ADVERTISEMENT

Football Transcript: What offensive coordinator Gerad Parker said after ND's third spring practice

Tyler James

I've posted how many times?
Staff
Dec 31, 2021
The media session Notre Dame offensive coordinator Gerad Parker had with writers today was rather short (roughly six minutes), but here's what was discussed.

Questions may be paraphrased. Answers aren't.

GERAD PARKER (3/25)

How do you choose the ingredients for the offense?

“That’s going to be the magic formula, I guess. There are things you naturally are going to lean towards that you liked to do in past jobs or past things you’ve done. And then the first thing we focus on – I’ve said it and I mean it – I want to make sure we just lean on what is best for Notre Dame … Like I keep on telling myself, what’s best for Notre Dame and who are the guys that we know need to touch that ball to provide the strengths it’s going to take for us to be great on offense.

“That’s going to be the focus. What are our pieces that make us really good? What’s best for Notre Dame and then of course between defenses. So right now is going to be a good time for us to continue to sample things of what our offense is and I think that’s built from the past here.

“That’s why our terminology and our ability these last two practices to line up and function as an offense with cadence and formation and snap count — all those things that are the things that make you worry. Those things are kind of taken care of by a culture of a place that’s really good and wants to learn. But then also a place that already knows those things. So at the start of all of this, we were able at least at the end of the day, I told my wife, we can line up and snap the ball, line up and hand the ball off. That’s a nice thing

“Now, not to be long winded, now we have to choose: What are we going to do and strip away? What are the things that need to be peeled off the layers a little bit that have stacked up over the years from maybe Chip (Long) coming through here, Tommy (Rees)?

“It just stacks up naturally. So you’re trying to strip it away and help the things that need to stay. But then also: Hey, maybe this name. We need this, but we need to name it something that makes a little bit more sense, because we named it that for a reason we don’t even know anymore.”

Do you feel like you know the personnel well and what you can emphasize?

“Yeah, fully. Because we know our identity. Like when I stand in the huddle next to our offensive line, I feel more confident. We’ll grow. We have to get better and all those things. But our identity starts in there and builds out. We have strong, mature backs. We have two mature quarterbacks and Steve Angeli and those guys are learning how. That helps you. Then we’re going to continue to build on the perimeter to make sure we put ourselves in a position where we can win in space too.

“It’s fun to know those things and have answers for a couple. Then even the guys that are hurt. Our two guys in our room that are hurt, we already know they’ve played in big games and can do things too. It allows you not to have to go through that process as if you were a new guy that didn’t even know this place or the kids yet.”

What kind of fisherman is Sam Hartman?

“To go out in the cold weather he went out in that one time my son made him a hat and catch two fish in that pond tells you something. I didn’t think they were moving around out there just yet. He has some talent.”

Which child made the hat?

“Oliver. My son. OG.”

What kind of hat?

“It’s like a pirate hat colored on with stickers. It was important to him.”

How long did he work on that?

“I think it was about a 10-minute process. He stuck it together. And then he was pounding on the window. That’s probably what made the other fish run.”

Assuming Hartman is your starting quarterback, what does he bring to the equation?

“I think everything you all probably already wrote or you would assume. That guy’s been in a lot of lights, made a lot of throws under duress, played a lot of football and seen it go up and down. So you’ll see a guy that’s mature and can handle success and failure. So that leadership breeds some confidence through people.

“And Buch (Tyler Buchner) carries it the same way to be fair. They both carry themselves in that way. Tyler Buchner has taken a step too. Which is a compliment why … like I tell guys all the time, high tides raise all boats and having Sam Hartman here has done that for that room for Tyler Buchner and vice versa. They’re working great together, and Tyler’s played exceptionally way these first three (practices) as well. It’s been good for both.”

How does Hartman raise the tide off the field?

“Preparation. Hands down. We have pillars: the truth, the work, the results. That dude puts in the work, and I think that becomes contagious. Heck, I better get in here early, I better study like that. And he’s also felt that pressure to do it, because he’s coming into an offense that’s brand new too. So it’s two-fold.”

What does Hartman need to learn that’s outside of his comfort zone?

“I would think just maybe in its simplest form is taking snaps under center. As simple as that. Just being able to secure a football under center. And being able to do some of our check-with-me system and all the things it takes to operate differently. And as simple again as walking into a huddle and commanding a huddle and getting the huddle in a break and walking up to the line. Those are things that he hasn’t done that seem simple, but they aren’t so simple once you get in there and see 10 other guys looking at you and you have to control a huddle and break it.”

Are you going to go under center much more often?

“I wouldn’t say much more, but we will enough. We’re going to do things enough to where we operate to build an identity of who Notre Dame is.”

I wanted to ask you about UT Martin and film sessions with Marcus Satterfield/Geep Wade and you’re singing. How did that help make you the coach you are right now?

“Satt and Geep, you reference, that puts tears in my eyes. I drove to Martin, Tenn., and had no idea where it was. We were supposed to day-trip it. Coach (Jason) Simpson won’t admit to this, but he got sick. We had to stay at a hotel overnight on my interview and Geep Wade’s standing in the parking lot welcoming me there.

“Him and Satt taught me how to work. Those guys were such good workers. Geep’s such a good offensive line coach. Satt’s now a coordinator and has had a helluva career. Those guys taught me how to work.

“At a place like that, it’s fun because you have to do way more than you should have, plus paint the fields and drive the film tower across the gravel parking lot …”

And register your kids for classes:

“Amen! No doubt! I think I was in control of the postgame meal. Those things made it fun. And of course we had fun singing. I always — we have to have music playing. It keeps things moving. It was a fun time.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News