelve. 21 And while they were eating, he said, “I tell you the truth, one of you will betray me.” 22 They were very sad and began to say to him one after the other, “Surely not I, Lord?” 23 Jesus replied, “The one who has dipped his hand into the bowl with me will betray me. 24 The Son of Man will go just as it is written about him. But woe to that man who betrays the Son of Man! It would be better for him if he had not been born.” 25 Then Judas, the one who would betray him, said, “Surely not I, Rabbi?” Jesus answered, “Yes, it is you.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT