ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thoughts On Steve Angeli, Notre Dame Targets At NJ Rivals Camp

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Here are my thoughts on the notable Notre Dame recruits at the Rivals Camp Series stop in New Jersey from Sunday, May 16...

*** Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic class of 2022 quarterback and Notre Dame commitment Steve Angeli was on his game today. He really impressed me when I saw him last September, and he was very good once again today. He’s put on some good weight since last fall too. Angeli throws a beautiful football and has clean mechanics. I love his throwing motion, the ease of which he throws the football and his accuracy. Maybe six or seven of his passes all day hit the ground. He was “on” all afternoon, and I feel that his stock is trending up after the performances he’s had this spring on the camp circuit.

To me, there are no questions about his arm strength. He throws the ball effortlessly at 40-45 yards. There weren’t any 50 yard-plus passing opportunities, but I don’t believe he’d have any issues getting the ball downfield that far. By the time his high school career is over and enrolls at Notre Dame, he should be able to throw it 60 yards no problem.

*** Angeli did not win MVP, which I didn’t agree with. Rivals gave it to Princeton (N.J.) Hun School class of 2023 passer Marco Lainez, who did have a strong day. He had some really impressive throws downfield and was really strong late, but based on the entire body of work during the camp, Angeli was the better quarterback. Those two were the best quarterbacks on the day, and maybe I’m biased, but I thought Angeli was more consistent and accurate.

*** Angeli’s favorite target on the day was Jersey City (N.J.) St. Peter’s Prep class of 2022 athlete Kenny Soares. These two are rivals when it comes to the annual battle between their schools, but they were best buddies today. Soares went home with the linebacker MVP from the event, but he played some tight end as well, and Angeli loved throwing to him. My takeaway from their connection was how much Angeli will love throwing to guys like Holden Staes and Eli Raridon in South Bend.

*** All in all, it was a very strong performance in my eyes by Angeli. I think he has all the tools to be a big-time quarterback at the next level – both physically and mentally. I’ve seen comments on Twitter and on our board from folks saying they’re surprised with his arm strength based on clips I tweeted out.. I’m not sure why it’s a surprise. He has a strong arm. Great mechanics. Throws well on the run. Moves well. Has superb leadership qualities. He checked in at 6-2, 210, so he’s already an inch taller and three pounds heavier than Tyler Buchner (for comparison’s sake). I believe Angeli has another inch or two to grow; his father is 6-7.

*** Springfield (Mass.) Central class of 2022 wide receiver and Boston College commit Joseph Griffin Jr. was dominant today. He took home wide receiver MVP and an invite to the Rivals Five-Star Challenge in June, which is unheard of as he came into the event with a 5.6 three-star ranking. Griffin holds offers from Notre Dame, Duke, UMASS, Virginia, Wake Forest and Wisconsin in addition to Boston College, but I feel his recruitment is only going to blow up. Notre Dame is definitely in the mix here, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them push more for him. He checked in at 6-3 ½ and 197 pounds, and he looked very much in the mold of Chase Claypool. He’s a big-bodied kid who can fly. Keep an eye on Joseph Griffin Jr.

*** Chesapeake (Va.) Oscar Smith class of 2022 safety Sherrod Covil led his team to a state title during a spring season that ended a couple weeks ago, competed at a 7v7 tournament in Maryland on Saturday and then still made the trip up to Jersey for the Rivals camp on Sunday. I love Covil’s competitiveness. I didn’t think he would show up today as he must be exhausted.

He was invited to the Rivals Five-Star Challenge today following his camp performance. I didn’t get to see him a ton today as I was focused so much on Angeli, but I thought Covil looked decent. It’s tough for a safety to go one-on-one on the outside against receivers since that’s not really their game and what they train for, but he was still respectable. Covil would be a fine get for Notre Dame, but I don’t think there’s a great deal of versatility with him. Notre Dame liked his junior film a lot, but he still might be a rover and not a safety at the next level. He will officially visit June 21-23.

*** Red Bank (N.J.) Catholic class of 2022 defensive end Alex Bauman impressed me today. He was longer than I anticipated and bended well off the edge against offensive tackles. However, I don’t see him ending up in Notre Dame’s class unless Irish head coach Brian Kelly puts his foot down and makes the staff find room for him. Notre Dame is just too loaded at defensive end with three commitments, and they are still after Cyrus Moss and Ernest “RJ” Cooper.

*** Josiah Griffin is a class of 2023 defensive end and the younger brother of Joseph Griffin. Josiah is going to be a big-time recruit, in my opinion. He’s just scratching the surface of how good he can be. Impressive size and moves well.

*** Notre Dame is showing some interest in Oradell (N.J.) Bergen Catholic class of 2023 defensive tackle Sydir Mitchell, teammate of Angeli. Mitchell has some work to do with his technique, but the size is there, and I also feel that he has a lot of room to grow physically. He’s already a big dude, but Mitchell is going to be a monster in a couple years. I believe that Notre Dame will end up offering him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News