ADVERTISEMENT

Football Riley Leonard's surgery details

Tyler James

I've posted how many times?
Staff
Dec 31, 2021
Notre Dame QB Riley Leonard spoke to local reporters for the first time today. I'll have a story on him this evening covering a number of topics, but I wanted to first share with you all the details he shared about his ankle surgery.

First, I should note that he bounced up the stairs before speaking to reporters. It was almost as if he was proving to anyone paying attention that he was fine.

He said had high ankle tightrope surgery two weeks ago and expects to be back in a couple weeks. As @Eric Hansen previously reported, he expects to be 100% by the start of spring practice.

The reason he only recently had surgery was because the plan was to see how the injury healed. When he arrived at Notre Dame, it was explained to him that, based on how it had healed, there was a higher risk of reinjuring the ankle without the surgery. So he went ahead and had it done in January.

Leonard on how he feels:

"I feel great. I'm bouncing around. Obviously, no boot, nothing. You probably wouldn't even realized I got surgery. That story broke a couple days ago. It wasn't really a secret. I tell people all the time, I was riding around campus in my electric wheelchair thing just scooting around. I was embracing it."

He hopes to be back in a couple weeks. In workouts, he's doing mostly everything except for sprinting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News