ADVERTISEMENT

Told you all…

Monk Malloy was a scholarship basketball player at ND and pro athletics.

I gave him the book “The Making of the Masters” in the hope that he would replicate Augusta’s approach to controlling the nd football telecasts.

What makes you think that Malloy is anti-football excellence ?
Ok let me clarify. I’m sure they would like for the football program to win a NC. In order to achieve that goal , you need top end talent every year. As we all know , you’re not going to get that in abundance if you require high academic standards. ND will get good solid players. But you need more than that to win championships. ND will always put academics first. I am fine with that. But by going that route you are going to find it extremely hard to get elite players that you need to win. Win 8-10 games , go to a decent bowl, graduate players and those in charge are happy with that.

Ok let me clarify. I’m sure they would like for the football program to win a NC. In order to achieve that goal , you need top end talent every year. As we all know , you’re not going to get that in abundance if you require high academic standards. ND will get good solid players. But you need more than that to win championships. ND will always put academics first. I am fine with that. But by going that route you are going to find it extremely hard to get elite players that you need to win. Win 8-10 games , go to a decent bowl, graduate players and those in charge are happy with that.
And so am I !

Let me add that I do not want the academic standards lowered and neither does the National Championship Lacrosse team

If Notre Dame prostitutes itself and lowers their academic standards what will differentiate Notre Dame from every other football factory ?

Last edited:
You’re dead wrong !

ND vied for three NC’s in a ten year span

Whom, in the administration doesn’t want to win a NC ?
I didn't say anyone in the administration doesn't want to win a championship. They are unwilling to take the steps necessary to win a championship. Big difference. And hey man, I'm just describing my fanhood journey, based on evidence available. Once they clamped down on Holtz and the top recruiting classes stopped, so did the championships.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
I didn't say anyone in the administration doesn't want to win a championship. They are unwilling to take the steps necessary to win a championship. Big difference. And hey man, I'm just describing my fanhood journey, based on evidence available. Once they clamped down on Holtz and the top recruiting classes stopped, so did the championships.
I understand your passion, but I think you have to separate intent from comprehension, decisions and execution.

By that I mean the following.

You can have the best of intentions and want to achieve your goal of winning a NC.

But, do you comprehend what path you need to follow to win.

When you go down your chosen path do you make the right or wrong decisions in trying to achieve your desired goal ?

Once you make your decisions do you execute them properly.

Let‘s not forget that Holtz advocated for Bob Davie to be his successor and ND named him HC

After Davie, ND hired Willingham who had a worse W/L record than Davie ….. against inferior competition. Then Charlie Weis

So ND hired two assistants/co-ordinators with no HC experience and a coach with a worse W/L record than the guy he replaced.

Did ND have the proper intent ? YES
Did ND comprehend the path they needed to take ? NO
Did ND make the right decisions ? NO
Did and execute properly ? YES but they executed the wrong decision.

Now let’s go back a little further.

After Dan Devine, a coach with prior head coaching experience at the college and NFL level, a coach who won a NC for Notre Dame, Notre Dame hires a high school coach ?
Think about that !
Think about the insanity of hiring a high school coach, a high school coach !
it’s almost unbelievable !

One of the things that I’ve learned over the years is how little the owners of NFL teams know about football, with the exception of Jerry Jones. But everyone of them wants to win. So it’s not the intent that’s lacking.
Ditto ND !

The administrators main focus at ND is to run a prestigious University.
No one in the Executive Office knows anything about football, relatively speaking.
They’re NOT professional football executives, they’re educators/administrators.
So, you can’t expect them to have an in depth, comprehensive understanding of football.

Brennan
Devore
Kuharich
Faust
Davie
Willingham
Weis
Freeman

Do you see a modern day pattern ?
Ineptness with brilliance sprinkled in

With regard to our current situation, Kelly really fooked us.
He put us in a horrible position with the timing of his resignation

For whatever the reasons, ND opted against the more prudent path, that of naming an interim coach for 2022 and then going on the headhunting mission for 2023.

Now, we’re a prisoner of a hasty decision, a hasty decision made because of the timing of Kelly’s resignation. A hasty decision, albeit, with the right intentions.

So where do we go from here ?

I think that we have to wait and see the results of this year and next year.
We have to play the hand we’ve been dealt.

That’s disappointing to most of us, but that’s the reality.

Hope that helps

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT