ADVERTISEMENT

What Jack Swarbrick said is 'No. 1' piece in Notre Dame's next media rights deal

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013

NBC signed this when ND was elite.
NBC lost the NFL after the 97 season.
At the time they NEEDED Notre Dame.
They don't NEED ND today.
Now they very well might want to keep ND but ND could realize a lot more leverage than they have now...and they're their own brand...but being competitive at the top again and or god forbid a title would do wonders for an already strongest brand.

JS think network is #1 priority.
Winning needs to be the #1 priority and the rest will take care of itself.

Now they very well might want to keep ND but ND could realize a lot more leverage than they have now...and they're their own brand...but being competitive at the top again and or god forbid a title would do wonders for an already strongest brand.

Unfortunately, can't agree here. The network deal ensures Notre dames independence. Putting a winning product on the field over the last few years with great ratings will ensure Notre Dame gets a solid deal. NBC absolutely needs ND for their Saturday programming. There is no other game in town where they can pay a single entity for college football and not have the expense of sending multiple live crews out to different locations each week. NBC has proven they don't want a huge conference package, but that they DO want college football. Even the contract with the big ten I'd for second rate games on the cheap

NBC will be fine. Notre Dame will be fine. The biggest issue with the tv contract that needs to be discussed is renegotiate periods or escalators based on the average payouts of the big ten and sec schools who will be escalating as they expand over the next ten years.

Personally I hope ND goes out for big and considers things like Amazon Prime, Peacock and Apple TV for a big payday.

Reactions: Kelso86

When it comes to TV, the only thing that matters are the number of eyeballs that tune in to watch the games. The 2021 season ratings saw a significant drop (48%) in viewership. 2022 wasn't much better. Blame the weak schedule in 2021, but 2022 is a little concerning especially with a new HC, but it could be due to the slow start, losses to Marshall and Stanford didn't help.
You better bet NBC executives will be looking at the ratings during negotiations because at the end of the day it's all about $$$.

Reactions: d1042 and Kelso86
Unfortunately, can't agree here. The network deal ensures Notre dames independence. Putting a winning product on the field over the last few years with great ratings will ensure Notre Dame gets a solid deal. NBC absolutely needs ND for their Saturday programming. There is no other game in town where they can pay a single entity for college football and not have the expense of sending multiple live crews out to different locations each week. NBC has proven they don't want a huge conference package, but that they DO want college football. Even the contract with the big ten I'd for second rate games on the cheap

NBC will be fine. Notre Dame will be fine. The biggest issue with the tv contract that needs to be discussed is renegotiate periods or escalators based on the average payouts of the big ten and sec schools who will be escalating as they expand over the next ten years.

Personally I hope ND goes out for big and considers things like Amazon Prime, Peacock and Apple TV for a big payday.
Go to cbs or fox. Nbc isn't the home of cfb.

When it comes to TV, the only thing that matters are the number of eyeballs that tune in to watch the games. The 2021 season ratings saw a significant drop (48%) in viewership. 2022 wasn't much better. Blame the weak schedule in 2021, but 2022 is a little concerning especially with a new HC, but it could be due to the slow start, losses to Marshall and Stanford didn't help.
You better bet NBC executives will be looking at the ratings during negotiations because at the end of the day it's all about $$$.
Maybe it was people getting sick of having to sign up for a different carrier every week. Like peacock , acc network etc just to watch ND football. Jmo

Reactions: 88ND

No on Prime ,Peacock, or Apple TV.

No on Prime ,Peacock, or Apple TV.
Why? Broadcast tv isn't a huge advantage anymore. If Amazon Prime came out and became the new home of ND football and broadcast everything in bright uncompressed 4k and did a preshow it would pay a mint...add in advertising through all the Amazon apps and channels and it could be a huge win

Reactions: chaseball

The brand of Notre Dame, like America, is slowly weakening.

Reactions: chaseball

"Go to cbs or fox. NBC isn't the home of cfb."

Don't look now, but they are creeping in --
Do people here not know NBC bought part of the new-BUG10 contract? Which means the Peacock knew that SC/UCLA were coming on board long before it was announced.

Reactions: Kelso86
Network TV is taking its last breaths along with those of us who are over 40 … todays youth won’t be watching the networks. The traditional networks are dinosaurs and they can’t keep up. My son and all of his friends only watch red zone on Sundays.

Network TV is taking its last breaths along with those of us who are over 40 … todays youth won’t be watching the networks. The traditional networks are dinosaurs and they can’t keep up. My son and all of his friends only watch red zone on Sundays.
“ Cord Cutters”. Sling tv .

They'll get another deal because the cable companies are still in desperation mode when it comes to having original live programming that's a draw. And, dwindling as it may be, ND continues to be enough of a "draw" to pull in a good deal.

After this one though.....I don't see it happening. Enjoy the final years of independence that so many of you obsess over. Because it's just about over.

Some nerd could do us a favor and look at the collective ND rating average on NBC from...
The 90's...
The double odd's...
The 20 teens
And the last two years.

Some nerd could do us a favor and look at the collective ND rating average on NBC from...
The 90's...
The double odd's...
The 20 teens
And the last two years.
NBC had the worst big game ratings because it was only the ND network. Every home and bar got into the habit of turning on ESPN and even FOX every saturday to see who was playing but with NBC they had to make a conscious decision. Maybe that will change now that the BUG is on the Peacock.

Otherwise check the top most watched games of the year and ND is always there once or twice. We don't have a brand recognition problem, we have a brand problem.

I agree, NBC has put a terrible product out for decades IMO. I enjoy the coverage on ABC, CBS, and FOX far more.

NBC telecasts are so dry, boring IMO.
Their HD signal/technology is inferior, their on air talent is amateur relative to others, their commercials are more annoying/intrusive, their products are more expensive (e.g. if there's a way to wring an extra half-cent out of a penny NBC/Comcast would), etc. etc. that entire corporation is the embodiment of modern capitalism run amok in america.

i abhore NBC and yet my love for Notre Dame Football requires me to watch their garbage network. It's only suiting that ND brass would be in bed with them.

Last edited:
They'll get another deal because the cable companies are still in desperation mode when it comes to having original live programming that's a draw. And, dwindling as it may be, ND continues to be enough of a "draw" to pull in a good deal.

After this one though.....I don't see it happening. Enjoy the final years of independence that so many of you obsess over. Because it's just about over.
"Enjoy the final years of independence that so many of you obsess over. Because it's just about over"

OK -- what ever -- they have been saying that for the last 10 years or so -- and yet, ND is still independent.

Their HD signal/technology is inferior, their on air talent is amateur relative to others, their commercials are more annoying/intrusive, their products are more expensive (e.g. if there's a way to wring an extra half-cent out of a penny NBC/Comcast would), etc. etc. that entire corporation is the embodiment of modern capitalism run amok in america.

i arbore NBC and yet my love for Notre Dame Football requires me to watch their garbage network. It's only suiting that ND brass would be in bed with them.
Modern capitalism run amok. Wow...you are a coook. Bet you are a big Bernie Sanders fan! 😂😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT