ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question, WTH is a starting punter entering the transfer portal???

Could be a million reasons including some delusional people in his sphere of influence telling him he something special. When in reality a punter is the least important guy on the football team.

In a 21 point football game, the guy selling hot dogs is more important than the punter.

Could be a million reasons including some delusional people in his sphere of influence telling him he something special. When in reality a punter is the least important guy on the football team.

In a 21 point football game, the guy selling hot dogs is more important than the punter.
Ugh, the punter is very important. You are plain wrong

Face it. A few years ago, you would just say ND is not for everyone and wish him well. Today, it's just like taking another job that gives you a nice raise. The interesting "college" football story here is that apparently the only guy on the roster with experience is a 30-year-old Army veteran.

Hi might have the opportunity for a small nil deal; or he might be struggling in the classroom; or he wants to play closer to home; or our 30 yr old military vet might be kicking better, etc…. Seems strange at first blush, but lots of possible explanations for this. I hope it’s the veteran out kicking him in practice because we absolutely need a first class punter, and it would be a great story.

I agree it could be several things; really doubt it is NIL. Classroom problems or for whatever reason does not like it here is probably the answer. Or the vet is out kicking him

He had an up and down season. Maybe we have someone better interested and he was shown the door?

Our net punting average of 30.03 from last season,ranked No. 83 in the FBS is pretty poor. Might as well go for it on 4th (I kid)! Dembrock only punted 28 times last year.

I don't get this one either.

Reactions: Terry Jillery
Our net punting average of 30.03 from last season,ranked No. 83 in the FBS is pretty poor. Might as well go for it on 4th (I kid)! Dembrock only punted 28 times last year.

yeah, I hadn’t looked at the stats. In that case it’s likely a you’re no longer Notre Dame material issue (think Clarence Lewis). We need better. It’s hard to say when we will have this big of an opportunity again to win a title. This team is stacked. We can’t afford a below average punter to screw up a close game.

yeah, I hadn’t looked at the stats. In that case it’s likely a you’re no longer Notre Dame material issue (think Clarence Lewis). We need better. It’s hard to say when we will have this big of an opportunity again to win a title. This team is stacked. We can’t afford a below average punter to screw up a close game.
"It's hard to say when Notre Dame will have this big of an opportunity to win a title."

SMH.

Winning 4 games in the CFB Playoff? Simply making the CFB Playoff and winning 1 game is a great goal.

If that happens, Marcus Freeman was successful.
I didn't say it wouldn't be successful. But this is a great oppurtunity to compete for a NC. Probably our best chance since 18

Reactions: Terry Jillery
"It's hard to say when Notre Dame will have this big of an opportunity to win a title."

SMH.
Can you predict the future? Sounds like maybe you think too highly of yourself. Talent alone doesn’t always transfer to on the field success. We know what we have this season. It’s a special group.

Can you predict the future? Sounds like maybe you think too highly of yourself. Talent alone doesn’t always transfer to on the field success. We know what we have this season. It’s a special group.
"...a special group."

I simply hope to win at TAM.

Again. Hope.

Ray Guy says hi. Look him up!

ND has to trim the roster anyway to get to 85. Would you prefer a punter defect or a skill position player?

ND has to trim the roster anyway to get to 85. Would you prefer a punter defect or a skill position player?
A bottom of the roster no potential guy over our starting punter if he was the best punter on the roster. Easy one

From the article on the home page:

McFerson averaged 45.1 yards per punt on 38 attempts last season with 13 reaching 50-plus yards. He didn't meet the NCAA minimum of 3.6 punts per game needed to qualify in the NCAA's official statistical rankings. His average would have been tied for 18th in the FBS if he met the threshold.

So even though ND ranked 83rd in net punting average, I don't think you could lay it all at his feet. That kid from USC had a couple big returns last year, which alone could have skewed the results.

I also don't see anything that says McFerson was in danger of losing his job, so maybe he just didn't like ND.

I hope we're looking at the kid from Louisville who went in the portal.

I think he's an Aussie kid-----very good I'm told.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT