ADVERTISEMENT

Where the clowns at tonight!

NyyorkerND

Irish Guard
Nov 3, 2010
Coaches put their players in postions to succeed more often than not. So keep that smae energy. I'm so sick of some of our fan base with their bs agenda as to why so and so got hired. Is Freeman the answer I don't know, but I'll give him 3 years until I say what I think. This game to game bs is for the birds.

Coaches put their players in postions to succeed more often than not. So keep that smae energy. I'm so sick of some of our fan base with their bs agenda as to why so and so got hired. Is Freeman the answer I don't know, but I'll give him 3 years until I say what I think. This game to game bs is for the birds.
The defense certainly put the offense in a position to succeed

I get what the OP is saying. The board activity was through the roof last Saturday and if we are all being honest it was a sad display of dog whistle racist posts about Freeman & even a few vocal posters that were pretty blunt about their displeasure that ND gave him a shot. This Saturday we crush our biggest rival & the board was damn near dead last night.

I get what the OP is saying. The board activity was through the roof last Saturday and if we are all being honest it was a sad display of dog whistle racist posts about Freeman & even a few vocal posters that were pretty blunt about their displeasure that ND gave him a shot. This Saturday we crush our biggest rival & the board was damn near dead last night.
Its a shame when it comes to that. Emotions have away of bringing what ones thinking out loud. I'm sure guilty of that

The offense did what they needed to do on all the short field opportunities the defense gave them. So, credit Estime and Hartman, the OL. They sputtered when given a long field, except for the TD pass to Tyree, which was great to see for both Hartman and Tyree.

Hartman was 13-20, with two perfect throws that were drops, with our slot and TE and RB’s accounting for nearly 100% of the passing game, and our wide receivers damn near non existent.

Given the relatively short time of possession due to the play of our defense, and the multiple short field opportunities, it’s really hard to judge the play of our offense. The one stat that jumps out to me is our OL only allowed one sack, against a USC team that averages nearly four a game. Visually, I felt our OL dominated their DL and both Coogan and Rocco were aggressive with run blocking, and both showed huge improvement in pass blocking.

I would have preferred a bye week for this team earlier than this upcoming week, but its a critical opportunity to rest and get healed, while working on changes necessary to get this offense playing at a much higher level. I continue to believe that Love needs to get double digit touches; Faison needs to be a favorite target; and we need to add James to the mix of Faison and Tyree on shots down the field, etc…. We have limited elite speed and we need to use it more effectively to open up our running game, and to take advantage of Hartman’s skill set. Great win over USC last night, but it Was not a breakout night for our offense, which we need going forward to win out.

Fair

Hey, if you were around back in the Ty years, you'd remember the SAME dog-whistle posts from some of the board, even as others defended the fact that he was given three years and played more golf than coached the team

Reactions: Extirpate 6951
Hey, if you were around back in the Ty years, you'd remember the SAME dog-whistle posts from some of the board, even as others defended the fact that he was given three years and played more golf than coached the team
Freeman is objectively so much better than Ty was. Those were the first ND teams I followed really, and I remember it just felt hopeless.

ND had a good game plan and it was executed well.

The kinks in USC, both offensively and defensively were being revealed week after week.
They have issues. They have off the field issues. The staff is not a team, a collection of coaches all with self interests.

I don’t agree about the posts being racist.

I objected to his hire due to his lack of experience at the Head Coaching position, and I believe many others felt the same way.

Compounding the issue was ND’s history of hiring HC’s with no prior HC experience resulting in disastrous results

The price of his inexperience became self evident in the last few minutes of the OSU game.

i believe that the MAJOR flaw in almost all boards is the disproportionate number of posts that just bitch, with many borne out of total ignorance, versus those posts that offer “constructive criticism”

Without “constructive criticism“, progress is impossible !

”Constructive criticism“ is invaluable !

The offense did what they needed to do on all the short field opportunities the defense gave them. So, credit Estime and Hartman, the OL. They sputtered when given a long field, except for the TD pass to Tyree, which was great to see for both Hartman and Tyree.

Hartman was 13-20, with two perfect throws that were drops, with our slot and TE and RB’s accounting for nearly 100% of the passing game, and our wide receivers damn near non existent.

Given the relatively short time of possession due to the play of our defense, and the multiple short field opportunities, it’s really hard to judge the play of our offense. The one stat that jumps out to me is our OL only allowed one sack, against a USC team that averages nearly four a game. Visually, I felt our OL dominated their DL and both Coogan and Rocco were aggressive with run blocking, and both showed huge improvement in pass blocking.

I would have preferred a bye week for this team earlier than this upcoming week, but its a critical opportunity to rest and get healed, while working on changes necessary to get this offense playing at a much higher level. I continue to believe that Love needs to get double digit touches; Faison needs to be a favorite target; and we need to add James to the mix of Faison and Tyree on shots down the field, etc…. We have limited elite speed and we need to use it more effectively to open up our running game, and to take advantage of Hartman’s skill set. Great win over USC last night, but it Was not a breakout night for our offense, which we need going forward to win out.
👍

Agreed 100%. Notre Dame is the same team that almost beat OSU the same team that lost to Louisville the same team that almost lost to Duke and the team that beat usc last night. They are all of their performance combined. and all of it combined makes them a team ranked somewhere in the 10 to 15th range. And all of it makes them a team that is still not good enough to compete for anything remarkable at the highest level of the sport

Reactions: 4-4-3
For ND to be successful the rest of the way the OC needs to game plan way better than he has. ND D has carried them every game to give the OC multiple opportunities that were squandered. I know he doesn't have much experience at OC but with a schedule like ND's , they need a proven coach unless he improves and soon.

he will say Williams had a terrible game and that is the only reason we won
He was flustered by the continual onslaught of blitzes and coverages. Plus he's not use to being contained. I laughed so hard when he tried to rip the ball from his running back's hands , so he could try to make a play and caused them both to get swarmed for a loss. Williams got lucky doing that once at Oklahoma and it failed miserably against ND. He was frustrated-ranting at teammates on sideline. I imagine he was,"You're all making me look bad". lol

Reactions: 4-4-3
Agreed 100%. Notre Dame is the same team that almost beat OSU the same team that lost to Louisville the same team that almost lost to Duke and the team that beat usc last night. They are all of their performance combined. and all of it combined makes them a team ranked somewhere in the 10 to 15th range. And all of it makes them a team that is still not good enough to compete for anything remarkable at the highest level of the sport
You remain a F- poster

Freeman is objectively so much better than Ty was. Those were the first ND teams I followed really, and I remember it just felt hopeless.
Willingham can be given credit for one thing and that is dragging ND out of the '70s (option offense) to the mid-80s (west coast offense). But after the dead cat bounce of his first 8 or 9 games, the team pretty much flatlined.

I think objectively you can say that he left some raw material on offense for Weis to work with. And I say that because I really don't know if Weis would have had those first couple of good seasons if he had nothing but an option QB and a walk-on as Willingham did.

But Willingham didn't know how to recruit. He focused on a few key players and if he whiffed, he had no fallback options

He also had that annoying tendency to get annihilated in big games and shrug it off as if it was the same thing as a one-point loss. I think he lost all three USC games he coached by 31 points. That's the same margin as the '74 game, which has always been considered one of the darkest days in modern ND football history.

It was posted here as common knowledge that he spent more time on the golf course than he did coaching, but I tend to think that is more urban legend than truth.

Reactions: ticat
The comparison is apples to oranges. Ty was an experienced HC and he failed on Saturdays and in recruiting. MF on the other hand is learning from his mistakes and is recruiting really well.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Chase, 4-4-3, and all the other critics of MF disappear.
Not quite !

Al Golden’s defensive game plan and defensive play calling and the entire defense won that game.

There were mistakes on MF’s part that got overlooked by the margin of victory,
having 14 players on the field was one of them

That’s your benchmark, Ty Willingham ?

You should set higher standards !

All credit to Freeman for last night. HE LED.

I'm one of his harsher critics and someone still REVIEWING THE EVIDENCE seeing as how this TRIAL is by no means over.

Last week wasn't the end of the world, and this week isn't NECESSARILY some NEW BEGINNING or LEARNING QUANTUM LEAP. Maybe yes, maybe no.

The main thing is CONSISTENCY. To win an NC you basically have to win EVERY GAME -- though maybe you get one stumble. ND IS STILL STUMBLING. And that's not a criticism but a FACT. What matters for Freeman is that his team not STUMBLE SIGNIFICANTLY the rest of the way.

At the same time, ND has played well enough this season to win 75% of its games with at times FLASHES OF BRILLIANCE on both sides of the ball. And now on SPECIAL TEAMS. That runback was the TURNING POINT as Riley noted himself. By the way, that kid needs carries.

But now, ND must FINISH. After Gerry Faust's 1982 team went 6-1-1 after DEMOLISHING #1 Pitt at Pitt 31-16, it LOST ITS FINAL THREE GAMES. Talk about DEFLATION.

BUT THAT WAS GERRY FAUST.

WHO IS MARCUS FREEMAN?

Teams are a REFLECTION of their coaches. And that's probably almost as SCIENTIFICALLY TRUE as it is POETIC.

Freeman at times has looked LOST, RAW and in the WRONG JOB. Last night, he looked DETERMINED, COMPETENT and FIERY. His post game on-field interview was EXCELLENT and free of WORD SALAD. Can he now build on that? Or will he experience one or two more LETDOWNS this season?

We'll see. HE'S IN THE CRUCIBLE.

I wish him well, but he still has to DO IT.

Reactions: ftnfan62
He was flustered by the continual onslaught of blitzes and coverages. Plus he's not use to being contained. I laughed so hard when he tried to rip the ball from his running back's hands , so he could try to make a play and caused them both to get swarmed for a loss. Williams got lucky doing that once at Oklahoma and it failed miserably against ND. He was frustrated-ranting at teammates on sideline. I imagine he was,"You're all making me look bad". lol
DON'T CARE FOR THE DUDE AT ALL.

PRIMA DONNA CITY.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
For ND to be successful the rest of the way the OC needs to game plan way better than he has. ND D has carried them every game to give the OC multiple opportunities that were squandered. I know he doesn't have much experience at OC but with a schedule like ND's , they need a proven coach unless he improves and soon.
I readily admit I don't know as some posters do about the various factors that go into making an offense tick, but last night, I saw pitches, screens, counters, and all the kinds of things people said the offense needed. They just didn't all work. Prior to that, everyone was saying we have to pound Estime into the line over and over and over. We saw how that worked against Louisville. I just think maybe some of it has to do with the quality of the players trying to execute that offense.

Reactions: nptb
All credit to Freeman for last night. HE LED.

I'm one of his harsher critics and someone still REVIEWING THE EVIDENCE seeing as how this TRIAL is by no means over.

Last week wasn't the end of the world, and this week isn't NECESSARILY some NEW BEGINNING or LEARNING QUANTUM LEAP. Maybe yes, maybe no.

The main thing is CONSISTENCY. To win an NC you basically have to win EVERY GAME -- though maybe you get one stumble. ND IS STILL STUMBLING. And that's not a criticism but a FACT. What matters for Freeman is that his team not STUMBLE SIGNIFICANTLY the rest of the way.

At the same time, ND has played well enough this season to win 75% of its games with at times FLASHES OF BRILLIANCE on both sides of the ball. And now on SPECIAL TEAMS. That runback was the TURNING POINT as Riley noted himself. By the way, that kid needs carries.

But now, ND must FINISH. After Gerry Faust's 1982 team went 6-1-1 after DEMOLISHING #1 Pitt at Pitt 31-16, it LOST ITS FINAL THREE GAMES. Talk about DEFLATION.

BUT THAT WAS GERRY FAUST.

WHO IS MARCUS FREEMAN?

Teams are a REFLECTION of their coaches. And that's probably almost as SCIENTIFICALLY TRUE as it is POETIC.

Freeman at times has looked LOST, RAW and in the WRONG JOB. Last night, he looked DETERMINED, COMPETENT and FIERY. His post game on-field interview was EXCELLENT and free of WORD SALAD. Can he now build on that? Or will he experience one or two more LETDOWNS this season?

We'll see. HE'S IN THE CRUCIBLE.

I wish him well, but he still has to DO IT.
I thought he was great when he called out his 3 players for costing us 3 points @ the 1/2.

I thought he was great when he called out his 3 players for costing us 3 points @ the 1/2.
He looked seriously pissed off about that as he left the field for halftime.

Watts, for all his heroics, got careless when he returned the fumble for a TD and almost got it knocked out of his hands.

Then, of course, you have the Jumbotron. I think it was Staes who had a key fourth quarter catch and you could see him turning around to watch the replay before lining up for the next play.

Reactions: ticat
Top 10. They’re a Top 10 program over the past decade.

Not quite !

Al Golden’s defensive game plan and defensive play calling and the entire defense won that game.

That could have happened to anyone because USC went fast up to the line and caught ND substituting.

MF also called a timeout at the end of the half preventing ND getting called for offsides and possibly worse, USC getting a free play and scoring an easy TD.

I know there have been mistakes, but MF is learning, and he currently has more top 10 wins in the last two years than ND has had in the previous 12 years.

Not quite !

14 beats the hell out of 10 coming out of a timeout against Ohio St. with the game on the line.

One of the better, more level headed posters on this board.

Wish we had more like you.

Not quite !

Who brought in Golden and is the leader of the team?

The team came out ready to play from snap 1 and never let up

Reactions: NDinNJ
That could have happened to anyone because USC went fast up to the line and caught ND substituting.

MF also called a timeout at the end of the half preventing ND getting called for offsides and possibly worse, USC getting a free play and scoring an easy TD. Absolutely not, there was no time left on the clock, but the half can’t end on a defensive penalty, so USC could only kick a FG from 5 yards closer, ergo, USC ended up with the same 3 points via their FG

I know there have been mistakes, but MF is learning, and he currently has more top 10 wins in the last two years than ND has had in the previous 12 years. You need to jog your memory, that’s absolutely not true ! That’s a false narrative created by MF aficionados !

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT