ADVERTISEMENT

Weis Retiring

TeddyOH

ND Expert
Feb 3, 2004
Ohio
Haven't seen this posted, but Weis gave an interview to the SB Trib and said he would likely not coach again. His head coaching career is over, and not by his own choice. I'm surprised that he would close the door on being a coordinator again. He was just up for the Bears job. Maybe too much baggage at this point.

Then again, why should he have to work. He has the best deal ever, collecting salaries from 2 universities who fired him as head coach.

He got $2.1 million from ND in 2012, so assume a similar amount still due, with his buyout ending at the end of 2015. So still has $2.1M left.

He will get $2.5M annually from Kansas through 2016, for a total of $5.625M left (the buyout amount in his contract).

So Weis has a nice $7M plus coming in for doing absolutely nothing!

Tribune

I would expect CW to return as an OC at some level in the near future. His HCing career might be over but maybe not as an OC. Anyway, let him get healthy if that is a problem and devote more time to "Hannah & Friends". I will always remember CW for "Pass Right".

Reactions: Rockne's Rambler
raise your hand if you saw this after 05/06. Someone will of course, but he'd be lying

Originally posted by irish jack:

Anyway, let him get healthy if that is a problem and devote more time to "Hannah & Friends". I will always remember CW for "Pass Right".
This. CW never came to ND to fleece the University...it just didn't work out.

Gerry Faust, and CW, hopefully ND NEVER AGAIN hires a HC without college HC experience.

Both good people and tried their best but neither one should have ever been placed in the position they were. To take a High School HC and place him as a college HC without ever coaching in college is INSANE. And while some coordinators have made decent HCs the record is very bad with those without HC experience that way. Being a Head Coach at college or the pros is so very different from any assistant or coordinator position that only lame brains would jump right in and do it. ESPECIALLY at such a high profile and high pressure place like ND.

I will never look back at Weis with anything other than respect. He helped ND turn the page on the Davie/O'Leary/Willingham debacle. He brought in attitude, and did a hell of a job recruiting to give ND a chance. 2005 and 2006 were great seasons to be an ND fan.

As for Faust, let's just admit it was a total failure. He was a LEGENDARY HS coach at Moeller. He built the program from scratch and for 18 years went 178-23-2. That included winning 5 of 6 state titles in the years before heading to ND. He was Catholic, highly ethical, and very personable. He also was a pipeline to the talent rich midwest at that time. I think Faust would have worked 10 years earlier. However, he presided over the start of the modern age of NCAA football. The Miami teams, and southern recruits in general started to dominate, and Faust couldn't adapt.

ND has shown in the past they take a square peg and force it into a round hole during coaching searches. 2 biggest things I'd look for
can you Coach as a Head Coach?
Where have you done this at before successfully at the college level?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Just like with CW, Faust proved he was not a good College HC in two different places; and each second stop was much less important and visible then the first. And less pressure.

Originally posted by wicker:
raise your hand if you saw this after 05/06. Someone will of course, but he'd be lying
Agreed.

Originally posted by TeddyOH:
I will never look back at Weis with anything other than respect. He helped ND turn the page on the Davie/O'Leary/Willingham debacle. He brought in attitude, and did a hell of a job recruiting to give ND a chance. 2005 and 2006 were great seasons to be an ND fan.

As for Faust, let's just admit it was a total failure. He was a LEGENDARY HS coach at Moeller. He built the program from scratch and for 18 years went 178-23-2. That included winning 5 of 6 state titles in the years before heading to ND. He was Catholic, highly ethical, and very personable. He also was a pipeline to the talent rich midwest at that time. I think Faust would have worked 10 years earlier. However, he presided over the start of the modern age of NCAA football. The Miami teams, and southern recruits in general started to dominate, and Faust couldn't adapt.
attitude ? weis teams were the softest I'd ever seen nd teams be.

I will never look back at Weis with anything other than respect. He helped ND turn the page on the Davie/O'Leary/Willingham debacle.
You have got to be kidding! He was as much, if not more of a problem as Davie and Willingham.

If I remember correctly ,after the fourth year of coaching ,the AD ( not sure if it was Moose Krause who hired Faust ) really wanted Faust to resign ,,but Faust steadfastly refused ,but knew he was gone the following year.

Faust was true blue to ND after he left and I give him credit for his loyaty .The one thing, he was a little naive .He really enjoyed being the head coach . Not many students ,alumni,fans ,administration enjoyed his five years .even though he did have some very good wins.

Originally posted by Irishjohn68:

I will never look back at Weis with anything other than respect. He helped ND turn the page on the Davie/O'Leary/Willingham debacle.
You have got to be kidding! He was as much, if not more of a problem as Davie and Willingham.
this.

Mheezy
correct.
There are usually reasons why a career NFL assistant remains an assistant coach; especially one that has been somewhat succesful. Then there is the reality that great assistant coaches do not necessarily make good HC's. Most notably in this catagory is Bill Arnsparger.

Success at one job position or level is not always a good predictor of success at the next level.

However, it is not classy kicking Weis when he is down (career wise), to denegrade or trash him on his way out; as some posters are doing.

This post was edited on 2/17 8:04 PM by perseverare

claiming that CW was worse then Tytanic is about the dumbest thing either echo or IJ68 has ever said- and that takes into a account a lot of moronic statements. The hatred that CW gets from some really puzzles me- but then some of them defended Joe Paterno so maybe that is an explanation. They like pedophile enablers.

When CW took over a lot of people were saying you could not get top talent to Notre Dame anymore. He proved that wrong in spades. He took a team that had a losing record and came within an illegal play of knocking off the team of that decade at a point where many were saying it was one of the greatest teams of all time.

Two BCs bowls in his first two years.

Now after that things went into the toilet and he was not able to bring the team back and was rightfully fired. But the way some here want to ignore his first two years is really interesting- and calls into account not only their motives but their lack of intelligence.

The team that went 12-0 and played for the NC? the seniors of that team were recruited by CW.

Ultimately CW failed as a HC. No doubt about that. But that can be admitted without downgrading what he did accomplish here at ND. JUst requires a little honesty from some who seem to be unable to come up with any.

Bodi go kiss ohsensi's butt; hypocrite (bet you know how that is spelled! something you are! Oh, be sure to make a pist like that the next time 35 posts? ah no, that would bring wrath upon lil Bodi!

Bit/: slapped Bodi.

This stays with you when the KK's are gone ya know: you own this.

Originally posted by onlyonenow:
claiming that CW was worse then Tytanic is about the dumbest thing either echo or IJ68 has ever said- and that takes into a account a lot of moronic statements. The hatred that CW gets from some really puzzles me- but then some of them defended Joe Paterno so maybe that is an explanation. They like pedophile enablers.

When CW took over a lot of people were saying you could not get top talent to Notre Dame anymore. He proved that wrong in spades. He took a team that had a losing record and came within an illegal play of knocking off the team of that decade at a point where many were saying it was one of the greatest teams of all time.

Now after that things went into the toilet and he was not able to bring the team back and was rightfully fired. But the way some here want to ignore his first two years is really interesting- and calls into account not only their motives but their lack of intelligence.

The team that went 12-0 and played for the NC? the seniors of that team were recruited by CW.

Ultimately CW failed as a HC. No doubt about that. But that can be admitted without downgrading what he did accomplish here at ND. JUst requires a little honesty from some who seem to be unable to come up with any.
I think it is the way that Weis failed that left the biggest sour taste. When he told the defense to let PITT score in 2009, that way he could get the offense on the field to try to win the game. Things like that.

There is no wrong in saying that he got some great recruits to S. Bend. However he got great skill position guys. WR, QB, Safety. Not so much in the trenches. And his training for those guys was awful.

As for looking at the two BCS bowls he pulled in the first two years. In 2005 ND played 3 teams with a winning record in the regular season that year. (Michigan at 7-5, USC at 12-1 and Navy at 8-4, note all of those are with post season results). Before playing what was then a 9-2 Ohio State that ended 10-2. ND managed to land the Fiesta Bowl due to knocking off an over ranked Michigan (3rd at time of game) and almost winning against USC.

In 2006 it was slightly better. They defeated 5 teams with winning records. And lost only to a couple of pretty darn good teams. (Michigan who finished 11-2 and ranked 13th final poll, USC who went 11-2 finished ranked 2nd final poll, and LSU who went 11-2 and finished 4th final poll)

But if you want to say that Kelly went to the BCS championship on the Weis players. Then what does that say that Weis high water marks were his first two years using Willingham's kids?

Irish blooded, remember 2007? when Weis pretty much had kids and what was left over from Tytanics disastrous recruiting?

Interesting how you forgot about that.

Now some coaches can make up a fair amount for a lack of talent and clearly CW was not one of them. And his recruiting had some black holes for sure.
But when you defend basically claiming that tytanic was not worse then CW I have to call you on that.

Tytanic was the worst overall HC in ND's modern era (Since Ara for sure). There were some serious dud after Leahy and before Ara but he was worse then Faust- Faust could at least recruit a fair amount and he had an excuse for not being a good college coach. what was tytanic's?

Irish blooded, remember 2007? when Weis pretty much had kids and what was left over from Tytanics disastrous recruiting?

Interesting how you forgot about that.

Now some coaches can make up a fair amount for a lack of talent and clearly CW was not one of them. And his recruiting had some black holes for sure.
But when you defend basically claiming that tytanic was not worse then CW I have to call you on that.

Tytanic was the worst overall HC in ND's modern era (Since Ara for sure). There were some serious dud after Leahy and before Ara but he was worse then Faust- Faust could at least recruit a fair amount and he had an excuse for not being a good college coach. what was tytanic's?
Yeah, I didn't like Willingham either. But Willingham being bad, doesn't make Charlie good.

You said that Kelly went to the championship game on Charlie's kids. So I mentioned that the only 2 years Charlie made the BCS was his first two. Both of which were full of Willingham's kids. Your trying to make this argument about who is the tallest midget.

Ty had one decent year recruting but that was it. Then it was downhill after that. Ole Miss was recruting better than ND was. Weis was no coach, but either was Ty. At least Charlie didn't leave the cupboards bare. Either way, combined it was horrible hires. Thank Kevin "the idiot" White for that.

Just like with CW, Faust proved he was not a good College HC in two different places; and each second stop was much less important and visible then the first. And less pressure.
I might be mistaken, but I thought that Akron under Faust elevated to the next level in college football (AA to 1A.)

And Weis did something TW never did... which was try to adapt. Such and such wasn't working, CW would change assistants or do other things to try to improve. Ultimately, it was TW's penchant for sticking with what WASN'T working that cut his ND career short of contract.

weis had success with another guys players. did lousy with his own. no one EVER did less for more. an abysmal administrator who pretty much alienated everyone in the building. an awful hire.
This post was edited on 2/18 3:56 PM by echowaker

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT