ADVERTISEMENT

Will Marcus Freeman Be ND's Lou Gehrig?

Dec 7, 2007
As I lay in bed last night pondering the events of this past week, and in particular the press conference earlier yesterday introducing Marcus Freeman as the new Head Coach of Notre Dame, an image of a young Lou Gehrig popped briefly into my mind, and got me thinking about all that has happened.

For those who follow baseball, you likely know the Lou Gehrig story. In 1923, the Yankees' starting first baseman, Wally Pipp, got hit in the head with a baseball during batting practice, and had to sit out a few games. Pipp had been a stalwart first baseman for the Yankees, twice leading the league in home runs. The Yankees turned to a young (19 years old) and promising rookie, Lou Gehrig, to play first base while Pipp was out. The rest, as they say, is history. Gehrig's stellar play eventually forced Pipp out of the lineup permanently, and Gehrig went on to have a HOF career, winning 7 World Series with the Yankees and teaming up with Babe Ruth to become part of the famous "murderer's row." (I expect Harlem Irish and some of our other Yankees fans on this board know the whole story much better than I do.)

Which brings me to the hiring of Marcus Freeman. (I know, my imagination is probably a little bit over active, but stay with me on this.)

Several seemingly unrelated but interconnected events had to occur in order for this to happen.

First, in December 2020, Vanderbilt fired their head football coach, Derek Mason. A young and promising assistant coach at Notre Dame, Clark Lea, decides to leave ND to accept the head coaching position at Vanderbilt, his alma mater. If that doesn't happen, Lea is still coaching up the defense at ND in 2021, and Kelly has no reason to hire Marcus Freeman.

Second, with Lea gone, Brian Kelly has to hire a new DC, and sets his sights on a rising young coaching star at Cincinnati, Marcus Freeman. To the surprise of many, Kelly wins a hiring battle with LSU to retain Freeman's services. Had LSU won that battle, as most expected it would, I don't think Marcus Freeman stands at the podium a year later as the new HC at ND. But because MF comes to ND, Jack Swarbrick gets to witness, first hand, not just MF's coaching skills, but his special ability to connect on a very personal level with both players and recruits. As Swarbrick stated yesterday at the press conference to introduce MF, this contact proves invaluable when Swarbrick is confronted with having to unexpectedly fill the head coach position.

Third, to the surprise of the college football world, and the consternation of the ND football fan base (well, at least most of them), Brian Kelly announces this past Monday that he is leaving ND to become the head coach at LSU. Suddenly and unexpectedly, Swarbrick is forced to find Kelly's replacement. Had Kelly served out the remainder of his contract at ND, as most supposed he would, it seems unlikely that Marcus Freeman would be available as an option to succeed Kelly, as Freeman was on a fast track to take a head coaching position somewhere, and most likely would have been hired somewhere else after perhaps another season as ND's defensive coordinator. Did Kelly jump ship because, as he explained, he wanted a "new challenge" somewhere else; or did he decide to chase the pot of gold that comes with being the head coach at LSU? We don't know, and may never know, what ultimately motivated Kelly, but his actions opened up an opportunity--much like the ball that hit Wally Pipp in the head--that was not likely to have otherwise existed.

Are these events merely fortuitous? Or are they, instead, serendipitous? I guess time will tell. But I am going with the Lou Gehrig comparison.

Some see "luck of the Irish" as merely a catchy phrase, but sometimes the stars just line up right. Will this be one of those moments?

Go Marcus! And go Irish!

Last edited:
As I lay in bed last night pondering the events of this past week, and in particular the press conference earlier yesterday introducing Marcus Freeman as the new Head Coach of Notre Dame, an image of a young Lou Gehrig popped briefly in my mind, and got me thinking about all that has happened.

For those who follow baseball, you likely know the Lou Gehrig story. In 1923, the Yankees' starting first baseman, Wally Pipp, got hit in the head with a baseball during batting practice, and had to sit out a few games. Pipp had been a stalwart first baseman for the Yankees, twice leading the league in home runs. The Yankees turned to a young (19 years old) and promising rookie, Lou Gehrig, to play first base while Pipp was out. The rest, as they say, is history. Gehrig's stellar play eventually forced Pipp out of the lineup permanently, and Gehrig went on to have a HOF career, winning 7 World Series with the Yankees and teaming up with Babe Ruth to become part of the famous "murderer's row." (I expect Harlem Irish and some of our other Yankees fans on this board know the whole story much better than I do.)

Which brings me to the hiring of Marcus Freeman. (I know, my imagination is probably a little bit over active, but stay with me on this.)

Several seemingly unrelated but interconnected events had to occur in order for this to happen.

First, in December 2020, Vanderbilt fired their head football coach, Derek Mason. A young and promising assistant coach at Notre Dame, Clark Lea, decides to leave ND to accept the head coaching position at Vanderbilt, his alma mater. If that doesn't happen, Lea is still coaching up the defense at ND in 2021, and Kelly has no reason to hire Marcus Freeman.

Second, with Lea gone, Brian Kelly has to hire a new DC, and sets his sights on a rising young coaching star at Cincinnati, Marcus Freeman. To the surprise of many, Kelly wins a hiring battle with LSU to retain Freeman's services. Had LSU won that battle, as most expected it would, I don't think Marcus Freeman stands at the podium a year later as the new HC at ND. But because MF comes to ND, Jack Swarbrick gets to witness, first hand, not just MF's coaching skills, but his special ability to connect on a very personal level with both players and recruits. As Swarbrick stated yesterday at the press conference to introduce MF, this contact proves invaluable when Swarbrick is confronted with having to unexpectedly fill the head coach position.

Third, to the surprise of the college football world, and the consternation of the ND football fan base (well, at least most of them), Brian Kelly announces this past Monday that he is leaving ND to become the head coach at LSU. Suddenly and unexpectedly, Swarbrick is forced to find Kelly's replacement. Had Kelly served out the remainder of his contract at ND, as most supposed he would, it seems unlikely that Marcus Freeman would be available as an option to succeed Kelly, as Freeman was on a fast track to take a head coaching position somewhere, and most likely would have been hired somewhere else after perhaps another season as ND's defensive coordinator. Did Kelly jump ship because, as he explained, he wanted a "new challenge" somewhere else; or did he decide to chase the pot of gold that comes with being the head coach at LSU? We don't know, and may never know, what ultimately motivated Kelly, but his actions opened up an opportunity--much like the ball that hit Wally Pipp in the head--that was not likely to have otherwise existed.

Are these events merely fortuitous? Or are they, instead, serendipitous? I guess time will tell. But I am going with the Lou Gehrig comparison.

Some see "luck of the Irish" as merely a catchy phrase, but sometimes the stars just line up right. Will this be one of those moments?

Go Marcus! And go Irish!
I like him as a person. But no.

Reactions: scubastevefl
Look at the coming of Ara to ND.... He was going pretty good at Northwestern. His team beat ND four years in a row. He went to his athletic Director and asked for a contract extension as a demonstration of the appreciation for his good work. The AD did not want too at that time. He wanted Ara to coach out his contract and then they would negotiate a new contract. Ara got mad and felt unappreciated by Northwestern. He informed the President of Northwestern that he was leaving the school and why. Meanwhile Father Joyce heard that Ara was dissatisfied at Northwestern. He informed Father Ted that Ara might be available. Father Ted informs the President of Northwestern of their interest. The President informs Father Ted that Ara was leaving and gave him his blessing. Father Joyce contacts Ara and agreed to meet with Father Ted and Joyce. They met in a Hotel Room in Chicago. Ara is hired and the rest is Irish Lore. I've been thinking about that the last few days. It seems so close to Ara's story. I look at Coach Freeman and see a young man fulfilling his dream. He learned the game under some very successful coaches. I'm excited to have him as our coach. It wouldn't surprise me if he has a legendary career here at Notre Dame. I know he will give us his best. It's in his DNA. Let the good times roll. Best of Irish Luck Coach Freeman.

1. be a decent human being
2. be a decent builder of character
3. be a decent football head coach

It has been a while.
Kelly was all three of those things.

He’s not Mother Teresa, but I would think we’ve seen enough of him in his 12 years here that he would qualify as a mere decent human being.

When compared to Marcus Freeman, yes Freeman does seem more genuine and to have a bit more humility.

I would say Freeman probably has myself beat in those areas as well, likely you too from what I’ve seen of your posting.

Reactions: Pennick4
As I lay in bed last night pondering the events of this past week, and in particular the press conference earlier yesterday introducing Marcus Freeman as the new Head Coach of Notre Dame, an image of a young Lou Gehrig popped briefly in my mind, and got me thinking about all that has happened.

Go Marcus! And go Irish!
Kelly had a slip of the tongue when he said Marcus Freeman will be the next head coach. I think that's what he said, so maybe back when it was said Kelly was thinking about flying the coop to the highest bidder

Any success a head coach has starts with assembling a competent committed staff.
This is a critical time for MF.
He seems to get it! Got a good feeling ND got a sincere high character man who will be a good then great head coach.

Look at the coming of Ara to ND.... He was going pretty good at Northwestern. His team beat ND four years in a row. He went to his athletic Director and asked for a contract extension as a demonstration of the appreciation for his good work. The AD did not want too at that time. He wanted Ara to coach out his contract and then they would negotiate a new contract. Ara got mad and felt unappreciated by Northwestern. He informed the President of Northwestern that he was leaving the school and why. Meanwhile Father Joyce heard that Ara was dissatisfied at Northwestern. He informed Father Ted that Ara might be available. Father Ted informs the President of Northwestern of their interest. The President informs Father Ted that Ara was leaving and gave him his blessing. Father Joyce contacts Ara and agreed to meet with Father Ted and Joyce. They met in a Hotel Room in Chicago. Ara is hired and the rest is Irish Lore. I've been thinking about that the last few days. It seems so close to Ara's story. I look at Coach Freeman and see a young man fulfilling his dream. He learned the game under some very successful coaches. I'm excited to have him as our coach. It wouldn't surprise me if he has a legendary career here at Notre Dame. I know he will give us his best. It's in his DNA. Let the good times roll. Best of Irish Luck Coach Freeman.
As I recall the Ara story He reached out to ND with "If you are considering a change I would like to be considered, if not please disregard this letter" or words to that effect. From a Sports Illustrated story back in '68 or '69.

Ara had a prior history of being a highly successful head coach in the Big Ten, MF doesn‘t have that on his CV, and that’s a major distinction.

Kelly had a slip of the tongue when he said Marcus Freeman will be the next head coach. I think that's what he said, so maybe back when it was said Kelly was thinking about flying the coop to the highest bidder
Kelly’s departure wasn’t motivated by money as the first priority

Reactions: Pennick4
BK has a history of moving on. My thinking was BK would decide to stay at ND another five to ten years at some point. I just didn't think he'd do it at Notre Dame.

The thing about Coach Freeman is he started day one to prepare himself for being a head coach. He's got a lot to learn and I was against hiring him. ND needs a head coach with experience frankly. We've got a youngster and I'm going to support him come what may. I truly believe he'll give us his best shot.

Reactions: Classic Irish
BK has a history of moving on. My thinking was BK would decide to stay at ND another five to ten years at some point. I just didn't think he'd do it at Notre Dame.

The thing about Coach Freeman is he started day one to prepare himself for being a head coach. He's got a lot to learn and I was against hiring him. ND needs a head coach with experience frankly. We've got a youngster and I'm going to support him come what may. I truly believe he'll give us his best shot.
History of moving on? He spent 16 years at Grand Valley, followed by a couple of 3 year stints before his 11 years with the Irish, didn’t he?? Not sure that’s quite a “history of moving on.”

As I lay in bed last night pondering the events of this past week, and in particular the press conference earlier yesterday introducing Marcus Freeman as the new Head Coach of Notre Dame, an image of a young Lou Gehrig popped briefly into my mind, and got me thinking about all that has happened.

Go Marcus! And go Irish!
Marcus Freeman has about as much chance of becoming ND's Lou GEHRIG as he does of becoming its Lou DOBBS.

Marcus Freeman has about as much chance of becoming ND's Lou GEHRIG as he does of becoming its Lou DOBBS.
He said to them, “Why are you afraid, you men of little faith?” Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the sea, and it became perfectly calm.

Matthew 8:26

He said to them, “Why are you afraid, you men of little faith?” Then He got up and rebuked the winds and the sea, and it became perfectly calm.

Krishnamurti: Belief is a PREMATURE CONCLUSION.

I agree with that which is why I DON'T BELIEVE IN BELIEF in ANY instance. And I don't draw conclusions as to outcomes.

I only know what appears to make sense in a given situation. Sometimes, I'm right, and sometimes, I'm wrong. Either way, it proves nothing. No one KNOWS how anything will turn out. And ROOTING doesn't make it so or no.

People who say otherwise are most likely trying to SELL YOU SOMETHING.

Are you quoting the damn bible? I didn't realize we'd gotten to that point....

MF may end up becoming a great coach for us, I'm cautiously optimistic, i just feel like he should get a new OC. It seems like such an obvious thing to do. But apparently Tommy Rees is a made man as long as he's coaching at ND.

He's not going to be the next Lou Gehrig no matter what happens. Because it's not an analogous situation. Brian Kelly is not Wally Pipp. He's just a super successful HC, who left, after being hired by LSU with a huge contract, and that's why he's not coach at ND anymore. That ain't what happened to Wally Pipp.

And it was MF's lucky day! Right place, right time.....

When you move on twice in twice in six years--that's history. Some call it climbing the later. I don't think it was money because he gave ND no time to counter offer. He was ready to move on. I think he wanted to see what he could do in a situation without all the ropes to jump over. Let's face it fans; he's down their bringing in kids through the transfer portal like crazy.

1983–1986Assumption (DC/LB)
1987–1988Grand Valley State (GA/DB)
1989–1990Grand Valley State (DC/RC)
1991–2003Grand Valley State
2004–2006Central Michigan
2006–2009Cincinnati
2010–2021Notre Dame

Last edited:
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. Psalms 14:1 I wonder, what was David trying to sell?

Reactions: BodiTheGreat

MF may end up becoming a great coach for us, I'm cautiously optimistic, i just feel like he should get a new OC. It seems like such an obvious thing to do. But apparently Tommy Rees is a made man as long as he's coaching at ND.

He's not going to be the next Lou Gehrig no matter what happens. Because it's not an analogous situation. Brian Kelly is not Wally Pipp. He's just a super successful HC, who left, after being hired by LSU with a huge contract, and that's why he's not coach at ND anymore. That ain't what happened to Wally Pipp.

Well, yes, I did quote the Bible, but I was trying to add a little levity for the sake of the Marcus Freeman unbelievers. You fellas need to lighten up a little bit.

Brian Kelly sucks ! A Girly man.

Well, yes, I did quote the Bible, but I was trying to add a little levity for the sake of the Marcus Freeman unbelievers. You fellas need to lighten up a little bit.
Well, I was joking too. I mean, I was making a joke because it looked like you were getting all serious and biblical, which you're saying you really weren't, and you yourself were just joking....

In any case, it's not a Wally Pipp situation. There's probably some other famous coach that got his start in some sport, that totally resembles MF's situation here at ND. I can't think of one off the top of my head. A Wally Pipp situation would be, if BK had gotten covid let's say, and had to suddenly take the whole season off, and MF stepped in and was a superstar coach, and then they basically just fired BK when he was recovered, and MF took over for good.

Deshone Kizer Wally-Pipped Malik Zaire, and should have taken over for good and there shouldn't have been any QB controversy. Which was BK's far and away worst mistake as ND football coach, and almost cost him his job. That situation was pretty darn close to being a classic Wally Pipp/Lou Gehrig scenario....

And to bring things full circle, that whole episode highlighted what even I would readily admit was BK's biggest character flaw, and that was being too image-conscious. Most of the time that aspect would reveal itself in BK throwing some player under the bus, not really but sort of doing that, in the aftermath of some frustrating loss or some situation like that. Which is small potatoes. Get over it..... But the Deshone Kizer thing actually hurt the program, and the extent to which he refused to name Kizer as the obvious starter much sooner, seemingly over not wanting to lose face because he had been caught on film promising Zaire in a very emotional moment that he wouldn't lose his starting job.... that was bad, that was fairly egregious. In my estimation at least....

I meant the Lou Gehrig analogy to be taken metaphorically, not literally. That is, a young, rising star is pushed into the starting lineup by a confluence of luck and unanticipated circumstances, and he seizes the opportunity and goes on to have a HOF career. That's all. With all the guys here criticizing the hire, I was just trying to generate some excitement and optimism for it. I wasn't a fan of all the doom and gloom.

I meant the Lou Gehrig analogy to be taken metaphorically, not literally. That is, a young, rising star is pushed into the starting lineup by a confluence of luck and unanticipated circumstances, and he seizes the opportunity and goes on to have a HOF career. That's all. With all the guys here criticizing the hire, I was just trying to generate some excitement and optimism for it. I wasn't a fan of all the doom and gloom.
Okay, fine. Whatever. It's just not very similar, it's not similar enough to invoke. First of all you're minimizing BK by comparing him to the long-forgotten afterthought that is Wally Pipp. And BK is nothing like that, he's ND's all-time winning coach, three-time coach's Heisman winner and I would presume first-ballot CFB HOF inductee as a coach.

So there's that. And it's also just a little much, and not really appropriate to invoke Lou Gehrig either, as much of a comparison to Marcus Freeman. There's just nothing there. But I will try to think some very successful coach who started out just like MF. I must admit Dabo Swinnery is not a half-bad comparison....

If it makes you feel any better, I love the hire, I'm stoked about Marcus Freeman. I have high hopes, though of course there's a ton of unknowns, as well as particular traits about the guy that give you pause, and make you wonder if he's going to be in over his head. But overall I'm totally excited, and am looking forward to next season.

I just wish, I know it's a broken record, that we could wipe the slate clean and have an all-new team, all-new dynamic, all-new direction, all new offense and defense. No real offense to Tommy Rees, but why limit ourselves? We're taking a big chance as it is, and let's go all the way with it! To say nothing of the notion that it's effectively a conservative, even wise thing to do, to bring in an older, much more experienced, presumably just plain better OC, so that the offense is in ostensibly safe hands. In addition to bringing in all kinds of hopefully new, modern schemes and tactics. Rather than continuing with BK's effective but pedestrian offense....

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good. Psalms 14:1 I wonder, what was David trying to sell?
I’ve no idea what he was selling. I wasn’t there.

But it sounds like his PRODUCT was FAITH.

Was he sincere? Possibly.

Was the scribe who actually wrote down the words sincere? Possibly.

Were the translators who reworked those words from Hebrew to Greek to Latin to English – and that’s tons of WIGGLE ROOM – sincere? Possibly.

But then, there’s never been provable evidence which is why it’s called FAITH, not CERTAINTY.

Yet, they continue to transact to this day.

“Believe” me or not, THEY’RE SELLING IT.

Well I like Marcus Freeman. I truly mean that, even though, maybe it will be a disastrous hire.

But it's not just not comparable to Lou Gehrig. It just isn't at all.....

Okay, fine. Whatever. It's just not very similar, it's not similar enough to invoke. First of all you're minimizing BK by comparing him to the long-forgotten afterthought that is Wally Pipp. And BK is nothing like that, he's ND's all-time winning coach, three-time coach's Heisman winner and I would presume first-ballot CFB HOF inductee as a coach.

So there's that. And it's also just a little much, and not really appropriate to invoke Lou Gehrig either, as much of a comparison to Marcus Freeman. There's just nothing there. But I will try to think some very successful coach who started out just like MF. I must admit Dabo Swinnery is not a half-bad comparison....

If it makes you feel any better, I love the hire, I'm stoked about Marcus Freeman. I have high hopes, though of course there's a ton of unknowns, as well as particular traits about the guy that give you pause, and make you wonder if he's going to be in over his head. But overall I'm totally excited, and am looking forward to next season.

I just wish, I know it's a broken record, that we could wipe the slate clean and have an all-new team, all-new dynamic, all-new direction, all new offense and defense. No real offense to Tommy Rees, but why limit ourselves? We're taking a big chance as it is, and let's go all the way with it! To say nothing of the notion that it's effectively a conservative, even wise thing to do, to bring in an older, much more experienced, presumably just plain better OC, so that the offense is in ostensibly safe hands. In addition to bringing in all kinds of hopefully new, modern schemes and tactics. Rather than continuing with BK's effective but pedestrian offense....
"he's ND's all-time winning coach"

To be fair, Kelly's has ND's all-time loss record as coach as well.
Some always forget that part.

Reactions: Kelso86
"he's ND's all-time winning coach"

To be fair, Kelly's has ND's all-time loss record as coach as well.
Some always forget that part.
That’s a simple function of total games coached.

His winning percentage is very good.

Wins and losses are a function of total games coached.
His winning percentage ranks 10th all time at ND. As you say, pretty good.
How does his winning percentage rank with coaches with a minimum of 50 games ?

Better than pretty good !

He went 4-8 one year. Something like that doesn't help. I easily give him the first two seasons, inheriting the shithole from Weis. But the two years after 2012 when Golson was suddenly suspended were lost years. BK's gotta take the responsibility for that of course, but I do feel for him. That was a real blow. And the collapse in the 2nd half of 2014 was just tragic. Almost like after we got robbed by FSU, and should have been #1 in the country, Everett Golson finally ran out of will to win. It certainly wasn't a picturesque career for him at ND, when he was BK's first prize QB recruit....

Anyway, those two seasons also hurt BK in the W/L pct. area. And then of course the last four years are straight bullion!

Thread title addresses a scary thought: Lou Gehrig died before turning 38, while Marcus Freeman is already 36. Also, Gary Cooper is no longer around to play Marcus in a movie.

Krishnamurti: Belief is a PREMATURE CONCLUSION.

I agree with that which is why I DON'T BELIEVE IN BELIEF in ANY instance. And I don't draw conclusions as to outcomes.

I only know what appears to make sense in a given situation. Sometimes, I'm right, and sometimes, I'm wrong. Either way, it proves nothing. No one KNOWS how anything will turn out. And ROOTING doesn't make it so or no.

People who say otherwise are most likely trying to SELL YOU SOMETHING.

Whoa, 4-4-3, please don't take this as a criticism, but from where I sit you seem to live in a rather dystopian world. Or at least one that is devoid of hope and faith. While I understand it is foolish to believe in things you know are not true, what is so wrong with believing in something you hope is true? If you have decided to live in a world that is predicated on certainty, can there be any room for faith? After all, isn't faith the absence of certainty? Or as Anne Lamott wrote: "The opposite of faith is not doubt, it's certainty."

Thanks for the reference to Krishnamurti. I consider myself to be reasonably well read, but I had never heard of him before. I will have to look into his works. Or will I also find his world view too bleak?

Reactions: Kelso86
Well, maybe that is one part of the Lou Gehrig story we all hope isn't repeated.
Yeah, that's most certainly true. I'm confident in presuming we all hope and pray that death from an incurable wasting disease does not befall MF, in like, two years from now....

Again let me compliment you on what a great analogy this was....

Well, maybe that is one part of the Lou Gehrig story we all hope isn't repeated.
I found your comparison interesting if not exactly parallel, at any rate my previous response was just a joke. BTW, did you know the first major league park that Lou Gehrig hit a home run in? The surprise answer is Wrigley Field. As a 17 year old high schooler playing in an All Star game, Lou Gehrig hit a grand slam, leading his Commerce High School squad to a victory over Chicago's Lane Tech.

7th all time at ND with 50 games coached, if you include the vacated wins by the NCAA.

Still, like you say, pretty good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT