ADVERTISEMENT

Your pick on who will lead the Irish defense in tackles this year !!

Bodizephax

I've posted how many times?
Feb 24, 2012
Rikers Island (Lifer)
www.gstatic.com
Tevon Coney is my pick !! The best LineBacker on the team !! He reminds me of a young Mike Singletary !!
C86fpdYUQAAV99l.jpg

I like Coney a lot. Why he is behind Martini is puzzling. I hope its not like a few years back when Morgan sat the bench behind the bum Joe Schmitt. Regardless, Morgan will lead the team in tackles.

Reactions: Bodizephax
Ndfi Joe is hardly a bum! Poor choice of words. Should he have been a starter? No of course not, same as Rees, or Calabrese hell even D. Fox imo. Yet i take more issue with the staff as they are the ones who field the team.
Regardless of talent Kelly and his former staff recruited, and or were handed said players. Hardly a players fault for overachieving. Jmo.

Ndfi Joe is hardly a bum! Poor choice of words. Should he have been a starter? No of course not, same as Rees, or Calabrese hell even D. Fox imo. Yet i take more issue with the staff as they are the ones who field the team.
Regardless of talent Kelly and his former staff recruited, and or were handed said players. Hardly a players fault for overachieving. Jmo.
I meant bum in the sense that he had no business starting inside LB at ND. And you are right it was the coaches fault for playing him to begin with. You left one player out.....Cam McDaniel.

Cam McDaniel was a solid player, not sure why his name was mentioned. And Danny fox was a very good lb for ND. Of all the players that have played under Kelly, those two should not be mentioned as less than good players. As for who will lead the team in tackles? In the past, I've been critical of Morgan's play. He seems to lack instinct, imo. Watch every game and key in on Morgan, and he was out of the play way too often for a ILB/MLB. W/ that said, that position will get funneled a lot of tackles. He will probably lead the team but up until now, he's been a disappointment, imho. Last year I thought the light would turn on but aside from a couple games, I thought he was very average. I'm hoping his senior year he puts it all together and based on the s&c that transformed his body somewhat, that's a good possibility.

Cam McDaniel was a solid player, not sure why his name was mentioned. And Danny fox was a very good lb for ND. Of all the players that have played under Kelly, those two should not be mentioned as less than good players. As for who will lead the team in tackles? In the past, I've been critical of Morgan's play. He seems to lack instinct, imo. Watch every game and key in on Morgan, and he was out of the play way too often for a ILB/MLB. W/ that said, that position will get funneled a lot of tackles. He will probably lead the team but up until now, he's been a disappointment, imho. Last year I thought the light would turn on but aside from a couple games, I thought he was very average. I'm hoping his senior year he puts it all together and based on the s&c that transformed his body somewhat, that's a good possibility.
Agree with respect to Cam and Fox. As for Morgan, I thought he had a very good year last season, considering the overall dysfunctional defense. He was constantly fighting off offensive linemen and having to make the tackle five yards beyond the line of scrimmage, and like every other player on defense, it was difficult to play instinctively in the BVG system, and like everyone else, his play improved every game removed from BVG. I expect Morgan to have a very good year, and I expect we'll see more tackles for a loss from him in the first three games than he had all last season.

From a player I agree with most that it will be Nyles but from a position perspective the rover will tack on quite a few as well. I'm more interested in the impact plays (tackles for loss, sacks, turnovers created, etc) that I believe Elko and his scheme will bring to the table. Again, both of these positions are top of the list but I'm hoping I'm wrong as I would like for the DLine to lead in that category.

Perhaps we should revise the OP's question:
1. Who will lead the team in TFL?
2. Who will lead the team in tackles within 1-3 yards of the LOS?
3. Who will lead the team in solo open field tackles?

I may be wrong in this estimate, but haven't our leading tacklers (outside of teo / day / tuitt) been dbs? Indicating that our front 7 aren't shedding blocks and getting the tackles over the past few years?

I want to say nyles morgan, but given recent history, I think the running teams will give our safety's / cornerbacks more tackles than the guys up front.

Not try to be pessimistic, I just can't recall outside of Teo and the 2012 years when our leading tacklers were in the front 7?

Correct me if I'm wrong (probably am), and I'll eat crow.

I may be wrong in this estimate, but haven't our leading tacklers (outside of teo / day / tuitt) been dbs? Indicating that our front 7 aren't shedding blocks and getting the tackles over the past few years?

I want to say nyles morgan, but given recent history, I think the running teams will give our safety's / cornerbacks more tackles than the guys up front.

Not try to be pessimistic, I just can't recall outside of Teo and the 2012 years when our leading tacklers were in the front 7?

Correct me if I'm wrong (probably am), and I'll eat crow.
Linebackers each year
13: Fox
14: Smith
15: Smith
16: Morgan

From the snippets of reports coming out of Dallas, it sounds like Jaylon might play this year?!?! Haven't followed it closely, but if true then godspeed to that young man. He is a good one in all aspects.

Totally agree IIO. 120 should be the minimum for Nyles avg 10 to 9.5 a game is absolutely doable! Drue should have 80+ barring injury anything over 60 for Martini and we should all be ecstatic.

BUMP !! I am right so far ! Tevon Coney with limited playing time has taken over the total tackle lead 25 to 24 over Nyles Morgan ! Tevon also has the most solo tackles !!
I really believe that Tevon Coney ha the potential to be an AllAmerican linebacker !! He has a nose for the ball and is so quick to the ball carrier !! He is just short. Mike Singletary 2.0 !! Tevon is the kind of linebacker that the SEC usually gets !!
He is just in the doghouse because him and Stepherson are good friends and smoked a blunt together !!
Go Coney !~! Free Stepherson !!
Go Irish !!
Beat Sparty
C86fpdYUQAAV99l.jpg

What about Coney?
Bodi, you're right so far as you say, and also likely to be in the mix right up to the end of the season. I thought sharing snaps with Martini would take him out of the mix, and didn't think he'd play any time at Morgan's position. He's getting on the field a lot, and he hits like a ton. You're right that he reminds of the kind of "too short" linebackers the SEC grabs and who excel. I can praise Coney without disparaging Martini who has played two good games. Great linebacker group.

The thing about Te'Von is that Elko is using him perfectly in rotation In that he plays him as a run stuffer, which is truly what he is. Te'Von is one of those SEC country kids that maybe Alabama, Florida and Georgia pass on, but he usually ends up at like Ole Miss, Miss State or Auburn and winds up having a quiet but highly productive 4 year career. Elko is doing a fine job of what he said he would do in the spring. Find out what players can do, rather than what they can't and maximize their playing time in those situations that allow their skill set to shine. This is why Te'Von and Nyles are the tandem on a lot of running downs, where as Greer comes on the field when ND is looking to play coverage. Te'Von is a traditional box linebacker. He's an SEC style thumper. Greer plays better in space.

Tevon Coney is second in tackles behind Nyles Morgan 42 for Tevon and 44 for Morgan who has played twice as much as Nyles. Tevon wraps up when he tackles Nyles doesn't. Greer Martini is third in tackles with 39. Jerry Tillery has 3 sacks. Drue Tranquill has two forced fumbles. No one besides me had Tevon in their top five for tackles. Tevon is quick as hell ! Why no love? Is it because he smoked weed? Ballis and Elko have had a great influence on the young man. Next year Coney will be an AllAmerican.

Last edited:
Coney is out of control at times. Morgan too.... But a lesser extent. Martini should be playing more than Coney right now....what he lacks in foot speed he has become a much improved linebacker fundamentally.

Tranquil will lead tackles by seasons end.

I will lead all fans with complaints of Brian Kelly just edging out Bodie

Tevon Coney is second in tackles behind Nyles Morgan 42 for Tevon and 44 for Morgan who has played twice as much as Nyles. Tevon wraps up when he tackles Nyles doesn't. Greer Martini is third in tackles with 39. Jerry Tillery has 3 sacks. Drue Tranquill has two forced fumbles. No one besides me had Tevon in their top five for tackles. Tevon is quick as hell ! Why no love? Is it because he smoked weed? Ballis and Elko have had a great influence on the young man. Next year Coney will be an AllAmerican.

Bodi,

Nobody had Coney in their top 5 except you?... how do you know that dude? You never asked that question. The question was who we thought would lead ND in tackles. My top 5 would have been Morgan, Tranquill (my top 2 picks), Coney, Martini and one of Jerry Tillery or Jalen Elliot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT