ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl Strategy

edub72

All Star
Jan 17, 2018
Is the Sun Bowl game more about seeing what you have for next season, or executing a game plan an trying to win? Obviously the additional practices and reps are nice.

Is the Sun Bowl game more about seeing what you have for next season, or executing a game plan an trying to win? Obviously the additional practices and reps are nice.
You always focus on winning the game first, then see if you can rotate newer guys in as the score or time allows.

Reactions: Golson5
You always focus on winning the game first, then see if you can rotate newer guys in as the score or time allows.
I would agree with @hvillebill but in this specific instance, we can probably do whatever we want as OSU is going to be left with a shell of a team due to transfers and one punishment for a DUI for their future NFL running back.

Angeli better shine brightly because Leonard did not come to ND just to get a degree.
If he does well then maybe that is a spring board to the spring game and practices. I think Minchey will get some reps

Angeli better shine brightly because Leonard did not come to ND just to get a degree.
If he does well then maybe that is a spring board to the spring game and practices. I think Minchey will get some reps
"Angeli better shine brightly"

Let's all remember, Angeli also will not have full WR corps either ... Outside of Greathouse and Faison, no one has really played much all year due to various injuries (Thomas, Colzie, Salerno), and 4 have left the team (Flores, Tyree, Merriweather and James). And, Staes (TE) also left as well.

Angeli will also not have the benefit of Alt, Fisher, Correll, and Estime either ...

Will be an interesting offense for sure!

Reactions: hvillebill
I would agree with @hvillebill but in this specific instance, we can probably do whatever we want as OSU is going to be left with a shell of a team due to transfers and one punishment for a DUI for their future NFL running back.
Why don't the powers that be just move the transfer portal time line to January, or is this designed to destroy bowl games?

Though i agree they need to win, but back to back 9-4 is not terrible
NDs best wins were to 3 teams that finished outside the top 25 in F+

USC #27, Duke #29, NC State #34

And since the program is relying so heavily on transfers now (especially at the sports most critical position), the future of the program is being mortgaged for these 9 win blah-fests. By all intents and purposes this 2023 season will be entirely forgotten about by week 1 of 2024 season.

And in my opinion that is *terrible* in fact I would classify much of the last 15 years the same way.

Reactions: edub72

And since the program is relying so heavily on transfers now (especially at the sports most critical position), the future of the program is being mortgaged for these 9 win blah-fests. By all intents and purposes this 2023 season will be entirely forgotten about by week 1 of 2024 season.

And in my opinion that is *terrible* in fact I would classify much of the last 15 years the same way.
Sadly I agree

This stuff makes me laugh

Highly disagree with Freeman choosing to play Angeli. Minchey has the higher ceiling and he’s been practicing for an entire year now. He should be the guy and he should be ready. Not to mention Angeli might very well transfer after the bowl game which means we wasted live game reps on someone else’s QB.

There some truth in chase post
You always see the people coming in and dunking on his posts mostly because of the negativity involved, but he has been consistent in using this metric which now paints that Notre Dame is steadily and incrementally structurally getting better.

Also, when you look at the initial point spreads in games that are on neutral fields, they closely mirror the difference in points in the F+ system. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team that is ranked higher in F plus not be favored on a neutral field unless there is a major injury or something drastic has happened.

In every facet of every field in the United States, analytics and granular data is being used to inform decisions and sports is no different, especially when you see the analytics departments for all professional teams in every professional sport. This also applies to college sports that is $1 billion industry.

Last edited:
Reactions: deadirishpoet
You always see the people coming in and dunking on his posts mostly because of the negativity involved, but he has been consistent in using this metric which now paints that Notre Dame is steadily and incrementally structurally getting better.

Also, when you look at the initial point spreads in games that are on neutral fields, they closely mirror the difference in points in the F+ system. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team that is ranked higher in F plus not be favored on a neutral field unless there is a major injury or something drastic has happened.

In every facet of every field in the United States, analytics and granular data is being used to inform decisions and sports is no different, especially when you see the analytics departments for all professional teams in every professional sport. This also applies to college sports that is $1 billion industry.
Yawn.

Highly disagree with Freeman choosing to play Angeli. Minchey has the higher ceiling and he’s been practicing for an entire year now. He should be the guy and he should be ready. Not to mention Angeli might very well transfer after the bowl game which means we wasted live game reps on someone else’s QB.
Regarding Minchey and being "...ready..," what have you seen at practice that tells you this?

Yawn.

Why couldn't Minchey transfer ? Is that illegal or something ?

I can just visualize the conversation in the QB Room announcing Minchey as the starter.

" Steve we know you've outplayed Minch in practice but he has a higher upside so he's going to start "

Clown Show

Reactions: hvillebill
Why couldn't Minchey transfer ? Is that illegal or something ?

I can just visualize the conversation in the QB Room announcing Minchey as the starter.

" Steve we know you've outplayed Minch in practice but he has a higher upside so he's going to start "

Clown Show
Not just at ND but across league

Who's to say, if Minchey started that he wouldn't transfer? Then they would have wasted live game reps on him.

You can't worry about who MIGHT transfer. You play whoever has performed the best in practice and gives you the best chance at winning the game.

Your line of thinking is almost like that of Chase. "Well, so-and-so was a three-star but this guy was a four-star so that settles the question of who starts".

Nessler and Danielson to announce game. Definitely an upgrade over collinsworth/garret
Lundquist & Danielson did the 2010 Sun Bowl. Frosh QB Tommy Rees leading ND to a 33-17 victory over the U. With incoming new HC Al Golden in attendance for the U. My how time flies.

Reactions: Chitown11
The running back has been cleared and will play
I read that while Martinez was cleared to play, the interim HC (Trent Bray) announced Martinez wouldn't play because he hasn't practiced with the team since the Oregon game. I'm not sure I understand why, since the Oregon game was OSU's final game of the season, but that is what the coach publicly stated. I guess we will see.

I read that while Martinez was cleared to play, the interim HC (Trent Bray) announced Martinez wouldn't play because he hasn't practiced with the team since the Oregon game. I'm not sure I understand why, since the Oregon game was OSU's final game of the season, but that is what the coach publicly stated. I guess we will see.
Principles matter

Principles matter
That would seem to be the underlying explanation, which is a good thing, if true.

On a different subject, I am interested to see how well KK Smith might play for ND, if we get to see him in the game. He hasn't played this year due to a shoulder injury, but apparently is now cleared to play. He is a small guy with a ton of speed. It might be a tall ask to expect much from Smith in his first game and with the second string QB, but Smith and Faison would put a lot of speed on the field at the same time.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT