ADVERTISEMENT

You guys understand this is a prelude to ND joining the ACC in football, right?

The ACC will contrive the same schedule next year, for the same reasons.

"The ACC will contrive the same schedule next year, for the same reasons."

And you know this how? Of course -- you sat in on all the discussions!

Reactions: Pennick4
"The ACC will contrive the same schedule next year, for the same reasons."

And you know this how? Of course -- you sat in on all the discussions!
Kelso, I'm not trolling nor am I trying to be nasty. You domers are well aware that Swoffie wants you in the ACC for all sports. What is an option this year will be an ultimatum next year: all in or all out.

You guys should be prepared for this ultimatum. The ACC TV Network is floundering and will probably be desperate soon. ND in the schedule for ten games this year isn't a long-term fix.

Kelso, I'm not trolling nor am I trying to be nasty. You domers are well aware that Swoffie wants you in the ACC for all sports. What is an option this year will be an ultimatum next year: all in or all out.

You guys should be prepared for this ultimatum. The ACC TV Network is floundering and will probably be desperate soon. ND in the schedule for ten games this year isn't a long-term fix.

Pure conjecture on your part. You are guessing, and it is a poor guess, at that.

COVID-19 is still going to be a huge disruption a year from now? Thanks for letting us all know this.
He said the ACC would contrive it. I assume he's a Meeshegun Man in denial about the sex abuse that lasted decades.

The Acc network isn't floundering. It exceeded revenue expectations and the payout to each school was close to what the SECN paid out its first year.

I don’t get where you think the ACC is in any position to issue an all in or all out ultimatum next year to ND. Rather, I think the hope is ND fans will love the opportunity to possibly play for the Conference championship, as well as be eligible for the Conference’s Orange Bowl berth, and that this experience will create a groundswell of alumni support for joining the Conference in 2025 when our TV deal expires.

I would expect nothing less from a Puke fan-the new doormats of the Little 15? Your pathetic conference should have taken ND when you had the chance---1925.

Question, does ND lose money or make money by splitting all revenue with the ACC as opposed to keeping all its NBC money?

Rather, I think the hope is ND fans will love the opportunity to possibly play for the Conference championship, as well as be eligible for the Conference’s Orange Bowl berth, and that this experience will create a groundswell of alumni support for joining the Conference in 2025 when our TV deal expires.

Highly, highly unlikely.

Question, does ND lose money or make money by splitting all revenue with the ACC as opposed to keeping all its NBC money?
The consensus from people that pay attention to this stuff is that ND will make somewhat more money in 2020/2021 than it would have made with football as an independent.

Boris -- yea, I kind of get it -- a lot of context gets lost in this virtual world. As for your comment to be prepared for the ultimatum -- I don't think it will be an "ultimatum" (don't think the ACC will state "all in or all out" -- they will lose big time -- which is why the deal is until 2036 as it stands -- and I am sure BOTH ND and the ACC are protected in that structure) -- but more of an agreement when ND will join in full time. As much as I want to preserve our independence (the basis of who ND is and how ND came to be), if someone is not reading the tea leaves it is because they have their collective heads in the sand and don't want to acknowledge the fact that ND will, at some point here in the near future (my guess is 5 years) -- will be a full time member of the ACC.

Boris -- yea, I kind of get it -- a lot of context gets lost in this virtual world. As for your comment to be prepared for the ultimatum -- I don't think it will be an "ultimatum" (don't think the ACC will state "all in or all out" -- they will lose big time -- which is why the deal is until 2036 as it stands -- and I am sure BOTH ND and the ACC are protected in that structure) -- but more of an agreement when ND will join in full time. As much as I want to preserve our independence (the basis of who ND is and how ND came to be), if someone is not reading the tea leaves it is because they have their collective heads in the sand and don't want to acknowledge the fact that ND will, at some point here in the near future (my guess is 5 years) -- will be a full time member of the ACC.
Yep. Your explanation was a good deal more polished than my declaration of an "ultimatum" but that is nonetheless where this is headed. Swoffie and Swarrie will have lengthy mating dance and there will be all sorts of gimmicks to combat COVID-19, but ND will become a full member in the ACC. Your arch-rival in the Midwest will be that Harvard on the Ohio River, Louisville.

Reactions: Kelso86
I do not believe that the terms of the Notre Dame NBC TV deal were ever made public. But most place the value around $15-16m plus what ever your post season earnings equate.

Last year the ACC paid its member schools just shy of ~$30m, although Clemson was a bit higher to account for post season travel to the playoff games. Next year will be the first year for the ACCN revenue to kick in, but you would have gotten your full share there anyway. The ACCN is off to a very good start, but will get even better when Comcast has to sign on because Disney will threaten to remove kids programming if they don't also buy the sports. Comcast is huge and will be a significant bump in 2 years I think.

Notre Dame normally gets around $6m from the ACC, so if you add that to the $16m that brings your normal distribution to ~$22m minus post season. If you were to play both playoff games I think that would get you $6m, but you would have to account for your own travel expenses.... so ideally that brings you to $28m. Less as you work your way down the post season bowl list.

The league is expected to fall about $1-2 million short on payout this year due to that which shall not be named.... so as others have said... a little better, but pretty much a wash.

If Notre Dame was to come into the ACC full time it is said that the ACC contract would be renegotiated and could be considerably better. I also like that Swofford has already announced retirement, and I would like our chances at a better deal if someone like Jack Swarbrick was inking the deal.

Edit: Just to add to the above. Where the schools are really going to take a hit is the lack of fans in the seats. Decrease in booster donation, ticket sales, and concessions. Add in that the majority of programs are significantly leveraged for building projects and escalated coaching salaries this year is going to be brutal as I expect that investors are still going to want those bond payments to happen.

Last edited:
Yep. Your explanation was a good deal more polished than my declaration of an "ultimatum" but that is nonetheless where this is headed. Swoffie and Swarrie will have lengthy mating dance and there will be all sorts of gimmicks to combat COVID-19, but ND will become a full member in the ACC. Your arch-rival in the Midwest will be that Harvard on the Ohio River, Louisville.

We already have an arch rival. Hint: their home field is the Colisseum.

No, I'm a Purdue guy. And you don't wanna talk about denial of sex abuse that lasted decades with me.

https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19920107&slug=1469077

Yeah, you're a Purdue troll that doesn't realize Woadblue isn't an Irish fan.
I do not believe that the terms of the Notre Dame NBC TV deal were ever made public. But most place the value around $15-16m plus what ever your post season earnings equate.

Last year the ACC paid its member schools just shy of ~$30m, although Clemson was a bit higher to account for post season travel to the playoff games. Next year will be the first year for the ACCN revenue to kick in, but you would have gotten your full share there anyway. The ACCN is off to a very good start, but will get even better when Comcast has to sign on because Disney will threaten to remove kids programming if they don't also buy the sports. Comcast is huge and will be a significant bump in 2 years I think.

Notre Dame normally gets around $6m from the ACC, so if you add that to the $16m that brings your normal distribution to ~$22m minus post season. If you were to play both playoff games I think that would get you $6m, but you would have to account for your own travel expenses.... so ideally that brings you to $28m. Less as you work your way down the post season bowl list.

The league is expected to fall about $1-2 million short on payout this year due to that which shall not be named.... so as others have said... a little better, but pretty much a wash.

If Notre Dame was to come into the ACC full time it is said that the ACC contract would be renegotiated and could be considerably better. I also like that Swofford has already announced retirement, and I would like our chances at a better deal if someone like Jack Swarbrick was inking the deal.

Edit: Just to add to the above. Where the schools are really going to take a hit is the lack of fans in the seats. Decrease in booster donation, ticket sales, and concessions. Add in that the majority of programs are significantly leveraged for building projects and escalated coaching salaries this year is going to be brutal as I expect that investors are still going to want those bond payments to happen.

https://fightingirishwire.usatoday....ble-program-over-last-three-years-per-forbes/

Reactions: NDSMC78
We already have an arch rival. Hint: their home field is the Colisseum.
Please re-read my post. I said "Your arch-rival in the Midwest . . ."

You're going to end up with an annual rivalry with Louisville. You'll be in the same division with no other annual home-and-away for a thousand miles.

Last edited:
Please re-read my post. I said "Your arch-rival in the Midwest . . ."

You're going to end up with an annual rivalry with Louisville. You'll be in the same division with no other annual home-and-away for a thousand miles.

Please re-read my post. We already have a rival. You don't know what the future holds any more than anyone else. So go away and try to figure out how to beat IU.

Reactions: Classic Irish
The ACC will contrive the same schedule next year, for the same reasons.
LOL. Apparently you are not aware of the remaining 10 years of the existing ACC agreement. But then we all know your post is clickbait, to which I have now contributed. Or, you’re just simple.

Yeah, you're a Purdue troll that doesn't realize Woadblue isn't an Irish fan.

https://fightingirishwire.usatoday....ble-program-over-last-three-years-per-forbes/
I do not see any references to numbers in that article, but $15m is one of the guesses I saw (it was the previous amount)... another was $16m, the one I used to be the most optimistic. The article you cite takes merchandising, ticket sales, & donations into account. None of those are shared... Every article I see on the NBC deal uses the same "reportedly worth" because ND does not have to release the contract details as a private school.

This one year ACC membership is the best case scenario for ND. Get to test the conference membership waters without long term commitment. If it works out perfectly, we come in take the ACC title of Clemsons hand, and bounce out.

There will be a super conf soon that ND will be a part of for sure. Once play for pay with NIL compensation starts in 2021 the teams that will compete for NC's will separate from those old conf's and start a new league the same way Power 5 has separated from the rest. Small schools and most state univ won't be able to compete with big money schools.

or like you are crap at reading tea leaves
which is pretty stupid thing to do anyway; just right up your alley

Reactions: irishalice
Please don't get locked into being a full member of the ACC in football beyond this year. We still have an arch rival in Southern California. We play 5 or six ACC schools and then schedule some big time schools. REMEMBER we got to the final FOUR just two years ago as an Independent. We will be a lost soul playing most of our games on the east coast. SICKENING to me. And never forget why we became an independent because of religious racism against ND. ND had to make their own way. Please think about what I have said. As far as money is concerned the better year ND has on the football field the more the alumni give back to ND. Let's be intelligent about this. BECAUSE we had to make our own way this lead to our great NATIONAL FOLLOWING AND NATIONAL SCHEDULING and our great ND football tradition. You want to give this all up for a few million dollars that ND will make back in a hurry. Please don't get SOFT NOW!

Last edited:
Please don't get locked into being a full member of the ACC in football beyond this year. We still have an arch rival in Southern California. We play 5 or six ACC schools and then schedule some big time schools. REMEMBER we got to the final FOUR just two years ago as an Independent. We will be a lost soul playing most of our games on the east coast. SICKENING to me. And never forget why we became an independent because of religious racism against ND. ND had to make their own way. Please think about what I have said. As far as money is concerned the better year ND has on the football field the more the alumni give back to ND. Let's be intelligent about this. BECAUSE we had to make our own way this lead to our great NATIONAL FOLLOWING AND NATIONAL SCHEDULING and our great ND football tradition. You want to give this all up for a few million dollars that ND will make back in a hurry. Please don't get SOFT NOW!
Why are people panicking about joining the ACC? We are not joining the ACC. Its a 1 year thing due to covid. People need to relax

Why are people panicking about joining the ACC? We are not joining the ACC. Its a 1 year thing due to covid. People need to relax
Right. Next year it will be a one year thing due to G4 Eurasian avian-like (EA) H1N1 virus.

Prevalent Eurasian avian-like H1N1 swine influenza virus with 2009 pandemic viral genes facilitating human infection

Abstract
Pigs are considered as important hosts or “mixing vessels” for the generation of pandemic influenza viruses. Systematic surveillance of influenza viruses in pigs is essential for early warning and preparedness for the next potential pandemic. Here, we report on an influenza virus surveillance of pigs from 2011 to 2018 in China, and identify a recently emerged genotype 4 (G4) reassortant Eurasian avian-like (EA) H1N1 virus, which bears 2009 pandemic (pdm/09) and triple-reassortant (TR)-derived internal genes and has been predominant in swine populations since 2016. Similar to pdm/09 virus, G4 viruses bind to human-type receptors, produce much higher progeny virus in human airway epithelial cells, and show efficient infectivity and aerosol transmission in ferrets. Moreover, low antigenic cross-reactivity of human influenza vaccine strains with G4 reassortant EA H1N1 virus indicates that preexisting population immunity does not provide protection against G4 viruses. Further serological surveillance among occupational exposure population showed that 10.4% (35/338) of swine workers were positive for G4 EA H1N1 virus, especially for participants 18 y to 35 y old, who had 20.5% (9/44) seropositive rates, indicating that the predominant G4 EA H1N1 virus has acquired increased human infectivity. Such infectivity greatly enhances the opportunity for virus adaptation in humans and raises concerns for the possible generation of pandemic viruses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT