ADVERTISEMENT

With the controversy selecting the top 4

NDinNJ

I've posted how many times?
Nov 23, 2018
Let's talk hypotheticals. What if ND had gone 12-0, would they be in the top 4? Why or why not?

100%. We would have better wins and less notable injuries than FSU, who still might get in.

ND would get in if undefeated. They’d have beaten Ohio State. In fact, we’d probably be ranked #1 too bc we’d have beaten the only good team Michigan beat + UL and Clemson. Also, Hartman would be at the Heisman ceremony. We were essentially a dropped interception away from that all being a possibility. But this staff would’ve blown a game to UL or Clemson regardless. I’m rather convinced that without a new coach it won’t matter much how talented this team gets, what big name QB we land, or what exciting transfer player comes in. We don’t have a Norvell or Saban running the Gug and making critical decisions in close and difficult games.

Last edited:
There is a famous topic in matters of life: limits to knowledge. It's obvious data and analysis cannot ensure objectivity and, therefore, full fairness in a 4 team playoff voted by humans. This is not algorithmic ranking, league based results, or an NHL type playoff with coverage.

It is this, with the key highlights: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Playoff

A team's strength of schedule is one of the most pertinent considerations for the committee in making its selections. Other factors that the committee weighs are conference championships, team records, and head-to-head results, plus other points such as injuries and weather. Unlike the BCSsystem, the AP Poll, Coaches' Poll, and the Harris Poll, computer rankings are not used to make the selections. Advanced statistics and metrics are expected to be submitted to the committee, though like other analytics, they have no formal role in the decision. Committee members are not required to attend games.

Ok, with that, here is how I would pick in 2 contexts, trying to make it fair.

My POWER RANKING: Note this is common sense, full eye test, de facto.
1. Alabama
2. Michigan
3. Georgia
4. Ohio State or Texas, can't decide.

My NCAA Selection Committee picks: Note this is common sense, full eye test, de cure.
1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. FSU
4. Texas.

An undefeated ND might lose out to undefeated Power 5 conference champion teams.

A 12 team playoff fixes all of this. The top teams will be in. The last 4 teams might be controversial, but it's moot when the top teams will be in.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Even with three losses, ND RIGHT NOW is a top 10ish team if we are looking possession by possession adjusted for opponent strength defensively and offensively.
A 12-0 ND is 100% in the final 4.

I absolutely LOVE ND.

No way in hell is ND top 10 right now!

:)

I absolutely LOVE ND.

No way in hell is ND top 10 right now!

:)
On a neutral field, there are not more than 10 teams that would get favored over Notre Dame, and even a few of those teams would only be favored by about two or three points. On a per possession basis right now, Notre Dame is a top 10ish team.

Let's talk hypotheticals. What if ND had gone 12-0, would they be in the top 4? Why or why not?
The committee just rang the death knell for the ACC.

First is was the Big 12, then the Pac, and now the ACC. My prediction of there being just two super conferences, the B1G (Fox) vs the SEC (ESPN) is coming to fruition sooner than I thought. All 4 teams will be either in the B1G or the SEC next year. Notre Dame had better be watching this a lot closer.

The committee has now shown the health of your QB is more important than anything else.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT