ADVERTISEMENT

So much for the star ranking system

bill_surfs

Shakes Down The Thunder
Mar 3, 2009
Tre Nixon is only a three star on rivals, but has 34 offers already. I'm guessing he'll be adding a forth star soon with that offer list. Any early indications on other 2016 that could be leaning toward the Irish?

Originally posted by bill_surfs:
Tre Nixon is only a three star on rivals, but has 34 offers already. I'm guessing he'll be adding a forth star soon with that offer list. Any early indications on other 2016 that could be leaning toward the Irish?
Tre is a super "yes sir/no sir" kid. Straight A's in honors classes. Saw him play 5-6 times this year as a junior (his Viera HS team was undefeated and lost in the FL playoffs). Have had him in different classes numerous times. I'm a preferred sub at his HS. An ex-teacher and I teach there for the fun of it.

Spoke with him personally last Friday in US government class. Asked him about recent offers and he said last week that he had numerous recent offers. I asked him about the notables and he said last week he was offered from Bama, Auburn, Tenn and Arizona State. Already had offers from Florida and too many other lesser known schools to list.

He indicated he's not leaning anywhere yet. He didn't mention an offer from ND but that doesn't mean anything. I didn't ask him about ND or any school specifically. There are a number of high profile schools he didn't mention specifically like UGA, OSU, Miami, Texas and USCe just to name a few.

He may get a 4th star by the end of next season. He's extremely fast (4.35), about 6'1" 170 I guess. A little light but has the body to gain another 20 lbs easily. I asked him about camps this summer and he said he might attend several including one on the west coast.

His brother just signed with Western Kentucky. Good receiver and kid as well but Tre is the better FB player of the two. Whoever lands him will get a great kid with solid character and a very good FB receiver.

story related

Not sure a 5 year lookback isn't to far because the really successful recruits are gone and the 5th year guys are still at best trying to 'prove something'.
3 year lookbacks seem more accurate.

I would expect Clemson and UCLA to be more a factor than UF.

This post was edited on 2/15 8:16 PM by perseverare

rankings

Screw following recruiting. What's the point? Seems pointless to me. ND will get who they get and go 8-4. Rinse. Repeat.

ND bball is where it's at in 15-16!

Do the coaches ask the " guru star raters" who they think is worth recruiting? Or do the gurus ask the coaches? It's all a blur.

Reactions: end_23
ND may not win it all, but the darned offensive speed and skill level in the next 4 years will be exciting. Over all the offensive roster might be among ND's best. The WR's and TE's are as a group Elite.

Last edited:
just watched a vid of Tony Jones at a football camp (top Gun)
As a RB he is quick and powerful; out of the backfield he is as good a reciever as you will find at the WR position.
2x3*'s impressive; was the top guy at his position!

whoopps!!!!

and the next day I read that 247 drops him a star! wth!

Last edited:
The star system is just another man's opinion JMHO.

from 247 site post:
SEC Preseason All-Star First Team.....
Dak Prescott- 3 Star
Nick Chubb- 5 star
Leonard Fournette- 5 star
Laquon Treadwell- 5 star
D'haquille Williams- 5 star JUCO player
Evan Engram- 3 star
Cam Robinson- 5 star
Laremy Tunsil- 5 star
Vadal Alexander- 4 star
John Theus- 5 star
Ryan Kelly- 4 star

Robert Nkemdiche- 5 star
A'Shawn Robinson- 5 star
Myles Garrett- 5 star
Carl Lawson- 5 star
Reggie Ragland- 4 star
Jordan Jenkins- 5 star
Curt Maggitt- 4 star
Vernon Hargreaves- 5 star
Cyrus Jones- 4 star
Jonathan Jones- 3 star
Jalen Mills- 3 star

4x 3 star
5x 4 star
13x 5 star

and understand that there are only 25+- 5*'s a season.

draw your own conclusion.

Reactions: chaseball
it makes no sense to me how people will continue to perpetuate the myth that recruit rankings don't matter even though there's mountains of evidence to the contrary.

The reason this is always such a heated topic is that neither side is wrong. I'll go as far as to suggest that it's a fact that to remain competitive at the very top coaches must both recruit at a high level and continually develop players at a high level, regardless of star rating. We've seen that on rare occasions programs can stay competitive for a time despite average recruiting, but how long is the question? We've also seen a head coach win a national championship (see Gene Chizik) with a special group of players (in his case Cam Newton was the key ingredient) but unless said coaches continue to develop their recruited talent, their demise will be the same as Chizik's.

Recruiting and developing players may be mutually exclusive endeavours, however, they become intriquately connected when you talk about the security and continuity of your program.

Reactions: Bodizephax
you never see mich st in the top 20 rankings wise for recruiting classes but all they do now days is have a top 12 ranked football team just about every year

Recruiting rankings are not the end all. However, I certainly agree that having four 5 star , twelve 4 star and three 3 star recruits is most likely better than twenty 3 star recruits. The star ranking system is a barometer but it's not an exact science. One key ingredient I believe gets missed is attrition. I don't have exact numbers but how many recruits end up leaving ND over a four year period. If you looks at that number, a class that might be singed as a top 5 class could end up by junior year no better than a top 20 class due to players leaving. Really it all comes down to stringing top classes together and developing them. Kelly has done a great job with bringing in talent. My issue with Kelly is his game day decisions. His coaching decisions have cost them quite a few games. Tulsa is one example. So for all those who think doom and gloom because of recruiting, I would say not so fast, the talent is there. Kelly has a team now that is built to run. If he runs, they will win. If he decides to air it out, they don't win. Just my two cents worth nothing more.

look the truth is if ND was getting the elites then ND fans would be fans of the ranking system.
But on the outside looking in the only thing to be done is discredit the process.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT