ADVERTISEMENT

This off-season may determine MF’s time at Notre Dame

samarrand

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Gold Member
Feb 6, 2004
Here on a Saturday night thinking about the program heading into the off-season in a few months…when the Irish play in the Toilet Bowl game, win or lose, MF will have to make two major decisions that will determine his future at Notre Dame;

-Al Golden is most likely done at Notre Dame. He will probably go back to the Pro’s to coach. Last week MF made some noise in one of his blah blah press conference when he said he had full confidence in his DB coach being a defensive coordinator. I’m scared Freeman is trying to plant the seed. Will MF elevate another position coach with limited coaching experience to be his Coordinator?

-G.Parker will head into the off-season having his offense to blame for ND’s loses this season. A 6th year QB looks lost and drained. Unrecognizable. MF will have to make a decision if he continues to ride with his BFF or makes the tough call to replace his offensive coordinator.

It would make sense for MF to replace Al Golden with an experienced DC. Surround himself with veteran coaches so that MF can focus on recruiting and being the face of the program. Freeman isn’t an offensive guy, it would make sense to replace Parker with an experienced OC so that Freeman can focus on being the ND brand ambassador.

I’m concerned Freeman will replace Golden with his DB coach, the same guy with as much defensive coordinator experience as me. Freeman will be flanked by a rookie DC and a Rookie-ish offensive coordinator. These guys can turn out to be amazing coordinators. They can also turn out to be duds.

My question is what are these guys bringing to the table aside from being MF’s buddies and former co-workers? Parker adopted Rees’s offense, doesn’t have his own that he has spent years mastering and scheming. How about Mike Mickens? Is he going to adopt Al Goldens defense or adopt MF’s defense? Either way, MF will have now have to take part in the defense and offense game planning because those potential new coordinators don’t have an identity, simply adopting schemes with very little experience with them.

MF has to learn the game of football from a head coaches perspective. His game management has raised red flags. Weird decisions and non decisions. In about 2 1/2 months we will know what MF decides to do with his coordinator positions, I think we’ll have a clearer picture of MF tenure at ND.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News