ADVERTISEMENT

With Will Shipley Committing To Clemson

I disagree with much of this. Starting with praising the OLine. I think that area has been the most overrated of all positions at ND the last several years. Except for Quinton Nelson and Alex Bars. If the OLine was as good as most people here think, the RBs at ND have enough talent, speed vision, strength etc., to exploit holes the OLine opens up. But they didn't, certainly not with consistency. How many times inside the 10 yd line was the OLine stuffed these past several years? Too many, IMO. That's probably why you see Kelly throwing down there.

That said, I think this year they (the OL) may actually be pretty good, and that we will need to see RBs (at least 1) have a break out season. I like Jafar Armstrong and C'Borius. Also think if C'Bo is not given a better chance, he's going to the dreaded transfer portal. He reminds me a bit of Emmitt Smith in his running style. He's elusive, quick, runs low through the line, sees the field, has ability to create. I hope he's given a good chance this year.
I see nothing in cbo that makes me think hes a first or second stringer at nd. I think he could start at a smaller school.

Id rather we take a waiver on Speights from Stanford and let accept either smith or cbo transfers...maybe both. Taylor wants to upgrade the rb room, its obviously a weakness

Last edited:
I see nothing in cbo.

Id rather we take a waiver on Speights from Stanford and let accept either smith or cbo transfers...maybe both. Taylor wants to upgrade the rb room, its obviously a weakness

I barely remember Speights other than the name. I'm still not sold on Taylor, but I think he got 2 good kids the last 2 years, but let one slip away. We'll see.

I disagree with much of this. Starting with praising the OLine. I think that area has been the most overrated of all positions at ND the last several years. Except for Quinton Nelson and Alex Bars. If the OLine was as good as most people here think, the RBs at ND have enough talent, speed vision, strength etc., to exploit holes the OLine opens up. But they didn't, certainly not with consistency. How many times inside the 10 yd line was the OLine stuffed these past several years? Too many, IMO. That's probably why you see Kelly throwing down there.

That said, I think this year they (the OL) may actually be pretty good, and that we will need to see RBs (at least 1) have a break out season. I like Jafar Armstrong and C'Borius. Also think if C'Bo is not given a better chance, he's going to the dreaded transfer portal. He reminds me a bit of Emmitt Smith in his running style. He's elusive, quick, runs low through the line, sees the field, has ability to create. I hope he's given a good chance this year.

Since when do we try to "open up" holes?

Reactions: Weisnheimer
No talent. Those touchdowns mostly came against second and third stringers on horrid teams.

1 td vs new mexico in a blowout with 5 minutes left up 52-7
1 td vs bowling green in a blowout with 6 minutes left up by 45
1 td vs duke in a blowout scored from 2 yards out up 14-0
1 td vs virginia only good run of the year from 10 yards out in second. Disappeared after
1 td vs stanford in last 5 minutes up by two tds

He can only get the opportunities as they come and has to take advantage of seeing the field when given the chance. Seems to me he did a pretty good job of that given Kelly's use of backups ie, the very end of games. Jurkovic.

I barely remember Speights other than the name. I'm still not sold on Taylor, but I think he got 2 good kids the last 2 years, but let one slip away. We'll see.
Speights showed nothing at stanford but only had few carries. In texas hs he ran 4.4 and averaged 12 yards a carry. If hes healthy and his Stanford play was related to the stanford disfunction (15 guys transferring out) i think hes worth a shot. He had offers from oklahoma and texas a/m and was recruited by taylor.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
He can only get the opportunities as they come and has to take advantage of seeing the field when given the chance. Seems to me he did a pretty good job of that given Kelly's use of backups ie, the very end of games. Jurkovic.
When up by 40 and in jumbo lineups to run the ball against third stringers he averaged 3.0 ypc.

Ive seen enough.

When up by 40 and in jumbo lineups to run the ball against third stringers he averaged 3.0 ypc.

Ive seen enough.

He maybe played against 2nd stringers with ND up big, maybe not, but he also probably had 2nd stringers blocking for him, as well.

He maybe played against 2nd stringers with ND up big, maybe not, but he also probably had 2nd stringers blocking for him, as well.
Just to be clear.

Exactly how many players on Bowling Greens team do you consider equal to Notre Dames third stringers.

Not many right?

New Mexico?

None? Really?

Duke?

Yeah....seeing a trend here

How about Navy? Virginia?

That is who cbo played the most against.

There is not a metric that exists for last year that doesnt point to the fact that cbo was rushing for 3ish yards per carry against the weakest of ND opponents with the game in hand.

mirer I'm not going to do a deep dive into his carries and at what points in the game they all came. I guarantee if I did some of his carries would be in the meat of the game.

As far as his playing against 2nd or 3rd string, my guess is if we were pounding some team and Kelly had C'Borius (cool name hah) in at garbage time, there would be many if not all 2nd teamers on the ND side, whereas, the other side probably kept in some starters.

Bottom line is: Based on his limited PT, you don't like his game, and I do. I think the horse is beaten.

Golson5,

Tennessee has done a great job on the trail since we last chatted about it and their class is up to #2 nationally (23 commits). They've got a lot of talented players committed and they're still in on a number of other key guys. Barring a complete dumpster fire of a season (it is Tennnessee, so who knows) I'd say they're virtually a lock to land a top 10 class at this point, and could be as high as #5-#6 when all is said and done. You think their class holds up?

No reason it won't IMO----Tenn has a lot to sell.

Great tradition , excellent facilities in the best league in the country with a rabid fan base and you can play quickly.

Golson5,

Tennessee has done a great job on the trail since we last chatted about it and their class is up to #2 nationally (23 commits). They've got a lot of talented players committed and they're still in on a number of other key guys. Barring a complete dumpster fire of a season (it is Tennnessee, so who knows) I'd say they're virtually a lock to land a top 10 class at this point, and could be as high as #5-#6 when all is said and done. You think their class holds up?
I think they have a solid class right now, nothing special.

They have 23 commits and a 89.84. Pretty good but not top 10 material.

If they didn't add a single commit from right now, they'd have the 13th ranked class from the 2020 class. And that's with 23 commits

I don't know how many they will take.

Last year they took 23 commits with a 89.92 avg so their class was actually better last year. They finished 10th.

If they take 25 or more players they may finish in the 7 to 10 mark. Due to their class size. Maybe. But in terms of quality, it's more like a 12 to 15th ranked class.

Decent job but not overly impressive. Just taking a lot of numbers

Also right now we have 7 combined 4 and 5 stars on 10 commits.

They only have 10 combined on 23 commits

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT