ADVERTISEMENT

Trouble in Trojan Land

This kind of idiocy was what kept Garrett at the Cowboys for so long after everyone knew he was a lousy HC.

You can tell after a couple of years if a coach is going to do what you want. Sometimes it takes even less time (Urban Meyer at Jacksonville).

In this day and age you can tell very soon if you made the right hire. Your mindset is to wait for years because it costs money to get rid of the dregs. Its even MORE STUPID to put up with the garbage like at Texas when you have the money to get rid of losers.
Which the Horns have been doing every 3 to 4 years. Sark has 2 to go.

this whole Caleb Williams saga is mind boggling. This is not Cam Newton or T. Lawrence!
He is good, not great. A skilled thrower, but average run threat, with less than ideal measurables.
This is not a superstar talent. Dart looks to possess a bit more mentally stability and even higher upside than Williams.
CLR may have made a critical error driving the wedge between Dart and SC.
Actually the opposite D but you are close. Excellent runner, almost Kyler Murray good. Slightly above average passer; holds the ball far too long but he was a first year guy. Strong guy. Agree Dart looks more like the ideal college QB. Hope OU gets him but does not seem likely. Wherever Caleb winds up he better have a good Oline.

Actually the opposite D but you are close. Excellent runner, almost Kyler Murray good. Slightly above average passer; holds the ball far too long but he was a first year guy. Strong guy. Agree Dart looks more like the ideal college QB. Hope OU gets him but does not seem likely. Wherever Caleb winds up he better have a good Oline.
could only go by the games I saw him in, my impressions were he only ran when he had to, that passing was always his 1st option. Well he is basing his decision on NFL opportunity so that is where he is thinking, one eye on where he is going leaves only 1 eye on where he is! And his game and play decisions will always reflect self promotional attitude, not necessarily what is team best.

Dart can throw the ball faster than Caleb can run!

CW about 7 rushes pg 442 yds vs 21 pass att pg 1912 yds

?
Passing 211 attempts 1912 yards, 9.06 per pass

Rushing 79 attempts 442 yards, 5.6 per rush

So better rusher than passer.

The only thing I don't like about how USC is handling this stuff is pushing the nuke button prematurely. From AD's to Coaches and all in between.
They are no pioneer doing this as it's the new trendy thing to do. Have enormous sums of cash to flush away paying for contract buyouts. Hire and fire seemingly yearly because things aren't exactly perfect or close to it.

There seems to be this spare no expense mindset with these colleges to which I say how about lowering the damn tuition instead of worrying if team "x" is getting the better of you.

Texas, LSU, USC just to name a few have been in this frenzied state like we dare not have a bad year or bad stretch. Now more than ever it's harder to stay on top. Parity, points scored at a record pace...bad stretches can happen.
Year five is a good indicator which way the program is heading.
Hell it's a miracle if a coach now makes it 5 months let alone 5 years.

Playing musical coaches never works
It has a little bit of a Bill Callahan Nebraska feel to it … he got way away from Nebraska football burning the fields and pulling up all the roots to bring Nebraska “into the future” and it didn’t work. USC football identity needs to stay tough … tailback U and stout defense … none of that sounds like Lincoln Riley’s circus offense Oklahoma teams to me. Soon there’s no going back once you’re all in on this.

Reactions: d1042
It has a little bit of a Bill Callahan Nebraska feel to it … he got way away from Nebraska football burning the fields and pulling up all the roots to bring Nebraska “into the future” and it didn’t work. USC football identity needs to stay tough … tailback U and stout defense … none of that sounds like Lincoln Riley’s circus offense Oklahoma teams to me. Soon there’s no going back once you’re all in on this.

SC used to beat you by having better players and athletes. Now this new generation of coaches make the game about themselves and their ‘schemes’; kiss: “keep it simple stupid” seems to be a forgotten axiom.

I know...but I'm asking your thoughts on Lane because he was hired by neither of the two AD's you dislike
Lane wasn’t a bad hire although he underperformed. Remember we were waiting on sanctions, so our options were limited

Last edited:
Maybe. Not sure why he wouldn't be a tailback U guy though. He calls runs more that he calls passes.

This is going to be interesting to watch in the future. ND's recruit class is amazingly good, but its transfer class in ranked 75th. It will be interesting to see how the two approaches balance out.

Last edited:
Reactions: NDDadx3
Maybe. Not sure why he wouldn't be a tailback U guy though. He calls runs more that he calls passes.

This is going to be interesting to watch in the future. ND's recruit class is amazingly good, but its transfer class in ranked 75th. It will be interesting to see how the two approaches balance out.
Agree if ND does not decide to open its mind around transfers it’s going to make things a lot harder. I suspect they will just as they figured out how to accommodate bowl games, redshirts, and EE and athletes living off campus without destroying the school culture or the student experience.

A Lincoln Riley USC will not feel like previous versions of SC … Kyler Murray is one of the best college QBs I’ve seen but he’s nothing like the super star QBs SC has put on the field over the years. Times change … how will USC and ND decide what to change and what to preserve?

Agree if ND does not decide to open its mind around transfers it’s going to make things a lot harder. I suspect they will just as they figured out how to accommodate bowl games, redshirts, and EE and athletes living off campus without destroying the school culture or the student experience.

A Lincoln Riley USC will not feel like previous versions of SC … Kyler Murray is one of the best college QBs I’ve seen but he’s nothing like the super star QBs SC has put on the field over the years. Times change … how will USC and ND decide what to change and what to preserve?
Not sure how it will come out. There are advantages to having players in your system for his whole career. There are also advantages to having talent that has already been proved at the cfb level. ND and SC could be a test case. Out recruit class ranks low and our transfer class high. The reverse for ND. The two teams may tell a story.

Not sure how it will come out. There are advantages to having players in your system for his whole career. There are also advantages to having talent that has already been proved at the cfb level. ND and SC could be a test case. Out recruit class ranks low and our transfer class high. The reverse for ND. The two teams may tell a story.
SC’s class composition was not by choice.

Huh? Name one quarterback that USC has had that is better than Kyler Murray!?

Funny you brought this up as I was going to mention Nebraska starting this frenzied in/out with the coaching changes.

It's impossible to follow a legend. People get unreal expectations really quick. Tom Osborne was that at Nebraska. He had just come off 3 titles in 4 years. Frank Solich was doing decent.
9-4
12-1
10-2
11-2
7-7
9-3
.750 winning percentage.
Considering how long it took Osborne to win a title....Solich should have been retained for at least a decade.
Nope...not good enough. Nobody anymore remembers yesteryear. Osborne never had more than 3 losses in a season but he had several of those. Nobody remembers that. They just remember yesterday...not yesteryear.
Since...it's a swinging door at the head coaching position
SC used to beat you by having better players and athletes. Now this new generation of coaches make the game about themselves and their ‘schemes’; kiss: “keep it simple stupid” seems to be a forgotten axiom.

Long gone.....but I say again...
The admin's let you lose by running a trendy spread offense.
If you lose running an old school offense...it's because you lost running an old offense. Funny how that shit works huh.
Lane wasn’t a bad hire although he underperformed. Remember we were waiting on sanctions, so our options were limited
See above. USC is just as guilty as Nebraska. What Pete did was legendary and they've been in an entitled frenzy to get back to that.

Again they aren't pioneers with this.
Texas, Nebraska, Michigan, LSU, Florida...

Hell Dabo better be careful and not have more than zero losses next year or he'll be fired.

"Gimme that it's mine" should be the new slogan for the NCAA. Schools to coaches to players.

Reactions: Okie70
SC’s class composition was not by choice.
That isn't true. And if it were, what difference would it make.
Funny you brought this up as I was going to mention Nebraska starting this frenzied in/out with the coaching changes.

It's impossible to follow a legend. People get unreal expectations really quick. Tom Osborne was that at Nebraska. He had just come off 3 titles in 4 years. Frank Solich was doing decent.
9-4
12-1
10-2
11-2
7-7
9-3
.750 winning percentage.
Considering how long it took Osborne to win a title....Solich should have been retained for at least a decade.
Nope...not good enough. Nobody anymore remembers yesteryear. Osborne never had more than 3 losses in a season but he had several of those. Nobody remembers that. They just remember yesterday...not yesteryear.

If you lose running an old school offense...it's because you lost running an old offense. Funny how that shit works huh.

See above. USC is just as guilty as Nebraska. What Pete did was legendary and they've been in an entitled frenzy to get back to that.

Hell Dabo better be careful and not have more than zero losses next year or he'll be fired.

"Gimme that it's mine" should be the new slogan for the NCAA. Schools to coaches to players.
No sure this applies. Kiffin and Helton had several years. Sark had to check himself into rehad so he isn't going to keep his job after that.

Basically, in any high-level job you have to produce. Except government of course.

9-4
12-1
10-2
11-2
7-7
9-3
.750 winning percentage.

You sure got the Husker part right. Just go an their board and get a 100 per cent correct reaction. Then went from bad to worse. USC obviously doing it better. With Riley getting Dye to come at running back looks like he salvaged a pretty weak recruiting year. Still doubt they will be competitive with Oregon, Utah or the Irish next year. But that's why they play the game.

Huh? Name one quarterback that USC has had that is better than Kyler Murray!?
My point is not that USC QBs have been better or worse than Kyler Murray. My point is Lincoln Riley’s idea of an offense is a major departure from USC football. USC has had some pretty accomplished QBs at both college and professional (Leinart, Rodney Peete, Rob Johnson, Carson Palmer) … will be interesting to watch USC try to change its stripes. It worked (mostly) at Oklahoma. It set Nebraska back 20 years.

CLR had to rely heavily on the portal, talent wise he inherited a depleted roster and 6 commitments from position players. He had few options except the portal. The prior 2 classes were weak along both OL and DL

When I say CLR had few options, that is the supporting evidence.

ND needs to start to address the huge imbalance of transfers out vs transfers in … plugging recruiting mistakes with freshman only will not allow and to keep up in current landscape where top teams like Alabama and Ohio State are supplementing top talent already on the roster with additional superstars.

My point is not that USC QBs have been better or worse than Kyler Murray. My point is Lincoln Riley’s idea of an offense is a major departure from USC football. USC has had some pretty accomplished QBs at both college and professional (Leinart, Rodney Peete, Rob Johnson, Carson Palmer) … will be interesting to watch USC try to change its stripes. It worked (mostly) at Oklahoma. It set Nebraska back 20 years.

Murray, Mayfield, and Bradford trump that USC list. I’m not a huge believer in Lincoln Riley as being a Nick Saban level coach, but he will be able to recruit some pretty crazy prospects at USC.

Reactions: IrishBeer
Murray, Mayfield, and Bradford trump that USC list. I’m not a huge believer in Lincoln Riley as being a Nick Saban level coach, but he will be able to recruit some pretty crazy prospects at USC.
SC already tried and failed with this when Helton brought in the Air Raid.

Riley is a TTech guy. So was Graham Harrell the USC OC now at WVa. Disciples of Mike Leach who did a great job at OU in 1999 and was very good coach at Tech. Not sure what changes he will have on an USC offense that Dart did a decent job of running. Trojan's problem, like OU's when Riley got in charge, was the Defense. Grinch made some progress through 2020 but it reverted this year. Not enough Alabama and Georgia linemen to go around.

Yet ran off two starting QBs and praying Caleb saves him. Looks like a bit of a gamble but assume Caleb will wind up there.

Lane Kiffin was a complete disgrace, just as a human being. And that's basically why he was fired. Not because he was losing. But because he was so awful that Pat Haden simply refused to tolerate him any longer as having anything to do with USC. It's to Kiffin's credit that he's been able to bounce back, and I guess he is something of a playcalling/strategizing idiot savant, but as a human being, for lack of a better term, he was simply intolerable.

I also remember way back when, and I'm guessing it was right around or right after he was hired by the Raiders, that on USC's rivals.com free board, which has since been discontinued unlike this ND free board we're posting on right now, that there was a handful of knowledgeable, longtime, serious USC fans who absolutely despised Lane Kiffin. Very matter of fact, hated his guts, in a way that was so adamant and so unhesitating on the part of these USC fans, that I was a bit taken aback. I didn't know anything about Lane Kiffin at the time, but the reason they hated him was because of what a complete personal piece of human garbage he was, and this was according to their own firsthand experience as hardcore USC fans.

They said he was so awful, and he treated USC players with almost bizarre levels of personal abuse that they witnessed on multiple occasions, when they had a chance to see USC practice, that they would have loved to have kicked the shit out of him, no joke. That's how awful he was, that's how they spoke about him, and what an instinctive feeling of complete loathing and hatred that he inspired, among devout USC fans no less...

Which I had no idea was the case, and was very impressed to hear that USC's hotshot young OC was so hated by these USC fans, and wasn't sure what to make of it. So I guess I just filed it away in my memory, and then the Lane Kiffin saga began in earnest. First with the Raiders, with Al Davis publicly excoriating him after two seasons, the short stint at Tennessee with Phil Fulmer also excoriating him more or less, and then finally hitting rock bottom at USC with the eminently genial and easygoing Pat Haden abruptly firing him execution style in front of the players and staff, after even he had finally had enough. All the while Kiffin making a public spectacle of himself at USC, and it becoming very apparent why he was originally so hated by those USC fans. Just generally awful across the board, and absolutely no business being in executive charge of a powerhouse CFB program, I don't care how slick he might be with the Xs and Os.

So I would disagree, and I would say pretty much 100% correctly given how toxic and disastrous his time at USC was, ending in a vicious public termination after just 3 1/3 seasons, that hiring Kiffin wasn't 'a bad hire'. They don't come much worse than that.....

Lane Kiffin was a complete disgrace, just as a human being. And that's basically why he was fired. Not because he was losing. But because he was so awful that Pat Haden simply refused to tolerate him any longer as having anything to do with USC. It's to Kiffin's credit that he's been able to bounce back, and I guess he is something of a playcalling/strategizing idiot savant, but as a human being, for lack of a better term, he was simply intolerable.

I also remember way back when, and I'm guessing it was right around or right after he was hired by the Raiders, that on USC's rivals.com free board, which has since been discontinued unlike this ND free board we're posting on right now, that there was a handful of knowledgeable, longtime, serious USC fans who absolutely despised Lane Kiffin. Very matter of fact, hated his guts, in a way that was so adamant and so unhesitating on the part of these USC fans, that I was a bit taken aback. I didn't know anything about Lane Kiffin at the time, but the reason they hated him was because of what a complete personal piece of human garbage he was, and this was according to their own firsthand experience as hardcore USC fans.

They said he was so awful, and he treated USC players with almost bizarre levels of personal abuse that they witnessed on multiple occasions, when they had a chance to see USC practice, that they would have loved to have kicked the shit out of him, no joke. That's how awful he was, that's how they spoke about him, and what an instinctive feeling of complete loathing and hatred that he inspired, among devout USC fans no less...

Which I had no idea was the case, and was very impressed to hear that USC's hotshot young OC was so hated by these USC fans, and wasn't sure what to make of it. So I guess I just filed it away in my memory, and then the Lane Kiffin saga began in earnest. First with the Raiders, with Al Davis publicly excoriating him after two seasons, the short stint at Tennessee with Phil Fulmer also excoriating him more or less, and then finally hitting rock bottom at USC with the eminently genial and easygoing Pat Haden abruptly firing him execution style in front of the players and staff, after even he had finally had enough. All the while Kiffin making a public spectacle of himself at USC, and it becoming very apparent why he was originally so hated by those USC fans. Just generally awful across the board, and absolutely no business being in executive charge of a powerhouse CFB program, I don't care how slick he might be with the Xs and Os.

So I would disagree, and I would say pretty much 100% correctly given how toxic and disastrous his time at USC was, ending in a vicious public termination after just 3 1/3 seasons, that hiring Kiffin wasn't 'a bad hire'. They don't come much worse than that.....
We kind of agree. The post was about the decision to change coaches as made by ADs. My answer meant that at the time he was hired, based on SC facing sanctions, it wasn't a bad decision. He was a disaster as a coach.

Sounds like Notre Dame is not playing USC next season. Instead, we are playing Oklahoma in Trojan uniforms.

We kind of agree. The post was about the decision to change coaches as made by ADs. My answer meant that at the time he was hired, based on SC facing sanctions, it wasn't a bad decision. He was a disaster as a coach.
Which would make Dart going to Ole Miss sting even more for SC fans. Probably his likely destination.

That isn't true. And if it were, what difference would it make.

No sure this applies. Kiffin and Helton had several years. Sark had to check himself into rehad so he isn't going to keep his job after that.

Basically, in any high-level job you have to produce. Except government of course.
Sure but that's the whole point of this. If "produce" you mean win a title...ok. Insane but ok. Insane because there are 129 teams that don't finish #1 at the end.

If you mean win enough that you're very close...? Well now...that's been done by all of these examples. Doesn't matter.

I don't disagree with changing coaches if your goal is ultimately a title and you've made the determination the current guy won't get there....but for christ sake they need a little more time than a cup of coffee.

The board knows I wanted Kelly gone. That said I wanted him gone once he cemented his ceiling here. If our real goal is being competitive in a major bowl/playoff and possibly winning a title...then you must make that move but only after adequate time of sinking or swimming proof.

We didn't win the Fiesta but we were competitive. So in that regard Freeman has already accomplished something Brian Kelly has never done .....at any university.
You'd have to go back to the 1996 Orange bowl with Tom Krug taking snaps against FSU. Holtz had that team playing above it's head and almost pulled a rabbit out of the hat. Had Marc Edwards playing a tailback in a single back formation. It almost worked.

Back to SC...it seems there were coaches who "produced" in my mind but I don't have a title or bust expectation.

Sure but that's the whole point of this. If "produce" you mean win a title...ok. Insane but ok. Insane because there are 129 teams that don't finish #1 at the end.

If you mean win enough that you're very close...? Well now...that's been done by all of these examples. Doesn't matter.

I don't disagree with changing coaches if your goal is ultimately a title and you've made the determination the current guy won't get there....but for christ sake they need a little more time than a cup of coffee.

The board knows I wanted Kelly gone. That said I wanted him gone once he cemented his ceiling here. If our real goal is being competitive in a major bowl/playoff and possibly winning a title...then you must make that move but only after adequate time of sinking or swimming proof.

We didn't win the Fiesta but we were competitive. So in that regard Freeman has already accomplished something Brian Kelly has never done .....at any university.
You'd have to go back to the 1996 Orange bowl with Tom Krug taking snaps against FSU. Holtz had that team playing above it's head and almost pulled a rabbit out of the hat. Had Marc Edwards playing a tailback in a single back formation. It almost worked.

Back to SC...it seems there were coaches who "produced" in my mind but I don't have a title or bust expectation.
I think for SC fans it was results compared to talent levels and then the ability to get talent.

beach

why haven’t you left Ca.?
Love it here. Plus, my kids live here.

You have to understand California is the same size as Great Briton or Sweden. It is very different depending on where you live. I live in Newport Beach which as in Orange County. Pretty conservative place. Also, its 74 degrees today.

You have to understand California is the same size as Great Briton or Sweden. It is very different depending on where you live. I live in Newport Beach which as in Orange County. Pretty conservative place. Also, its 74 degrees today.
been to Newport! beautiful. 47% tax rates!

Do you get to Luciana’s often ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT