Posts Like A Champion
Nov 16, 2012

Its been fading for about twenty years; and bleeding bad the last five or so
Went Woke on the Swimsuit Edition and that was just the last bit of it left

Its been garbage as far as actual sports reporting for years

It has zero to do with "going woke" and everything to do with people ditching magazines en masse in favor of home PCs.

The market for weekly news and “exclusive” color photos ended a long time ago, it’s amazing they hung on as long as they did, it’s a testament to the nostalgia related to the anticipation we felt as teenagers when the new edition arrived each week and we found out who was on the cover.

It has zero to do with "going woke" and everything to do with people ditching magazines en masse in favor of home PCs.
others are surviving online but not surprised you missed everything else that was going on there like transgender swimsuit models and so on

IMO it hasn't been garbage as far as actual sports reporting. Far from it.

You're probably right, and I don't know how 'woke' they ever became. But it doesn't help, if you're dealing with sports fans, I wouldn't think, if you needlessly pander to that sensibility. Lots of sports fans hate that shit. Bud Light's recent marketing debacle being in a case of point. They're not going to go out business but they definitely took a huge hit.

Sad news, as far as I am concerned. SI was once THE preeminent sports magazine. It had a stable of great writers, such as Frank Deford and Dan Jenkins. I was a subscriber to SI for 30+ years and looked forward to receiving my issue every week. I have a couple of SI covers hanging on my wall at home, including one signed by Manti Te`o when he was on the cover. But this news about SI possibly going under is the grim reality of the news business these days. Daily newspapers and magazines are struggling to survive. Judging by some of the news illteracy I see with the younger generations these days, they aren't getting their news on their smartphone or PC, they just don't bother with the news at all. Today it's all about clickbait and internet influencers. That may sound like the old "GET OFF MY LAWN" speech, but that is just the plain truth.

Reactions: chaseball
SI is and has been garbage for years, a left leaning agenda is behind virtually every article. No different than most of the media today.

SI is and has been garbage for years, a left leaning agenda is behind virtually every article. No different than most of the media today.
And it seems so counterproductive in the sports world. SI was always a fairly literary publication, in that they had good writers, serious writers, and wanted to create compelling narratives, unlike say Sporting News which was always more about the stats and the transactions and whatnot. Point being they didn't need to up their game, they were already a dignified institution. Whether any clumsy or alienating lurch to the left in their editorial stance has affected their readership or not, it seemed unnecessary, if also bad business....

And it seems so counterproductive in the sports world. SI was always a fairly literary publication, in that they had good writers, serious writers, and wanted to create compelling narratives, unlike say Sporting News which was always more about the stats and the transactions and whatnot. Point being they didn't need to up their game, they were already a dignified institution. Whether any clumsy or alienating lurch to the left in their editorial stance has affected their readership or not, it seemed unnecessary, if also bad business....
👍

At some point many years ago they switched from a magazine reporting on the wonder and magic of our sports heroes to a magazine dedicated to exposing and tearing down every one of our sports heroes

At some point many years ago they switched from a magazine reporting on the wonder and magic of our sports heroes to a magazine dedicated to exposing and tearing down every one of our sports heroes
Became a nature magazine with those whales on the beach!

• Haha
Reactions: HarlemIrish
I remember the first time I received Sports Illustrated in the mail. It was December 1981 with Sugar Ray Leonard as the sportsman of the year. And I was a loyal subscriber and reader, till it went to a once a month publication boy did Sports Illustrated go to hell quickly, so sad

On cover of sports illustrated came quite often for us. The last time? Dice twice

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT