ADVERTISEMENT

USC week

NCDomer1

I've posted how many times?
Sep 23, 2005
ND better get their head in the game or the Trojans are gping to stomp them.
I think they will snap out of it.
USC is going to stack the box playing cover zero just like the other teams did. ND need to spread them out with at least 3 to five wide outs . The teams that have beat the Trojans used the same strategy. Bunch sets do not work against USC. I am so glad C. Williams is going off to the NFL. Dude is just that good. ND should contain him rushing four under no circumstances does ND play a three man front. Scrap that all together. Hartman has to have a big day because USC is going to score in the 30’s. If Pyne can put up 31 points then Hartman should do better.
Tyree should touch the ball five times a game not including punt returns. Bubble screens, jet sweeps, wild cat, etc.
it appears third and short is an issue? Put Hartman behind center with Audric in the full back position only a yard behind Hartman in stead of some slow developing play two yards behind the line or have Audric as the full back and Love as the tailback one a pitch out.
I think ND will come out with some fire this week. The line is ND by 1 point basically a toss up.

Reactions: Airzee23
Four straight weeks against top level competition. This might get ugly Saturday. Is there a reason Jack messed up the schedule? If ND had a bye and took on SC I think they’d beat them in a close game being fresh.

Obviously no one thinks ND has a chance. There is more than enough evidence to back that thinking up. This is where the seniors and in particular the captains need to show their leadership. I also think MF and the coaches need to simplify their strategy. Pick the 5 linemen and stick with them. Pick you first and second back and stick with them. Nothing cute. You want to be a team that dominates on the line of scrimmage? Then play that way. If they can get running down hill early, that will open up the pass. It’s not complicated. It’s all about execution and attitude. They had neither last Saturday. Time for the leaders to step up and lead.

I have a crazy feeling we beat USC. We are overdue for a good game; and USC has barely beat their opponents this year. Beating USC is the only way to make up for Louisville. If we get rolled this team is in trouble.

Reactions: NDSMC78
I have no doubt this defense will keep Caleb Williams in check relatively speaking. They did it last year too, but the question is can this offense find a groove against a horrid defense. They are not good at run or pass defense, but pass defense is feast or famine for SC...the worrisome part is they are top 5 in the nation in sacks, #1 in TFL...nothing is worse for a team that wants to rely on the running game than a team which can penetrate and put us in 2nd and 3rd and long situations.

Reactions: christophero
Some things are simply true. One them being that the ND defense plays really hard. However, they are not that fast. That was an issue against Louisville. With that said keeping CW in check has to be the goal. This just might be one those games where bend don’t break defense might be the way to go. Keep everyone in front and when they get inside the 20 clamp down. I also think the best way to win is control the ball and the clock , while scoring. Keep SC offense of the field as much as possible. It’s a tall order. Hopefully Lady Luck is with the Irish this Saturday.

I have a strange feeling that our defense will contain Caleb Williams enough. Who knows though? This has been a very unpredictable year but I could see the score being closer to OSU than Louisville.

I have no doubt this defense will keep Caleb Williams in check relatively speaking. They did it last year too,
Caleb was 18/22 with 232 yards passing, 1 passing TD, 3 rushing TDs and no interceptions last year.

Is that holding him in check, relatively speaking?

I have a lot of doubt about this or any defense keeping Williams in check. I hate the guy, but he is as potent a weapon as there is in CFB right now. Keeping him in check for 4 quarters seems highly unlikely. He is almost certainly good for 30 points.

That being said, I agree that this game hinges on the ND offense going off. Likely to need 40+

Incredible to me that ND is favored

Obviously no one thinks ND has a chance.
We are a solid 2 to 2.5 point favorite; there are plenty of people who think we have a chance.
Incredible to me that ND is favored
USC just really isn’t that good. They have a great offense that actually looked terrible this past Saturday, a bad defense, and pretty good skill players though not amazing in anyway. They do have superman at quarterback, but outside of that they are very much beatable.

Last edited:
We are a solid 2 to 2.5 point favorite; there are plenty of people who think we have a chance.

USC just really isn’t that good. They have a great offense that actually looked terrible this past Saturday, a bad defense, and pretty good skill players though not amazing in anyway. They do have superman at quarterback, but outside of that they are very much beatable.
People may think they are beatable. Yet no one has beaten them. Two questions need to be answered. Can ND keep SC under 30 points? Can the Irish offense score 30 points ? If this is a shootout, SC will win. I do not see ND scoring 40. Even if the SC defense is bad.

People may think they are beatable. Yet no one has beaten them. Two questions need to be answered. Can ND keep SC under 30 points? Can the Irish offense score 30 points ? If this is a shootout, SC will win. I do not see ND scoring 40. Even if the SC defense is bad.
I think ND wins by 10+.

I have no doubt this defense will keep Caleb Williams in check relatively speaking. They did it last year too, but the question is can this offense find a groove against a horrid defense. They are not good at run or pass defense, but pass defense is feast or famine for SC...the worrisome part is they are top 5 in the nation in sacks, #1 in TFL...nothing is worse for a team that wants to rely on the running game than a team which can penetrate and put us in 2nd and 3rd and long situations.
ASU and CU have the worst oL
In power 5 football. Could be slightly misleading stat.

ASU and CU have the worst oL
In power 5 football. Could be slightly misleading stat.
True, but they are athletic and active along their DL. They're also susceptible to getting gashed by the run too, so it cuts both ways. However, as a team that relies on putting our QB under center a lot and running more pro sets and traditional line ups, with less formations to confuse defenses and our OL suffering from a confidence problem...this could be a bigger problem than we suspect. I think we will find much more success running the ball this week, but we also have to remember that entering our game Louisville had the 38th ranked rush defense, and Duke was 66th, even OSU was only 29th. The best rush defense we faced so far is NCST who's ranked 19th, and if you pull out Estime's surprise 80-yard run to start the game after the long weather delay, ND ran for 90 yards against them for 2.5ypc.

Last year SC had nearly the identical rush defense ranking as they do right now when they played us, 88th in the nation, and they held us to 90 yards rushing. Although, we threw for 318 yards against them to keep the game close. I think our offensive staff will need to figure things out quickly to try and make something happen. Shuffling around OL is not the answer either that creates instability, uncertainty, and lowers a confidence level for a team in need of being pumped up right now.

In the last 3 games...ND has averaged 17 points...USC? 44. I'll ask the same question I asked before the Louisville game....where will the points come from?

In the last 3 games...ND has averaged 17 points...USC? 44. I'll ask the same question I asked before the Louisville game....where will the points come from?
Ask Las Vegas.

They do not build numerous opulent skyscrapers because of ignorance.

Im hoping ND wins. If they win going away I will eat a nail.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT