ADVERTISEMENT

The Irony of this Game

All of our players go to class. After the Georgia game, it was well documented that several of our players were walking to 8 am classes in the rain. If we weren't going to class, it would kill our APR and we'd be banned from the tourney like UCONN was the year prior to winning their most recent title.

All of the kids on this UK team are good guys. I would guess that the most controversial out of all of them is WCS. he is a junior and on track to graduate.

What this boils down to is the inane assertion that not getting a degree somehow cheapens the game.
I'm sorry, but these universities are in the business of making money. Not just the academic program, the university. The point of college used to be to achieve some kind of enlightenment. Rich people pre 20th century would go and get a liberal arts or similar degree. Now people scoff at LA degrees and the entire point is to prepare you for your career.

I'm sorry if some of us find it ridiculous to assert that these kids somehow owe us or a university (who has none of their best interests in mind and basically uses them for their own profit) their continued presence for some misguided virtues. I'd definitely question the intelligence of somebody who decided to turn down a reasonable guarantee of making more in their first contract than the median college graduate makes in their lifetime.

Originally posted by jacksondomer:

Tomorrow represents everything that is the "good" of college basketball and the "bad" of what college basketball, as well as college football is all about. In one corner you have a program making a Final Four run with a coach who has a track record of graduating everyone who comes thru his program. On the other you have a program that is allowed by NCAA rules to have 6-7-8 players who don't even have to go to class. And if this program wins 2 more games they will be given a plaque that says National COLLEGIATE Athletic Association champions. The only thing Collegiate about Kentucky is that they have players that are of college age...Do not try and tell me that they are STUDENT-ATHLETES.

And don't take this as a slam against the Kentucky kids...they are only doing what the money grubbing NCAA is allowing them to do. Duke has turned into the same kind of program...the NCAA makes 88% of its operating budget of this tournament...the only thing they care about is the $$$$...it's time to put an end to this mess and start a "Minor-League" of sorts for kids who want to get paid to play right away.

It is also the reason I sooooo wanted ND to be put in another region...not to get away from playing UK, you were going to have to do it sometime anyway, but so that I didn't have to watch UK play...it disgusts me that some kid like Darius Jackson is running across a snow covered ND campus to make an 8 oclock class while some guy at UK is sleeping in a cozy apartment. Yet both players are considered "Student Athletes." The NCAA is a joke.

Sorry for venting...
you are making an assumption that 6-7-8 Kentucky kids have the luxury of not going to class per the NCAA. ND kids aren't given that same luxury by the NCAA ? of course you're taking shots at the Kentucky kids. you said it disgusts you that an nd player has to go to class in the snow while the Kentucky kid is warm in his bed. you are ASSUMING that the Kentucky players don't go to class with no solid info to back up such claim. seems like a thinly veiled shot at to me.

Originally posted by tommika:
Let me see if I understand this thread.

JacksonDomer states

1.That the NCAA is at fault and is a money grubbing machine.
2.That the NBA uses the Colleges as a no cost farm team factory
3.That Kentucky is not breaking any rules.
4. That he would still feel the same if N.D. was in the same position.
5. That he feels Kentucky is a great team.
6. That under the NCAA Rules Kentucky players "COULD" (His emphasis) avoid classes.

Sounds right to me, but Kentucky fans (Some) are mad at him and calling him out.

Now that doesn't sound right to me.
under NCAA rules nd players can do the same thing. why single out the Kentucky kids ?

This thread sounds about the same as when ND has to play one of the top rated teams in football. Seriously, I think, if it wasn't because of the money, ND would be an Ivy League school

Didn't ND have some recent academic issues in both football and basketball?

PS Don't ND players leave early for the pros? The irony indeed....

This post was edited on 3/28 9:57 AM by cgvr

Originally posted by cgvr:
Didn't ND have some recent academic issues in both football and basketball?

PS Don't ND players leave early for the pros? The irony indeed....

This post was edited on 3/28 9:57 AM by cgvr
well said. NO school is without issues.

Please name the Kentucky athlete(s) you are referencing or apologize for making something up.

PS I'd also like to know how you know Jackson's academic schedule. Or, is this a fabrication?

"...it disgusts me that some kid like Darius Jackson is running across a snow covered ND campus to make an 8 oclock class while some guy at UK is sleeping in a cozy apartment."

PS Who the f is Darius Jackson?

"it disgusts me that some kid like Darius Jackson"

Let's try to be real here for a minute.

The OP doesn't even know our players names.

I'd call that "ND fan fraud".

And the NBA is using the NCAA as its minor league...and no money has to go out of its coffers to fund it. Agreed...it should be 3 years but then the argument will arise about denying a person the right to make a living.

And the way the NCAA sets this up....by rule if you are gonna be a one and done...you must register for 12 credits, that's 4-3 credit classes the fall semester. Get a 'C' average. Spring semester register for 12 more credits...but you don't have to go to class, you can flunk them all! You are still considered a "Student Athlete" in the eyes of the NCAA. What should be done is monies should be withheld from said institutions who win NCAA titles with guys who would not be academically eligible....don't handover these monies until these kids get a degree at some point, make them come back to go to school. You would see this one and done crap tossed out the window...university presidents would want no part of it....
Please know the facts before you give your argument. ALL of our players have gone to class the second semester and are making very good grades as we have had one of the HIGHEST APRs in the country each year under Cal. Even John Wall has a 3.6 GPA the second semester at UK.Just because we have great players does not mean they are not great kids as well and they all go to class. Otherwise our APR would be dismal and its not.The only exception was Daniel Orton who did not finish the second semester and he has pretty much been blackballed by UK.

Some ND posters can make it difficult to be a ND fan. To be an ND fan is it required that you have to dislike and downgrade all the other schools?

Tomorrow represents everything that is the "good" of college basketball and the "bad" of what college basketball, as well as college football is all about. In one corner you have a program making a Final Four run with a coach who has a track record of graduating everyone who comes thru his program. On the other you have a program that is allowed by NCAA rules to have 6-7-8 players who don't even have to go to class. And if this program wins 2 more games they will be given a plaque that says National COLLEGIATE Athletic Association champions. The only thing Collegiate about Kentucky is that they have players that are of college age...Do not try and tell me that they are STUDENT-ATHLETES.

And don't take this as a slam against the Kentucky kids...they are only doing what the money grubbing NCAA is allowing them to do. Duke has turned into the same kind of program...the NCAA makes 88% of its operating budget of this tournament...the only thing they care about is the $$$$...it's time to put an end to this mess and start a "Minor-League" of sorts for kids who want to get paid to play right away.

It is also the reason I sooooo wanted ND to be put in another region...not to get away from playing UK, you were going to have to do it sometime anyway, but so that I didn't have to watch UK play...it disgusts me that some kid like Darius Jackson is running across a snow covered ND campus to make an 8 oclock class while some guy at UK is sleeping in a cozy apartment. Yet both players are considered "Student Athletes." The NCAA is a joke.

Sorry for venting...
Your post is ironic. Connaughton is a paid professional baseball player who is playing amateur basketball. But yeah, he's only doing what the money grubbing NCAA is allowing him to do.

Sorry for venting...

Sorry for venting...
As a former alter boy who served when the mass was said in Latin, I can see a Catholic educated sports fan these days is as likely to hold an extremely misinformed and biased opinion as Bobby Knight. That's sad but serves to reinforce my decision to leave the Catholic church because it does not seek the truth but only follows desires of the flesh.

Never one to post on another school's boards...

but this is so far off. As a student at UK, that lives a few hundred feet from where the players live, they go to class every single day. All of them. What about a 9pm tipoff on a Tuesday at UGA? I pass players heading back from their 8am the next Wednesday morning, as I'm heading to my 9am. Get your facts straight before you assume they don't even go to class and 'sit in their cozy apartment'.

All of this isn't UK's fault. This is the NCAA's fault.

"So you decided yourself that they take 12 credits
and flunk...how pathetic. As you said you dont know a single player
yet you judge them"

Do you have a reading comp problem? I said a UK player COULD take 12 credits, flunk them and be eligible to play as per NCAA rules. See the word COULD written in caps...The same way an Okafor COULD take 12 credits, flunk them and be eligible per NCAA rules. Am I wrong? That is the rule isn't it...
A Notre Dame player COULD do that too but I didn't see you making your guys out to be the bad guys.
wink.r191677.gif

Hmmm ... came to here to actually talk a little basketball with some fans of one of the better teams in the country today ... and came across this thread. For the record, I like Mike Brey and have enjoyed watching ND play some this year. Haven't watched much, but the team is good and seems to play loose and have fun out there ... which is the kind of basketball that I enjoy watching.

It's a shame that the OP has made such insulting remarks about UK with such little truth behind them. Many times in my message board roaming past, I've come across a thread or a topic that has sparked my desire to comment. Quite a few times, I've also gone ahead and done some quick research on the topic just to make sure my point of view was a valid one. And, I'll admit, sometimes I've been wrong and have not made the comments I initially wanted to. Wish the OP here had done the same.

I'm sure there are quite a few on here that don't share his thoughts ... and to those of you I say good luck in the game tonight. You guys were the one team I was worried about facing in our region when the brackets came out and I expect a tough fight tonight.

Sorry for venting...
This post and your subsequent attempts to defend are pathetic. You write you are not pointing out KY kids but yet you say UK PLAYERS don't have to go to class and state UK has 6-7-8 kids who don't have to go to class. Why is it UK PLAYERS ONLY that do not have to go to class? UK does not have a special exemption from the NCAA. What about the professional baseball player on ND? You don't think his money (although legal under NCAA rules) provide him advantages other college kids don't have? He already has received money yet in your biased view, the KY kids somehow must lack the character to go to class based on your perception of future earnings.

What about the ND football players after their JR year? Last year ND had 3 early entrants to the NFL. Did they stop going to class. They must have after the first semester since they were going pro based on your logic. I guess that is ok? Just because the NFL has a rule that the NBA does not, somehow this is the NCAA's/UK's fault? For goodness sakes, grow up and live in the real world.

----------------------------------------

Sorry for venting…
---------------------------------------------------------------
Standing by for the next lie. Try again.

This post was edited on 3/28 1:52 PM by NavyCat88

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-05-14/kentuckys-academic-performance-makes-liars-out-of-critics-ncaa-basketball-apr-release

I have complained on this thread that the NBA is using the system to its advantage...I have also said in at least 4 responses that UK is playing by the rules it is allowed to play under....but I am told that I am picking on your guys.....I AM NOT....this is a ND website...you guys came over on your own accord and you are welcome to do so....but to accuse me of signaling out your guys is flat out bs....I don't like the one and done rules...period....and for the second time...if ND was doing it I would hate it as well.

Maybe you are not aware of the meaning of the words you use? Would have been a bit more genuine if you had mentioned that one of your top players is a professional athlete. He is allowed to play because of...why?

"Tomorrow represents everything that is the "good" of college basketball and the "bad" of what college basketball, as well as college football is all about. In one corner you have a program making a Final Four run with a coach who has a track record of graduating everyone who comes thru his program. On the other you have a program that is allowed by NCAA rules to have 6-7-8 players who don't even have to go to class. And if this program wins 2 more games they will be given a plaque that says National COLLEGIATE Athletic Association champions. The only thing Collegiate about Kentucky is that they have players that are of college age...Do not try and tell me that they are STUDENT-ATHLETES."

Fact: only one Player in tonight's game has been paid $400,000 by a professional team.

Originally posted by uk_fan_in_tn:

Mirage....did you read my 2nd paragraph? I am not dissing any UK player...I don't know a single soul on that team. I could not tell you the names of 3 players! If they are great kids like you say...terrific....the NCAA is the problem, as is the NBA.

I personally think a kid should be allowed to chase his dream...leave HS and go to the pro's...have at it...but if you decide on the college route the rules change. And NO kid should be allowed to carry 12 credits, flunk all of them, and still be allowed to play.

And for the record I said pretty much the same thing when ND played Duke. And don't get me started on the Univ of No Classes!
You clearly have no knowledge of the APR or how it works
If had any idea what he was talking about, he would know that UK's APR is HIGHER than Notre Dame's AND Duke's!.
UK's score was 1000, Notre Dame's was 995.

And NO kid at UK 'can' flunk twelve credits, because his butt would be off the team. You bought into Bobbie 'the Strangler' Knight's bullshit and made it into your 'fact'.

Jacksondomer, I think I get the gist of your point, but it was terribly worded and the insinuations were were without evidence and, quite honestly, a lie. I suggest you keep threads to responses only and no more than one paragraph for a while.

JacksonDomer states

6. That under the NCAA Rules Kentucky players "COULD" (His emphasis) avoid classes.

Sounds right to me, but Kentucky fans (Some) are mad at him and calling him out.

You've left out everything he posted that has Kentucky fans who are rightfully proud of this class of athletes upset. It doesn't matter who he is or where he said it, he posted outright false information about some very good kids and then tried to hide it by say he was talking about something else. Talk about hide-the-pea! "White man speak with forked-tongue."

We all have a responsibility for the truth! You would think the great Norte Dame would be teaching such.

This post was edited on 3/28 2:45 PM by Levibooty

JacksonDomer states

Perhaps you should re-read the original post. The OP did single out UK players as A) not going to classes and B) fake student athletes.

BTW....this is the first post I've made on a rival's site in in about 7 years, Not one to venture off to other rival sites. I thought the other UK fans did a good job addressing the OP but didn't see anyone point out your attempt to spin the thread.

Mirage....did you read my 2nd paragraph? I am not dissing any UK player...I don't know a single soul on that team. I could not tell you the names of 3 players! If they are great kids like you say...terrific....the NCAA is the problem, as is the NBA.

I personally think a kid should be allowed to chase his dream...leave HS and go to the pro's...have at it...but if you decide on the college route the rules change. And NO kid should be allowed to carry 12 credits, flunk all of them, and still be allowed to play.

And for the record I said pretty much the same thing when ND played Duke. And don't get me started on the Univ of No Classes!
Actually KU's basketball grad rate is 78% which is not !00% like ND but pretty good...

But I think college basketball would be more fair if there wasn't the NBA's one and done rule. I agree, let the kids chase their dreams... Teams like Kentucky or Duke getting NBA ready players isn't fair for the NDs, the Standfords who can't do this...

Originally posted by stu4don:

Actually KU's basketball grad rate is 78% which is not !00% like ND but pretty good...

But I think college basketball would be more fair if there wasn't the NBA's one and done rule. I agree, let the kids chase their dreams... Teams like Kentucky or Duke getting NBA ready players isn't fair for the NDs, the Standfords who can't do this...
Please inform us how the OAD rule doesn't apply to ND or Stanford?

We have posters here that are in no way affiliated with ND.
Their sole purpose, it seems,is to embarrass my Alma Mater.
The OP doesn't even know our players names...
How can the post be taken seriously?
I honestly, believe that fans from other schools create handles, come here and post stupid crap to stir things up.

We have posters here that are in no way affiliated with ND.
Their sole purpose, it seems,is to embarrass my Alma Mater.
The OP doesn't even know our players names...
How can the post be taken seriously?
I honestly, believe that fans from other schools create handles, come here and post stupid crap to stir things up.
If more Golden Domers were here standing up for the truth there wouldn't be so many Kentucky fans here telling the truth. Stopping the spreading false stories should be a pillar here. Those Ursilin nuns should taught me that year ago.

It is embarrassing. We have some folks here that are hell bent on degrading ND and taking the fun out of this forum.
The OP should take a few weeks off from posting and then leave for good...
Like all schools we have some truly pathetic wannabe fans...

PS I am trying to figure out if we can draw you into foul trouble tonight. Taking offensives is going to be painful for us, but needed imo.

PS I am trying to figure out if we can draw you into foul trouble tonight. Taking offensives is going to be painful for us, but needed imo.
At last ... a basketball point. Based on what we've seen this year, foul trouble really doesn't occur with this UK team. Keep in mind we're 2-3 deep at each position with very little drop off. In the few cases where one of our guys has gotten in some foul trouble, there's been more than enough to step up to fill in. Add that to the fact that most of our guys are not prone to foul much in the first place. We're averaging less than 14 fouls called on us per game.

This post was edited on 3/28 3:36 PM by wildcatknh

Sorry for venting...
If your venting had a factual basis, then I would agree with you. In the fall semester UK's mens basketball team posted a cumulative 3.1296 gpa. Last may UK's mens basketball teams 4 year composite score on the NCAA Academic Progress Resport was 989 well above the 930 NCAA standard. It is apparent you have no clue of which you post. Check it out and become better informed.

Foul trouble doesn't hurt UK as much as it could you guys. We can go 9-10 deep if needed and it seems ND only goes 6-7 deep with 3 of your guys playing 38-40 minutes Thursday night. Fatigue could become a factor late in the game for your players. I still think it will be a good game and not like the beat down we gave WV.

This argument is so stupid and tired. Quit maligning UK and Calipari for successful recruiting. That's all they've done that you claim ND can't.

Athletes should be held to the same standard as regular students. Over 50% of incoming freshmen don't graduate.

Sorry for venting...
I love it when opposing teams' fans take the position that their coaches
don't want the kind of players that UK sign, wow. There isn't a coach
in America that doesn't want these players. However, it requires mutual
interest from players and coaches. The lack of a mutual interest is
the real reason why UK type players don't go to ND and other teams that
complain about the "system.".

Many of you ignorantly insinuate
that UK players don't get the most of their academic opportunities while
in school. If you have proof of that, please present it. However, to
assume that just because these players have the skill set to go to the
pros earlier than most doesn't mean anything other than they are ready
to play at the next level earlier than most. The purpose of going to college is to acquire a skill or knowledge that will enable you to take care of self and family. It that is done before acquiring a degree so be it. I don't recall anyone condemning Bill Gates or Microsoft because he didn't graduate.

As for coaching, if
ND's success this season was simply about coaching and player
development, are you implying that Brey just started coaching and
developing players this season?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT