ADVERTISEMENT

Football Some quick notes from my 1-on-1 today with Marcus Freeman

Eric Hansen

Posts Like A Champion
Staff
Dec 31, 2021
I met with Marcus Freeman this morning for 30 minutes, and split my time between catching up on team status things and big-picture questions. ... I'll post the big-picture story Friday morning. which will include progress on Notre Dame's incoming transfer policy, the Gug expansion, NIL and recruiting and more. I'll also update the depth chart this afternoon, based on our conversations and have a notebook that I'll post later today.

For now, wanted to share some notes with our subscribers:

Health-wise the returning players and the newcomers are in a pretty good place. Freshman OT Charles Jagusah (PCL) and the two tight ends recovering from ACL tears -- Eli Raridon and Kevin Bauman -- are the only players Freeman said that are not doing 100 percent of the workouts the rest of their teammates are. He said Raridon and Bauman are doing a lot, just not the volume of the others. He expects them both to be 100 percent when training camp starts in late July.

CB Christian Gray, S Ben Minich, S Adon Shuler, S Thomas Harper, DL Devan Houstan, TE Mitchell Evans, OG Billy Schrauth and RB Jadarian Price are "all 100 percent".

Freeman said bringing in Penn State RB transfer Devyn Ford was NOT done to be insurance in case Price had a recovery setback from his ruptured Achilles tendon suffered last June. Ford had a skill set the ND coaches felt they were lacking in their running back room, and they felt like he could help them be a better team.

Freeman said that ND did its due diligence, but didn't seriously kick the tires on a QB transfer for depth after Tyler Buchner opted in late April to transfer to Alabama. He said he feels comfortable and confident in the three scholarship QBs he has in Sam Hartman, Steve Angeli and Kenny Minchey.

Freeman has only had the chance to see the 11 June-arriving freshmen run with the veteran players once since they started summer school classes on Monday, but the speed of Jeremiyah Love and Kaleb "KK" Smith impressed him, as did the way defensive linemen Boubacar Traore and Brenan Vernon moved.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News