ADVERTISEMENT

When your transfers are going to Bama and OSU

graceh90

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Jan 17, 2006
for playing time, could it be a sign that your talent pool is trending in the right direction? ND transfers used to go to MAC schools to play.

Or are some of the better players (on offense in particular) transferring because they lack confidence in the new OC?

Our former backup QB is going to try and be the man at Alabama. Strange days indeed.

Reactions: d1042
He wasn’t a ‘former’ backup. ND coaches decided on a one year lease rather than a 3 year investment, strange times indeed.
Some people are convinced Hartman is the answer to all of NDs problems; he's the magic unicorn we've all been waiting for at QB who is going to patch up all the holes in NDs program and somehow crank it up a notch and magically turn ND into a tier 1 program (against all logic mind you)

So in their delusional state of mind, watching Buchner walk, a top 100 prospect with several years of eligibility left, in place of a 10th year college QB with little upside on a 1-year rental is no big deal.

Last edited:
Some people are convinced Hartman is the answer to all of NDs problems; he's the magic unicorn we've all been waiting for at QB who is going to patch up all the holes in NDs program and somehow crank it up a notch and magically turn ND into a tier 1 program (against all logic mind you)

So in their delusional state of mind, watching Buchner walk, a top 100 prospect with several years of eligibility left, in place of a 10th year college QB with little upside on a 1-year rental is no big deal.

Hartman is a garden variety 4 star transfer with limited upside and no NFL future. Probably Pyne with more arm strength but less efficiency and a relatively minor upgrade overall.
Yeah absolutely no one said that. But we are willing to say Hartman is already as good as any qb in the Kelly era and could do better.

I was listening to a Wake Forest podcast after the Hartman transfer where they had a local team of media/analyst on; their overwhelming sentiment of the Hartman departure was that they were appreciative of the time served and the production to keep things running, but were really happy to see said player move on because they were hoping someone else on the roster might offer more upside at QB moving forward.

Sound pretty familiar? Kind of how ND fans were feeling about the departures of Book, Coan, Pyne, etc.

Last edited:
I don’t know I think most of CFB has “Joe Burrow Syndrome” I think he was a two year rental but you get the idea. Every program is looking for that magic bullet.

Just like a lot of NFL teams have “Tom Brady Syndrome” every qb will play at a high level until 45. (Looking at you Jets) remember Peyton Miannings arm fell off at 39.

Reactions: chaseball

🤪🤪🤪🤪

Reactions: BGI User 756
for playing time, could it be a sign that your talent pool is trending in the right direction? ND transfers used to go to MAC schools to play.

Or are some of the better players (on offense in particular) transferring because they lack confidence in the new OC?
We’ll find out in 5 months…. I personally think Buchner is not good and diggs is slightly overrated. I think they both believe they’re significantly better than they are. If I’m right, they won’t do well and ND will. If I’m wrong, and they blow up and do great, we may have some major coaching issues.

I was listening to a Wake Forest podcast after the Hartman transfer where they had a local team of media/analyst on; their overwhelming sentiment of the Hartman departure was that they were appreciative of the time served and the production to keep things running, but were really happy to see said player move on because they were hoping someone else on the roster might offer more upside at QB moving forward.

Sound pretty familiar? Kind of how ND fans were feeling about the departures of Book, Coan, Pyne, etc.
I mean wake forest fans would know, given their rich football history.

If you can’t see how much better Hartman is than Buchner then I don’t know what your are watching. Marshall. Marshall!! Turnover machine vs USC bowl game replacements. More of the same problems in the BG scrimmage. You wanted to start this guy this year?

Was that podcast from your basement?

UNC coach that I know thinks SH is damn good and was a huge loss for WF. Not sure how any can’t admit that

If you can’t see how much better Hartman is than Buchner then I don’t know what your are watching. Marshall. Marshall!! Turnover machine vs USC bowl game replacements. More of the same problems in the BG scrimmage. You wanted to start this guy this year?
Don't forget, this is the same guy that thought Swarbrick was responsible for the quality of players on the roster--like he's a GM instead of an AD...he knows nothing about college football except what he hears on podcasts from Wake Forest

Two things: Hartman is an upgrade for one year over Buchner. The receiving corps will actually get reps. Second: The odds of an injury at quarterback are better. Addition by subtraction. Had Hartman not come to ND....we would be screwed just as soon as Buchner ran into a buzz saw.

It blows my mind that there’s a minority on the board that is seems almost angry we brought in Hartman. Their reasoning is “Buchner was a top 100 recruit.” Uhhh, who cares? Recruiting rankings overrate kids all the time.

It’s almost impossible to know if a kid has “peaked” in high school or will continue to progress and improve.

JT Daniel’s was the next coming of Christ.
5 star. Will Levis was the #31 ranked QB out of high school. Daniel’s is playing at Rice next year and Levis is in the NFL.

I hope Buchner progresses into a great QB, but he hasn’t shown anything at ND to indicate that’s happening. It appears he’s shown some ability in practice. Idk about the rest of you but I don’t care if we go undefeated in practice. *insert Iverson practice rant*

I just want to beat Ohio State & Marshall.

A loser.

What the F are you talking about? God damn does this board have a effed-up collection of losers and trolls. On the one hand, we have sjb, our total psycho, weirdo phony ND lickspittle, who couldn't be any more obviously deeply disturbed. And then we have you on other end of the spectrum somewhere, with your unrelenting pseudo intellectual/high-tech takes on ND's various failings and whatnot. And for both of you your lust to give your life meaning, respectively, through either constant praising or denigrating ND football, is just unpleasantly palpable....

That's a good one, though. Even Wake Forest is tired of SH. Sorry-ass, no-account Wake Forest and their insignificant, might as well not even exist little football culture.... even they want a better QB than SH, and are kind of glad to see him go.

And so do you have anything else to effin' add to that? Seriously, if you got any more nuggets of that sort let's get them all in one place, like toxic bank loans or something, and we can keep them all in one location, so they don't poison the rest of the economy....

It blows my mind that there’s a minority on the board that is seems almost angry we brought in Hartman. Their reasoning is “Buchner was a top 100 recruit.” Uhhh, who cares? Recruiting rankings overrate kids all the time.

It’s almost impossible to know if a kid has “peaked” in high school or will continue to progress and improve.

JT Daniel’s was the next coming of Christ.
5 star. Will Levis was the #31 ranked QB out of high school. Daniel’s is playing at Rice next year and Levis is in the NFL.

I hope Buchner progresses into a great QB, but he hasn’t shown anything at ND to indicate that’s happening. It appears he’s shown some ability in practice. Idk about the rest of you but I don’t care if we go undefeated in practice. *insert Iverson practice rant*

I just want to beat Ohio State & Marshall.
Christ or Crist ?

Funny that the SEC has become a dumping ground for ND cast-offs (players AND coaches!) He-he.

What the F are you talking about? God damn does this board have a effed-up collection of losers and trolls. On the one hand, we have sjb, our total psycho, weirdo phony ND lickspittle, who couldn't be any more obviously deeply disturbed. And then we have you on other end of the spectrum somewhere, with your unrelenting pseudo intellectual/high-tech takes on ND's various failings and whatnot. And for both of you your lust to give your life meaning, respectively, through either constant praising or denigrating ND football, is just unpleasantly palpable....

That's a good one, though. Even Wake Forest is tired of SH. Sorry-ass, no-account Wake Forest and their insignificant, might as well not even exist little football culture.... even they want a better QB than SH, and are kind of glad to see him go.

And so do you have anything else to effin' add to that? Seriously, if you got any more nuggets of that sort let's get them all in one place, like toxic bank loans or something, and we can keep them all in one location, so they don't poison the rest of the economy....
Lol. Shows how delusional people are. When the **** is Wake ever going to get another Hartman? NEVER.

Players have always been willing to wait their turn for playing time at schools like Texas, Bama, USC, etc. They aren’t willing to wait at ND. It has been that way for a long time.

Reactions: 4-4-3 and chaseball
He wasn’t a ‘former’ backup. ND coaches decided on a one year lease rather than a 3 year investment, strange times indeed.
TB was going on year three. He’s not a top flight QB. In fact he’s another turnover machine.

TB was going on year three. He’s not a top flight QB. In fact he’s another turnover machine.
He’s never going to be an NFL talent. Bama might view him as a stick mover. He’s got a degree of Tebow in there somewhere. That said, I think he ends up at Stanford or SDSU.

Bama fans ain’t putting up with that shit. They’re way worse than ND fans.

Reactions: Airzee23
Buchner will end up at San Diego State before long. Styles won’t see the field. Both made a big mistake.
I agree. I think that’s where his talent level should’ve taken him. But I understand what he’s doing. Why not hit the lottery ticket in the biggest venue? But, In January TB will be at San Diego State where the offense will revolve around him and they’ll go 8-4.

Reactions: IrishBeer
I agree. I think that’s where his talent level should’ve taken him. But I understand what he’s doing. Why not hit the lottery ticket in the biggest venue? But, In January TB will be at San Diego State where the offense will revolve around him and they’ll go 8-4.
Bama is about to have their worst season in the Saban era. I don’t see this QB issue going well. They can’t just run the ball against TN, LSU, Georgia, Ole Miss, Florida. They’re going to have to play keep up with the SEC. TB cannot play Tennessee football and throw 65 yard dimes 5 times a game.

I don’t know I think most of CFB has “Joe Burrow Syndrome” I think he was a two year rental but you get the idea. Every program is looking for that magic bullet.

Just like a lot of NFL teams have “Tom Brady Syndrome” every qb will play at a high level until 45. (Looking at you Jets) remember Peyton Miannings arm fell off at 39.
Agreed with all of this. I was just offering some perspective on the Hartman acquisition. He's a solid QB that is going to keep the position afloat. He's not some impact talent that is going to make up for all the holes on the offensive side of the ball and within the program at large (which some fans are convinced of).

Last edited:
Reactions: scubastevefl
Bama is about to have their worst season in the Saban era. I don’t see this QB issue going well. They can’t just run the ball against TN, LSU, Georgia, Ole Miss, Florida. They’re going to have to play keep up with the SEC. TB cannot play Tennessee football and throw 65 yard dimes 5 times a game.
No chance. They only won 7 his first year

Players have always been willing to wait their turn for playing time at schools like Texas, Bama, USC, etc. They aren’t willing to wait at ND. It has been that way for a long time.
That is false. Those schools have had many transfers over the years.

Bama had 19 last year, and Texas might have had more. And USC, if you watched the game this year which you did because you had ample criticisms…lost dozens…

Reactions: graceh90
WTF is with all the SH haters? I gotta think they're just gearing up for next season. They need their whipping boy, and it looks like it's going to be grad transfer SH, incredibly enough. Who will be the star of the team.

You gotta hand it to these haters, they plan ahead.....

One game does not make a season but when the transfer looks dominate in a spring game after a few weeks and your 3rd year player looks lost I don’t think MF made the wrong call.

Reactions: 4-4-3
Buchner will end up at San Diego State before long. Styles won’t see the field. Both made a big mistake.
My take on all this: TB is injury prone, is an Int and pick six machine ( two against a depleted USC secondary and his passing skill did not progress in three years.
With regards to Dibbs: he is recovering from injury and probably saw the writing on the wall. There must be back channel conversations and $$$$ offered before going to the portal.
From a coaches perspective it is better to buy a sophomore who has shown what he can do than a HS who may have flaws and peaked.
Most of these coaches do not have to look at transcripts nor do they require players to assist relevant courses, go to class, graduate. Most of them do not guarranty a four year ride.

Buchner following Rees to Alabama is pretty self explanatory, but Styles is coming home to OSU as a walk on.. so make of that what you will

We’ll find out in 5 months…. I personally think Buchner is not good and diggs is slightly overrated. I think they both believe they’re significantly better than they are. If I’m right, they won’t do well and ND will. If I’m wrong, and they blow up and do great, we may have some major coaching issues.
Interesting take.

Either ND went for gold with significant impurities, or it didn't have the ability to refine what was actually high-grade ore.

Whichever way that trade goes, ND loses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT