ADVERTISEMENT

Why was TSU on the schedule?

11NCs

ND Expert
Mar 4, 2011
After a week of ad nausea spin about how wonderful it is to have TSU on the schedule, it all makes sense now. Under Armour.

Reactions: Airzee23
There is no doubt that TSU wasn't anything more than a glorified scrimmage. But as an alumnus of ND, I have no problem with the fact that, for the first time in its long history, ND put a HBCU on its schedule. You can be sure the game meant something for TSU, not only monetarily, but symbolically. I have a feeling the TSU players and its fans who came up for the game will remember forever the chance they got to play in an historic stadium against one of the true bluebloods of college football. While the game wasn't competitive, it was an experience that the TSU players and fans aren't likely to forget. I see nothing wrong with that.

I'd have preferred Grambling. Much more history there

for the fans , it was about football. For the administrators who put this game together it was more than “ just a football game”. Symbolically this game meant a lot to both schools. Plus , do not discount the fact that from a marketing perspective, this was a good look for ND. Just my opinion here , but I think recruiting wise, this game will help. Again, only my personal opinion.

There is no doubt that TSU wasn't anything more than a glorified scrimmage. But as an alumnus of ND, I have no problem with the fact that, for the first time in its long history, ND put a HBCU on its schedule. You can be sure the game meant something for TSU, not only monetarily, but symbolically. I have a feeling the TSU players and its fans who came up for the game will remember forever the chance they got to play in an historic stadium against one of the true bluebloods of college football. While the game wasn't competitive, it was an experience that the TSU players and fans aren't likely to forget. I see nothing wrong with that.
If they want symbolism play at their stadium. Now we have lost another tradition.

I see nothing to gain by playing this game or any FCS schools. My personal opinion is the NCAA should not allow these games to be played. JMHO

Reactions: Airzee23
Not to beat a dead horse, but Eddie George's post-game comments make clear how big a deal it was for his team to get a chance to play ND at ND Stadium:

“Hopefully we get to see more opportunities like that. Not just us, but other HBCUs to play brands like this. It’s great exposure, It’s a great environment. This is something our kids will talk about for a lifetime. To come to this stadium, I believe it was sold-out, to play Notre Dame in September, it’s something they will talk about for a lifetime. The outcome was what it was, but they played hard and never gave up. That’s something they can take for the rest of their life.”

After a week of ad nausea spin about how wonderful it is to have TSU on the schedule, it all makes sense now. Under Armour.
All about the “playing a HBCU” so Jenkins can pat himself of the back

However the game itself was the same as the SEC and Big have been doing for a couple decades

I was ok with it

I see nothing to gain by playing this game or any FCS schools. My personal opinion is the NCAA should not allow these games to be played. JMHO
I agree with your first sentence.

The NCAA has nothing to do with scheduling

All about the “playing a HBCU” so Jenkins can pat himself of the back

However the game itself was the same as the SEC and Big have been doing for a couple decades

I was ok with it
I wish you would leave Ft Jenkins out of this. Has nothing to do with him and I’m sure he could care less who ND plays.

Reactions: PHJIndy
I don't like having teams like this on the schedule. It lowers us to the same level as most of the football factories; scheduling patsies that will NEVER be in a position to give them a real game.

The NCAA could absolutely influence scheduling, just like the other myriad of things they control; to think otherwise is naive
Cite that portion of the NCAA’s charter that gives them the authority over individual team scheduling !

The NCAA has no governing authority when it comes to determining individual team schedules !

The NCAA could absolutely influence scheduling, just like the other myriad of things they control; to think otherwise is naive

Nope. The NCAA has very limited powers. There is no way the schools or conferences would vote to allow the NCAA to take over their scheduling.

Almost every team that wins the NC has at least two or more directional-type schools on their schedules. It makes no sense for ND to have a schedule with 12 ranked teams. Going 9-3 against the 12 other best teams in college football isn't getting you into the playoffs. This is the new reality and I'm happy ND is getting it.

We just need to take care of business. A 12-0 ND team will be in the playoffs as long as we have 4-6 ranked teams on the schedule.

Nope. The NCAA has very limited powers. There is no way the schools or conferences would vote to allow the NCAA to take over their scheduling.
Disagree. I'm not saying anything about taking over scheduling, I'm saying they could apply influence over scheduling FCS schools; similar to many other things in their control; 85 scholarships, 20 hours a week etc. There are things they could do to apply influence over that decision

Disagree. I'm not saying anything about taking over scheduling, I'm saying they could apply influence over scheduling FCS schools; similar to many other things in their control; 85 scholarships, 20 hours a week etc. There are things they could do to apply influence over that decision
No, they can’t influence scheduling because the NCAA Constitution doesn’t permit it.

The NCAA has no governing authority over scheduling, that’s left to the individual teams, ergo the NCAA can’t influence scheduling.

Cite the NCAA document that substantiates your claim

More importantly read the NCAA Constitution and you’ll see that they don’t have the governing authority to influence scheduling.

Last edited:
Dude what is your problem. Cite the by-law that says they can't
You’re beyond stupid.
The NCAA specifically delegates that task, scheduling, to the individual institutions, ergo the NCAA ceded scheduling to the individual institutions which automatically precludes the NCAA from being involved in scheduling.

Hopefully, someone will explain to you what the word “control” means

“Institutional Control. It is the responsibility of each member institution to monitor and control its athletic programs and to provide education and training to ensure compliance with the rules established by the Association, its division and conference. It is the responsibility of each member institution to report all rules violations to its respective NCAA division and conference in a timely manner and to cooperate fully with enforcement efforts. Responsibility for maintaining institutional control ultimately rests with the institution’s campus president or chancellor.”

The NCAA would need broad support to outlaw scheduling FCS schools. As of now, they do not have it.

Maybe when the major teams break off into a national playoff division (2030?). But not until then.

The NCAA would need broad support to outlaw scheduling FCS schools. As of now, they do not have it.

Maybe when the major teams break off into a national playoff division (2030?). But not until then.
They will argue that the FCS schools sometimes rise to the occasion like App State over Michigan!

Freeman had influence in getting this done and to help out George and TSU athletic dept.

Reactions: PHJIndy
You’re beyond stupid.
The NCAA specifically delegates that task, scheduling, to the individual institutions, ergo the NCAA ceded scheduling to the individual institutions which automatically precludes the NCAA from being involved in scheduling.

Hopefully, someone will explain to you what the word “control” means

“Institutional Control. It is the responsibility of each member institution to monitor and control its athletic programs and to provide education and training to ensure compliance with the rules established by the Association, its division and conference. It is the responsibility of each member institution to report all rules violations to its respective NCAA division and conference in a timely manner and to cooperate fully with enforcement efforts. Responsibility for maintaining institutional control ultimately rests with the institution’s campus president or chancellor.”
And someone should explain to you what the words ammend and change mean. And yes **** you again. GTFU

And someone should explain to you what the words ammend and change mean. And yes **** you again. GTFU
You’re too stupid to understand that it’s the Presidents/Chancellors of the colleges/universities that make up the board that would have to vote to forfeit their College’s/University’s right to schedule their games and then cede the authority to schedule games over to the NCAA.

So while you’re too stupid to understand the structure and protocols involved in the governance of NCAA the words “amend” and “change” are irrelevant in the context of having the NCAA being put in charge of scheduling or influencing the scheduling of games.

You’re too stupid to understand that it’s the Presidents/Chancellors of the colleges/universities that make up the board that would have to vote to forfeit their College’s/University’s right to schedule their games and then cede the authority to schedule games over to the NCAA.

So while you’re too stupid to understand the structure and protocols involved in the governance of NCAA the words “amend” and “change” are irrelevant in the context of having the NCAA being put in charge of scheduling or influencing the scheduling of games.
Continue being the asshole you obviously are

Reactions: Golson5
Almost every team that wins the NC has at least two or more directional-type schools on their schedules. It makes no sense for ND to have a schedule with 12 ranked teams. Going 9-3 against the 12 other best teams in college football isn't getting you into the playoffs. This is the new reality and I'm happy ND is getting it.

We just need to take care of business. A 12-0 ND team will be in the playoffs as long as we have 4-6 ranked teams on the schedule.
So true!

It's 2023. The ideas that ND is only going to play P5 blueblood programs and not use the transfer portal for to win immediately are as outdated as the arguments we used to hear about not having artificial turf. ND is going to keep up with the game in every way that doesn't effect their integrity or academics whether people like it or not.

Why was TSU on the schedule?"​

Mainly, because once the Navy game was announced 2 years ago that they were playing in Ireland in Week 0 and not the 1st weekend in September -- ND was left with a gaping hole in the schedule for 9.1.2023 -- so, does ND take a bye week and basically have 3 byes in 2023, or schedule someone?
And, knowing most, if not all D1 programs had a game 9.1.2023 (and, as you know, most schedule 8-10 years out) -- that put ND in a bind opponent wise --

Step up TSU!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT